Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 10-11-2008, 10:54 PM   #31
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Unichips work, just not as well as other options.
Things that I have tried and do absolute jack
tickford/xr6t snorkel - No gain
K & N filter - only gain is they don't need replacing.
larger leads or leads branded as per some sticker you saw on a race car/titanium or any other "ium" plugs on a stock 6 - no gain
I'm out of bait, will throw the line back in anoher time
StealthAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2008, 11:00 PM   #32
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthAu
Unichips work, just not as well as other options.
Things that I have tried and do absolute jack
tickford/xr6t snorkel - No gain
K & N filter - only gain is they don't need replacing.
larger leads or leads branded as per some sticker you saw on a race car/titanium or any other "ium" plugs on a stock 6 - no gain
I'm out of bait, will throw the line back in anoher time
Why would you even post rubbish like that, if there really was no gain from a larger snorkel then why would Ford make them specially for their higher powered vehicles.

As for the "bait" comment, seriously grow up if that amuses you.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2008, 11:18 PM   #33
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell
Why would you even post rubbish like that, if there really was no gain from a larger snorkel then why would Ford make them specially for their higher powered vehicles.

As for the "bait" comment, seriously grow up if that amuses you.
you just took a bite Russ
Old 10-11-2008, 11:20 PM   #34
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC
you just took a bite Russ
That's because "fishing" annoys the hell out of me. It's a pointless exercise done by people with too much time on their hands that think it's funny to post crap.
Old 10-11-2008, 11:22 PM   #35
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sorry, but on a stock 6 with stock induction piping how is increasing the size of the snorkel going to help when all the restrictions are left in place between it and the throttle body.
As for the bait comment, when everyone has one and says there are gains because everyone else has one, you know stating that they don't work will get a few reactions, I'm sure if a dozen of ya's jammed a sock up your intake then said you gained performance, with in a month most people on here would be doing the same
Old 10-11-2008, 11:23 PM   #36
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
That's because "fishing" annoys the hell out of me. It's a pointless exercise done by people with too much time on their hands that think it's funny to post crap.
you are guilty of it too Russ. :
Old 10-11-2008, 11:25 PM   #37
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Sorry, but on a stock 6 with stock induction piping how is increasing the size of the snorkel going to help when all the restrictions are left in place between it and the throttle body.
As for the bait comment, when everyone has one and says there are gains because everyone else has one, you know stating that they don't work will get a few reactions, I'm sure if a dozen of ya's jammed a sock up your intake then said you gained performance, with in a month most people on here would be doing the same
I did jam a sock up there just to prove that the eBay intake mod/ electric supercharger works

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC
you are guilty of it too Russ. :
Me, never.
Old 10-11-2008, 11:31 PM   #38
CAT600
I miss my wheelbarrow
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out fellow AFF members... Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Daniels knowledge of modular engines and superchargers is extremely valuable to the AFF community. I have learnt quite a bit just reading his build threads. His contributions are often utilised by other members. 

The only mod I have done with a sock, is the one I stuffed down my pants before I went clubbing that time...........................

THAT DID NOT WORK !!!!

Daniel
CAT600 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2008, 11:32 PM   #39
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I was only joking with the bait comment, I added that in because I knew people would argue, as you know you can't deal with facts on here most of the time.
I've tried what I listed on my then stock i6 and they did crap all, thats the facts, but others will always argue when a clicky $40 "mod" gets mentioned for what it is really worth.
Old 10-11-2008, 11:32 PM   #40
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT600
The only mod I have done with a sock, is the one I stuffed down my pants before I went clubbing that time...........................

THAT DID NOT WORK !!!!

Daniel
Yeah but wasn't that because you forgot it was supposed to go at the front? : : :
Old 10-11-2008, 11:34 PM   #41
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
I was only joking with the bait comment, I added that in because I knew people would argue, as you know you can't deal with facts on here most of the time.
I've tried what I listed on my then stock i6 and they did crap all, thats the facts, but others will always argue when a clicky $40 "mod" gets mentioned for what it is really worth.
Thing is though that the intake snorkel does work, it just needs to be complemented by other mods like exhaust/headers for there to be any gains had.

