Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-07-2011, 09:44 PM   #31
Supercharged

Default Re: Peugots Falcon Commodore Rival. And its DIESEL!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr8240
Companies are looking hard at fuel bills..
They MAY think a diesel is a better option ??
Euro cars just don't seem to have a good auto
like Falcon / Commodore or even the Jap cars...
Maybe but would the Peugots get to where you need to go, their reliability is rubbish.

And remember: Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Beer in one hand - meat pie in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!!"
Supercharged is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2011, 10:01 PM   #32
vegabass
BASS ON BOARD!

Id certainly consider it if i was buying new and or had to decide on a new company car. So much so that I would probably favour it.
Old 16-07-2011, 10:29 PM   #33
IronFalcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0
I had a feeling you'd comment on that after i posted it lol. Honestly though sure on the odd occasion but the two aren't cars that you cross shop. If you're looking to buy an XR6T or SS you aren't going to go to Peugeot and look at a 508.
Add to that the people who want local performance, but can't afford the flagships as mentioned. They'll still buy local to at lest get the image or a car associated with that image.
Old 16-07-2011, 11:21 PM   #34
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
I'll qualify that: 90% of drivers wouldn't pick the difference, and probably 99% would never even think to ask "is this front wheel drive?"...it just doesn't come into the equation when someone is asking about cars features.
Mum thought her Festiva was RWD up until a few years ago, but she's not into cars so there you go. I can't tell the difference between RWD and FWD cars (besides east-west engine, no tailshaft and extra space in FWD cars obviously), maybe because I don't have an interest to go on the track and I don't drive like a moron on the road either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
After owning a diesel for half a year I will be looking for another oil burner should I be buying another new car, just love the charachteristics of the engine and the ultra low consumption.
Me too, love diesel engines, so much torque, good fuel economy and easy to drive, cruise up a steep hill in my Focus 1500 RPM in 4th gear 60km/h and it pulls hard.

100km/h 1750 RPM in 6th
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2011, 09:57 AM   #35
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged
Maybe but would the Peugots get to where you need to go, their reliability is rubbish.
Having had one for the last 5 years and 101,000kms now, yes, they are reliable. Couple little of electrical gremlins at the start whilst under warranty, but apart from that, she gets us from A to B and back again no worries.
Old 17-07-2011, 10:23 AM   #36
mash again
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

werent the xr6's going for about 33k on the road recently, given that real world figures for a diesel (if it has and power and is used and it cost more per litre) are higher than stated the extra 10k will put alot of fuel into an xr6 or commo. It will probably sell to the crowd that like to tell everyone they drive a peugot. No good in the country areas, no dealers to interigate the computers etc, see alot of these types of car on trucks heading back to Adelaide. Thats why toyota do so well, more service centres than most, we dont even have a ford dealership anymore.

Last edited by mash again; 17-07-2011 at 10:24 AM. Reason: cant spell
mash again is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2011, 10:36 AM   #37
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo

100km/h 1750 RPM in 6th
Hey Damo. Didn't realise there is such a difference between the auto and manual Focus?

The auto in 6th spins at around 1950rpm at 100. It annoys me as IMO this is a little on the high side and consumption jumps a great deal from 100 to 110 (like 20%!).

Whould have been great to have it sit on 2000revs at 110, oh well.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2011, 12:07 PM   #38
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No match for the ECOLPi in terms of parts costs either I would think... being Le'French and all lol!
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2011, 01:23 PM   #39
Danny
GT4.

I would say this car is more a compeditor to VW Passat, 3 Series beemer, Mondeo TDCi Titanium and the like. Falcon and Commodore are in an Aussie built world of their own.

Quote:
Stating as fact? Based on what experience?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0
nobody is going to cross shop a sexy performance car against an ugly looking TD frogmobile.
Yawn.

