Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-06-2007, 02:47 PM   #31
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Trouble is the margins in the smaller size cars are not as good, staying in large cars is the right way to go. I agree volume has to improve though otherwise there wont be the revenue to continue development
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2007, 03:01 PM   #32
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
If Toyota went, I wouldn't care.
You'd be surprised the effects on the automotive industry in Oz if Toyota wend under.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Freak
Ford US is almost bankrupt. Ford Australia must remain profitable to be able to finance their future projects. The septics in the parent company only give them grief.
Yet FoA require permission from the US to go ahead on their projects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyagi
Does everyone else seem to think like me that with the Mondeo coming in that the Orion will be the last of the large sedans from Ford AU (unless we start exporting the platform)?

It's about time Ford and Holden re-tooled their product lines and started delivering AU built small and midsized cars that are RELEVANT to the Aussie market.

They still have the brand loyalty of us but with so many other options providing more relevant application of our hard earned dollars it's hard for everyone not to test the market.
There isn't enough sales in oz to do that, as stated above the profit on small cars isn't as good as Large cars. Ford need to make the Falcon a world platform car like the VE has become.
Also I would be looking at other brands to buy a large RWD car if Ford stopped making the Falcon.
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2007, 03:29 PM   #33
xy351
XC 351 GXL toploader 9"

i think that v8 supercars would push both ford and holdens performance range sales... if ford was to pull out of the v8 supercars i think that there could be very negative effects on sales of FPV's...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleekism
Did Ford Australia finance the orion program itself?

It would also be interesting to see the different profits for different vehicles eg.xr6, territory, GT

Does Ford turn a profit for their V8 program or is it a case of loss leader?

Apparently FPV is on a shoestring budget and are having trouble funding programs maybe Ford should pull out of supercars and pour money into FPV.

No offence but V8 supercars are pretty boring I actually saw some old footage of Dick Johnson at Bathurst in the Green Tuffs Falcon and it absolutely blew me away how good it was to watch.

I think the V8 supercars is a waste of money, I think the Austrlian Saloon Car Racing is better to watch, more relevant and a hell of a lot cheaper.

How much is wasted in developing the 5 Litres for Supercars that could be used in developing the Barra and the Boss.

Gives me an idea for a new thread.
Old 17-06-2007, 04:41 PM   #34
Falcon Freak
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Yet FoA require permission from the US to go ahead on their projects.
The septics should get their own local business under control before dictating to Ford Australia how things should be done down under.

FF
Falcon Freak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2007, 05:35 PM   #35
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
The septics should get their own local business under control before dictating to Ford Australia how things should be done down under.

FF

Well the new CEO seems to be getting Ford back on track. I'm sure he will be able to use FoA and the Falcon for a world platform.
Old 17-06-2007, 05:44 PM   #36
05MkIIFutura
SV6000. Yum

Just proves what I have been saying forever, who gives a rats **** about sales figures. All Ford care about as a business is making $$$. Ford has always had more margin in the Falcon than Holden has in the Commodore, and have never had to sell as many.

With the introduction of the AU, Ford stopped massive discounts to fleets, and the VT took its massive stranglehold on the market. What the public doesnt realise is that yes, Holden was selling 3 VT's for every AU, but Holden were selling to fleets at very close to cost. Meanwhile in private sales, Ford was easily matching Holden, and making more money doing so.

Make a dollar by producing 1 car or 3?? A smarts man move is to make 1.
05MkIIFutura is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2007, 06:06 PM   #37
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05MkIIFutura
Just proves what I have been saying forever, who gives a rats **** about sales figures. All Ford care about as a business is making $$$. Ford has always had more margin in the Falcon than Holden has in the Commodore, and have never had to sell as many.

With the introduction of the AU, Ford stopped massive discounts to fleets, and the VT took its massive stranglehold on the market. What the public doesnt realise is that yes, Holden was selling 3 VT's for every AU, but Holden were selling to fleets at very close to cost. Meanwhile in private sales, Ford was easily matching Holden, and making more money doing so.

Make a dollar by producing 1 car or 3?? A smarts man move is to make 1.
Good point. Ford are selling for profit, not just for volume. Typical Holden though, man they've got an ego. They would sell their souls just to say they are number 1.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2007, 01:44 AM   #38
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
You'd be surprised the effects on the automotive industry in Oz if Toyota went under.
I was waiting for that.

