Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-01-2009, 07:48 PM   #31
C.Moz
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad cow
the gold medal would have to go to the au falcon... so much value for so little dollars. great to drive to boot.

silver medal to the 2 series volvo,

gold to the magna, for the same reasons as the au
Two gold medals :
C.Moz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2009, 07:52 PM   #32
bigdude1011

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad cow
the gold medal would have to go to the au falcon... so much value for so little dollars. great to drive to boot.
I would have to agree with you. The XR's, Pursuits and T3's especially.
bigdude1011 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2009, 08:04 PM   #33
TURBOTAXI
Turbo Falcon Fiend

5 Years ago when I moved out here I was riding my CB1000 Big one Honda from Sydney to Dubbo each week. (Up Monday back friday) It was getting cold so I went on the scrounge for a cheap car as a stop gap. I found a volvo 264 with the PRV V6 2.7 engine. It had 5 months rego, and a bit of rust but it was solid enough. I paid $450 for it. I drove 8000k's over the next two months, then sold it on Ebay for $780. I punished the the poor thing, but it did not miss a beat. It was also reasonably quick through bells line of road or similar, and had the guts for overtaking etc

My family had a 244 and a 740 when I was younger, cant really fault them.

Too many turbo toys......
2009 FG F6 Nitro LPI LPG 290rwkw on LPG.
2005 BAMKII XR6 Turbo with LPG (ex HWP 255,000k's and counting)
Honda 2001 CR500E Road registered CR500
Honda 1985 CR500 (the one with the arm ripping power)
DT200r regoed Hack
Yamaha IT/YZ 465 Vinduro rocket
Imported IT465 and 490 back up bikes
VF1000R mid 80's racer built by HMR
Honda CR480 Air cooled project road cafe racer.
T88 Turbo XT Falcon project with 351 Cleveland (mothballed)
Plus the rest.

TURBOTAXI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2009, 08:30 PM   #34
SVD

those volvo 850R turbos spring to my mind they are awesome and scarily quick for a volvo! otherwise the Nissan pulsars have always been good but i remember one story of an older model (1979/80ish) they were trying to blow the motor up before they threw it out and they couldnt do it, drained the oil ran sand in it and it still ran fine! how true that is i doubt however...
SVD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2009, 10:43 PM   #35
ehast13
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just about any old toyota's were pretty good.

My old man had a 1974 crown that went forever. SLOW off the mark but it was hard to keep up with him on the highway. He used to sit it on 80 - 85 mph all the way from brisbane to townsville and back.

Old corolla's were tops to drive and as tough as hell,

Cressida's could be flogged all day and were comfortable and smooth and had cold a/con.

SAAB 9000 turbo was a great car to drive but everything electric seemed to go. Rack and pinion needed to be replaced every 3 years, brakes faded after one hard stop, interior fell to bits.

The EA falcon was more reliable!

Old Datsuns get mad fun of by comedians and idiot schoolgirls but a 1600 is still a quick rally car. Even the 120y was as fun as hell to drive. Ugly as sin tho.............
ehast13 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2009, 10:44 PM   #36
ehast13
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Don't wanna mess with the darkside but...

I didn't mind the holden gemini
Old 04-01-2009, 11:04 PM   #37
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehast13
I've seen a few threads around forums talking about the most overrated car. I haven't seen one talking about underrated ones. These cars can be good but often bagged out by the uninformed. Or they may be good cars that just fly under the radar.

I reckon the 2 series (1974 - 1993) VOLVO was a great car. Reliable, great brakes, reasonable handling, plenty of go from the stock 4cyl.

I've owned 5 over the years. My first was a 242gt. It ran 16.5 second quarter miles all day (1979). It was faster than any of the six cylinder falcons and commodores of the day. Quicker than a 323i beemer.

The only commodores to beat it over the quarter (until vl turbo) were the HDT cars. even vk efi manuals only matched it.