Typical neanderthal responses to every French car thread, showing more often that those hanging off the lowest intellectual rung open their mouths far too often.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2011, 01:31 PM   #40
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny
I would say this car is more a compeditor to VW Passat, 3 Series beemer, Mondeo TDCi Titanium and the like. Falcon and Commodore are in an Aussie built world of their own.

Yawn.

Typical neanderthal responses to every French car thread, showing more often that those hanging off the lowest intellectual rung open their mouths far too often.
Top Gear quality surveys always have the PSA built cars dead last, and their reputation for quality isn't good. JD power surveys also back this up.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2011, 01:53 PM   #41
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Hey Damo. Didn't realise there is such a difference between the auto and manual Focus?

The auto in 6th spins at around 1950rpm at 100. It annoys me as IMO this is a little on the high side and consumption jumps a great deal from 100 to 110 (like 20%!).

Whould have been great to have it sit on 2000revs at 110, oh well.
Thats a bit odd, mine sits on the 3rd line, the one under the 2000 RPM mark (1750? 250 RPM increments). I wonder why so much difference in ratios between auto/manual?

Also we've got PSA diesels in our Focus I think, haven't really heard about problems with them as such except for dodgy EGR valve blocking up.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2011, 01:59 PM   #42
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
Thats a bit odd, mine sits on the 3rd line, the one under the 2000 RPM mark (1750? 250 RPM increments). I wonder why so much difference in ratios between auto/manual?

Also we've got PSA diesels in our Focus I think, haven't really heard about problems with them as such except for dodgy EGR valve blocking up.
Their diesel tech is pretty damn good.

I'd say its more a case of electricals and fit and finish thats the issue, which doesn't carry over to Ford which would use their own parts.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2011, 06:27 PM   #43
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The PSA engines are also in the Mini diesel.
Old 17-07-2011, 09:46 PM   #44
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Top Gear quality surveys always have the PSA built cars dead last, and their reputation for quality isn't good. JD power surveys also back this up.
Ohh, you mean these pointless surveys that contradict each other and mirror the results every year.
smoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2011, 10:14 PM   #45
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Australians should not consider any French vehicles after the Muiroa Attol debacle. I will never buy a french vehicle, second hand or new.
irish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2011, 10:22 PM   #46
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish2
Australians should not consider any French vehicles after the Muiroa Attol debacle. I will never buy a french vehicle, second hand or new.
Should Australians consider any motor vehicle built buy a company that openly supported Adolf Hitler and the Nazi regime?

Or ones made by a country that murdered Australian civilians when repeatedly bombed Darwin?

Or how about ones made in the only country to commit actual genocide in the last 200 years........

N.B. for those who have little knowledge of history these are Ford, Japan and Australia.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2011, 01:09 AM   #47
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The biggest threat to Falcon isn't a French car, but a Korean or Japanese SUV, any size from mid size on up.

You can also start to throw into the mix some of the Korean hatches and sedans too.
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2011, 01:17 AM   #48
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Should Australians consider any motor vehicle built buy a company that openly supported Adolf Hitler and the Nazi regime?

Or ones made by a country that murdered Australian civilians when repeatedly bombed Darwin?

Or how about ones made in the only country to commit actual genocide in the last 200 years........

N.B. for those who have little knowledge of history these are Ford, Japan and Australia.

You forgot to add companies that used slave labour to build their cars. That'll knock out a few more including GM.

I see this car like the Hybrid Camry a few sales but won't be a massive sales success.
Old 18-07-2011, 11:11 AM   #49
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Really? My Pug disagrees with you. Unfortunately for your argument, my Pug can back its claims up whereas you cannot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EF_6
No match for the ECOLPi in terms of parts costs either I would think... being Le'French and all lol!
You'd be surprised, it's actually cheaper to service my 206 than it ever was on my XR8. At least with Peugeot they do menu set priced servicing so you know what you are up for before going in. Better than Ford hitting you with a rather large unexpected bill at the end.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny

Yawn.

