Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-01-2009, 12:54 PM   #31
FalconXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Not quite right.... there was no upper limit on the 40+ age group.
But around 50% were in the 18 - 29 age group!
What's this obsession with age?
Why are people always pulling out age statistics?
Whether it be speeding, accidents, drinking, etc - age is always categorised.

To the people over 40 pointing the finger at the younger generation and shaking their heads; are you people not the parents of the children / adults in this age group? Something to think about...

Screw age stats - their as meaningless as "speed" as a factor in an accident.
FalconXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2009, 12:57 PM   #32
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconXR6

To the people over 40 pointing the finger at the younger generation and shaking their heads; are you people not the parents of the children / adults in this age group? Something to think about...

So you're saying that speed cannot be a factor in an accident?
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2009, 01:03 PM   #33
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Work it out for yourself..... :

http://www.monash.edu.au/cemo/roadsa...ndsexsmall.pdf

Old 19-01-2009, 01:19 PM   #34
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobman
YTD
2008 toll 14
2009 toll 21 (up 50%)

Victoria's road toll to date and last year's from 01/01 to 19/01.

Yeah, cameras, blitzes and hoon laws are really working.

To top it off, Victoria Police have wasted money on new liveries for TMU Cars. A dash of yellow and blue. Look more like racing cars now.

Spending on more members seems to be "too hard" for any Government though.
This is a subject that can be 'spun' so easily.......

The answer to that from the powers that collect revenue is that if it wasn't for the speed camera's heavy handedness the toll would be double.

If it was 1/2 the amount from last year ..... they are working ....... If its double ..... they are working!

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2009, 01:20 PM   #35
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Not quite right.... there was no upper limit on the 40+ age group.
I looked at a different set of stats, where the DUI charges were broken down by individual ages. 40-60 were around 20% (give or take). 60+ is <<5%
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2009, 02:02 PM   #36
Wally
XP Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz
the older i get the more i hate a police state, every road with a price tag (tolls)

or maybe i'm just a grumpy old man.
You are not alone in your antipathy. It seems we can't escape the daily grind of the print media castigating us mere mortals for not being as servile as the politicians in their grip.

We are supposed to be inspired by road toll counts as if it's the score at a cricket match, we are supposed to feel a guilt and get chided if we suggest the fault may lay with people being allowed to buy a missile on wheels that is inherently and universally unsafe; the beige brigade' who demand "off with their heads" for every misdemeanour spend their entire lives inside the safety circle and eventually expire without ever being more than a drone.

I marched in the sixties for social freedoms, but now I'm old enough to be a legitimate grump I wish I never did, because somewhere along the line we lost a lot more ground than when we started, not that people under 40 would know what it's like without a social conditioning nanny state interfering in every aspect of their lives.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2009, 02:06 PM   #37
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
You are not alone in your antipathy. It seems we can't escape the daily grind of the print media castigating us mere mortals for not being as servile as the politicians in their grip.

We are supposed to be inspired by road toll counts as if it's the score at a cricket match, we are supposed to feel a guilt and get chided if we suggest the fault may lay with people being allowed to buy a missile on wheels that is inherently and universally unsafe; the beige brigade' who demand "off with their heads" for every misdemeanour spend their entire lives inside the safety circle and eventually expire without ever being more than a drone.

I marched in the sixties for social freedoms, but now I'm old enough to be a legitimate grump I wish I never did, because somewhere along the line we lost a lot more ground than when we started, not that people under 40 would know what it's like without a social conditioning nanny state interfering in every aspect of their lives.
I honestly don't feel that the general media are "anti" performance vehicles or car enthusiasts 1 bit... nor are they overly biased against any demographic that can't be supported via evidence...
There might be isolated segments that are anti anything but the overwhelming feeling i get is they're "against" anti social driving habits.. not the cars.
The fact that they're highlighting an over 40 "hoon" category suggests to me anyone's fair game if they stick their head out.

Old 19-01-2009, 02:08 PM   #38
FalconXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT0132
So you're saying that speed cannot be a factor in an accident?
Of course "speed" is a factor in an accident.

