Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-07-2009, 12:06 PM   #31
ClassicC

Like someone said better snap up an XD-F before they rust out or skyrocket. having said that I just bought a 77 XC fairmont for $3000 in pretty good cond, but I had to look long and hard.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:07 PM   #32
4.0i_SiX
SiX_iN_a_RoW

I reckon EF-EL Xr6 5 speed manuals will be worth a bit in the future, especially if kept original
Old 04-07-2009, 12:11 PM   #33
LowEL2XR8
Mr Impulsive

People push the price up to ridiculous levels.
I agree with the original poster low au classic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by auslandau

If someone asks for $100,000 for a pile of rust, it probably won't sell. If it does sell .... then the price was OK.
I don't think that is a true statement, but a true opinion. It was OK for that person who bought it but no one else. Its people like that that have pushed these classics to unreachable prices for people like low au classic.

Same goes for anything collectable. Prices go up when 1 person sees value in it then everyone in the market must now pay those prices. Ridiculous.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:16 PM   #34
Buzz Box
Wheel Wally

Patience is a virtue young grass hooper lol

Previously:
2009 Ford Focus - "The Bubble Car"
2002 Ford Futura Wagon - "The Big White Wagon"
1996 Ford Falcon - "Ophelia"
1975 Jaguar XJ6 - "The Beast"
Buzz Box is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2009, 12:28 PM   #35
Barry_v
rocknrolla

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.0i_SiX
Wish that were the case up here in QLD, been looking for a few years now and cant find anything worth buying for under 3-4 grand. Really wish I held on to my XM that I sold the the wreckers a few years ago...
bargains are rarely found locally. you've got to go where the cars are.. i went to Melbourne to get my Fairlane(800km from adelaide), Kinston S.E. (300km from adelaide) and although the XM was in adelaide, the seller had bought it from somewhere in the north of the state! If you're shopping for a particular model it becomes very important to expand your search area.
Barry_v is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2009, 12:28 PM   #36
XR2DOOR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

seems these days most young blokes want everything handed to them on a platter ,youve gotta do the hard yards
XR2DOOR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2009, 12:33 PM   #37
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Market forces determine price, this "baby boomer" excuse is rubbish, if people are waiting for the so called "baby boomer" influence to fall off you'll be waiting a long long time, im getting calls from people in their late 20's now looking for help buying a classic, the interest is filtering down to younger musclecar/motorsport enthusiasts all the time..
Their popularity and interest is continually self perpetuating...

Old 04-07-2009, 12:42 PM   #38
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowEL2XR8

I don't think that is a true statement, but a true opinion. It was OK for that person who bought it but no one else. Its people like that that have pushed these classics to unreachable prices for people like low au classic.

Same goes for anything collectable. Prices go up when 1 person sees value in it then everyone in the market must now pay those prices. Ridiculous.
Not an opinion really. If I have a car (or anything) that someone is willing to buy for the price I am happy with, why should I offer less? Its not a charity. When I sell are car, I will see what they are selling for (not just what is being asked for ... 2 different things) and ask accordingly.

In other words ...... It takes 2 people to set the bench mark for market price .... The buyer & a seller ...... thats it. If something is too expensive it will not sell.

What determines the price of a BA XR6? If I asked $30,000 for one would it sell it with 250,000 km's on the clock? Could I force up the market price?

Out of 95% that look and say its too expensive but 5% are serious and 1 of those buy ...... then that is a fair price. No one is holding a gun to anyones head to buy anything.

If you want it, can afford it, buy it. If you want it but havn't the money, of course in your eyes its too expensive. It isn't to the next person who comes along and buys it. The price ...... obviously .... was correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR2DOOR
seems these days most young blokes want everything handed to them on a platter ,youve gotta do the hard yards
Too true.

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2009, 12:45 PM   #39
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbrules
I spoke to Nigel at Mustangs & Australian classics, he says that a guy has purchased $600,000 worth of new old stock from ford at some point, took it all to Thailand, along with another million dollars to tool up and produce New XY body shells, apparently the first prototype is finished and new shells are only a few months off, around the $20,000 mark with all hanging panels, and the best news is that coupes are said to be about 18 months to 2 years away, new front end sheet metal is not far away either, such as bonnets and guards to suit XA and XB, of course you'll need a wheel chair as they'll cost an arm and a leg.
These bodyshells wont have a VIN or anything, how are you going to go getting them licensed?
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2009, 12:54 PM   #40
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

all well and good to rant about prices but remember ultimatly the value of an item is determined by the principal of supply and demand. the reason the prices are so high is people are willing to pay for a car that is in short supply (demand outstrips supply) the higher the ratio to demand Vs supply the higher the price becomes. so before you whinge about the price remember you ( along with everyone else that wants a clasic ford) are responsible for the pricing by increasing demand