LMAO
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish2
And we shouldn't buy Australian vehicles because of what we did to the Aborigniees, Shouldn't buy American vehicles because of what they did to Japan in WWII (plus a few other things along the line), German cars because of WWII, Japanese Cars also WWII.......

I could go on forever.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2011, 11:50 AM   #50
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddyDUZ747
Alot of wifes out their driving what their husbands have suggested to buy.
i'd have thought the other way around
Old 18-07-2011, 11:53 AM   #51
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist

Don't forget the whole forced labour thing that Bayern Motor Werks, more commonly known as BMW, did.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2011, 12:00 PM   #52
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
Don't forget the whole forced labour thing that Bayern Motor Werks, more commonly known as BMW, did.
Hey those street bums had nothing better to do.
Old 18-07-2011, 01:32 PM   #53
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielXR8
The biggest threat to Falcon isn't a French car, but a Korean or Japanese SUV, any size from mid size on up.

You can also start to throw into the mix some of the Korean hatches and sedans too.
No, the biggest threat to Falcon is Ford's apathy that the car is so good it should just sell itself....
The worst thing Ford can assume is that the Falcon remain a traditional big car chained to a past history
instead of a car that moves and changes with the times, whatever that change may require to survive....
jpd80 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2011, 01:54 PM   #54
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielXR8

I'd agree...a couple of the guys at work have a new Hyundai Santa Fe SUV...very comfortable, lots of room inside, spooky highway fuel economy out of the diesel engine (I've been driving for an hour...why hasn't the fuel gauge moved more than two milllimeters...?" ), and plenty of power and torque. it doesn't hurt to look better than the last model, which to be polite had a face like a bag of smashed crabs.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2011, 05:41 PM   #55
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

'You'd be surprised, it's actually cheaper to service my 206 than it ever was on my XR8.'

Ummm... is'nt a 206 a 4 pot? And it's 'Bevarian' Motor Works!
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2011, 06:11 PM   #56
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by EF_6
'You'd be surprised, it's actually cheaper to service my 206 than it ever was on my XR8.'

Ummm... is'nt a 206 a 4 pot? And it's 'Bevarian' Motor Works!
You mean Bavarian? (Which is the English translation of the German word ;)
Old 18-07-2011, 06:23 PM   #57
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
You mean Bavarian? (Which is the English translation of the German word ;)
Their actual name (as is stamped on the VIN plate on my BMW) is Bayerische Motoren Werke (literally Bavarian Motor Works).
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2011, 06:28 PM   #58
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
Their actual name (as is stamped on the VIN plate on my BMW) is Bayerische Motoren Werke (literally Bavarian Motor Works).
I know lol, been to Deutschland myself during the World Cup

(It was spelt with an e in the correction... and seeing as we are splitting hairs over spelling I thought I would jump in and correct the corrector (if that makes sense?)

Danke
Old 18-07-2011, 06:34 PM   #59
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
I know lol, been to Deutschland myself during the World Cup

(It was spelt with an e in the correction... and seeing as we are splitting hairs over spelling I thought I would jump in and correct the corrector (if that makes sense?)

Danke
Keine Sorgen. Ich war mit Ihnen einverstanden.

No Worries, I was agreeing with you.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2011, 06:40 PM   #60
vhcbm
having Fiesta withdrawals

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Ford couldn't fix my BlueTooth issue. This member posted a download link, with instruction, on how to do it myself. One week on, the unit hasn't played up once. Three different dealers told me to virtually 'Live with it. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
Really? My Pug disagrees with you. Unfortunately for your argument, my Pug can back its claims up whereas you cannot.

You'd be surprised, it's actually cheaper to service my 206 than it ever was on my XR8. At least with Peugeot they do menu set priced servicing so you know what you are up for before going in. Better than Ford hitting you with a rather large unexpected bill at the end.
If you look at the Falcon equivalent the 407 it cost a bomb to service...for example wiper blades were $100 a set from the dealer.

Past: 2009 Ford Fiesta LX in Vision Blue - Sold
vhcbm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post