Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 24-02-2011, 05:00 PM   #31
chrisfpv
Browsing here and there..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
You are driving too slow for the road, most roads have a natural speed, if your sticking to a low speed limit you are probably below the natural traffic speed for that road. Either speed up or deal with it.

Only certain drivers 'constantly' have issues with tailgating. Never a problem for me or anyone I know.
Agree. If you're constantly getting tailgated then you're slow in more ways than one.
Old 24-02-2011, 05:04 PM   #32
chrisfpv
Browsing here and there..

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinijosh
I've noticed that while having my tow ball back on (moving furniture) that I get tailgated less.

But once the trailer is hooked up I get tailgated more than with and without a tow ball.

Interesting. I always give trailers more distance in case something falls off/flies out of it.
The one reason why I won't take mine off. If someone was to run up my backside for any reason I want there car to get absolutely hammered (assuming i'm not at fault), which a tow bar/ball would likely do.

Case in point, I had someone roll into me at a set of traffic lights once. Obviously he wasn't paying attention because he didn't hit me hard, but it was a decent bump. Little bit of a rash on my tow bar compared to a really bad fiberglass front bumper for him.
Old 24-02-2011, 05:06 PM   #33
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well if you sit in the right lane, then you deserve all the stress they cause you.

Nothing worse than right lane huggers and that's the first law to be broken, if it was obeyed, tailgating wouldn't happen nearly as much.

Last edited by ILLaViTaR; 24-02-2011 at 05:16 PM.
Old 24-02-2011, 05:48 PM   #34
Zero_PSI
Banned

I said i was in the left wtf?
Old 24-02-2011, 05:51 PM   #35
martinijosh
▇ ▅ █ ▅ ▇ ▂ ▃ ▁ ▅ ▃ ▅ ▅

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent guide for headlamp repair. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR
The one reason why I won't take mine off. If someone was to run up my backside for any reason I want there car to get absolutely hammered (assuming i'm not at fault), which a tow bar/ball would likely do.

Case in point, I had someone roll into me at a set of traffic lights once. Obviously he wasn't paying attention because he didn't hit me hard, but it was a decent bump. Little bit of a rash on my tow bar compared to a really bad fiberglass front bumper for him.
Having the tow ball on saved me at a stop sign, pom in an AU wagon ran up my **** because she "thought I would run it"
Headlights don't work in your B Series? Here's how to fix it!
Old 24-02-2011, 05:57 PM   #36
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
punch him in the head...
At least it's straight to the point, no mucking about.
Old 24-02-2011, 05:57 PM   #37
stev3n

if im in the right lane i move over. if its a single lane road i'll slow down 5km/h then wash my dirty windscreen, which goes straight onto their screen, works wonders
Old 24-02-2011, 06:01 PM   #38
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero_PSI
I said i was in the left wtf?
I was speaking more in general, but I can't see any mention of a left lane in your post?

Some ****** was tailgating me aggressively in the left lane (ridiculously close) and I tapped the brake pedal numerous times to tell him to back off, he didn't I was doing 20 over at this point so I slammed the brakes on basically knowing he would hit me, and made him pay for a new rear bar.
Worked out pretty good for me in the end, it needed a new rear bar anyway!
Now this idiot won't be tailgating so confidently anymore.
Old 24-02-2011, 06:05 PM   #39
Kryton

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLaViTaR
I was speaking more in general, but I can't see any mention of a left lane in your post?

Some ****** was tailgating me aggressively in the left lane (ridiculously close) and I tapped the brake pedal numerous times to tell him to back off, he didn't I was doing 20 over at this point so I slammed the brakes on basically knowing he would hit me, and made him pay for a new rear bar.
Worked out pretty good for me in the end, it needed a new rear bar anyway!
Now this idiot won't be tailgating so confidently anymore.
And your no better than any other idiot behind the wheel that has no idea.
Lucky you didnt get your head punched in.
Old 24-02-2011, 06:27 PM   #40
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

if you want them to stop pull your window washers.
sends a nice mist onto his windscreen that will ****s him of.

i also notice that it never happens in my work ute but happens constantly when im in my girlfriends yaris (yeh its the big bad 1.3l three door)
Old 24-02-2011, 07:08 PM   #41
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain awesome

i also notice that it never happens in my work ute but happens constantly when im in my girlfriends yaris (yeh its the big bad 1.3l three door)
I have to remember the window washer for next time.

