Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 05-03-2008, 03:49 PM   #31
Sam_Boss260
Have Boost, will use it..

To those who are looking at buying and are a couple without kids, do your sums WITHOUT your partners wage.....because once you start having kids, you pretty much drop a wage and this is where people do it tough - when circumstances change.

Before we had kids we did as much as we could, renovations, bought the wife's car (family car) with cash etc. Then for the first 2 - 3 years with kids we struggled. I drove around in a $4k XF ute for a couple of years.

Now we are getting back on our feet. I'm earning a decent wage and the wife is trying to work part time. But you have to do your sums right. And don't over commit.

And yes, our wage to mortgage ratio is pretty high at around 40%. But my house is valued at around $900k, so it's all worth it.
Sam_Boss260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2008, 03:59 PM   #32
DanXR6T
Eat more peanuts....

I think there is a large difference between people who purchased homes 8-10 years ago, and those looking at buying now.

The increased equity from the rapidly increasing property market placed these people in a pretty good position. But now with rising interest rates, new buyers unless in a rapidly rising area, would have to be willing to potentially survive 10-15years without any real increase in equity.

Thats just my thoughts.

Daniel.

Formerly owned:
'99 AU Falcon Ute
'88 EA Falcon GL
DanXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2008, 04:02 PM   #33
Sam_Boss260
Have Boost, will use it..

Yeah, we bought our place 6 years ago. But even if you have equity, you still have to "service" your level of debt. ie actually be able to pay it off.

I know a friend who "snapped up" a bargain here in Brisbane inner city. She paid $2.1 mill and claims that it was so cheap. Place is worth nearly $3 mill now, but she can't afford the payments and is paying interest only..... what is the point of that?
Sam_Boss260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2008, 04:02 PM   #34
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

With my situation, I have worked it out based on just my wage alone as the mrs doesnt work. Should we have kids we would still survive.

Best to never over commit as been said, but live within your own means.

We currently live with her parents. Not the best for everybody, but if you can handle it, its a good cost saver. We have also bought a house and its now being rented out so all is not lost in that front either. Its a little investment we have that we can either sell or perhaps refinance when we decide to build another house of our own.

One thing we didnt do is go nuts and buy the latest of everything straight away. Something many young couple fall into the trap of doing to either compete with the Jones' or are impatient.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2008, 04:07 PM   #35
DanXR6T
Eat more peanuts....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam_XR6
Yeah, we bought our place 6 years ago. But even if you have equity, you still have to "service" your level of debt. ie actually be able to pay it off.

I know a friend who "snapped up" a bargain here in Brisbane inner city. She paid $2.1 mill and claims that it was so cheap. Place is worth nearly $3 mill now, but she can't afford the payments and is paying interest only..... what is the point of that?
Understood about having to service the loan, wasn't directing my comments at you personally, just in general.

My partner and I can service a loan as a couple for a theoretical average house in this town, but as I stated earlier if she lost her income then our house becomes 60%+ of my income, which is unaffordable really.

Formerly owned:
'99 AU Falcon Ute
'88 EA Falcon GL
Old 05-03-2008, 04:07 PM   #36
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

feelin the strain too, about to sell the house, dads been outta work for about 8-12mths now(high lvl jobs for an over qualified 55+ are hard to come by) and we just cant afford, nor do we need the house anymore.. interest on it is somthing like 22k per year, which means he needs to earn 44k to pay for it as its 48c/$1 tax on him.. damn annoying huh
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2008, 04:10 PM   #37
DanXR6T
Eat more peanuts....

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
We currently live with her parents. Not the best for everybody, but if you can handle it, its a good cost saver. We have also bought a house and its now being rented out so all is not lost in that front either. Its a little investment we have that we can either sell or perhaps refinance when we decide to build another house of our own.
This situation seems to be quite common for younger couples - but yes, not everyone can live in this way. We could, but would mean we both quit our jobs and relocate - which isn't out of the question, but not ideal.

Good luck with it though!

Formerly owned:
'99 AU Falcon Ute
'88 EA Falcon GL
Old 05-03-2008, 04:16 PM   #38
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanXR6T
This situation seems to be quite common for younger couples - but yes, not everyone can live in this way. We could, but would mean we both quit our jobs and relocate - which isn't out of the question, but not ideal.

Good luck with it though!
Thanks mate, we've been doing this for 7 years now and we are reasonably comfortable.
We have our own seperate living area with own lounge, bedroom and ensuite with seperate entry so I dont have to see the outlaws if I dont want. Meals get cooked daily also.

Im just glad we get along when we can otherwise it would never have worked.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2008, 04:31 PM   #39
XYGTHO
FORD FREAK

Some interesting stories. If i base it on my before tax wage i'm at 42% which isn't to bad really. I'm putting away about $100 a week still in savings. I put another $250 per fortnight away for bills and i live on $250 per fortnight (fuel, food, beer, usually small things for the house etc). So really i'm not doing to bad.
Hopefully most of you have interest rates locked. Would be worse for the guys with variable rates.
Old 05-03-2008, 04:37 PM   #40
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by XYGTHO
Some interesting stories. If i base it on my before tax wage i'm at 42% which isn't to bad really. I'm putting away about $100 a week still in savings. I put another $250 per fortnight away for bills and i live on $250 per fortnight (fuel, food, beer, usually small things for the house etc). So really i'm not doing to bad.
Hopefully most of you have interest rates locked. Would be worse for the guys with variable rates.
Yeah definitely did get my mortgage fixed for first 5 years. Was a mandatory requirement when we signed up.

My mate works at Westpac and he is involved with high income lending all the time. He tells me the most common request for loans over the past 2 years has been a fixed term. It rare as anything for him to come across someone with an alternative loan requirement.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont