Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-09-2010, 04:40 PM   #31
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
The difference between the two will be if you want much better brakes or not.

It was gonna be like that, but Ford/FPV worked out that the XR8 still have life with Ford....hopefully G8E as well.

Thought it was a bit odd. No advantage to delete it such as lights, bumpers etc as you still need them on the XR6 and XR6T; both very popular.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2010, 05:40 PM   #32
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE
haha wat a nub...
I wouldn't laugh just yet.
mr smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2010, 06:31 PM   #33
WOTDAH
Yes YOU

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd
According to the sales manager at my local dealership the GS is the new XR8 anyway, as only FPV are getting Coyote. Again, this is according to her.
In a way she is right. There has been no conformation that Ford will have a V8 so therefore the FPV GS is the base model V8.
WOTDAH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2010, 08:13 PM   #34
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

Fair enough on your points Falc' Coupe. I understand your direction now...

Mr lightning strike let me ask you a question. Did you buy this car because you WANTED it, or wanted to make money on it later, or both? Or maybe your upset because you wanted a rare car?

If you bought it to make money on in either case, it's the wrong way to look at a car. They deprectiate like stones, & is not going to be worth much for a few decades (if ever). I'm really not sure on this myself. I mean alot of cars 10 years ago are starting to have problems electrically, & honestly dont think they will be worth the same margins as the now classic GT's are worth. Why? Because those cars didn't have computers in them, & all the time, new ecu's & electrical equipment are being made obsolete. Look at how MUCH is digitally elctroni in cars these days, the stereo isn't like the old ones, there are so many electronic computers, ABS, TC, ESP, ECU, box computer, the electronics used for the sequential shift, rain sensors, ipod control, blue tooth, the list goes on, & on & on. What are the chances of something out of all of this electronic stuff going haywire, regardless of how many k's a car has travelled? So unless there is a rather large market out there for OEM hardwear/software for these current cars, I believe that in 30years time they wont be worth the metal theyre made out of. Or if you do manage to replace the electrcal components, barely any will be left in the car that was OEM, makeing the car not original. Thats my vision anyway. Ive been hypothosizing over this for quite some time. & thats all I can come up with so far.

We live in a disposable society. My arguement is backed up by the way most of australia is starting to turn, (my boss is a prime example), he buys a new car, 4 years later, he sells it. If it breaks (or anything he owns) he sells it/throws it out & buys a new one. Cars dont REALLY need much replaced in the first 5 years. After that, well its the 2nd or 3rd owners problem. Cars arent made to last. If they were, new cars would never be sold, & the spare parts industry would collapse. Its almost a conspiracy!

Honestly, I wouldnt be worried about the new run GS. Its got a completely different engine. Your run is unique, last of the boss 302's, & 250(???) of the original new-run GS the ones that kick started it all..... Its something to be proud of. Plus of you want more power, I dont think its hard to push 350 killerwasps of out that 302 is it? Just enjoy it.
/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.

Last edited by Revolver; 09-09-2010 at 08:22 PM.
Revolver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2010, 08:48 PM   #35
Eaturbo
BUILT FORD TUFF

I think the GS is a great idea but one of the others needs to go Either GTP or GTE. They should make the GTE the GTP and delete the GTE as the GTP has been here since the BA came out
Old 09-09-2010, 09:01 PM   #36
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaturbo
I think the GS is a great idea but one of the others needs to go Either GTP or GTE. They should make the GTE the GTP and delete the GTE as the GTP has been here since the BA came out
GTE is trying to compete with Senator while GT - Clubsport GTP - GTS, so the model line up is right, GS is against the GXP.

I do think it needs a trim though, and badge change.
Keep the GS as base model FPV, then GT as top of the range sports and a new badge for top of the range luxury with no link to the GT. Maybe FPV Galaxy (remember the FPV Fairlane concept? )
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2010, 09:06 PM   #37
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaturbo
No, keep the GS instead of GT and have GT-P and GT-E for the flagships....
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2010, 09:28 PM   #38
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
GS-T..??....
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2010, 09:36 PM   #39
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
GS-T..??....
Yep, then they'll add 10% extra to the price!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2010, 11:46 PM   #40
GTpilot
FG GT 5.4 w/ additions!

IIRC GS (X Series) was a list of options, not a specifc model, so IMHO there is no real "collectability" in the FG model line anyway. just like Bseries and FG GT.
They are a performance nameplate not a collectors item. Buy one and drive it like it was designed to be driven. If you wanna go spend 70k on a collectors item, there are far better options out there.
GTpilot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2010, 12:46 AM   #41
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr smith
I wouldn't laugh just yet.
why not...ford has allready said they are building a non sc 8 but we have to wait till next year. Its only the the upgraded xr8 they are sorting out now
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2010, 02:48 AM   #42
5.4 GT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
That's just plain lunacy.
5.4 GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2010, 03:10 AM   #43
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
Ford love to have their cake and eat it too. Bring out a model, call it limited edition, bank on the reputation of past limited editions which have had fantastic resale which then encourages buyers to pay a premium for the product, then bang make it a mainstream product so you can sell more of them and screw the customers who fell for the trick.
Other than the GS discussed here, I'm struggling to find another example of this; which other models/LEs are you referring to??

(For the reasons given by Blue Beast II I wouldn't include the GT from EB/L and BA in the list of screw-overs)
Old 10-09-2010, 03:44 AM   #44
ST
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I'm guessing this is a joke?

If FPV did that it would make the GT-P badge useless; as we know the GT-P is the 'premium' version of the GT. Without the GT it becomes the base GT. Therefore it is the GT.

This actually makes sense, if FPV needs to compact the lineup the GT-P should be the first to go. They could simply add some of the GT-P's features standard on the regular GT and leave the rest optional, this gives the GT even more to differentiate itself and further justify the premium you pay over the GS.