When I drive my Girlfriends Echo I also get tailgated more.
Old 24-02-2011, 07:21 PM   #42
Zero_PSI
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero_PSI
Left lane. And I believe it's illegal to exceed the speed limit. It sounds pretty arrogant that you're defending a illegal and dangerous act because I refuse to cop a $300+ fine so some inconsiderate douche bag wants to sit up my ***.

I was in the left lane, there was a car in the right so wouldn't have been enough room to get around....I don't see how tailgaiting can be justified in anyway shape or form.
Said it twice
Old 24-02-2011, 07:25 PM   #43
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain awesome

You can also angle the jets up so the stream of water goes over your car and straight onto the car behind. I had it done to me. Not tailgating, but after picking up a mate, his wife jumps in front on the trip out and pulls on the washer. Works well
Old 24-02-2011, 07:33 PM   #44
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Noise
There could be any number of reasons why someone is in a hurry. The best thing to do is just let them go.

It’s your responsibility to obey the law, not enforce it.

If you want to enforce the law, join the bloody police force.
agree - it is easier said than done, but when driving you need to look where you are going, not where you have been. for sure you need to be aware of what is coming up behind you and a tail gater can make you nervous, but the only thing you can control is where your vehicle is going - not them

i do tail gate (no doubt too much) - more often than not that is to be ready to overtake or because someone is hogging a lane being a rent-a-cop. in reality there is no excuse for it, but in saying that, if being tail gated you can't control what they do. just drive normally and even slow slightly (do not brake test), so you have a better chance of avoiding anything unexpected. i personally would rather some one tail gate me than put up with the other incompetance we see on the roads. at least i know where the tail gaters are, wheras i have no idea what is going through the minds of the people in front of me
Old 24-02-2011, 07:55 PM   #45
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

I prefer to call it "slipstreaming". Helps me save big dollars on fuel. Obviously I'm not the only one smart enough to use this wonderful tactic!
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Old 24-02-2011, 08:29 PM   #46
jlef5

I'l tailgate if someone goes like hell to get in front of me to then brake or do 20km/h under the limit. If I'm in my ute and been tailgated while in the left lane or doing the speed limit I'l usually chuck it back a gear or two depending on speed and let compression slow me right down without brakes lights.
I find women drivers in carparks are bad for sitting too close to the car in front even at slow speeds. I also find that people see a 4x4 behind them and instantly think its sitting right up there **** the amount of times I've had people brake checking me when I'm right back is stupid.
Old 24-02-2011, 08:34 PM   #47
jlef5

When going on trips with my gf, il be in the eh or my ute and the gf in her astra, often see people will sit up her **** for ages and not over take. When the do they'll either sit right back from me or go right around. She's a P plater i'm opens
Old 24-02-2011, 08:41 PM   #48
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
I prefer to call it "slipstreaming". Helps me save big dollars on fuel. Obviously I'm not the only one smart enough to use this wonderful tactic!
Seemed to work ok for the NASCAR gang last week

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Old 24-02-2011, 09:22 PM   #49
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlef5
I'l tailgate if someone goes like hell to get in front of me to then brake or do 20km/h under the limit. I
I agree.

One night driving to work at about 10pm I was just cruising at the speed limit, There was a red P plater in a Commodore ahead of me going slower so I pass him.
He is behind me for a while but almost as soon as there is no other traffic around he suddenly overtakes me on the right, then changes into my lane and slows down to about 55-60 in a 70 zone. I indicate and get into the right lane to pass him and he swerves across in front of me. I change back into left lane he swerves back into left lane. I drive in middle of both lanes, he does the same.
I wasn't in the mood to **** around with tools so I put on my high beam got close to him and just held the horn on. Probably had his licence for 3 days and wanted to show off to his mates.
Old 24-02-2011, 10:03 PM   #50
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
You can also angle the jets up so the stream of water goes over your car and straight onto the car behind. I had it done to me. Not tailgating, but after picking up a mate, his wife jumps in front on the trip out and pulls on the washer. Works well
Classic...........can you adjust the washer jets on a B Series........I have my tools ready..........

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Closed Thread