Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: Has the Road Toll affected you?
No, luckily not yet. 124 71.68%
Yes, lost a loved one. 25 14.45%
Yes, ive lost 2-3 Loved ones. 15 8.67%
Yes, sadly ive lost more than 3 loved ones.. 9 5.20%
Voters: 173. You may not vote on this poll

Old 13-11-2008, 06:48 PM   #31
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Yes but only due to being on emergency call for Energy Australia as a lineworker..
I am a big bloke.. When I got home from some accidents I cried like a baby...
I cannot do it now.. I kid you not !!
Have all the support for accident crews etc...

I grew up on dairy farm and from young age learnt about cars and machinery..
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2008, 06:55 PM   #32
Wally
XP Coupe

Best friend and mother's brother.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2008, 08:32 PM   #33
Rastus
XY,XC,XEx2,XA,EF,AU,BA,XY

My Brother in Law, his Partner and my Niece & Nephew, all taken in one accident. Was the darkest day for our family, and my wifes whole family. One minute they were with us, the next they weren't. The kids stayed at our house the night before, as their parents packed for their journey to Queensland, giving the kids one last sleep over with their cousins before they left. The day they left, the Brother in Law & I were still mucking around with his XD ESP, readying it for storage before he left. 4 Lifetimes of future good times gone.
Old 14-11-2008, 01:26 AM   #34
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not a loved one, but Dad's best mate's nephew, who I also knew, decided that he'd drive to work and not wear his seat belt. He was going at a decent speed, lost control and went out the windscreen.

I do not remember if alcohol or drugs (legal) were involved.

Many accidents and deaths are due to poor decision making. This was an example.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2008, 06:46 PM   #35
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

I'm glad I've never lost anyone close.

I nearly did recently when a close friend I worked with lost control on a dirt road and went down a 5 metre embankment. Ended up on the roof. As you can imagine, a toyota yaris doesn't fare to well with an accident like that. I dunno what I would have done if something happened to her.

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2008, 08:08 PM   #36
Rob's 76 Effy
Lion Tammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Well just 24 hrs into the poll and already its apparent that the vast majority of people here haven't had to deal with the loss of a loved one from a road fatality..
I dont think that would be a true and accurate statement, not everyone needs to let the world know of there loss,
"When you push a car past 180mph, the world starts to get awfully fuzzy. When you go past 200mph it actually blurs. The Bugatti Veyron is mind-blowingly, stunningly brilliant. It deserves 12 stars. Simply as good and as fast as it gets"
Don't drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly
Rob's 76 Effy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2008, 08:11 PM   #37
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer_Me
I dont think that would be a true and accurate statement, not everyone needs to let the world know of there loss,
For starters its an anonymous poll.... secondly there's enough votes to form a picture of the trend..

Old 14-11-2008, 08:25 PM   #38
Orbit
Resident Nyctophobic!!

I had 5 mates go in one crash. A New mum hit by sleepy 65year old and killed with the baby. 4 Others speed, fatigue and alcohol.
another and the most tragic was a close friend who was policeman, who saw his wifes car driving around town, knew his wife was out of town and followed it, long story short, chase ended in the car wrapped around the tree...turned out to be his 13yearold daughter out for a joy ride, first on scene to find his daughter 30m from the car after being thrown theough the front windscreen, ended up divorced, he comitted suicide shortly after.
Old 14-11-2008, 08:37 PM   #39
Johndec
FG XR8 Ute and AU3 XR8

Quote:
Exactly... What I lost won't become a mere statistic in this poll.
Johndec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2008, 10:00 PM   #40
Rob's 76 Effy
Lion Tammer

