Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-07-2013, 02:37 PM   #31
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Jeremy Clarkson has become one of the highest paid presenters

I wonder how much tax he pays...would be pretty staggering, but he'd have plenty left.

A workmate of mine said he'd love to be making so much money that every year he paid "a million bucks in tax".
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2013, 02:45 PM   #32
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

I cant fathom how anyone could say something bad about him unless he insulted your mum.

He gets paid to drive fast cars, sideways, on the best roads in the world and doesnt even need to write a technical report....Good on him, Im sure its everyones dream job here.

As for the teeth, thats a nation wide thing in the UK...even with chicks.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 19-07-2013, 02:57 PM   #33
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I remember when I first heard that the Top Gear magazine would be turned into a TV show. I thought "here we go again..." Car reviews never worked for TV. I avoided it for the first few seasons (thankfully, cos they weren't very good back then). Then it got really good and really funny. I think that show keeps getting better and better. Now I even love the intro. It used to be "Tonight! I drive a Ferrari....." to now "Tonight! James jumps over a puddle..." Cracks me up. I don't care about specs, anybody can Google car specs. I want to be entertained and that's exactly what the show does.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2013, 03:09 PM   #34
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower View Post
It used to be "Tonight! I drive a Ferrari....." to now "Tonight! James jumps over a puddle..." Cracks me up. I don't care about specs, anybody can Google car specs. I want to be entertained and that's exactly what the show does.
This is why the show works and is so popular plus it helps that the orangutan, Hamster and Captain Slow are actual mates just ****farting around as mates do (unlike the forced tomfoolery on the ill-fated Top Gear Australia).
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-07-2013, 03:18 PM   #35
AU Mont
Banned

enjoyed the show more back when the antics seemed to be more random, rather than the properly planned randomness it turned into

then again isnt everything on TV carefully staged? I remember when that farmer wants a wife show came to film a scene here, the mother meeting the partner for the first time was done about 10 times lol
AU Mont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2013, 04:17 PM   #36
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's made motoring shows entertaining.

Yes, there have always been entertaining motoring shows...but they are few and far between. Torque with Peter Wherrit was a beauty, but that was many years ago now. Sadly, a lot of the others are just full of dry sterile facts and figures, with no effort to have a laugh while they're doing it, taking thier jobs very very seriously.

There have been attempts to imitate Top Gear...Australia, the USA, etc...but they've all fallen flat on thier faces. You simply can't beat the chemistry the three clowns in England have got.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 19-07-2013, 04:40 PM   #37
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post
I wonder how much tax he pays...would be pretty staggering, but he'd have plenty left.
£115,000

This is what the tax is capped at for an individual living on Isle of Man.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2013, 04:41 PM   #38
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by castellan View Post
What do you mean steer as good ?
Steer as in drive as good ?
I don't think he is a top driver at all. and i don't think he says he is as well.
How would that count me out, do you know me ?

Look at it this way a bunch of clowns that make more money than professional race drivers.

I think i would be more impressed with people who could go into depth about cars like moffat and the like. clark can't he is only bobens and bounce.
I never said he is a top driver but ill bet he is better than most on here. Just because he never said he can drive doesnt mean he cant, guy can obviously drive.

The said race drivers you are talking about wouldnt generate near as much revenue as TG. Hence that would be a large chunk of the income.

Id rather get some entertainment from a motoring show (Particularly when most of the cars on there id never ever own) then listen to someone dribble on about cars as you described.
2 users like this post:
Old 19-07-2013, 04:42 PM   #39
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
It's made motoring shows entertaining.
Exactly. Its dragged car shows out of the world of boffins and car nuts. A good thing in my book.

For all those complaining about Clarkson, have you ever watched Glenn Ridge when he did car shows? Does Clarkson look so bad now?
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2013, 05:59 PM   #40
Super Roo 1970
Windsor=Screamer

Quote:
If i were a young kid i may like that to, but rather drive a car than watch others.
I have a old Maori mate just down the road to go see if i want to have a good laugh and listen to the rubbish he talks. and he is better then that lot, and i ride with the idiot as well. so as soon as clark and co come on it's just to much for me. i have had it with all the bull.
Gee can someone book this fella into a good proctologist to get that stick removed.
FFS its just a bit of light entertainment, and it works, its success is proof. Fact.
Super Roo 1970 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 19-07-2013, 06:36 PM   #41
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:

There have been attempts to imitate Top Gear...Australia, the USA, etc...but they've all fallen flat on thier faces. You simply can't beat the chemistry the three clowns in England have got.
Top Gear USA is actually a good watch. The show has evolved into something different and not simply a clone of the original (which is what the Australian version tried to be).
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2013, 11:10 AM   #42
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83 View Post
I never said he is a top driver but ill bet he is better than most on here. Just because he never said he can drive doesnt mean he cant, guy can obviously drive.