To breathe out first you must be able to breathe in.
Old 10-11-2008, 11:41 PM   #42
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Thing is though that the intake snorkel does work, it just needs to be complemented by other mods like exhaust/headers for there to be any gains had.

To breathe out first you must be able to breathe in.
Yeah, my car had a 2.5" system and egg beaters, still no gain. The pipe from the airbox to the t/b is more of a restriction then the snorkel.
Back to back runs on the dyno, stock induction with a k&n against a small carby style air cleaner (with paper filter) and 2.5" s/s intake with the sharpest 90deg bend...... the second mentioned setup had an extra 4rwkw's. If that doesn't say something about the visably restrictive intake pipe then I must be talking chinese
Old 11-11-2008, 12:04 AM   #43
CAT600
I miss my wheelbarrow
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out fellow AFF members... Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Daniels knowledge of modular engines and superchargers is extremely valuable to the AFF community. I have learnt quite a bit just reading his build threads. His contributions are often utilised by other members. 

Quote:
Yeah but wasn't that because you forgot it was supposed to go at the front? : : :
Now you tell me.

SHITE!!!!!!!!

Daniel
CAT600 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2008, 12:15 AM   #44
Windsor220
Now Fordless

I think the snorkel is needed on the V8s as they have a larger intake but the 6s wouldnt benefit at all.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2008, 12:25 AM   #45
AC
Saving for a Jet Car

Here's a few, common knowledge ones that apparently dont work.
Feel free to correct me if im wrong.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/FORCE-FLOW-R1...3A1|240%3A1318

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/2x-Fuel-Saver...3A1|240%3A1318

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/AU-non-XR-Fal...3A1|240%3A1318
AC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2008, 02:09 AM   #46
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with sound technical advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has helped a number of AFF members with their cars, particularly with EEC tuning 

Unichips and so don't work properly because they weren't programmed correctly in the first place, the car should have full time to adaptive learn and then no part of the fuel signal should be changed that is still in the adaptive table cause it will only cause it to go out of tune, all you can change in fuel settings is full throttle only, and then when you change your full throttle mixture, because it is a load sensing device it will change the timing which then needs to be compensated for as well in the timing table.

Along the same lines, even a custom flash tune will go out if the eec didn't have enough time to adaptive learn the engine mod's in the first place, unless the tuner went thru and disable's parts of the adaptive table, at which you then have no self tuning ability to compensate for different conditions overtime, so still a lose lose situation, the only other way is go thru and full tune the base fuel table, which will take a fair amount of time as the fuel base table is load vs. coolant temp, so you really need to set all the fuel mixtures at different engine temps for part throttle and then tune for WOT, which is what i believe a lot of tuners are doing to some degree, values in the middle can after all be roughly calculated to be close enough, after all whats 0.1afr difference really gonna matter.
Old 07-08-2010, 03:12 AM   #47
Day-mow
rexnet

any of those Ebay chips for $20.
are a fail

Remember it is the internet,So beware of trolls, If you argue with trolls the kids will laugh at you

Follow me on twitter @ Day_mow
Day-mow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2010, 04:59 AM   #48
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
any of those Ebay chips for $20.
are a fail
Not really, the guy still sells them, so they can't be total fail.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2010, 07:09 AM   #49
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Not really, the guy still sells them, so they can't be total fail.
That's cos there's a new sucker born every minute.

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2010, 12:58 PM   #50
robbyj
Rob

I guess one would be the electric superchargers off ebay as mentioned before.

I personally would not buy one.. but you have to think. in theory it 'Should' add a gain.. however minimal. Do you's reckon it would add a gain even if it only tiny.. (Accompanied by an exhaust system etc)

There is the whole 'if a mod that cheap worked everyone would have it'
But everyone seems to buy the larger snorkel and filter...

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-Electric-...item2308ff0084

- Neon's don't add any speed. Tested.
- A booming sub woofer doesn't propel the car faster. Tested.
robbyj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2010, 03:14 PM   #51
sleeper393

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT600

THAT DID NOT WORK !!!!

