Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-10-2014, 02:30 PM   #31
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: New KIA 7 year warranty....Unlimited k's!

Current gen Lancer dates back nearly 8 years, hence its reduced price.
Only advantage it has over any other make is its warranty, so apart from that its badly outdated.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 05-10-2014, 02:35 PM   #32
Cashie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Multiple helpful contributions throughout the tech area. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chookaradley View Post
Interesting how cars are now more affordable than ever. Customer of mine gets his EL Fairmont serviced by me. Whenever I go to get the service books out the original receipt of purchase is in their. $38969 in 1997
Yep, I'm amazed that cars are one of the only things that pricing hasn't changed for many many years (hovered around $35-40k) and you keep getting more and more for your money.

Well done Kia on the 7 year unlimited full factory warranty. The previous Hyundai/Kia 5 year unlimited warranty got me into a iX35 a few years back (for Zilos benefit, not one warranty issue with that car), last week I started the process of purchasing a diesel Sportage SLi. When you do over 30,000kms a year the Koreans are hard to ignore.

Past Rides:
2017 Kia Stinger GT
2008 FG XR6 Sedan
2008 FG G6E Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2008 BF XR6 Turbo Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2003 BA XR8 Ute
2003 BA XR6 Sedan
Cashie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2014, 02:52 PM   #33
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post
Incorrect, second and subsequent owners got a 6 year warranty bumper to bumper...everything.
incorrect, Mitsubishi warranty was a 5/10 cover, 5yrs 130000 bumper to bumper, 10 yrs,160000 powertrain non transferable (which got dropped cos no one really used it)

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 05-10-2014, 02:59 PM   #34
minheim

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin View Post
Current gen Lancer dates back nearly 8 years, hence its reduced price.
Only advantage it has over any other make is its warranty, so apart from that its badly outdated.
The lancer Gsr also is very well equipped (18" alloys, body kit, auto lights/wipers, sport pedals, blue tooth streaming, paddle shifters etc) for its price and nothing comes close to it at the price. Yes the design dates back a bit now but value and warranty wise they are a good buy and in GSR form still look sharp. They are the only hatch in the lancer range now I bought one mid year and it has a good amount of carrying capacity over many of its rivals and the 2.4 litre engine has a bit more power and torque than some others. If the focus had a less worrisome auto and better warranty I would have looked at it too but it doesn't.
minheim is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2014, 03:14 PM   #35
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

I was thinking about this further today. This will have greater implications, not just on new car sales but on used cars as well.

Those who hold out and wait 2-3 years to buy a used car will now be able to buy something that is 60-75% of the cost of some new cars yet still have MORE factory warranty than the same new cars.

Owch...

I think Kia sales will DOUBLE due to this...

Buyers will favour them new and used... and because the warranty is transferable they will have far more customers going through their service departments.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 05-10-2014, 03:27 PM   #36
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by chookaradley View Post
Interesting how cars are now more affordable than ever. Customer of mine gets his EL Fairmont serviced by me. Whenever I go to get the service books out the original receipt of purchase is in their. $38969 in 1997
I reckon cars half in price every 10 years (give or take). When I mean half, I mean your money buys you twice as much car....

Take any $22,000 small car from today. To get the same list of features you would have had pay MUCH more money 10 years ago.

Actually - my 3dr manual 1999 Festiva was around $15 grand drive away, as was my wife's 2014 top spec auto Mirage.

This move by Kia will no doubt shrink margins further with other brands and force them to come to the party on price, warranty - or both.

Last edited by Yellow_Festiva; 05-10-2014 at 03:51 PM.
Old 05-10-2014, 03:35 PM   #37
BradEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Is "being well equipped" all that people care about these days when they buy a car?
BradEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2014, 03:38 PM   #38
Windsor220
Now Fordless

It all depends how long you plan on keeping the car. I have never owned a car longer than 3 years. Not many keep a car for 7. Its why Mitsubishi got rid of the 10 year warranty because no one was keeping the cars long enough. I think 5 year warranty is enough to satisfy people.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2014, 03:40 PM   #39
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradEL View Post
Is "being well equipped" all that people care about these days when they buy a car?
Not all, but it's up there.