The said race drivers you are talking about wouldnt generate near as much revenue as TG. Hence that would be a large chunk of the income.

Id rather get some entertainment from a motoring show (Particularly when most of the cars on there id never ever own) then listen to someone dribble on about cars as you described.
My mate knows more about cars than that lot does and could out drive out ride them anyday.
The show lacks depth, it's just a bunch of dilettante clowning around.
I watch it but
It's like with Bathurst i get people claiming things about ford or holden, fact is it has got nothing to do with them at all nowdays. they are not holdens or fords at all.
There was a good show called outback mechanics, now that was funny those dudes could make millions.
Stupid pommy git says Bath-hurst !
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2013, 11:21 AM   #43
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Roo 1970 View Post
Gee can someone book this fella into a good proctologist to get that stick removed.
FFS its just a bit of light entertainment, and it works, its success is proof. Fact.
Here ! i am not on about that at all.

It's just a clown show that any fool can watch, but some sod will come up and say, hear what about their comments on different cars as if they were worthy comments, i would say not very worthy at all. but you can sometimes get a bit of an idea.
Old 20-07-2013, 01:25 PM   #44
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
My mate knows more about cars than that lot does and could out drive out ride them anyday.
I watch it but
It's like with Bathurst i get people claiming things about ford or holden, fact is it has got nothing to do with them at all nowdays. they are not holdens or fords at all.
There was a good show called outback mechanics, now that was funny those dudes could make millions.
Yeah each to their own, i enjoy it and get a good laugh watching the challenges and watching them flog some nice cars. Id never base a purchase on their wrap of a car, but alas id never be able to afford 95% of the cars on there. Thing is there isnt many other shows were you can see super cars driven like they are meant to be (Internet aside)
Old 20-07-2013, 01:32 PM   #45
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I like his sarcasm and over the top humour which offends people who take life too seriously.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 20-07-2013, 01:35 PM   #46
UberKnee
The One Who Knocks

Quote:
I watch it but
There's 10,000 shows out there that are deadset serious, no fun, no thrills, no humour car shows that just show the facts. All of 2 people watch that dull tripe. When Top Gear was serious it got canned then they came up with the idea to bring humour into it and they're up to 20 seasons now. I love my cars but I like most people have no interest in listing to a robot list a fact sheet on hypercars while slowly driving them round a track. Anyone can go on wikipedia and read up all the specs on any car, bit harder to actually see these cars driven like they were meant to be driven.

And far be it for an Englishman to pronounce an Aussie word wrong...when we routinely butcher the English language.
UberKnee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2013, 01:36 PM   #47
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hopless Idiot??

It's Jeremy Clarkson, not David Attenborough!

I've seen Jeremy Clarkson on QI and he's a very intelligent man and very witty. If he were a public librarian your argument would be valid, but he's a TV presenter whose hired for his persona and ability to draw attention and kick up dust. He does this well, and I enjoy listening to his babble. Its entertainment.

Current
SY FPV F6X Territory #214
Previous
FG MkII G6E Turbo built by Heinrichs Performance and Tuning
BFII FPV TORNADO #0021 351rwkw - Heinrich Performance and Tuning

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer" - Arnold Schwarzenegger
raised by monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 20-07-2013, 08:10 PM   #48
babyf6
Young Ford Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan D Segal View Post
I personally can't stand him, but I get that he's high paid because people find him entertaining. It isn't that hard to work out - there's a lot of rich people who are rich because they're entertaining, not because of how smart they are. Look at Justin Bieber who, when it was mentioned that he had a lot of fans in Germany, said "Germany... what is that?" or something to that effect.
Off topic - Bieber - the same person who thought anne frank would of been a bieleber

On topic - Love him or hate him - Jeremy Clarkson is one of the best paid in the business for a reason.
Old 23-07-2013, 01:16 PM   #49
TRAU BLAU

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP View Post
Love the show - love the personalities - some of the stunts and challenges leave me in stitches for hours......

I couldnt care less about how serious or technical the reviews are........let's face it....how likely is anyone watching the show going to walk into a ZONDA delaer ( is there such athing ).....and buy one because of a TOP GEAR review.....meh

There are probably thousands more idiots that get paid 10 times more to do 10 times less for society.......laughter is good !

