Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 20-04-2016, 09:55 PM   #1
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 
Default Why don't most car makers install an engine bay light?

I've often wondered, especially in this day and age with all the tech, gadgets and options available in new cars, why car makers don't offer a simple under bonnet engine bay light?

I mean we have courtesy lights in foot wells, the boot, cabin, glove boxes, back seat passenger reading lights, make up lights in sun visors, even under door "puddle lighting" so your shoes don't get wet

So why no engine bay light?

Would be so useful for checking your oil in the dark, roadside breakdowns at night, etc.

I know its not the expense, especially on luxury cars or high end models, as an LED light would cost manufacturers no more than a few bucks.

I know it’s not because of the heat in the engine bay or the chance of the light causing a spark and explosion, etc., because its quite possible to make both heatproof and spark proof lights and casings.

Even buying an aftermarket purpose built flat dome type light with the above criteria, you could install under your bonnet with wiring kit is not readily available at auto shops.

So in your opinion.... Why is this?

In fact, can you name any "production" cars that come with them off the top of your head?
(No googling or cheating)
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post