Look at most mainstream models and their TV / Radio add campaigns.

What do they focus more on? Specs or features?

More equipment = better value for money in most buyers eyes.

Old 05-10-2014, 03:52 PM   #40
satria
FOXWHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradEL View Post
Well, yeah because most people don't have time for track days the fun to be had with a car is more focused on the interior and gadgets in the car as opposed to the dynamics of it. A bit of grunt is fun but any more than that you will just be pinged hard by the cops and it's just not worth it anymore. As long as it drives nice enough for most people that's fine because they will never even know if it handled better than it's competitor nor do they care.

All people really want nowadays is a car with lots of interesting tech to match their iphones and peace of mind.

I'll be honest with you the older I'm getting the more I'm leaning this way, just as long as I always have my XW for the weekends.
satria is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2014, 03:55 PM   #41
satria
FOXWHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor220 View Post
It all depends how long you plan on keeping the car. I have never owned a car longer than 3 years. Not many keep a car for 7. Its why Mitsubishi got rid of the 10 year warranty because no one was keeping the cars long enough. I think 5 year warranty is enough to satisfy people.
I think alot would if it was still going strong with no issues and still had new car warranty left on it though.
satria is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2014, 06:22 PM   #42
usernametaken
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
Hyundai should follow suit soon anyway considering that they share so much mechanical hardware with Kia.
If Hyundai offer the Genesis with the 7 year warranty then I'm defo in!
usernametaken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2014, 08:17 PM   #43
ute83
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post
Incorrect, it was 160,000.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo
Incorrect, second and subsequent owners got a 6 year warranty bumper to bumper...everything.

Wrong and wrong. Back in your box Zed.
ute83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2014, 09:13 PM   #44
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I was thinking about this further today. This will have greater implications, not just on new car sales but on used cars as well.

Those who hold out and wait 2-3 years to buy a used car will now be able to buy something that is 60-75% of the cost of some new cars yet still have MORE factory warranty than the same new cars.

Owch...

I think Kia sales will DOUBLE due to this...

Buyers will favour them new and used... and because the warranty is transferable they will have far more customers going through their service departments.
Yes it could be a big problem for other manufacturers.....I suspect also that KIA sales will double.
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2014, 12:56 PM   #45
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Citroen has a 6 year/unlimited warranty. I can't say I see them racing up the sales charts because of it.
naddis01 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2014, 01:17 PM   #46
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddis01 View Post
Citroen has a 6 year/unlimited warranty. I can't say I see them racing up the sales charts because of it.
Citroen is not a mainstream brand and many see their cars as an acquired taste. I actually like them, and have previously owned a Pluriel and have considered a Picasso as well when I need more seats and space.

Their resale and general desirability is tarred by the fact they are not common, and by the stigma of poor reliability and costly replacement parts that people associate with French cars in general.

I had no clue about their 6yr warranty until it was mentioned here, yet Kia have advertised it quite well.

I think the 6 yrs offered by Citroen is outstanding and will certainly pull more buyers through the doors. Will sales double? Doubt it.

Kia is a different brand with more mainstream models to target the likes of Toyota / Nissan / Ford / Holden and Mitsubishi buyers.

They have the ability to pull more sales from these brands and therefore (IMO) they will have a far greater percentage increase in sales compared to Citroen.

Both brands have introduced this recently. Would love to return to this thread in a year or 2 and see how it has reflected in their sales.

And what the competition did in reply

Old 06-10-2014, 01:45 PM   #47
EB#
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Constant helpful advice and step by step guides in easy to understand format with pictures. 

My respect for Kia (& Hyundai) is growing. I think these manufacturers have got their
heads screwed on right and this 7 year warranty will be yet another plus for their sales.

Although a factory warranty may be grounds for disputes and the ole "they all do that"
comment from the service centre, the 7 years will still provide customers with an
extended opportunity to seek assistance on major mechanical failures.