Yep, but is that through the Camry/Aurion, or just Toyota's involvement with the industry on an administerial/business level?
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2007, 02:52 AM   #39
sexr6tasy
Banned

Would if be fair to say whichever big rwd car dies first either ford or holden people will then start buying the other car makers cars and there by increasing there sales?
sexr6tasy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2007, 03:43 AM   #40
exrtnz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexr6tasy
Would if be fair to say whichever big rwd car dies first either ford or holden people will then start buying the other car makers cars and there by increasing there sales?
Do you really think ford fans, would buy holdens if there were no fords around or holden fans buy fords if holden went bust?
I dont think they would,
I for one would rather buy a euro or subaru wrx .
Old 18-06-2007, 04:20 AM   #41
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexr6tasy
Ford and Holden are the most direct competition to each other. By Holden being clearly ahead at the moment, Ford MUST produce a superior product. If they do it, Holden must respond and release an even better product. The winner is the consumer. Potentially, with one of the manufacturers gone, quality control may go down.

The Falcon and the Commodore lead a somewhat symbiotic relationship.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2007, 12:21 PM   #42
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Typical Holden though, man they've got an ego. They would sell their souls just to say they are number 1.
I've never seen it put so eloquently.
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2007, 12:50 PM   #43
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The septics should get their own local business under control before dictating to Ford Australia how things should be done down under.FF
You would happily let a subsidiary company blow $600 million +?
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2007, 01:33 PM   #44
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

I think Ford Australia has done a good enough job to be able to be left alone they sell 50,000 cars in a country of 20 million people. That's like an american Ford selling 750,000 a year a feat which hasnt been done since the original Mustang.

I think Ford and Holden aren't in a symbiotic relationship it's more of a fight to the death I mean how long have we been without the Valiant (I wish Holden had went under not Chrysler).

In America the Mustang has survived very well without the Challenger and the Camaro I think the situation is more of a competition between Ford and Holden of who can hold their breath the longest.
sleekism is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2007, 03:19 PM   #45
05MkIIFutura
SV6000. Yum

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleekism
I think Ford Australia has done a good enough job to be able to be left alone they sell 50,000 cars in a country of 20 million people. That's like an american Ford selling 750,000 a year a feat which hasnt been done since the original Mustang.

I think Ford and Holden aren't in a symbiotic relationship it's more of a fight to the death I mean how long have we been without the Valiant (I wish Holden had went under not Chrysler).

In America the Mustang has survived very well without the Challenger and the Camaro I think the situation is more of a competition between Ford and Holden of who can hold their breath the longest.
Without one, the other dies. The reason they are now world-class rwd platforms is because of the continual development race between the two.

If one falls over the other will become very laid back and we would all be driving BA's in 15 year life-cycles before the next was developed.
05MkIIFutura is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2007, 10:43 PM   #46
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Works for the Crown Victoria it is selling well and is based on a platform from 1978 lol
sleekism is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2007, 12:47 AM   #47
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
I was waiting for that.

Yep, but is that through the Camry/Aurion, or just Toyota's involvement with the industry on an administerial/business level?
They actually have more Australian content then Holdens. They're up there with Ford. They also export a lot more cars then Ford do, so that's good for the component manufacturers and good for the country. We import enough items into Australia.
Old 19-06-2007, 07:44 PM   #48
Lagom

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05MkIIFutura
You really believe Ford was maching Holden in private sales, given how the AU looked?

The resale of the AU relative to VT, even considering the extra supply of VT, says something about AU's appeal.
Lagom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2007, 08:19 PM   #49
Bossxr8
Peter Car

If Holden discount so massively how come their resale values are better than Fords.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2007, 08:32 PM   #50
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
If Holden discount so massively how come their resale values are better than Fords.
I don't think they do.

Holden have more private buyers for Commodore than Ford do with Falcon. However both are way behind the top selling private seeling cars which I think are Corolla and Mazda 3.

Territory & Focus are Ford biggest private sellers ATM from what I hear.

Holden's brand image also appears to be better than Ford's. If that's true hopefully it'll change with all the great product Ford is coming out with in the next 12 months. The Turbo in the Falc will hopefully change things too as more and more of those get on the used car market.
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post