Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 23-08-2011, 11:44 AM   #1
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: LW Focus - any info?

its not the engine which would make it feel sluggish, very likely it is the powershift learning your driving style.... they also try to hang onto higher gears where possible to improve fuel consumption, but, when test driving you need to squeeze the throttle a bit further than you would in a conventional auto to make it change down.....
Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2011, 12:42 PM   #2
DeKa

Also, being Powershift, you won't have the "slip" of the torque convertor which leads to rapidly increasing revs, without a great deal of road speed increase, in comparison to a manual or a Powershift. I think you'll find it was probably really accelerating briskly for a 2L, it just didn't feel like it if you're used to older torque convertor autos.
DeKa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2011, 02:24 PM   #3
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

I remember reading a review that commented / complained on how the powershift gearbox was programed to shift up early to conserve fuel.
DFB FGXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2011, 02:25 PM   #4
dburrast
Starter Motor

hi all
i have owned a lw trend 2l auto for about 5 weeks now.
3021ks on clock. still having problems with the gearbox being in too high a gear at lower revs when coasting then when accelerating it does not change down it labours the engine and vibrates until the revs pick up. the dealer recognises the problem but can do nothing to help and ford are no help either.
i also have another problem , when driving the car and after it warms up when turning a left hand corner there is a loud rattle cimming from the engine area. I can hear it with the windows up. the dealer has made another car in their yard do the same thing but once again connot locate or fix it.
i am now very frustrated with the car after being excited at firast (wish i hjad bought a mazda)
dburrast is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2011, 04:56 PM   #5
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

keep at them until they fix it. If not, go through other channels.

is the rattle a clicking sound?

dad takes delivery of his LW Focus Sport tomorrow. He could have had an auto ages ago but was waiting for a 5 speed to be delivered. Haven't seen any others at all on carsales..
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2011, 05:07 PM   #6
dburrast
Starter Motor

no it is a definite rattle. i am not going to let it lie
Old 11-10-2011, 07:11 PM   #7
blatchie

I have had no problems with this car at all .However I drive a manual car not the powershift.Mine is responsive and quick off the mark.

Last edited by blatchie; 11-10-2011 at 07:15 PM. Reason: Add pic
blatchie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2011, 08:37 PM   #8
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blatchie
imageI have had no problems with this car at all .However I drive a manual car not the powershift.Mine is responsive and quick off the mark.
nice - that's a sport isn't it? so now i know of two manual sports in existence (aside from the test model that reviewers used a few months ago).
Old 12-10-2011, 09:13 AM   #9
blatchie

I ordered mine in August and it arrived at the dealer on wed 5/10. Picked it up on Friday and have not looked back since.Love it
Old 12-10-2011, 10:38 AM   #10
dburrast
Starter Motor

thanks for sufggestions i have not let this go. i rang ford and lodged a formal complaint. they will be ringing back on thursday. if i do not get a satifactory reply i will be taking it up the ladder until i have to go public.
they should not be aloud to get away with the dismissive attitude they are displaying.
Old 12-10-2011, 01:22 PM   #11
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Dad took delivery of his LW Focus Sport 5 speed manual today, here she is:

Last edited by Professor Farnsworth; 12-10-2011 at 01:29 PM.
Old 12-10-2011, 04:34 PM   #12
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So glad I went Moondust Silver now too. Thanks for the post, looks great! Hope he enjoys it
Old 12-10-2011, 06:44 PM   #13
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

yeah he's happy with it, doesn't like the indicator wand & wipers swapped position (coming from a BA) but i told him he'll get used to it quick enough. I personally prefer the indicators on the left. Kinda ironic that the 'Sport' model pretty much matches and outdoes the G6E in most features, being basically the "XR" and the Titanium being the luxo model. Nice car.
Old 19-10-2011, 11:23 PM   #14
warpsp33d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Farnsworth
doesn't like the indicator wand & wipers swapped position (coming from a BA) but i told him he'll get used to it quick enough. I personally prefer the indicators on the left.
This is so annoying. There should be a law against this to stop the manufacturers from cheaping out.

I might buy a Titanium TDCi next year, really hoping that when they shift manufacturing to Thailand that they flip these around.

I've read thus far that apparently from September build onward, they've changed something to fix the sucky turning circle in the Titanium.

Also that next year we should get a touch screen in the centre console similar to what's already available overseas (hate that tiny little screen).

And that apparently when production shifts to Thailand, rear air vents will be included too.
warpsp33d is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2011, 11:57 PM   #15
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by warpsp33d
I've read thus far that apparently from September build onward, they've changed something to fix the sucky turning circle in the Titanium.

Also that next year we should get a touch screen in the centre console similar to what's already available overseas (hate that tiny little screen).

And that apparently when production shifts to Thailand, rear air vents will be included too.
interesting info, got a link?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sysh
And on the Thailand production, I heard it's gonna be only up and running in 12 months time as mentioned by the dudes at the Ford dealer
i would take what Ford dealers say with a grain of salt. They'll always tell you things are further away so you'll buy now instead.
Old 20-10-2011, 12:05 AM   #16
warpsp33d

Quote:
interesting info, got a link?

i would take what Ford dealers say with a grain of salt. They'll always tell you things are further away so you'll buy now instead.
I think the turning circle and the air vents I got from a Wheels article.

The touch screen I got from an article on CarAdvice, and I've also seen some other comments around the place about it.

