Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-11-2014, 10:26 PM   #31
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 
Default Re: Updated Explorer to Replace Territory Possible

While that might look Land/Range Rover ish (ref. clamshell bonnet ) its the upcoming Land Rover Discovery Sport that looks to me like it should be the successor to the Territory.

That styling is spot on IMHO, not overdone like the Americans seem to prefer.

So is the Blue Oval morphing into the Green Oval or vice versa.

Explorer replacing Territory - I don't believe it.

Last edited by Raptor; 20-11-2014 at 10:42 PM.
Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 20-11-2014, 10:41 PM   #32
xr8territory
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor View Post
While that might look Land/Range Rover ish (ref. clamshell bonnet ) its the upcoming Land Rover Discovery Sport that looks to me like it should be the successor to Territory.

That styling is spot on IMHO, not overdone like the Americans seem to prefer.

So is the Blue Oval morphing into the Green Oval or vice versa.

Didn't Ford own Land Rover and Jag? Was that around 2000?
XW UTE, XW FAIRMONT, XT GT, XT Fairmont, EF XR8, XH XR8 UTE, XH XR8 UTE, AU UTE, Renault Scenic, XF UTE, BA XR8 UTE, TERRITORY, Chrysler Voyager, WS FIESTA ZETEC,TERRITORY TITANIUM, BA UTE, Nissan Pathfinder, AU Falcon Forte, BA XR8 UTE.
xr8territory is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2014, 10:45 PM   #33
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr8territory View Post
Didn't Ford own Land Rover and Jag? Was that around 2000?
Yep, same time Territory was developed. Coincidence?

Here's another pic.

Old 20-11-2014, 10:47 PM   #34
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Another wonderful One Ford Product.
You can have any Ford you want.............except for that One... that One.... & that One...
Oh don't don't even bother looking at that One or that One, we are stopping production....
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2014, 10:58 PM   #35
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor View Post
Yep, same time Territory was developed. Coincidence?

Here's another pic.

Discovery sport is to Territory what Mercedes CLS is to AU .☺️
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2014, 11:05 PM   #36
xr8territory
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumoDog68 View Post
Discovery sport is to Territory what Mercedes CLS is to AU .☺️
Yeh your right. The CLS is ugly compared to the AU.
XW UTE, XW FAIRMONT, XT GT, XT Fairmont, EF XR8, XH XR8 UTE, XH XR8 UTE, AU UTE, Renault Scenic, XF UTE, BA XR8 UTE, TERRITORY, Chrysler Voyager, WS FIESTA ZETEC,TERRITORY TITANIUM, BA UTE, Nissan Pathfinder, AU Falcon Forte, BA XR8 UTE.
xr8territory is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2014, 12:33 AM   #37
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

I think whats more likely is FoMoCo and Jaguar/LandRover each have their design departments headed by a pair of brothers, Moray Callum at Ford and Ian Callum at JLA, and we're still seeing a familiar look to the SUV's after Evos/Fusion-Mondeo/Mustang etc had a Jaguar/Aston Martin appearance to them.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2014, 07:37 AM   #38
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin View Post
And an X5 is made in the US...
Yes that would make me nervous! But the theory is that it's designed by BMW and quality supervision should be the same as in any overseas factory (cough, choke).

BMW has shot itself in the foot with run-flat tyres - which might be alright and drive in the city only. And then there's the price. Ford benchmarked the design of the Territory by the X5, but for less than half the price! But nowhere near half the quality, maybe about 2/3. BMWs aren't value for money, that's for sure.
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2014, 09:39 AM   #39
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ford View Post
Call me prejudiced but our Ford journey will be coming to an end when we've exhausted the Territorys. It's beyond imagination that the Americans could produce anything as good as the Territory (or the Falcon for that matter)
do yourself a favour, and at least have a test drive of whatever comes over before you defect. The new Yanks cars are much better than anything tey've previously sent us.
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2014, 09:52 AM   #40
XtRmn8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What about the 7 seat Edge as a Territory replacement?

Old 21-11-2014, 10:13 AM   #41
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley View Post
do yourself a favour, and at least have a test drive of whatever comes over before you defect. The new Yanks cars are much better than anything tey've previously sent us.
Yes I will. Don't worry I'm not totally pig-headed, just 90% ;)
Old 26-11-2014, 06:24 PM   #42
timeout

The explorer glasshouse looks like the territory

Edge is ok.too
timeout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2014, 10:54 PM   #43
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Explorer isn't being developed in RHD, so rules it out for us. Edge has been developed for global markets, and has a 7 seater version, it is the most direct tezz equivalent. Everest will take care of the serious off roaders, exciting times ahead!