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2009, 12:59 PM   #41
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by low au classic
hey all,
just wanted to have a little rant about the price of classic fords im a young ford lover and would love nothing more then to own my own little rusted out classic to call my own and fix up and give life back to it like some of or most of you guys out there have done. BUT and this is were my rant comes in what the hell is up with the prices of the classics today its becoming so hard to find a decent project car out there without a ridiculous price tag on it
i rember being a very young xc cobra fan and seeing them around stock as a rock clean and beautiful for a massive $9,000 you try finding one in a decent condition for under $40,000 that also goes for any thing with a gt badge or some stripes on it even the great little XD/XE spacks but thats not what ****es me off its the people trying to sell the old coupes and sedans that are so far gone in life (rusted floors,holes the size of watermelons,complet wrecks etc)
trying to get thousands for them : even on ebay its a rare occasion to see some old bomb go cheap to someone that wants to give it another chance at life
it really bugs me because i know now that i will never be able to own a classic or afford to fix one up i just cant bring myself to spend big on someting thats so rusted away as much as i would love to.
i wish it was just like the old days when you could find an old beat up xc/xb sedan on someones front lawn and chuck them a slab and drive that baby home.
anyway i know most of you will say that most of these cars are becoming rare these days and were run out models with only a few ever made but even just the stock cars hold there price good.
but anyway il stop going on and on

whats your opinion on tha price that the old classics are holding wreked or not?

im back off to ebay to keep trying to find a cortina or xb
good luck to you all out there with your hunts and builds :voldar02:

pat
Ummm I just had a search for "completed listings" on ebay I found decent registrable cars in every model of the x series run for under $5K so honestly I'm not sure what the rant is about.

Factory 351 XD Fairmont Ghia for under $5K I thought was good value. Not to mention Fairlanes that are cheap as chips.

When you saw XC Cobras for $9K I bet my bottom dollar a brand new falcon cost more, so they probably wern't cheap, they never have been relative to other cars.
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2009, 02:24 PM   #42
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad cow
around leongatha they are probably all rustwed away anyway... there are still some good cheapies around if you look out for them. i have a good te corty ghia 6cyl you can have for $500 but im probably a bit far away from you. i actually went to school in leongatha but have never returned for a look. i must do it one day.
A bit far away !!!! Get in the car and grab the cortina. They were missiles the six cylinder model. Not many good ones of them left....................
Old 04-07-2009, 03:43 PM   #43
homegrown
hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
These bodyshells wont have a VIN or anything, how are you going to go getting them licensed?
I would be thinking grabbing one of these shells if were ever available and swapping every nut bolt grommet from my old coupe into this new shell. Including changing the Vin. Would be the same if I had to replace the front end because of an accident. Who would know though.
Old 04-07-2009, 03:56 PM   #44
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bargains are out there. Look at the $3000 rust free XB GT I got a few years ago, then there is the XT ute I picked up with RWC and rego for $1500 about 3 years ago. Both were just advertised on carsales or in just cars.

I currently have a lead on an unrestored XR ute with zero rust for $500 in the country town I've just moved to.
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2009, 03:57 PM   #45
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggerlugs
A bit far away !!!! Get in the car and grab the cortina. They were missiles the six cylinder model. Not many good ones of them left....................
Missile: device for transporting a payload at high speed in a straight line to a place where the payload and missile itself will be destroyed in a ball of flame and noise.

Yep that is a fairly good description of a 6 cylinder cortina.

I wonder why there are not many left.....
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2009, 04:03 PM   #46
XD427
XD427

I have to agree with "Low AU classic" I reckon there are to many people asking rediculous prices for the old X series flacons, yes i realise they have appreciated since when i was 17 and at that time i bought a XB GS coupe replica for 5k it wasnt perfect but it was reasonable now similar cars are going for 30-50k + income, housing etc.. didnt increase 10 fold why is it the muscle cars have? and will eventually when vehicles arent running on crude oil/fuel anymore and there banned from the roadways will they not greatly depreciate?? Just my rant Ive been looking for a good coupe for a while and dont see nothing but snot over priced or restored and extremely overpriced.
Old 04-07-2009, 04:07 PM   #47
XR Van
2nd base mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Missile: device for transporting a payload at high speed in a straight line to a place where the payload and missile itself will be destroyed in a ball of flame and noise.