I just want to see those top gear clowns do massive skids in million dollar hypercars........entertainment.....you betchya......
I agree Laughter is good.The Brits are known for their great sense of humour:monty-python etc.It's not just the weather!It's about basic,down to earth friendliness;which is something that's sadly lacking these"smart tech.Days."The old Aussie Bush Tales were very funny.
TRAU BLAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2013, 06:44 PM   #50
Random Ranger
nondescript

Quote:
Funny, we destroy the English language with our "STRINE" (look it up)
And he's a stupid pommy git?
Lord Bathurst, another stupid pommy git, might have something to say about that, seeing as Bath-hurst is named after him.
Random Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-07-2013, 06:49 PM   #51
T-Pak Addict
Jim

The challengers are funny, the specials are fantastic...

Lets drive to the North Pole... How hard can it be???

The Old Daily.......2003 Octane BA Taxi Pak Egas Falcon Build Thread
T-Pak Addict is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 24-07-2013, 02:07 PM   #52
snowcone

Clarkson is a bit of a pants man too and has gotten himself into trouble in the past with the ladies.
Mispronunciation of Bathurst is not restricted to the Poms either.
There was a USA movie made years ago about racing sidecars at Bathurst and it made me cringe every time they said it.
snowcone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2013, 06:15 PM   #53
Bossxr8
Peter Car

We're the ones who mispronounce Bathurst. It was named after the Englishman Lord Bathurst? So technically they would pronounce it the way it was originally intended, we aussies just take our own slant on it.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 24-07-2013, 07:30 PM   #54
UberKnee
The One Who Knocks

Yeah bit silly of us to mispronounce a word and expect the rest of the world to do so for our sake.
UberKnee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2013, 08:31 PM   #55
Chopped
as in chopped

I used to love the show but I'm bit over over it. It's a bit too scripted now IMO.

Chris Harris is my new favourite. He can really throw a car around too.
Old 24-07-2013, 11:52 PM   #56
MattsDisturbed
Bseries

Top Gear is and always will be my favorite TV show. Anyone who says its rubbish is welcome to their opinion but the rampaging success is proof enough that more people agree with me. As many others have mentioned the chemistry of the three pommy clowns is just wonderful and hilarious! The most recent series haven't had enough "Cheap car challenges" for me but whatever, my life would certainly be incredibly empty without Top Gear.

Jeremy Clarkson is a much more intelligent and rational person than his on screen persona in Top Gear. Anyone who hasn't already should watch his War Stories documentaries; very fascinating.

Check it out:
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11336211
MattsDisturbed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-07-2013, 11:50 AM   #57
TRAU BLAU

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberKnee View Post
There's 10,000 shows out there that are deadset serious, no fun, no thrills, no humour car shows that just show the facts. All of 2 people watch that dull tripe. When Top Gear was serious it got canned then they came up with the idea to bring humour into it and they're up to 20 seasons now. I love my cars but I like most people have no interest in listing to a robot list a fact sheet on hypercars while slowly driving them round a track. Anyone can go on wikipedia and read up all the specs on any car, bit harder to actually see these cars driven like they were meant to be driven.

And far be it for an Englishman to pronounce an Aussie word wrong...when we routinely butcher the English language.
I agree.Who says Aussies are not racist?! It doesn't take long before B.......s is slotted in after Pommie.Mind you Australia is getting thrashed in the test matches.
Old 25-07-2013, 04:32 PM   #58
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsDisturbed View Post
Top Gear is and always will be my favorite TV show. Anyone who says its rubbish is welcome to their opinion but the rampaging success is proof enough that more people agree with me. As many others have mentioned the chemistry of the three pommy clowns is just wonderful and hilarious! The most recent series haven't had enough "Cheap car challenges" for me but whatever, my life would certainly be incredibly empty without Top Gear.

Jeremy Clarkson is a much more intelligent and rational person than his on screen persona in Top Gear. Anyone who hasn't already should watch his War Stories documentaries; very fascinating.
I will have to watch Clarkson's war storys, more of the same halfwit bull and dribble. like most all full of holes and one sided load of simpleton rot but a lot of people are happy to be only half informed, but that's life.
Old 25-07-2013, 04:47 PM   #59
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
I agree.Who says Aussies are not racist?! It doesn't take long before B.......s is slotted in after Pommie.Mind you Australia is getting thrashed in the test matches.
Is that racist ?
Or is it prejudice ?
Or just the old aussie way for a turm of endearment ?
I seen a dude on TV explaining this stuff and he was saying that people in australia under 35 years of age and the new age PC mob have no understanding as to what the older gen are really on about. so they get all wound up over nothing.
Old 31-07-2013, 03:13 PM   #60
TRAU BLAU

Quote:
Is that racist ?
Or is it prejudice ?
Or just the old aussie way for a turm of endearment ?
I seen a dude on TV explaining this stuff and he was saying that people in australia under 35 years of age and the new age PC mob have no understanding as to what the older gen are really on about. so they get all wound up over nothing.
Yeah,although I do think that STREET MACHINE is heaps better than TOP GEAR.