Quote:
For starters its an anonymous poll.... secondly there's enough votes to form a picture of the trend..
Less than 130 votes out of how many members 47,500 (forms a great picture) :
I'm with Johndec, these post do nothing for ppl that are grieving from there loss and bring back memories that they rather forget (not so much forget but being resurrected)
"When you push a car past 180mph, the world starts to get awfully fuzzy. When you go past 200mph it actually blurs. The Bugatti Veyron is mind-blowingly, stunningly brilliant. It deserves 12 stars. Simply as good and as fast as it gets"
Old 14-11-2008, 10:05 PM   #41
xbgs351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't know anybody who has died in a car accident. I do however know of three people who have committed suicide.
xbgs351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2008, 10:26 PM   #42
RegSpec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

At 53 Iv'e lost far too many friends and relatives to the road toll.....
But the ones that hit me hardest was my father who was killed in a heavy vehicle accident (had to go home and tell my mother and sister)....:(
and not long after my best mate at the time was killed with his fiancee after a drunk crossed over the median strip and hit his XU1 headon.... :
New ride....07' RSpec manual Typhoon in Winter White....factory sunroof, Premium sound, Process West intercooler, upsized tubing, valve springs, 1000cc injectors, Delphi intank pump,*modified turbo, 4" dump, 5" cat, dual 2 1/2" Xforce exhaust, Mal Wood Opt 5 clutch, Herrod shifter, Ozrace coilovers with adj. Whiteline bars, 6 spot Brembos,
Edit by Crescent Motorsport.....382rwkws @ 1150nms on E85....
RegSpec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2008, 02:39 AM   #43
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Less than 130 votes out of how many members 47,500 (forms a great picture) :
I'm with Johndec, these post do nothing for ppl that are grieving from there loss and bring back memories that they rather forget (not so much forget but being resurrected)
Sorry but that's absolute RUBBISH... why should our loved ones die in vein??? share your grief.. try to help and make others understand..

Old 15-11-2008, 10:05 AM   #44
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Well just 24 hrs into the poll and already its apparent that the vast majority of people here haven't had to deal with the loss of a loved one from a road fatality.. i'm actually quite surprised, but it also confirms a few things, and also shows some areas of opportunity for the authorities to try some different angles too...
The vast majority of those who voted maybe, not the majority of AFF members.

FWIW I didn't vote.
Old 15-11-2008, 11:34 AM   #45
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

Luckily i haven't been affected, i do agree with the posts about people needing to watch out for bikes on the road!, my dads a biker and i would hate to loose him!
Old 15-11-2008, 12:23 PM   #46
xbgs351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Well just 24 hrs into the poll and already its apparent that the vast majority of people here haven't had to deal with the loss of a loved one from a road fatality.. i'm actually quite surprised, but it also confirms a few things, and also shows some areas of opportunity for the authorities to try some different angles too...
Australia's population is 21.5 million people and the annual road toll is around 1.5 thousand. So given the demographics of this forum, the results don't look too strange. Another way to look at it is road deaths account for 1.25% of all deaths.
xbgs351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2008, 01:28 PM   #47
4VCLEVO
XA GT

I lost my father in 1990, a truck went through a stop sign and my father slamed into the tray of the truck. It was a 100km/h zone and my father had no chance to stop for the truck that failed to give way.
4VCLEVO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2008, 02:58 PM   #48
zigzagnt

don't know if this counts but about 16ish years ago when i was in yr 1 (i think It may have been yr 2) at school a kid in my class was hit by a bus (literally) and killed.And a few years ago a guy we knew (through friends) was t-boned at an intersection and killed.Dad went past on his way home from work and was directed around the scene by the police,He didn't know who it was until our friend rang us later that night and told us it was this fellow.
zigzagnt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2008, 04:24 PM   #49
Rob's 76 Effy
Lion Tammer

Seems like it's always the other person fault on most of these posts, ive never killed anyone but sure have shot a few cars off the M4 Sydney in the truck for being total Dic wads
Old 16-11-2008, 07:13 PM   #50
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Seems like it's always the other person fault on most of these posts, ive never killed anyone but sure have shot a few cars off the M4 Sydney in the truck for being total Dic wads
Wow.. great attitude... :

Old 16-11-2008, 07:49 PM   #51
toyxr8

Quote:

FAN F@#KING TASTIC......................