Yep that is a fairly good description of a 6 cylinder cortina.

I wonder why there are not many left.....
damn i had a good chuckle at that, funniest #hit i have read all year.

on the point of old classics. i picked up my van for 1000 bucks about 4 years ago. it was regisitered with a clevo and disc brake front end all in the melbourne trading post. i drive it every day.

our gal we picked up for just under 10k
it passed a r/w easily and has had about 18mths of problem free daily driving.

you cant expect to pay peanuts for a show car mate, it doesn't work like that. but there are still massive amounts of old coons out there and there are alot in very good condition for not alot of money.

cheers
dell

56 oldsmobile super 88 hardtop

36 ford pickup

Last edited by XR Van; 04-07-2009 at 04:12 PM.
XR Van is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2009, 04:08 PM   #48
homegrown
hotshot

Don't worry mate. I felt like you at one stage. See one in the paper, ring up, sold first thing in the morning. Its tough, but there's still plenty out there. Well in SA. Got mine sitting in a paddock for 3 gees. full of rust. but they're out there and some people don't know what they are.
Old 04-07-2009, 04:50 PM   #49
Magna
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.0i_SiX
I reckon EF-EL Xr6 5 speed manuals will be worth a bit in the future, especially if kept original
thats what i reckon too, even the XR8's they are dirt cheap now and while they might not be worth a mint later they will be worth something.
Magna is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2009, 04:58 PM   #50
Thankfull
Banned

I purchased an XY Fairmont GS 302 V8 Auto for $5000 in 1985 from the original owner, it was in very good condition as well...

I thought that was steep then....I always regretted letting it go 5 years later, the mind boggles at what it would be worth today....

Cheers
Thankfull is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2009, 05:00 PM   #51
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheek
well the way i think about it is, would i rather spend $500,000 on some fancy lambo supercar or 500,000 on the best australian built car ever made that is truley amazing....
(id pick the gtho)

Yep, we're all different.....I'd take the Lambo in a heartbeat....I thought the XW/XY's were ugly back in 1970 when my Dad and every other bloke in that era had one (or otherwise an HT/HG) and 39 years later that opinion still stands. I don't care how much they're worth.....Now an XA is a different story
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2009, 05:15 PM   #52
Thankfull
Banned

Quote:
hey all,
just wanted to have a little rant about the price of classic fords im a young ford lover and would love nothing more then to own my own little rusted out classic to call my own and fix up and give life back to it like some of or most of you guys out there have done. BUT and this is were my rant comes in what the hell is up with the prices of the classics today its becoming so hard to find a decent project car out there without a ridiculous price tag on it
i rember being a very young xc cobra fan and seeing them around stock as a rock clean and beautiful for a massive $9,000 you try finding one in a decent condition for under $40,000 that also goes for any thing with a gt badge or some stripes on it even the great little XD/XE spacks but thats not what ****es me off its the people trying to sell the old coupes and sedans that are so far gone in life (rusted floors,holes the size of watermelons,complet wrecks etc)
trying to get thousands for them : even on ebay its a rare occasion to see some old bomb go cheap to someone that wants to give it another chance at life
it really bugs me because i know now that i will never be able to own a classic or afford to fix one up i just cant bring myself to spend big on someting thats so rusted away as much as i would love to.
i wish it was just like the old days when you could find an old beat up xc/xb sedan on someones front lawn and chuck them a slab and drive that baby home.
anyway i know most of you will say that most of these cars are becoming rare these days and were run out models with only a few ever made but even just the stock cars hold there price good.
but anyway il stop going on and on

whats your opinion on tha price that the old classics are holding wreked or not?

im back off to ebay to keep trying to find a cortina or xb
good luck to you all out there with your hunts and builds :voldar02:

pat

psssst....instead of complaining....open your eyes and look around at what is happening right now to the new millenium GT and GTP in the BA series.

There are series 1 BA GTs comming on to the market now from the high 20s to the low 30 ks

Most of them are in good nick with low ks (some of them) we picked up a Series 1 BA GT for 32 k with only 51000 ks on the clock.

Look at buying GT or GTP forget the XR6 and XR8 there is no substitute for that GT badge when looking to the future...and the time is now.