Had a stocko 1981 2.3 auto 4door. It ran mid 17's all day. In the late seventies, early eighties vb/vc auto commodores couldn't get within a coo ee
of it

The brakes were great. 4 piston calipers up front, twins up back. Way bigger than a commodore, more room inside than just about anything other than s class mercs and falcons. 30mpg on the highway in a manual. predictable handling that left the xa - xf falcons behind and wasn't shamed by commodore.

They did real well in production car racing and in 1979 a stocko one was entered at bathurst. it even ran road tyres(Uniroyal wildcats). it lapped in 2:57 and topped out 214kph down conrod. That was good pace for a stocko four cylinder - xt gt/327 monaro pace!
Many remember the 'bloody volvo' in that race, but it finished and (although it didn't have time to complete 1000kms) it completed over 500miles quicker than 1967,68,69 races. On time, it would have been just off the podium in the 1970 race - and by that stage those cars were using race tyres.

In production car racing, they left behind many v8 commodores, 280zx's and even v8 falcons. They usually beat the bmws and it was only the rx7s that consistenly beat them. I always had my ford but I have a certain respect for the 2 series volvo. I'd love to have one again.

For my wife/daughter I'd be happy to see them in one again. I never had a trouble with any of them. I once left one go 30,000k between oil changes.

My father had one too. It did 650,000 k and never had the head off!

To throw a spanner in the works, I had an ea s pac. It was a five speed 1988 model. I had a great run with it too.

I know that not everyone will have positive stories about volvos or ea falcons but, I'd love to know what cars are actually better than their reputation.

without a doubt the most under rated car would have to be " THE VALIANT"
they were way ahead of thier time . they were faster than fords and holdens ( stock for stock) and you still see them on the road around beach areas with surf boards and p plates on them today.
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2009, 12:10 AM   #38
ehast13
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valiant?

I guess it's funny how many bag them out. In the 1990's it was embarassing to be seen in one. Thank goodness the revival in muscle cars has reinvigorated the interest in big engined aussie cars.

May I ask a serious (not sarcastic) question? In what ways were valiants ahead of their time?

Last edited by ehast13; 05-01-2009 at 12:12 AM. Reason: added question
Old 05-01-2009, 12:37 AM   #39
Zed7fiddy
Temporary Australian

Must say, both my lancer ( 92 cb) and navara ( 95? maybeish) lasted the ks without major work needed, the navara lasted until i traded it in 04 for my BA on the original clutch, tha lancer is still kicking ont he orginal clutch, and both wnet forever without regular servicing.

Car makers these days dotn make vehicles to last, they want to make money on servicing and resupply!
Zed7fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2009, 03:35 AM   #40
Sprint XR8

Quote:
Valiant?

I guess it's funny how many bag them out. In the 1990's it was embarassing to be seen in one. Thank goodness the revival in muscle cars has reinvigorated the interest in big engined aussie cars.

May I ask a serious (not sarcastic) question? In what ways were valiants ahead of their time?
In 1962 the Valliant landed with a 145bhp 225 cubic inch slant six 100mph top speed, at the time the EK Holden 138ci grey motor had 75bhp, XK Falcon 144ci had 90bhp. In modern terms it would be like Chrysler localy producing the 300c, releasing it with a 300kw motor and pricing it against a base falcon/commodore. The Valiant was Australia's first performance family car, also the first to offer a V8 option in 1965.
Sprint XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2009, 08:01 AM   #41
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupex
In 1962 the Valliant landed with a 145bhp 225 cubic inch slant six 100mph top speed, at the time the EK Holden 138ci grey motor had 75bhp, XK Falcon 144ci had 90bhp. In modern terms it would be like Chrysler localy producing the 300c, releasing it with a 300kw motor and pricing it against a base falcon/commodore. The Valiant was Australia's first performance family car, also the first to offer a V8 option in 1965.
Don't forget the pushbutton auto!
cheers
Bill.
Old 05-01-2009, 09:36 AM   #42
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M
Don't forget the pushbutton auto!
cheers
Bill.
and the multi direction wheel nuts
Old 05-01-2009, 10:16 AM   #43
bathurst77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would prob go for those mid 80s Cressidas and Toyota Crowns in general.
Brothel style luxury and comfort (umm. so i have read, not that I would know of course. ahem) Reliable etc.