Daniel
but it made you good yeah ,
123.4 GROUND TEARING RWKW'S , LOL
sleeper393 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2010, 03:21 PM   #52
sleeper393

Thumbs up

well i added led windscreen washer jets , and on a back to back dyno run , picked up an amazing S F A everybody else was getting them , but i didnt get the led valve stem ones , JUST TO FULLY SICK FOR ME YULLAY !!!
Old 07-08-2010, 06:55 PM   #53
robbyj
Rob

hmmm, i heard they were capable of +20 hp.. what colour where they?? =p
robbyj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2010, 08:44 PM   #54
sleeper393

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobuleh
hmmm, i heard they were capable of +20 hp.. what colour where they?? =p
blue of course , like everyone else , the more people that have them , means they work , thousands of people all cant be wrong , true .
Old 07-08-2010, 10:37 PM   #55
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

On the dyno with a punched out hollow cat ...173kws
Next day with a brand new metalcat same dia 176kws

Go figure.... removed the whole system off my car for the drags and went best MPH ever .. i give up with these bloody cars !!!

Oh and removing the thermostat DOES NOT work ... fans run all the time and the fuel trim is hella rich killing all economy + prematurely wearing out your engine...
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2011, 05:59 PM   #56
EVL-04D
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mighty Red
about 3 months after I bought my XR6 I went and got it dynoed it was completely stock and pulled 118rwkw ,the mechanic suggested an aftermarket panel filter would give me upto 4rwkw ,so he whacked one in $100 and gave it another run (freebie) and it pulled 116rwkw : ..lol.
To get an accurate reading for before and after mods on a dyno, everything has to be the same, or as close as possible. Air temp, humidity, etc.
ie. First Dyno run is usally with a cold engine, and thus will help boost the numbers - first dyno runs are always the better readings if your not shy to give it some hard stick.

If you can get a dyno that is in a room with controlled conditions by way of air conditioning, you're half way there!

Don't know if it's true or not, but I heard a story about a guy who use to spray CO2 on his inlet manifold before the Autosalon tests. Rumour has it that he was getting an extra 15rwkw from that alone!

1997 5.0 DL LTD Sedan
1998 4.0 AU S1 Forte Wagon

PREVIOUS FORDS

ZA/B/C/D Fairlaine Sedans
1979 2.0 MKII Escort Coupe
2000 4.0 AUII Forte Sedan
EVL-04D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2011, 10:40 PM   #57
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVL-04D
To get an accurate reading for before and after mods on a dyno, everything has to be the same, or as close as possible. Air temp, humidity, etc.
ie. First Dyno run is usally with a cold engine, and thus will help boost the numbers - first dyno runs are always the better readings if your not shy to give it some hard stick.

If you can get a dyno that is in a room with controlled conditions by way of air conditioning, you're half way there!

Don't know if it's true or not, but I heard a story about a guy who use to spray CO2 on his inlet manifold before the Autosalon tests. Rumour has it that he was getting an extra 15rwkw from that alone!
Auto salon?? that would be hair spray he was spraying!
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2011, 04:57 AM   #58
EATHSV
Oo---oO

I've heard the CO2 one before aparently it cools the intercooler heaps before a dyno run. Usually only benifical with a massive turbo kit.... the thery is there i guess...

I have Irridum plugs in my XR8 and it idles funny, what should they be replaced with?

Successful transactions with the following members:
Ride, Raised by Monkeys, TICK4D-TAS, Falcman007, 2002AU, JC.
EATHSV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2011, 09:04 AM   #59
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EATHSV
I have Irridum plugs in my XR8 and it idles funny, what should they be replaced with?
Non-Iridium plugs? Bosch FTW. They all work though.
Old 07-01-2011, 01:01 PM   #60
EATHSV
Oo---oO

cool cheers mate

Successful transactions with the following members:
Ride, Raised by Monkeys, TICK4D-TAS, Falcman007, 2002AU, JC.
EATHSV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post