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 27-11-2014, 07:04 PM   #44
Matty4
Banana

Is the Edge going to be available as a 7 seater?
According to Ford USA website it's only available as a 5 seater.
Old 27-11-2014, 07:10 PM   #45
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty4 View Post
Is the Edge going to be available as a 7 seater?
According to Ford USA website it's only available as a 5 seater.
A 7 seater has been developed for the Chinese market, those pictures above are of it

Ford say they haven't determined whether they will make it available globally but they're fooling themselves if they won't, Euro markets as well as Australia will go for it

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2014, 11:25 PM   #46
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
You'd have to look at something like an X5 to get a similar driving experience. And they ain't exactly cheap.
I had long drives of an X3 and X5 today. The X5 is a bit of a big truck, I'd say designed for the USA luxury wannabe offroad market. It's handling isn't quite up to Territory quality. It feels more like a 4WD than the car-like, light and nimble crossover that the Territory is. It would be more in the Explorer class, but I can't imagine the Explorer bettering it.

The X3 on the other hand I was deeply impressed by. It handles like the Territory but even better. A beautiful car to drive and, unlike the Territory, you don't feel the juddering of rough surfaces through your bum. Fantastic ride. I haven't found anything closer to a worthy Territory replacement than this, so I'll await with much interest the Ford SUV replacements. But I suspect none of them will be a successful crossover like the Territory or X3.

I'm still not sure that many people understand what a crossover is - a car on stilts. Otherwise they wouldn't be trying to palm off various 4WDs onto us Territory types!

This is the current (post 2011) X3 by the way, not the original disaster but a completely different vehicle. It and the X5 have grown. The X5 is now bigger than the Territory, the X3 is almost Territory size. It's 20 cm shorter in length but every other dimension is only about 2-7 cm smaller. If you're past the baby boom like us and don't need those 3 child seats in the rear or the seven seats the X3 is a neat small adjustment downsize that's near as. And er, infinitely better quality fitout!

Of course there's the economics of owning a BMW compared to a Ford which is another subject! But now I have two benchmarks to test any oncoming Ford against.
Old 27-11-2014, 11:27 PM   #47
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Incidentally the X5 is actually made in the US.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2014, 11:37 PM   #48
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior View Post
Incidentally the X5 is actually made in the US.
Yes and the X3. This question came up before in the context of my anti-American sentiments! The only thing I can say is that from the cars I looked at today, BMW has very tight control of the production. They're no South African or Thai jobs.

I know Americans can do a good job when they try - there's Boeing aircraft and my John Deere tractor hasn't fallen apart yet (touch wood)! But automobiles (apart from BMW) - I'll believe it when I see it. I've driven American cars in America some years ago and I felt that if anything in the world could provide an example to define the word "junk", they would be it.
Old 28-11-2014, 10:07 PM   #49
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ford View Post
I had long drives of an X3 and X5 today. The X5 is a bit of a big truck, I'd say designed for the USA luxury wannabe offroad market. It's handling isn't quite up to Territory quality. It feels more like a 4WD than the car-like, light and nimble crossover that the Territory is. It would be more in the Explorer class, but I can't imagine the Explorer bettering it.

The X3 on the other hand I was deeply impressed by. It handles like the Territory but even better. A beautiful car to drive and, unlike the Territory, you don't feel the juddering of rough surfaces through your bum. Fantastic ride. I haven't found anything closer to a worthy Territory replacement than this, so I'll await with much interest the Ford SUV replacements. But I suspect none of them will be a successful crossover like the Territory or X3.

I'm still not sure that many people understand what a crossover is - a car on stilts. Otherwise they wouldn't be trying to palm off various 4WDs onto us Territory types!

This is the current (post 2011) X3 by the way, not the original disaster but a completely different vehicle. It and the X5 have grown. The X5 is now bigger than the Territory, the X3 is almost Territory size. It's 20 cm shorter in length but every other dimension is only about 2-7 cm smaller. If you're past the baby boom like us and don't need those 3 child seats in the rear or the seven seats the X3 is a neat small adjustment downsize that's near as. And er, infinitely better quality fitout!

Of course there's the economics of owning a BMW compared to a Ford which is another subject! But now I have two benchmarks to test any oncoming Ford against.
Yeah the X3 is probably what the X5 was originally, in terms of size.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post