I would expect that the warranty is not contingent on servicing the vehicle at Kia,
however most of their customers will do that with the fixed (high price) service.......
which is a tidy earner in itself!
EB# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2014, 02:59 PM   #48
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB# View Post
My respect for Kia (& Hyundai) is growing. I think these manufacturers have got their
heads screwed on right and this 7 year warranty will be yet another plus for their sales.

Although a factory warranty may be grounds for disputes and the ole "they all do that"
comment from the service centre, the 7 years will still provide customers with an

I would expect that the warranty is not contingent on servicing the vehicle at Kia,
however most of their customers will do that with the fixed (high price) service.......
I wonder what fine print says about servicing? It does say you also get 7 years of roadside assist, through the Kia Fixed price servicing program I assume.

I think they may be a little more stringent on warranty claims now with 7 years (depending on where you spend your servicing dollars). Kia (like other brands) would add a margin into their servicing to claw back some profit and pay for future warranty repairs. I think if you try and save a few dollars by using a local mechanic they would want to see specific's on oil grades and other consumables to ensure they are exactly what Kia use, not just 'close enough'.

I looked up the Rio service schedule and I think over 7 years the total service price was around $2300. Which isn't that bad considering the price some people are paying to extend their factory 3 or 5 yr warranty already (and the perils that come with that extended warranty).

Last edited by Yellow_Festiva; 06-10-2014 at 03:09 PM.
Old 07-10-2014, 07:20 AM   #49
Blem
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by minheim View Post
The lancer Gsr also is very well equipped (18" alloys, body kit, auto lights/wipers, sport pedals, blue tooth streaming, paddle shifters etc) for its price and nothing comes close to it at the price. Yes the design dates back a bit now but value and warranty wise they are a good buy and in GSR form still look sharp. They are the only hatch in the lancer range now I bought one mid year and it has a good amount of carrying capacity over many of its rivals and the 2.4 litre engine has a bit more power and torque than some others. If the focus had a less worrisome auto and better warranty I would have looked at it too but it doesn't.
We just test drove the 14 Lancer GSR, 14 Mazda 3 Max & a 13 Mazda SP25.
The Lancer was a much better car. The only negative for the Lancer was the door felt light & not as solid to open or close.
The Lancer had less road noise than either of the Mazdas. The Mazda 3 had 16's with big sidewalls & was by far the noisiest of them all.
We will be buying the Lancer.
The Kia's & Hyundia's did not have a rival in power & price range.
Driveaway $25k.
Blem is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2014, 01:17 PM   #50
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB# View Post

Kia/Hyundai can offer 10 year warranty - I still would not buy one :-) they make good commuter cars but not exactly something to aspire to .
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 07-10-2014, 02:16 PM   #51
usernametaken
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

^ Have you read the reviews on the Genesis?
usernametaken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2014, 04:46 PM   #52
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

this has def got me looking at a new grande carnival for sure 7 years will def see me out on the people mover side of things

the look of the new model coming out has def made me think 3 times now

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2014, 04:59 PM   #53
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by usernametaken View Post
^ Have you read the reviews on the Genesis?
I read lot of reviews including Car and Driver ones ... 2015 Genesis V8 (420hp and 13.6 quarter) with improved handling . It is second generation Genesis and in spirit reminiscent of LS400 which was a game changer. Best part is price 55k US with Ultimate pack.
Pity Hyundai Australia has no plans to sell them in OZ. Rest of the range is pretty average.
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2014, 05:17 PM   #54
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

I have serviced our KIA myself from day dot and stamp the log book myself.. no problems so far except for an annoying buzz noise that dissapeared after some injector flush at 5000k's

