Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-12-2013, 12:36 AM   #31
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: What will happen to Toyota's Australian manufacturing activities?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevz View Post
If you have a passion for Camrys then your passion may as well be dead.
Ha, I deserve that! Still the bloody thing is one of the best cars I've owned(for an appliance).
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 14-12-2013, 10:29 AM   #32
jamies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Reds View Post
Toyota could potentially reap the benefits of being the last man standing.
I was in a managers meeting the other day and senior Toyota officials said that they are committed to keeping Toyota in Aust.. they can see that as a benefit.. We'll see how it pans out.
Old 14-12-2013, 10:41 AM   #33
XW-BAXR6T

Every one, support Toyota. buy Australian...I will be supporting Toyota...

Nick.
XW-BAXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 14-12-2013, 04:21 PM   #34
Gadgetman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not sure what will happen to Toyota but I want one of the Last Camry Sportivo's that roll off the production line. I reckon car will be worth millions one day.
Gadgetman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2013, 04:28 PM   #35
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgetman View Post
Not sure what will happen to Toyota but I want one of the Last Camry Sportivo's that roll off the production line. I reckon car will be worth millions one day.
. By that token, I guess I better start stockpiling a few low mileage Magna vr-x's and 380 GT's I can find.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2013, 04:48 PM   #36
Gadgetman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
. By that token, I guess I better start stockpiling a few low mileage Magna vr-x's and 380 GT's I can find.
Better yet. a ralliart magna bro
Old 14-12-2013, 05:47 PM   #37
jamies

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
The sad thing is a five year old Camry will fetch more money then a two year old falcon XT. They hold there value, I see it every day I saw a 06 Fpv Typhoon Ego grey with extras traded for $13k. They got a Hilux from memory.
Old 14-12-2013, 11:46 PM   #38
BroadyFord

I think I mentioned it earlier but I'll say it again.

I was told by a senior government source last week that Toyota will give manufacturing a "red-hot go" without GMH, even though they admit it will be "a serious challenge".
BroadyFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2013, 12:20 AM   #39
jamies

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadyFord View Post
I think I mentioned it earlier but I'll say it again.

I was told by a senior government source last week that Toyota will give manufacturing a "red-hot go" without GMH, even though they admit it will be "a serious challenge".
I heard this last week at a corporate meeting.
Old 16-12-2013, 11:48 AM   #40
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

are corrolla's made in Aus? Sorry for the noob question

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2013, 12:34 PM   #41
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval View Post
Nope. Our ones come from Thailand IIRC.
Old 16-12-2013, 12:46 PM   #42
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Federal Court documents reveal Toyota is seeking to cut nearly 30 benefits for workers at its Victorian plant, including pay of double-time-and-a-half on Sundays.

The carmaker's enterprise agreement, which covers roughly 2,000 workers at its Altona plant, is due to expire in March 2015.

Toyota wants to alter the agreement to help pay for wage rises due next year.

The Federal Court ruled last week that Toyota could not go ahead with an employee vote on the changes, and the carmaker says it is considering appealing the ruling.

However, the court documents gives an insight into the kind of cuts to entitlements the carmaker is aiming for.

Toyota wants to cut what it calls "out-dated and uncompetitive terms and conditions", which also include not having to provide medical certificates for five days of sick leave.

The Federal Court documents show Toyota also wants to scrap an additional payment made to workers who are required to carry out work considered to be "unusually dirty or offensive".

Toyota also wants to shorten the plants Christmas shutdown period from 21 days to the eight days, lower the number of paid training days for staff each year, a scrap a four-hour paid leave allowance for employees who donate blood.

The company has warned Holden's decision to close its Australian operations in 2017 will put "unprecedented pressure" on its ability to make cars in Australia.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-12-1...?&section=news

I think it is fair that Toyota should be able to allow the employees to vote on it.
Old 16-12-2013, 12:47 PM   #43
mif73
CNC fixer guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval View Post
Corollas were made here until the late 90's.

Since then we have had just camry and avalon and now camry / aurion (camry and aurion are basically the same car, different drivetrain and bumpers, lights).
They were looking at making an suv here too.

I think the corolla we get here is still made in japan.

As with the 3 companies making cars, most of their sales and money comes from their imported models.
Weekend Toy: S1 AU Fairlane V8 with LTD bits, Tickford 17" wheels, front and rear chin spoilers, series 2 front brake conversion with Super pro bushes, Pacemaker headers, rear muffler removed, Kings/Pedders lowered suspension, Koni adj rears, painted headlight bezels, HR 2300kg hitch, 2 stage shift kit, trans cooler, reverse cam and media player.

Wife unit's : 2010 update FG XR6, reverse cam, HR 2300kg Hitch, German Maestro speakers, parcel shelf sub, trimmed mudflaps, batman stickers.
mif73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2013, 01:12 PM   #44
Gadgetman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt View Post
Nope. Our ones come from Thailand IIRC.
Nope Australian delivered corollas actually come from Japan.
Old 16-12-2013, 01:14 PM   #45
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

^^ yeah I had a look and its Japan.
Old 16-12-2013, 01:57 PM   #46
BroadyFord

Goodbye Toyota. Seriously, what planet is this guy on?!

Quote:
Abbott hopeful Toyota will stay

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news...216-2zg15.html

Prime Minister Tony Abbott says there's a good chance Toyota can be convinced to keep making cars in Australia - but it won't involve government handouts.

Toyota will be the last company manufacturing cars in Australia by 2017, when Holden closes up shop a year after Ford shuts down local manufacturing.

Mr Abbott says he has met with Toyota head Max Yasuda in recent days and believes the company is in a very different position to Ford and Holden since it focuses heavily on exports.

"That's why I think we've got good prospects of keeping it," he told reporters on Monday while announcing the start of planned roadworks along the Great Ocean Road.

He said it was "tragic" to see Holden leave, but noted that a package designed to improve the efficiency of the industry will be announced in the coming days.

Mr Abbott said regions like Geelong, which has relied on manufacturing in the past, can shift the focus to other industries like tourism, higher education and biomedical research.

"I want to see people transition from old jobs into better jobs," he said.

But he's continuing to rule out any kind of direct assistance to the car industry.

"It will be the creativity, the dynamism and the commitment to running a successful business on their part, rather than taxpayer handouts, which will secure the future of all the businesses in this country," he said.
As someone said earlier, the federal government can no longer be trusted in ensuring the future of the car industry. They are not interested, especially given many of their frontbenchers are from inner-Sydney or outback QLD where manufacturing means nothing.

I think it should be up to the Victorian government to do what it can to ensure Toyota has a future and if that means doing all the legwork which was once the responsibility of the federal government then so be it.
BroadyFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2013, 02:16 PM   #47
GQ_Smooth
Long live the inline 6

Quote:
I think it should be up to the Victorian government to do what it can to ensure Toyota has a future and if that means doing all the legwork which was once the responsibility of the federal government then so be it.
Correct, it will impact the state government substantially more than Federal, however state finances aren't in a better position than Federal finances, essential services will have to suffer in order to keep Toyota, IMO, it's a price we need to pay and Toyota's model can be viable.

Not many autoworkers voted for Abbott, can't see him losing to much support if their life becomes substantially more difficult.

