Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-02-2009, 10:56 PM   #31
balimuklas

twisted arm behind back?
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2009, 01:06 AM   #32
gtfpv
GT

i'll give a couple of examples of why people have some unsure opinions an salesman. there is a huige diffferance between a good one and a shotty one.
these are true .
i once had a friend, who gave up his trade and became a car salesman . after a few months during drinks , he'd start telling me , that when i'm ready i can buy a car off him as he will look after me , because we're mates. no pressure , just letting me know . after a few more months he was wondering why i havent taken advantage of knowing a salesman , and getting a good deal. i never bought a car off him as i wasnt in the market for one .
a couple of years later , when he'd left selling vehicles and returned to the trade , he told me it was a selling tactic to sell to friends and family as they trust you, and claims that he made more money through associates and friends on that basis , then anyone off the street . he vowed it is real dirty tactics being a salesman.
in the early 1990's i was driving along parramatta road looking at cars in yards from my car whilst driving . whilst stopped at the lights a salesmen waved me into the car yard . his 1st question was , you trading up , whats your budget . my reply $6000. he waved to his associate and asked if we've got anything for $6K. WHICH AT THE TIME COULD BUY A FAIRMONT XF WITH LOW KMS OR AN EA FALCON 4 YEARS OLD .
the reply was yeah we've got a good one out the back just came in . all of a sudden i had 3 salesman walking me behind the building . and there was a 1983 orange stock as a rock xe falcon sedan with oblaque paint , faded interior , and 636 000kms on the clock . you can have this for $6k. back then it was worth about $500 . no thanks i said . then they got intimidating . why ? I REPLIED : , because its not an update , its an old bomb with 600k on it .ONE OF THEM REPLIED: your just put off because it doesnt have mag wheels , what about a nice new set of simmons mags thrown in . i kept walking away, 5K ONE OF THEM YELLED . ,THEN OK 2K , including the wheels . to which they received my middle finger .
another time i bought a datsun 200b . i thought it was a GX . THE salesman said it is , he knew it was a GL, on the contract he wrote GX-GL 200B.
after purchase i had it inspected and found it to be a peice of excrement in need of rust repairs and head gasket blown , so returned for warranty, with the nrma report . now the dealer stated that i am being a newsence ,but because of thier good nature they'll fix it . 2 weeks later i come to get the car . told to get it 2 blocks away on the side of the road , the marks that i put on the car to ensure the work had been done , werent touched ., ( the car was parked on the street for 2 weeks ) that car ended up being repaired reall really well after consumer affairs got involved .

sorry for dealers and salesman who feel bad about being tagged , i just hope that you understand why the public become distrusting when it come to buying cars .
CHEERS.
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2009, 01:32 AM   #33
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

thats a very interesting experience mate. Thanks for sharing.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2009, 11:30 PM   #34
OZQUAD44
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good point about the net being a useful buying tool, I searched all over for my last car and did all the dealing via email, the net has opened up a real pandoras box in relation to buying a car.

Face to face has its disadvantages in some case's I'm sure email haggling has its own type of shortcomings. I wonder what they could be?
OZQUAD44 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2009, 11:52 PM   #35
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
you can usually bargain a little harder if you say you have cold cash (i.e. no finance) They are somewhat willing to negotiate a cash settlement as I think there is less paperwork to deal with, and they can get the dollars in quicker than waiting for a bank to cough up a bank cheque and waiting for it to clear.

I could be wrong on this though, and happy to be corrected on it.

This is my negotiating tactics in the end, and it has helped in making them come to the party to some respect.
Totally wrong. They actually make more money if you finance with them...
Old 06-03-2009, 11:59 PM   #36
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
Totally wrong. They actually make more money if you finance with them...
Yep. My mum bought a new car recently with cash and they looked almost surprised and as if they didnt want to accept it. They said they would of preferred finance.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post