Default Free fuel

There gotta try and sell em some how!
Old 15-08-2005, 10:34 AM   #32
SunDrifter
To shreads you say?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFXR8HOBART
There gotta try and sell em some how!

As much as i dislike holden as a brand, you'de have to agree that their sales figures are still better then fords. That said, i've done my part and bought a new on this year.

Ford NEEDS to shoot their current marketing department and poach holdens (marketing dept). If they scraped the "you'de be popular too..." crap and actually showed more of the cars and highlighted the good stuff we'd be way ahead. Maybe get a aussie celeb to promote ford (somebody better then that bogan hughsie (couldn't be hard)). They should show how Ford Aust. is more Australian then Holden, and where your money goes when you buy a holden.

But back to the point. I think as a sales gimick, its again another good one from the crap factory.
I've owned Holdens and Daewoos, and had plenty of problems with Holdens and none with Daewoos. Of course, the Holden is the more desirable car to own and drive, but based on my experience it is not the higher quality of the two.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickHolden
Weight means nothing to a cars handling...
:
Old 15-08-2005, 10:46 AM   #33
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDrifter
But back to the point. I think as a sales gimick, its again another good one from the crap factory.
Gimicks mean a great deal to Australia.

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Old 15-08-2005, 10:51 AM   #34
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Holden is discounting heavily in many segment to retain sales. If it was up to the punter I dont think many would take the free fuel over a $2K or $4K discount, but the fuel offer serves 2 and possibly 3 purposes.

#1. It impresses the unthinking, who will assume $4K is a lot of fuel or a big part of the cost of running a vehicle in scheme of things.

#2. The Fuel offer isn't taken into account in the vehicles value calculations, $4k off at purchase = % when calculating resale.

#3. There is probably some fine print that meens the mug private punter will only be able to take partial financial advantage of the offer.
Old 15-08-2005, 10:52 AM   #35
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

$4k of fuel.... you'd probably want it with when you the 6 litre club, no?

Hmmm cant help but feel giving fuel away does little to ease the price of the stuff....
Old 15-08-2005, 11:41 AM   #36
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think its a great move by Holden to give 4k of free fuel whenever you purchase a new Commodore.

And with the way fuel is at the moment why wouldnt you buy one?
Old 15-08-2005, 11:51 AM   #37
parawolf
beep beep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VY18s
I think its a great move by Holden to give 4k of free fuel whenever you purchase a new Commodore.

You wouldn't buy one, because after that first $2k or $4k of petrol, it is still going to cost you an arm and a leg to fill up. $4k might last you 12 months. After that - wow. :
Old 15-08-2005, 02:00 PM   #38
XD-Machine
proud xd owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by parawolf
You wouldn't buy one, because after that first $2k or $4k of petrol, it is still going to cost you an arm and a leg to fill up. $4k might last you 12 months. After that - wow. :
yeah but on the other hand gas saves you money long term. if ford wanna do somethink they need to give away gas conversions with there cars and sell the efficency of gas to their customers. for example my dad's au on gas is cheaper to run them my money's nissin pulsar, a 4L cheaper then a 2L to run, screw petrol

My XD's progress http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=20847
Old 15-08-2005, 02:34 PM   #39
Gammaboy
Grinder+Welder = Race car

I woulda thought they'd be better off offering $4k worth of free oil for the rattly old chev motor :P
Old 15-08-2005, 02:49 PM   #40
vino3o2
owning V8=having no $$$

Quote:

Hmmm... I'd rather use the free fuel on my ford, then I could use the Holden for that boat anchor Iv'e been after

The Reality: 13.1 @ 106mph.... The Goal: somehow get into the 12s!!! :sm_headba

www.qldsuperkart.org
Old 15-08-2005, 08:58 PM   #41
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Guys I've just had the most horrible thought....what if ..Holden in order to keep their sales suddenly ...offered...no deposit..no interest and no repayments till 2007....oh no their up there with the H. Normans etc....it could happen. Or has it already?

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
Old 15-08-2005, 09:07 PM   #42
Gammaboy
Grinder+Welder = Race car

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McMaster
Guys I've just had the most horrible thought....what if ..Holden in order to keep their sales suddenly ...offered...no deposit..no interest and no repayments till 2007....oh no their up there with the H. Normans etc....it could happen. Or has it already?
It'd be a great way for them to send themselves broke....
Old 15-08-2005, 09:14 PM   #43
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gammaboy
It'd be a great way for them to send themselves broke....

