Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-05-2008, 12:48 PM   #31
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnedout
I have some complaints with Prius, I'm a bit worried with a million of them and more with other hi-breds on the road.
My point was that I think the gesture is right, but the Prius is not the answer.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2008, 01:19 PM   #32
Need_a_V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
Any word on prices? Compare the price of a new Prius to that of a diesel Focus. You're looking at ~6k in favour of the Focus. I'd suspect the economy between the two also wouldn't be that far off. I know I'd be opting for the Focus.

If the GM offering is roughly the same as the price of a comparable diesel then it probably will sell well to those ignorant to the economy and performance of diesel. If it's more expensive, then a decent marketing campaign from any company that offers a small diesel could sink the car before it even hit our shores.
I had heard 20%, but some GM guy said this morning that it will be a 15% price rise. So 5k will cover the price difference on a commodore.

Holden has two options here... They could go PETROL hybrid as used in the Chevrolet Volt or DIESEL hybrid as used in the Opel and Saturn Flextreme.

The other hybrids are getting 65km just on electrical charge without using the internal combustion engine at all. On the highway, they are just ticking over 1,000km's in cars fitted with 45L tanks. The electric motor itself is 120kw, plus the output of the engine they back it up with (volt uses 1L turbo 3 cylinder, opel and saturn use a 1.3L diesel 4 cylinder).
Need_a_V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2008, 01:24 PM   #33
Need_a_V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnedout
I have some complaints with Prius, I'm a bit worried with a million of them and more with other hi-breds on the road.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadmium_oxide
&
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadmium_nitrate

May have more to worry about.
There are some massive increases in carcinogenic emissions (180% of some chemicals) using Ethanol based fuels, but you don't see that slowing down either.

Its quite funny how people are paranoid about global warming and carbon emissions, so instead we're pumping huge amounts of cancer causing chemicals into our atmosphere. Heres hoping we develop a cure for cancer too :p
Need_a_V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2008, 03:39 PM   #34
Jayden
Graphic Artist

'Holden drives Commodore into green market'

translation: GM works overtime developing chevy prius aka. volt so that it doesnt look like a backwards focused oil nazi corp that everyone assumes it is. In a news article even a Himalayan tribesman could have predicted holden will be impregnated with the technology and article writer runs with the tired old aussie holden is the schiznit theme.
Old 20-05-2008, 06:07 PM   #35
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Bob Lutz recons the Chevy Volt will be lucky if it breaks even, let alone makes any money, but they believe they have no choice but to compete with Toyota even though it makes no sense. How will Holden make money off a Hybrid Commodore, I reckon its economy would struggle to beat a turbo diesel Commy or Falcon.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2008, 06:08 PM   #36
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoreSlamR
I can see the Smug clouds coming already!!!

Thats gold
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post