The engine / 6spd trans and panel gaps everything is faultless.... will definately buy another if she doesn't want a mustang
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2014, 06:45 PM   #55
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Quote:
Add the Kia Cerato to your list now.
I would agree with that, I drove a base model a couple of months ago and I would rate it quite well, compared to the Corolla and Golf. It had a 6sp auto which is a good thing compared to a twin-clutch gearbox I think, and the base model has the non-DI engine (refer to the Ecoboost warning thread for DI issues). Build quality looked good and equipment was better than the competition. I only drove it around the suburbs so didn't get a real feel for how it behaves on a twisty road but there was nothing to indicate any issues there. Ditto I could only judge by the trip meter how much fuel it used, and again it seemed comparable to the Corolla from memory, not as good as the TSi Golf but who would want to own one of those long-term.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-10-2014, 02:03 AM   #56
PitCrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by outback_ute View Post
I would agree with that, I drove a base model a couple of months ago and I would rate it quite well, compared to the Corolla and Golf. It had a 6sp auto which is a good thing compared to a twin-clutch gearbox I think, and the base model has the non-DI engine (refer to the Ecoboost warning thread for DI issues). Build quality looked good and equipment was better than the competition. I only drove it around the suburbs so didn't get a real feel for how it behaves on a twisty road but there was nothing to indicate any issues there. Ditto I could only judge by the trip meter how much fuel it used, and again it seemed comparable to the Corolla from memory, not as good as the TSi Golf but who would want to own one of those long-term.
looking at replacing my car (as it has died), Still not 100% sure what to get but the Kia Rio with its warrenty etc are a major factor. Test drive went well but I do a lot of seal country road driving (100kms/h) so needed to know how it would go under those conditions.

1.4L Manual drove well (better than expected) at 100kms/h but was reving at 3000 the entire time, fuel was good at 6L/100kms. Only real issues was being underpowered up a steep hill and didn't feel as tight going around winding road at 110km/h

Still not sure if I should go for something with a bigger engine, but the fuel and general running cost will be more. (looking at demo Cruz and Lancer)
PitCrew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2014, 02:10 AM   #57
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In my experience the next size up cars will only use slightly more on the highway at around 6.5L/100km.
Take a look at the Cerato, I dont mind them and would probably buy one if I was in the market for that sort of thing. I certainly rate it above the Cruze, Lancer and Corolla.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2014, 02:42 AM   #58
PitCrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin View Post
In my experience the next size up cars will only use slightly more on the highway at around 6.5L/100km.
Take a look at the Cerato, I dont mind them and would probably buy one if I was in the market for that sort of thing. I certainly rate it above the Cruze, Lancer and Corolla.
Realistically should be looking at the bigger engine, but will cost $5000 more, trying to keep the cost down as after 5years I will be at 200 000kms or more. So the 5 year warranty (Pre October 2014) would still be very good.

Will test the Cerato tomorrow, Demo same price as a new Rio 1.4!
PitCrew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2014, 12:42 PM   #59
Cashie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Multiple helpful contributions throughout the tech area. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashie View Post
Yep, I'm amazed that cars are one of the only things that pricing hasn't changed for many many years (hovered around $35-40k) and you keep getting more and more for your money.

Well done Kia on the 7 year unlimited full factory warranty. The previous Hyundai/Kia 5 year unlimited warranty got me into a iX35 a few years back (for Zilos benefit, not one warranty issue with that car), last week I started the process of purchasing a diesel Sportage SLi. When you do over 30,000kms a year the Koreans are hard to ignore.
Well I picked up my MY14 Sportage SLi Diesel last week.
For those interested I'll provide some feedback on my ownership experience so far.
For some perspective, I traded a VF SV6 Ute in on the car, I've owned numerous Falcons (BA/BF/FG) and Commodores (VZ/VE/VF).
The very first thing I noticed was the noise, or the lack of noise to be precise. The car has almost no road or wind noise, especially around the drivers door area where I found both the VF and FGs bad for noise.
The build quality appears excellent, interior is well specced, and the diesel engine torque is amazing for a 2 litre, and averaging around 6.7l/100kms.
Only negative so far is the horn, it sounds like a hamster has got stuck under the bonnet somewhere...
I'm driving over 60 kms to work each day so the warranty and diesel economy should be a bonus.

Past Rides:
2017 Kia Stinger GT
2008 FG XR6 Sedan
2008 FG G6E Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2008 BF XR6 Turbo Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2003 BA XR8 Ute
2003 BA XR6 Sedan
Cashie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 23-10-2014, 03:37 PM   #60
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

its always good to have new toys Cashie .
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post