Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-04-2011, 01:04 AM   #31
FalconXV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Chinese consider building cars in Australia to keep prices low

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrection
The time is approaching where freight costs will be come excessive. Manufacturing industries will then need to start looking at local production rather than imports.
I hope this happens, could it mark a return to a compelling argument for Australian manufacture/ assembly?
FalconXV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2011, 09:15 AM   #32
JG34JA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHDOGS
At current rates how long before all cheap dodgy goods are made in africa and once africa is up and running what place is next?
Ireland. Portugal, Greece, Spain. The United Kingdom. Then the US.

Basically those countries about to undergo debt-implosion, IMF bailout and debt-slavery.

Just a little bit off topic, Australia had a 9% public debt to GDP in 2007, now it's up to 23%. (Source: US Debt clock) A country really has to get to > 80% before it becomes an issue of "no way back". So we are OK for now. USDebt is 14 trillion, near the 'ceiling' and USD is plummeting when measured against key commodities and other currencies: you are watching the quick and brutal reduction in their standard of living. After the fall, when conditions become more suitable to do business there (low tax, less regulation), they will manufacture once more.
JG34JA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2011, 10:24 AM   #33
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrection
The time is approaching where freight costs will be come excessive. Manufacturing industries will then need to start looking at local production rather than imports.

BHP are considering tranporting dirt from olympic dam to have it refined in china, australia exports the LNG and coal to other countries so they are able to produce electricity to refine iron ore that is shipped there from australia. Its going to be a very very very long time before the benefits of short shipping routes, outweigh the benefits of mass production.

In fact i can guarantee, that any car plant (beside a dock), in South Korea, Thailand or Japan, is able to land 4000 cars within 50 kilometres of 80% of australias population, much cheaper than the local producers can.

4000 Mazda 3's from Thailand to Brisbane (not likely, as load would be spread down the coast), at $30000 a day ship hire for 20 days (10 days each way), would cost $600,000 = only $150 a car.

4000 cruzes from Adelaide to Brisbane requires 500 car carriers at 4 days (2 days each way). 500 x $4000 (minimum) is $2 million = $500 a car.
bobthebilda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2011, 09:10 PM   #34
stevz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthebilda
4000 Mazda 3's from Thailand to Brisbane (not likely, as load would be spread down the coast), at $30000 a day ship hire for 20 days (10 days each way), would cost $600,000 = only $150 a car.

4000 cruzes from Adelaide to Brisbane requires 500 car carriers at 4 days (2 days each way). 500 x $4000 (minimum) is $2 million = $500 a car.

Yeah don't worry about the storage and transport costs for the Mazda 3's, the ships will deliver them directly to the dealerships.
stevz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2011, 10:27 PM   #35
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthebilda
BHP are considering tranporting dirt from olympic dam to have it refined in china, australia exports the LNG and coal to other countries so they are able to produce electricity to refine iron ore that is shipped there from australia. Its going to be a very very very long time before the benefits of short shipping routes, outweigh the benefits of mass production.

In fact i can guarantee, that any car plant (beside a dock), in South Korea, Thailand or Japan, is able to land 4000 cars within 50 kilometres of 80% of australias population, much cheaper than the local producers can.

$30,000 a day for a cargo ship??? their fuel bill alone is roughly $US120,000 a day! Estimated to rise dramatically over the coming years.

It will become a lot more expensive too as Carbon taxes and the like start getting applied to shipping. For example some cargo ships in emissions are the equivalent of 50 million cars a year!
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2011, 10:35 PM   #36
JG65TE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E

WHO ??? .

In all seriousness, I drive a landcruiser, jap built I know........ and every day when I drive past the car yard I wonder why I dont get a korean built jobbie that uses half the fuel, runs better, is comfier, easier to park blah blah.... I tell ya one day soon some korean/chinese etc, built yakazumihinco unit will tear my hands off the wheel of my truck and I will buy one......... god shoot me now.
JG65TE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post