If an object is moving (speed) when it connects with another object which is also trying to occupy the same space in the time space continum, then certainly "speed" is a factor.

Am I playing semantics with the word "speed".
No.
They are.
Old 19-01-2009, 02:41 PM   #39
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Of course "speed" is a factor in an accident.

If an object is moving (speed) when it connects with another object which is also trying to occupy the same space in the time space continum, then certainly "speed" is a factor.

Am I playing semantics with the word "speed".
No.
They are.
I would sincerely hope people are smart enough to understand the context with which the term "speed" is used in advertising.......

We've comfortably grasped the concept that "drink driving" kills..

Nobody literally believes that if you have a drink then drive a car you're going to die....

Old 19-01-2009, 02:57 PM   #40
ea90gl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
1433 police officers fined for speeding
What hope do we have when those responsible for up-holding/enforcing the law can't get it right?
Doesnt surprise me at all, last night while dropping a mate off at his place we were chugging along at 60 in a 60 zone, while I checked my rear view mirror I notice some bike lights approaching gaining on me. Next thing I know this cop on a bike passes us and in the distance of about 5km through the 60 zone he ended up being way infront of us. Must of been doing at least 70km/h. No way he was heading to any callout/scene otherwise it would of been all out or nothing. Funnily enough we see the single brake light turn right a number of intersections up heading to that areas police station. I say practice what you preach otherwise stop feeding us this "speeding is the devil's act and will definately cause you to kill thousands of families" crap
ea90gl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2009, 03:29 PM   #41
Wally
XP Coupe

Quote:
I honestly don't feel that the general media are "anti" performance vehicles or car enthusiasts 1 bit... nor are they overly biased against any demographic that can't be supported via evidence...
There might be isolated segments that are anti anything but the overwhelming feeling i get is they're "against" anti social driving habits.. not the cars.
The fact that they're highlighting an over 40 "hoon" category suggests to me anyone's fair game if they stick their head out.
I don't think they are anti performance either, but there have been significant editorials to suggest that once out of their cars and behind a keyboard, the editors become disassociated with general population and push for social engineering, balanced by individual rights tokenism.

I don't know why the press feel it's their warrant to set the agenda for social consciousness and why they have to play the police, hospital, hooning,etc cards everytime there's an election looming or they want to tip out a minister without being seen as pernicious. In the case of them promoting the enfranchisement of the police force we now have a situation in Qld where the govt is empowering the officers to be judge, jury and executioner on matters that have traditionally been serious enough for judicial oversight.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2009, 03:33 PM   #42
FalconXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I would sincerely hope people are smart enough to understand the context with which the term "speed" is used in advertising.......

We've comfortably grasped the concept that "drink driving" kills..

Nobody literally believes that if you have a drink then drive a car you're going to die....
Clearly they're not.
Take a look at the amount of people on this site alone that swallow "speed kills", let alone the general public.
Old 19-01-2009, 03:43 PM   #43
FalconXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Missing the point.

And I'm not interested in statistics.
Doesn't do anything for me as data like this is easily corrubptable and / or selective.
Old 19-01-2009, 03:50 PM   #44
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Clearly they're not.
Take a look at the amount of people on this site alone that swallow "speed kills", let alone the general public.
In the context of how the "speed kills" slogan is meant to be taken its correct....

The problem comes when people split hairs about the absolute V intended meaning of the phrase.....

Old 19-01-2009, 04:50 PM   #45
Turbotory
SYTTG

Quote:
What hope do we have when those responsible for up-holding/enforcing the law can't get it right?
Just had a peek... the last couple of lines brought it home.

"Cumming was banned from driving for a year for speeding in a police car at 202km/h on the F6 twice in January, 2006. There was no pursuit underway."

"Cumming pleaded guilty to two counts of exceeding the speed limit by more than 45km/h - but remains on the force."

And they have the audacity to berate us
Turbotory is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2009, 05:41 PM   #46
FalconXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
In the context of how the "speed kills" slogan is meant to be taken its correct....