It's also interesting to note that the "Sport Executive" pack isn't available until November this year according to the Ford site. So perhaps there are some minor revisions then.

I've read that the turning circle in the Titanium is pretty bad, worse than a Falcon even. I very much dislike that, my current car has a sucky turning circle, and I'm sick of it.

I can't stand the stalks being reversed, I hope they change that, but it's not a deal breaker.

I want to hold out at least until they bring the touch screen in. Then I think I'm going to order a White Titanium TDCi Sedan with the Sport Exec. pack. That said, I haven't taken one for a test drive yet, but from what I've read online, I suspect I'm not going to be disappointed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snippet from the CarAdvice article:
Ford Australia’s Sinead McAlary confirmed Australia would get its first taste of SYNC in the new Focus, although she admitted it would not arrive until 12-18 months after the small car’s local launch.
With the Focus due Down Under in the third quarter of 2011, Ms McAlary said Ford Australia was hopeful SYNC-equipped vehicles would arrive in local showrooms in the second half of 2012.

Last edited by warpsp33d; 20-10-2011 at 12:11 AM.
warpsp33d is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2011, 12:49 AM   #17
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
It's also interesting to note that the "Sport Executive" pack isn't available until November this year according to the Ford site. So perhaps there are some minor revisions then.
The Sport and Titanium will both receive a 5" color display with Satellite Navigation as standard from October production, so November arrivals. The RRP will also go up $500. The unit will be the same Sony Premium Audio setup found in the current cars, but with a bigger screen (current is 4.2" IIRC) and the Sat Nav. Dealer confirmed this info for me and I've asked for this on my contract.

Quote:
I want to hold out at least until they bring the touch screen in.
Thought about this too. But MyFord Touch seems horrible to me, some of the videos on YouTube show it to be slow, and very unreliable. But with time hopefully it'll get better. Personally, I'm happy with the 5" display and German build quality :-)
Old 02-11-2011, 04:18 PM   #18
DeKa

Quote:
I've read that the turning circle in the Titanium is pretty bad, worse than a Falcon even. I very much dislike that, my current car has a sucky turning circle, and I'm sick of it.
You'd have to expect that though - front wheel drive cars always have worse turning circles than rear wheel drive cars of the same wheelbase, and front wheel drive cars with large (ie 18" + wheels) have even worse turning circles.
DeKa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2011, 12:19 AM   #19
sysh
A few screw loose

Quote:
http://media.ford.com/article_displa...ticle_id=32842

BANGKOK, Thailand, June 24, 2010 – Ford Motor Company today announced it is investing US$450 million (THB 15 billion) in a new state-of-the-art passenger vehicle manufacturing plant in Rayong, Thailand, scheduled for completion in 2012.

The facility will begin building the next-generation Ford Focus in 2012 for Thailand and other markets in the Asia-Pacific region. The highly flexible plant will be capable of building a diverse range of vehicles in the future.

Judging from the news, that's a good 1+ yrs ago, so I guess it'll be completed in 2012.. question is when exactly will they be shipping it over here.
sysh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2011, 08:58 PM   #20
blatchie

There is a demo manual at Adrian Brien Ford in Adelaide they liked mine so much they just had to register one for a demo.
Old 12-10-2011, 10:53 PM   #21
Pete A
Boss 260

That's true. You can change the transmission response but haven't tried it yet. Missus has had the Titanium for about 6 weeks. So far so good. Took it to Qld last week. Went like a dream. Takes a while for the auto to learn your driving style. After that, very good. Can't wait for the hot Turbo next year. Serious consideration to replace my FG6T. Need to consider smaller car with good grunt.

Last edited by Pete A; 12-10-2011 at 11:07 PM. Reason: Missing detail
Pete A is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2011, 02:36 PM   #22
sysh
A few screw loose

Any idea why Ford decided not to badge the models up to distinguish from one another e.g. Sport or Titanium. Would be nice to strut that around, IMHO
Old 13-10-2011, 04:00 PM   #23
Aussie XB12SS
Buell Man

Quote:
Any idea why Ford decided not to badge the models up to distinguish from one another e.g. Sport or Titanium. Would be nice to strut that around, IMHO
Saved me de badging it.
Harley Fat Bob
Aussie XB12SS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2011, 05:24 PM   #24
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Quote:
no idea personally, i find it a bit odd too
Old 14-10-2011, 09:03 PM   #25
blatchie

Ok so the Brochure tells me that the Sports has Auto Wipers . How do you turn these on?

Last edited by blatchie; 14-10-2011 at 09:08 PM.
Old 17-10-2011, 08:45 PM   #26
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blatchie
Ok so the Brochure tells me that the Sports has Auto Wipers . How do you turn these on?
dad said move the wiper stork one click up and it will perform one wipe then stay in auto mode.
Old 14-10-2011, 09:10 PM   #27
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

is is the button on the end of the wiper stork? i haven't seen this car in person yet
Old 17-10-2011, 02:50 PM   #28
F6 Aimz

That's for the rear wiper isn't it? Mum's got a LW TDCI sport
F6 Aimz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2011, 08:11 AM   #29
blatchie

oh one click up .I thought that was inter. Ill give it a go
Old 19-10-2011, 03:21 PM   #30
sysh
A few screw loose

.. what do you reckon is the best colour for the LW. I'm leaning towards the Moondust Silver and Frozen White. Although the Ink Blue does look mean too