Mate, i drive a truck, and get stereo-typed because of knobs like you.
toyxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2008, 01:20 PM   #52
Huntsman
Starter Motor

Touched too many times.

First time my best mate, 18, had his bike L plates for two weeks and killed on Great Ocean Road with me 50 metres behind him.

Second was my brother in law, back seat of a Benz, dirt road, telephone pole, 130 km/h, say no more.

Third was my little bloke Zack, two years old, in the back seat of a car T-boned by a P plater.

And still my elected representatives believe speed cameras are a better alternative to driver training.

Go figure
Huntsman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2008, 02:47 PM   #53
Ralliart
2011 A New Fresh Start

Lost no-one yet thank God
Old 19-11-2008, 08:34 PM   #54
Rob's 76 Effy
Lion Tammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyxr8
FAN F@#KING TASTIC......................

Mate, i drive a truck, and get stereo-typed because of knobs like you.
Call what you like, but when I'm driving down the M4 bearing down on a car in front of me that's doing a lot less that the posted speed limit and the car in the next lane is 50m behind me and as soon as i put on my blinker and it then speeds up and sit right at the rear of the truck, i ain't about to rear end the car in front, and i would do it again again, it's got me 'd why ppl speed up when they see a blinker on expesially on a truck :
Old 19-11-2008, 09:25 PM   #55
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Call what you like, but when I'm driving down the M4 bearing down on a car in front of me that's doing a lot less that the posted speed limit and the car in the next lane is 50m behind me and as soon as i put on my blinker and it then speeds up and sit right at the rear of the truck, i ain't about to rear end the car in front, and i would do it again again, it's got me 'd why ppl speed up when they see a blinker on expesially on a truck :
Glad you have your truck license .... you deserve it. :togo:

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2008, 09:30 PM   #56
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Seems the radiation levels on the M4 are causing chromosomes to deplete!
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2008, 02:33 AM   #57
Fordfan4u

The M4 is a shocking bit of highway in Syd. I drive it everyday and see an accident every other day. Best I've seen is 7 in way day.
Ive lost 2 close friends in car/bike accidents.
1st one, AU XR8 Ute, thought he was driving a super car. Back roads + ~180km/h + bend with slight bumps in it = sideways into pole. You can imagine the rest. Pulling up to his house to say hi to a mate and you see his distraught mother and tears from one of the toughest fathers I know.
2nd one, riding a road trail bike, going for a bit of a burst with some other friends, usually head up to the twisties for some fun, a car coming the other way come into a corner to hot and end up over the lines on the wrong side of the road. Again you can imagine the out-come.

Oh and my dad is a truck driver, I'm not sure exactly what sort of truck it is, but its a 16ton Volvo, you seem to see so many more on the road riding in a truck. I can understand why some truckers use a bit of muscle to get their way on the roads, but merging over on-top of/pushing off the road/out of the way is damn stupid. Good work Explorer, I agree with Toyxr8.
One day you will do that to the wrong person and they will follow you with death in their eyes and end your life properly. We can only hope, before you end someone elses.

Fordfan
Fordfan4u is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2008, 07:26 AM   #58
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Over the years I have lost heps of mates in car crashes, other than a brother-in-law who I was very close to, no family.

However I spent over 10 years as a volunteer rescue worker and I attened heaps and heaps of fatal crashes to remove the bodies from the vehicles.

The sadest was when 2 young girls were doing a U turn and a young bloke slammed into the drivers door killing both young girls.
Old 20-11-2008, 08:05 AM   #59
Rob's 76 Effy
Lion Tammer

I'll give you guys a ladder so you can get over it, if i hadn't done what i did the out come would of been much worse, nice of you ppl to paint a picture without actually being there well done have it framed
Old 20-11-2008, 08:44 AM   #60
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I'll give you guys a ladder so you can get over it, if i hadn't done what i did the out come would of been much worse, nice of you ppl to paint a picture without actually being there well done have it framed
You painted your own picture then framed it yourself..