Cheers

Last edited by Thankfull; 04-07-2009 at 05:20 PM.
Old 04-07-2009, 05:20 PM   #53
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

^^^^^^^^ above post their the ones that you dont have to restore just preserve for the next 20 years and see what becomes of them. Worst case senario is they dont go up in value but you still have a really cool car as above.

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
FPV+fteT3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2009, 05:49 PM   #54
low au classic
EA FALCONED

whats the fun with buying something you cant restore like the gt pictured above it just takes the whole point out of what i was saying its not a classic yet some of you guys understand what im getting at with the prices of old fords
and who would want to buy a already finished project thats already had the hard work done to it its just not the same as building something yourself and putting in all your heart and soul to make something special.
im not bitching about how much the nice fixed up ones are selling for but how ridiculous priced the old sedans,escorts,cortinas,fairlanes,etc are even know there a stone throw away from the scrap metal yard but because of the rise in people intrested in restoreing them they know that they can get lots of cash for them
if anyone knows of any good places to find nice old project car give us some names im always checking just cars and tradingpost,auctions,ebay,gumtree.localpapers etc
i even try the occasional drive to old towns to see whats laying around which reminds me :voldar02:
thanks all so far for all the input and haven your say

SVO wheels 16x7 & 16x8
SVO MOMO steering wheel
SVO rear spoiler
SVO dash cluster
SVO RECARO trim
SVO headers
SVO grille
Sounds good pity it hasn’t ran in 3 years
low au classic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2009, 06:20 PM   #55
Thankfull
Banned

The Point I was trying to make was, you can have fun in it right now and do a ground up resto much later on.....far more easily....because you have looked after it.
The really important thing to remember is to buy GT or GTP....ford GTs have a known history of increasing in value....

The key is to buy at least GT...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dPvu...eature=related

I am going to get a link for you to a story about a guy who purchased a XY GT new back in 71 and who still owns it today....the short story is a great read...the photos are dynamite!!!

Cheers
Old 04-07-2009, 06:25 PM   #56
mickvxbs
bogan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Market forces determine price, this "baby boomer" excuse is rubbish, if people are waiting for the so called "baby boomer" influence to fall off you'll be waiting a long long time, im getting calls from people in their late 20's now looking for help buying a classic, the interest is filtering down to younger musclecar/motorsport enthusiasts all the time..
Their popularity and interest is continually self perpetuating...

I agree that it is market forces diving up prices but what is behind this force is cashed up baby boomers and imo there is little doubt about that, i only need look at the paint and panel course i recently did, at 34 i was the youngest there with a classic!

In 1995'ish i paid $1250 for my complete XBGS coupe with a 302, back then there was little interest in these cars, in fact i remember well what my parents and work colleagues (who were baby boomers) said about it "rusty s***box!" they were deadright too! I then went on to spend over 20g's on it for it to be worth say 14k back then(about 97)

As interest/enthusiasm and money wains off we will see a price correction with these cars, we are already seeing it imo with the GFC, but i do agree that we will never see the prices as low as they were when i bought mine because of the interest sparked by baby boomers.
mickvxbs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2009, 06:28 PM   #57
Thankfull
Banned

Ok...now this link will lead you to the Falcon GT club of South Australia.... if it does not take you straight to the story and photos....enter the club and look in the menu for photos of members cars....

Your looking for Rons Vermillion fire XY GT....great short story to go with it...fantastic photos...an original one owner XY GT and an every day use car as well for a long period of time

http://www.gtclubsa.com.au/home.htm

Cheers

http://www.gtclubsa.com.au/home.htm
Old 04-07-2009, 06:45 PM   #58
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

So you DO know why they are priced the way they are .....
Quote:
.......... not bitching about how much the nice fixed up ones are selling for but how ridiculous priced the old sedans,escorts,cortinas,fairlanes,etc are even know there a stone throw away from the scrap metal yard but because of the rise in people interested in restoring them they know that they can get lots of cash for them ....
If anyone doesn't want to pay market price for an X series, obviously they don't really want one.

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2009, 07:03 PM   #59
Pinkbits
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tell us precisely what you are looking for and i will keep my eyes open. Like i mentioned previously i come across all makes and models when i am away, Auslandau will vouch for me with all the pics i text to him.

My ZG Fairlane that i bought from a member here for just over 2K has to be one of the best rust free bodies i have seen. When it goes in for paint i will post lots of pics.
Pinkbits is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2009, 07:06 PM   #60
Melz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkbits
Auslandau will vouch for me with all the pics i text to him.
We are still talking about cars here, aren't we?
Melz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post