Over rated car? Celicas. Except the odd special edition one here n there, they were basically corollas witha hairdressers body shell.
bathurst77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2009, 11:55 AM   #44
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mid 80's Laser's and 323's, remember that generally, the people that own these cars never change the oil, filters, etc and they still keep going.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2009, 01:27 PM   #45
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Nissan Pulsars. Around the 93 shape.

God they can take some punishment! 5000rpm, dump the clutch and snatch change. Comes back for more!

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2009, 01:43 PM   #46
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

Quote:
I reckon the 2 series (1974 - 1993) VOLVO was a great car. Reliable, great brakes, reasonable handling, plenty of go from the stock 4cyl.........
I'll never forget this car because when I was a kid, a friend of my father's took us out for lunch one day. My brother and I got into the back seat and I was only half way in when he decided to start pulling out from his parked position! I almost fell out onto the road and managed to hold on and get in and close the door. Lucky he didn't do a U-turn! But ever since, I am always reminded of it when I see one of these cars.

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2009, 01:44 PM   #47
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Probably a few cars over the years. The 380 sticks out in my mind, stilll a better all round package than the Aurion.
Old 05-01-2009, 01:45 PM   #48
Quicksand
Lucky, lucky bastard!

Nissan Bluebird SSS 1994-1997

They came out on the back of severe failure from Nissan with the previous "different" models of the Pintara, Skyline and Bluebird (well i couldn't see a difference between the three and neither could the public) which resulted in factories closing down and very poor sales.

They were sold for less than it cost to build but the looks is what let it down. People felt it looked too "droopy". Magazines at the time said it was the most underrated car of its class.

With digital climate control, digital heads up display (HUD), 4 wheel steering (HICAS), premium sound and a very zippy 2.4L 4cyl engine that put many a Holden/Ford in its place it was a great value for money car.

There was very little advertising due to budget constraints and the looks let down what was a very good car.
Old 05-01-2009, 02:26 PM   #49
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quite a good review of the TJ Magna VRX by autospeed here:

http://autospeed.com/cms/A_109590/article.html

Remember this review was written back in 2000, as such some of the author's claims of performance against the likes of Holden and Ford may actually be factual. Also proves a 0-100 of 7.04 sec, which wasn't bad in the day.

I still think the TJ shape with VR-X grill still plays a part. This one here was the series one with the uglier 16 inch wheels. 17 inch wheels found their way onto the car from 2002.

The TJ series ended in May 2003 as the more polarizing TL series came online from June 2003.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2009, 03:07 PM   #50
BrisVegas
Noobie

90's Nissan Maxima 3.0 litre V6. Bullet proof, comfortable and quick.

I picked up a 91 model used in 99 with 110,000 MILES on it (was living in the states) for $4k. My wife and I drove the hell out of it on the interstate highways from Key West to Canada and as far West as New Orleans. Terrific car that never missed a beat. Only money we spend on it were oil changes every 6,000 miles and a power window motor. We put 70,000 miles on it in just over 2 years and sold it for $3,500.

I still recall driving it from Charlotte NC to Washington DC airport with 5 adults on board and the boot loaded up with bags and pegging along at 80+ mph. the car returned better than 30mph that trip!
LS Focus Zetec 5dr - gone
WS Fiesta Zetec 5dr - gone
BrisVegas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2009, 03:12 PM   #51
seduced_xr
BF XR6

i rekon the AU should have a mention. every commo driver i know bags the crap out of them because of their hideous looks. yet my mates just sold his at 980 000km after a gearbox rebuild. he decided to get rid of it b4 anything else goes
BA Falcon XR6 [JS92WA]in Winter White, 6 Speed ZF - BF Tail Lights, Pacemaker Twin 2.5" catback DBA Gold Series Rotors, 5% tint >>ITS BACK - The REBUILD IS ON, BF 2 Ghia 3v V8 5.4L, Full Fairmont Ghia Interior with FPV GTP seats,Boss Bonnet,BF Front End, DJR 302 Rear Wing, BF steering Column with BF ignition and FG keys, <<