Last edited by ST; 10-09-2010 at 03:51 AM.
ST is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2010, 08:50 AM   #45
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's a joke, Joyce......
Old 10-09-2010, 08:55 AM   #46
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

"GS" as we know it now has no semblance what so ever to its predecessor.. Lets not over look the fact that the original GS was just an option available on any base Falcon derivative model.. with any drive-line combination.
The GS option for the most part consisted of a combination of hubcaps, stripes, nice dash and steering wheel... no performance parts.
S pack would be a modern day GS if they were being true to its roots.

I cant see the issue with FPV continuing it at all.

Old 10-09-2010, 09:11 AM   #47
LTDHO
The one and only

Ford have already raped GT and Cobra, what will stop them doin it with GS?
Next will be ESP!
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2010, 09:59 AM   #48
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
Ford have already raped GT and Cobra, what will stop them doin it with GS?
Next will be ESP!
Raped? A very strong and highly inappropriate word.

Every FPV ever made is faster, quicker and better handling than any other Falcon EVER (with the possible exception of handling between T3 and BA).
Old 10-09-2010, 10:19 AM   #49
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Every FPV ever made is faster, quicker and better handling than any other Falcon EVER (with the possible exception of handling between T3 and BA).
Agree... very inappropriate and Inaccurate assessment...

Old 10-09-2010, 10:21 AM   #50
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

If anything in the next few years we will see the GTP and the GTE model die due to lack of customer support for either.

GS, GT, GT-H
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2010, 10:52 AM   #51
mytgxl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It still is a limited addition! They only made so many in that model,If they releast a FG GS again you could be a bit dirty then! you don`t here all the other GS owners before you complaining because they brought out another GS do you?
Old 10-09-2010, 11:17 AM   #52
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfiipursuit
If anything in the next few years we will see the GTP and the GTE model die due to lack of customer support for either.

GS, GT, GT-H
The interesting thing is that the GT-P sales have slowly been dropping as the GT becomes less and less basic and closer to the GT-P build.
In BA1 the GT-P was a far superior vehicle to the GT, by FG there was not a lot between them. (please no one go on about the same engine, an XT and a Fairmont Ghia have the same engine but one is also vastly superior to the other)

The GT also seems to be increasing in price accordingly.

It will also be very interesting to see FG2 GS vs FG2 GT sales as there is a significant price difference with very little performance.

Through BF-FG the sales were diluted with those who want performance buying F6, those who want comfort buying Force/-E and those who want all the "race bling" standard buying GT-P leaving the GT for those who want the badge at the cheapest possible price and the "I want a GT Falcon" brigade.

The BF2 figures are a bit skewed as both the GT40 and Cobra were technically GT sales despite being in the GT-P price range.

Not everyone buys FPVs for the same reason and the majority of FPV owners have not even heard of Ford Forums let alone joined.

If GS, GT & GT-H were the only models I am fairly confident that I would not buy a new V8 FPV.
Old 10-09-2010, 12:40 PM   #53
NickosBF2XRT

XR8 IS coming!! Just be patient.!
Old 10-09-2010, 01:38 PM   #54
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98TLS
Call me old fashioned but i like panels i can lean on without them caving in.Dont get me wrong i am fond of being back in a Ford after years without but the build quality of these things compared to then is a Tech wise of course its lightyears etc but quality wise To be honest the somewhat plastic interior of my XY was to my disliking after an XT but at least it didnt fall to bits on every second drive like the thing i have.Its rubbish and as i live in a rural area it gets driven hard on bad roads with appalling results,back in the day it didnt affect the XY one bit.
Having owned a couple of old school Fords back when they weren't collectible (an XA Coupe and an XC GXL) and now a BA GT, there's no comparison. In my opinion you couldn't lean on any panels on the XA/XC's because the panels were being held together by rust. The BA handles better, brakes better, is more refined and has an extra 130 odd kw to boot.
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2010, 02:39 PM   #55
Tucool
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Thumbs down

I think everytime you resurrect something from the past it dilutes it's meaning,
I can't see why they can't do something original....

AU II XR8 Daily driver.

BF XR8 ute (Red the only true Modification) My Toy.

The boy,

XT Ute 393 cleveland.

Genuine XB GT.
Tucool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2010, 03:14 PM   #56
WASP
Whipple Induced

It is my understanding that it was not FPV intension to use the GS again for the new entry level model. That decision was forced upon them at the last minute.
Old 10-09-2010, 03:15 PM   #57
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucool
I think everytime you resurrect something from the past it dilutes it's meaning,
I can't see why they can't do something original....

Cause the T-series didn't sell.
Old 10-09-2010, 04:18 PM   #58
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
That wasn't my intention, no offence to anyone.

It was, however, meant to be strong.

I still stand by what I said. If Ford want to bring out a new vehicle, they need to think of a name or label. Not steal a used one.

Correct me If I am wrong, wasn't the GT originally a 500 specially built cars to suit the race track? (I know this is not practical today)
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2010, 06:17 PM   #59
HSE2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDAA
It is my understanding that it was not FPV intension to use the GS again for the new entry level model. That decision was forced upon them at the last minute.

I agree. One day there is a hell of a story to be told. If people think FPV would not be aware of how this might make some current owners feel, then you are mistaken. These decisions aren't made lightly.

There is a distinct difference between buying a limited build of anything. The continuation of the GS name does not, in any way, ever remove from the fact that the original GS was x of a set number. It was intended to be limited and will forever remain so.

The 40th, the Cobra and the 5th are all limited editions of an ongoing name plate.
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2010, 06:23 PM   #60
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

I like the sound of the GS and GT in the line up.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post