Yes..yes please may it happen and put an end to all this FvH crap.lol

2000 AUII SE ute IL6
Old 15-08-2005, 09:23 PM   #44
347Stroker
Banned

But as the old saying goes, pertaining to Holdens.....

Try and try as hard as you like........you just cant polish a turd.

I guess no matter how hard you try and make it look different, its still sheite
Old 16-08-2005, 12:15 AM   #45
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Yes..yes please may it happen and put an end to all this FvH crap.lol
What's wrong with a bit of FvH every so often?
It's like going to a football match with a mate that barracks for the other team, it's all a good laugh in the end, hopefully :hihi:
Old 16-08-2005, 01:34 AM   #46
Franky
Bring back the Phase

Oh boy, Hyundai are offering similar deals now! C'mon Ford pull your head in.

And VY18s because this is a FORD forum! Holden's best move at the moment would be to **** off Dave Hughs, boy that guy needs a smack
Old 16-08-2005, 01:52 AM   #47
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Would anyone complain if Ford gave away free fuel and say it was to move their "crap"?
Old 16-08-2005, 02:09 AM   #48
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
Would anyone complain if Ford gave away free fuel and say it was to move their "crap"?
You Betcha, what you win on one end you lose on the other. All the public discounts etc are smoke & mirrors. If they have $4K to offer take it off the base vehicle. Especially given most of these vehicles are financed, a % or two here or there and bingo, that $4K never existed.....

We didn't all come down in the last shower...!!!
Old 16-08-2005, 02:13 AM   #49
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 347stroker
Try and try as hard as you like........you just cant polish a turd.
Correct, but my dad taught me if you wrap e in chocolate you'll sell it everytime.
Old 16-08-2005, 02:26 PM   #50
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Racer
And VY18s because this is a FORD forum! Holden's best move at the moment would be to **** off Dave Hughs, boy that guy needs a smack
Man I know this is a Ford forum.

But as someone else said before it would most likely only last 12 months but think about the money you would save in that 12 months.

I also believe Nissan is also giving away $1500 whenever you purchase a new Nissan so what would be Fords response to this free fuel sceem?

Man I hope this doesnt turn into a Holden vs Ford s***fight.

***Puts on Holden protective flame suit***

Last edited by Ryan; 16-08-2005 at 02:36 PM.
Old 16-08-2005, 03:26 PM   #51
XA Coupsta
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Guys get a bit of reality into this.

The average care does 20,000 km per year.
An approximate fuel usage for a "semi rev head" might be about 15l/100 km

So every year 3000l of fuel is used.

At about $1.33 per litre this equals about $4000.

Now lets see...

New VZ SS with a few goodies, $ 50,000 (actual cost inc rego ins etc)
Value of 2004 VY SS (1 year old) $ 32,000 = $18k gone
rego for next year $1000
Insurance $1-3000 (depending on who you are and where you live)
Tyres $1500

Petrol is not a huge cost in the big picture.

Sorry - gotta disagree. Even by your math you save a GENUINE 4k off running a vehicle. Big cost..........little cost......whatever - its still a saving.

Sure in comparative terms against the cost of the vehicle it is a drop in the ocean - agreed. However if you cant pay the 50k loan you went and got for a car, if you cant service it or keep tyres on it - you were a dimwit to begin with - and 4k in fuel savings wont change a thing. I also dont think someone who is so financially challenged would make a 50k decision based on 4k. "Hmmmm I cant afford a new car....but I'll go buy one coz they offer 4k of free fuel". I dont see it happening.

I believe it just helps those people who were going to spend 50k to begin with - who to go and spend it with.

Maybe it's too hard for some of the Ford enthusiasts on here to admit when a competitor has played a better card than their own company.

Dunno.

But I'm yet to see how anyone can argue that this isnt a legitimate $4000 saving when running a car, and even if you try and discount how far fuel goes or whatever - 4k is 4k however you look at it.

The smartness lies in the addressing of the current climate of rising fuel costs. They could also offer interest free periods or something else to discount 4k - but they did it smart by pinpointing a current concern from the consumers point of view relating to operating a vehicle. Fuel.