Hers
BFII Ghia
GQ_Smooth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2013, 04:30 PM   #48
GCRXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
The sad thing is a five year old Camry will fetch more money then a two year old falcon XT. They hold there value, I see it every day I saw a 06 Fpv Typhoon Ego grey with extras traded for $13k. They got a Hilux from memory.
2006 Camry is worth 6800 at tops as a trade.....17000 for a 2006 F6. Don't know where you get your info from .. try the Car Salesmans bible.
Old 16-12-2013, 05:18 PM   #49
XC50077
Drive'n Cruise'n Live'n

Quote:
Statement from Toyota:

Once the dust settles there is an enormous business opportunity for Toyota Aust to build a RWD car. They already have the components ,V6 &V8 engines, transmissions and facilities about to become available. Additionally a glut of skilled people available from GMH & Ford.
Would be surprised if the business model hadn't been done 2 years ago when rumours of Ford packing up their kit first surfaced.
XC50077 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2013, 06:26 PM   #50
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCRXR6 View Post
2006 Camry is worth 6800 at tops as a trade.....17000 for a 2006 F6. Don't know where you get your info from .. try the Car Salesmans bible.
Nice way to compare a base Camry with a top spec Falcon...

An XT is worth just as much as a Camry...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2013, 08:02 PM   #51
borough

Quote:
Goodbye Toyota. Seriously, what planet is this guy on?!

As someone said earlier, the federal government can no longer be trusted in ensuring the future of the car industry. They are not interested, especially given many of their frontbenchers are from inner-Sydney or outback QLD where manufacturing means nothing.

He is being fiscally responsible and not just throwing money to delay the inevitable. Remember in 2012 Julia Gilliard was proud to announce that a deal was done to keep GM in Australia until 2022? Well that meant nothing. It is up to Toyota to develop a sustainable business to continue manufacturing here, not for the government to hand over a blank check.
borough is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2013, 08:48 PM   #52
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If Toyota can do the unthinkable & make a profitable business case out of this & keep manufacturing cars in Australia, this would extend Toyota’s dominates at the top. One I don’t think we’ll see being beaten for many generations to come. They'll be allot of government sales up for grabs ones Falcon & Commdore are gone..
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2013, 09:34 PM   #53
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by borough View Post
He is being fiscally responsible and not just throwing money to delay the inevitable. Remember in 2012 Julia Gilliard was proud to announce that a deal was done to keep GM in Australia until 2022? Well that meant nothing. It is up to Toyota to develop a sustainable business to continue manufacturing here, not for the government to hand over a blank check.
Fiscally responsible, hardly? This a purely ideological decision based on Liberal party right-wing philosophy on the role of Government. Australia is the twelth largest economy in the world - the industry takes the equivalent of loose change behind the couch.

Looking at the numbers you would be mad not to support the car industry, $180 million a year assistance to sustain an industry of 100,000 people and and which contributes over $4 billion to the economy annually (let alone almost a billion in PAYG income tax a year).

Yes, the Government actually profits from the subsidy, to say he is being fiscally responsible is so far from the truth its almost funny.

If we really wanted to crack down on subsidies what about the $1.6 billion FBT incentives, or the $3 billion in handouts given to mining companies annually, or the most horrendous subsidy at all - the $5billion in negative gearing allowances given to property investors (which drives up housing prices through the roof and ties about a trillion dollars in bank capital which makes it harder to finance things that actually produce stuff for the economy).

If those numbers a little too big, what about the $750 million in annual wage rises given last year for federal public servants?

But let's keep taking about blank cheques...
7 users like this post:
Old 16-12-2013, 09:47 PM   #54
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

Brazen lots of facts and numbers there..your thoughts on why the government would act this way in the face of this reasoning? Ps it's a question with no hidden meaning...everyone is so inclined to think every poster is having a go at them these days it's sometimes easier not to participate in discussions!

Sorry just reread what I posted...clarifying....I see your point about ideology but why would they give themselves a massive shot in the fiscal foot when things aren't exactly in surplus right now?

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it

Last edited by PepeLePew; 16-12-2013 at 09:55 PM.
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2013, 10:07 PM   #55
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: What will happen to Toyota's Australian manufacturing activitie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepeLePew View Post
Brazen lots of facts and numbers there..your thoughts on why the government would act this way in the face of this reasoning? Ps it's a question with no hidden meaning...everyone is so inclined to think every poster is having a go at them these days it's sometimes easier not to participate in discussions!
No worries, I think it all comes down to the new Government following the economic theory of comparative advantage. The aim is that a country should produce things they have an advantage in. It's a noble aim with the supposed outcome that everyone will be better off. E.g. country 1 can cheaply produce food and country 2 can produce steel efficiently, they buy their products off each other and everyone is happy... In theory.