The problem comes when people split hairs about the absolute V intended meaning of the phrase.....
Not in respect to what I am / was implying.
The problem lies in statistical data where "speed" is a factor in an accident (statistical data which is generally used by government to justify revenue raising devices and tactics).
Old 19-01-2009, 05:45 PM   #47
itchy brother
Windsor Warlords

Quote:
Law Hoons!! :hihi: :hihi:
They are properly trained to hoon around!
Old 19-01-2009, 05:57 PM   #48
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

a couple more years and i can join the club ,cant wait !
Old 19-01-2009, 06:22 PM   #49
buickman
buickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son
around 20% of drink drivers are in the 40-60 age group.

I’m in that age group and going back to the 1970’s we used to help friends into their cars to drive home knowing they were intoxicated .

Law enforcement’ was not as we know it with breath testing stations you just took the chance that a police car was not following you.
Most of us grew out of that stupidity thank goodness

But the ones that continued to do it and survive into middle age have not learnt even with current law enforcements in place and because of their history and lifestyle they show up more so than a lot of other age groups in drink driving
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2009, 07:05 PM   #50
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
I don't think they are anti performance either, but there have been significant editorials to suggest that once out of their cars and behind a keyboard, the editors become disassociated with general population and push for social engineering, balanced by individual rights tokenism.

I don't know why the press feel it's their warrant to set the agenda for social consciousness and why they have to play the police, hospital, hooning,etc cards everytime there's an election looming or they want to tip out a minister without being seen as pernicious. In the case of them promoting the enfranchisement of the police force we now have a situation in Qld where the govt is empowering the officers to be judge, jury and executioner on matters that have traditionally been serious enough for judicial oversight.

The media have an agenda pure and simple, the want to postion the public and have turned journalism into a joke. Australia doesn't really have a free media anymore. They need to keep the readers and make a profit. Unfortunatly this is what you get when you allow two comapnies to own all media outlets in the country. ABC is an exception but they are pushing an agenda as well.
Old 19-01-2009, 07:13 PM   #51
BHDOGS
Banned

I spose when you look at it young people are meant to hoon its why there young and stupid but when your over 30 realisticly you cant use excuses anymore your just retarded.
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2009, 07:48 PM   #52
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHDOGS
I spose when you look at it young people are meant to hoon its why there young and stupid but when your over 30 realisticly you cant use excuses anymore your just retarded.
If your spelling is anything to go by, I would not throw the "retarded" nametag about too readily.

Anybody who hoons is a fool. Whether you're 16, 24, 40 or 80, there is no excuse.
If you want to mess about in your car, take it to and keep it on the track.

I'm 25, I'm young, and possibly stupid, but I don't hoon and act like a tool.

It really is not hard to not hoon.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2009, 10:52 PM   #53
ltd_on20s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

hmm i remember laminge shutting my thread down when i posted that

http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....highlight=1433

i mean really it just goes to prove that they dont believe in that speed kills crap anymore then we do, they are just paid to uphold some arbitary law made by some guy who gets chaufferred around everywhere.
ltd_on20s is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2009, 12:54 AM   #54
86XFFairmont
No Car Too Low Too Tow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saiken
the "midlife crisis" hoon....... LOL!!!!

A friend of mine has the Vic Pol contract for when you don't have your own tower... in the last two weeks the best two cars they have hoon-towed where a Ferrari F430 and an AC Cobra, both being driven by people in this category :P
Sorry to say mate but all hoon towing is contracted to certain companies, (knowing from previously driving for a company who started them)
The main chunk of the pie is guarded via Nationwide and the rest is to whom vic pol / D24 have contracted to do it and its also pronounced TOWIE dude...
Old 20-01-2009, 12:59 AM   #55
Marduk
BFII XR6

Given the very very lose definition of hoon. I know quite a few "mid-life crisis" hoons. I wouldn't really consider them myself to be hoons but given the witch hunt the media has on I guess they would be seen as hoons in the eyes of these witch hunters.