Well done Holden.

Last edited by XA Coupsta; 16-08-2005 at 03:37 PM.
Old 16-08-2005, 03:54 PM   #52
OLS108
LS1 owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick69
: They NEED to give away fuel to sell their cars???
Take a look at the sales figures for the last 8 years then honestly say that again.
Oh and I forgot....Ford in it's entire history has never made any special offers to shift some extra stock???
I thought they Gave away a whole of the AU's. No one in the world would want one of the uglyest cars EVER MADE
Old 16-08-2005, 06:17 PM   #53
Franky
Bring back the Phase

Quote:
Man I know this is a Ford forum
That's good mate but it was in reponse to youjr "why wouldn't you buy one" comment. I don't think many of us would even if they gave away $10,000 worth of fuel :
Old 16-08-2005, 08:34 PM   #54
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Holden can afford to give $4000 of free fuel because their margins in the cars are much higher than Ford. If you break it down to actual component costs you will see that the ford is more expensive than the holden. Good example of this is the auto trannies. Fords box is around $4-5k to buy from btr, Holdens is around $1200. Ford also do not have the same numbers as holden and therefore cannot depreciate tooling costs as much as holden. In short, Ford have newer technology in their cars, cost more to produce and therefore have lower margins.

This also goes to part of the reason for their sales success. As most Holdens go to fleets, they offer bigger discounts than ford. To a fleet, a falcon costs around $25k-$27k, and a holden is around the $20-22k mark. Someone like telstra fleet or onyx would be mad to spend the extra $5k each on any number of cars. That's why something like 98% of commy executives are fleeters. Same with Hire Cars too, Holden are offering big discounts on caprices and statesmans, like 40% off retail, and Ford can only do 25%. Simple
Old 16-08-2005, 08:42 PM   #55
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS108
I thought they Gave away a whole of the AU's. No one in the world would want one of the uglyest cars EVER MADE
I'd be very careful making comments like that! AU has a very passionate fan base, and you wouldn't want to be suprised special guest at a Lynching, now would you.

GM brought us the HQ a definate trailblazer in all around ugly looks and behavior stakes. In comparison the AU is just a little odd to look at and a damn fine motor car.
Old 16-08-2005, 09:53 PM   #56
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So has no one realised that AU is the chemical symbol for gold and thats what the AU is it brought Ford back..so its gold.

2000 AUII SE ute IL6
Old 16-08-2005, 10:44 PM   #57
rick69
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd
Holden can afford to give $4000 of free fuel because their margins in the cars are much higher than Ford. If you break it down to actual component costs you will see that the ford is more expensive than the holden. Good example of this is the auto trannies. Fords box is around $4-5k to buy from btr, Holdens is around $1200. Ford also do not have the same numbers as holden and therefore cannot depreciate tooling costs as much as holden. In short, Ford have newer technology in their cars, cost more to produce and therefore have lower margins.

This also goes to part of the reason for their sales success. As most Holdens go to fleets, they offer bigger discounts than ford. To a fleet, a falcon costs around $25k-$27k, and a holden is around the $20-22k mark. Someone like telstra fleet or onyx would be mad to spend the extra $5k each on any number of cars. That's why something like 98% of commy executives are fleeters. Same with Hire Cars too, Holden are offering big discounts on caprices and statesmans, like 40% off retail, and Ford can only do 25%. Simple
Can you show us any concrete evidence of these figures or are you just pulling them out of your ****???
Old 16-08-2005, 10:45 PM   #58
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick69
Can you show us any concrete evidence of these figures or are you just pulling them out of your ****???
That is not the way to ask for clarification! How many times will you need to be warned! Remeber where you are!!!
Old 16-08-2005, 10:49 PM   #59
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lol hear we go again. The nightly debate between rick69 and RED_EL_XR8. You guys should have your own sub forum i reckon or maybe a tv spot it would make for great entertainment.
Old 16-08-2005, 11:07 PM   #60
rick69
Banned

Quote:
So has no one realised that AU is the chemical symbol for gold and thats what the AU is it brought Ford back..so its gold.
Didn't the AU just about spell the end of Ford Australia?? :
Closed Thread