The problem is that it is made under so many theoretical assumptions that don't happen in reality.There is too much protectionism and manipulation around the world that everything can change on a whim. Currently Japan sells cars to us cheaply - so lets stop making cars and buy it off them cheap right? well at the moment Japan is spending billions a month devaluing their currency - it is not sustainable. What happens when it stops? The Japanese cars go up in price and we end up paying more as we don't make any of our own. It means that as become less self sufficient we become much more susceptible to the policy of other countries.

Comparative advantage also doesn't work in reality due to foreign ownership, labour and taxation. There is an assumption that as countries specialise in their own advantages, the population benefits. So theoretically we stop making cars and focus on mining - as mining booms all the money spreads to the rest of us, right? That doesn't happen in reality, as most mining is foreign-owned the wealth generated gets funnelled back in profits to the home countries. So Australia throws away its car industry by reducing tariffs and manufacturing incentives so that it can focus on mining, but ultimately its the Chinese and American mining company shreholders which end up benefiting.

Lastly, the theory of comparative advantage doesn't take into account the social and strategic responsibility that Government has. Perhaps it can be argued that having a well diversified economy that provides jobs for different skill sets and regions, that promotes innovation and that keeps vital skills in Australia while also future-proofing us against whatever may occur in the future may actually be worth the small hit to the pocket of the Chinese mining company shareholder.

Last edited by Brazen; 16-12-2013 at 10:13 PM.
Old 16-12-2013, 10:56 PM   #56
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen View Post
Fiscally responsible, hardly? This a purely ideological decision based on Liberal party right-wing philosophy on the role of Government.
This is the point people need to think about - what do they think the role of government is?

We currently have a far-right government. The right wing way of thinking is that the free market is king, government should be small, and not mess with the market. So of course, this ideology rejects the idea of government intervening in any industry in any way. This is exactly what has been displayed with Holden, and now Toyota. We'll loose them as a result. (Not to ignore past governments from the other side of the fence role in getting us to this point)
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2013, 11:23 PM   #57
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It would be good to see Governments make sensible, informed decisions. Both sides I think have been guilty of following ideologies rather than facts.
Old 16-12-2013, 11:53 PM   #58
OCTANEBOSS

If they had any sense they would turn there Australian operations into a state of the art military manufacturing facility to supply parts & services to Australia & its other allies. Its seems to be the only logical way of keeping an parts orientated industry here. They could turn to growing garlic but it seems that most of it is imported.It also has its benefits as we can still manufacture these kind of parts at a moments notice if required, the skilled craftsman we still keep there jobs, conditions & they add value to our base resources we have here. A bit more chance of the worm turning with the greatwall ute than GTR

澳元
OCTANEBOSS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2013, 04:48 AM   #59
MattSAU2XR8

I've been thinking for a while that Toyota could do quite well by making their own less ugly XR6 clone instead of the Aurion SX6/ZR6. They could do this:
- Start off with an Aurion SX6,
- Put the a Camry Atara bonnet and front bumper on it, assuming this would clear the engine,
- Then put Kluger 330 mm rotors and twin pot calipers on it, which has been done before by someone at Toyota Owners website,
- Then fit TRD Aurion spec springs and dampers which were well regarded at the time,
- And if they were feeling generous fit proper looking wheels, which would be the only difficult part since they usually design ugly wheels, perhaps a re-issue of the TRD Aurion Rims?
Since all these parts already exist it shouldn't cost too much to organise.
Then this car would do everything an XR6 can do except for burnouts :-)
MattSAU2XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2013, 07:17 AM   #60
eb2fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just shove the 2gr into the commodore what a car would that be?
eb2fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post