2010 FG Falcon XR6 [XRLNT] in Lightning Strike, 6 Speed Auto - 15% Tint, Ipod, Bluetooth, Climate Control, custom plates, DJR 302 Wing
seduced_xr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2009, 04:09 PM   #52
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

Probably 3rd gen Magna especially the AWD and 3.5l VRX's. Reliable, Smooth, Quiet, Stylish & dirt cheap, even when new.

Few other include the Subaru Liberty it is recognised but not as much as it should be, the new Citreon's they are brilliant. For older cars probably the Lexus LS400 & 4AGE powered AE92 Corolla's.

As for the FG is still early days but it finally appears to be getting the awards that it rightfuly deserves.

Definately not the Valiant, sure the Valiant was grunty and had solid mechanicals, but the bodies were extremely poorly built, handling poor & refinement non existant. Read any contempary road test and they are bested by Kingswood, Falcon 500, Crown, P76 Executive, they only beat the Datsun 240K. Our family had 3, but my folks bought them because they were cheap. The doors used to drop, trim fell of them and they generally fell apart.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2009, 05:47 PM   #53
leadfoot

I'll put a vote in for the XH falcon ute.Had an Outback version a few years back & it still one of the favourites of cars I have owned.Tough reliable,decent performance & economy a much better car than the Commodore ute of the day - which is my vote for the most overated if that thread ever gets started
Old 05-01-2009, 06:06 PM   #54
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

go the TJ magna. a mate has one, 2000 model, picked it up for 5000 with 190,000 on clock, manual. and thats the biggest kicker, the manual mated with only a lightened flywheel and pushbutton clutch has enabled the car to be a V8 eater. days after owning it he claimed it would beat a GenIII. i scoffed. so we went hunting and sure enough, smoked it. comfortable to drive, never misses a beat, nice interior and doesnt get picked on by the cops, as its a basic blue magna. what more could you want in an underrated car??
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2009, 06:57 PM   #55
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I remember getting a spin in a Maseratti BiTurbo V6 in 1995 or something. I had never felt such a rush of acceleration at that point, and on the outside, it was styled similar to an early 90s BMW 3 series, didn't really stand out all that much.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2009, 06:57 PM   #56
yakcam
I drank what?

Can I throw in a muscle car here?

The Trans Am, people seem to avoid these. I was saving for a 'stang (being a Ford lad) and I was buying Unique Cars religiously for years, keeping an eye on the market. I noticed this '75 Trans Am had been in for months, so I thought I'd be cheeky and give him a cash offer of about half of what he was asking (1/4 of what a Mustang would've cost). He said no at first, but I let him sweat it over a long weekend gave him a call, he agreed to it plus a roadworthy.

It's not a revver, but the torque in the 400 is INSANE!!! it runs a 2:56 diff, I chug off at the lights with just a burble and still leave the traffic behind. If I stomp on it she'll turn the 275/60/15 tyres. Handling is sharp, sharp enough to make my mate who's a Jap car fan sit up and take notice. She's got fast glass and the most comfy inner sprung seats I have ever sat in, I always get a comment about those when I have a passenger.

There is a down side though, brakes suck. They're not bad in the dry, but the rears lock up in the wet under heavy braking, it's like pulling the hand brake on, but if you're careful and are aware of that the only other thing you have to worry about is wheel spin, it's just so easy to do in the wet.

I love my T/A and can't wait to get her back on the road again.

Cheers,

Kraig
Old 05-01-2009, 07:03 PM   #57
ieatsports_cars
proud member of the MFCC

urrm a lada niva a great off roader and goes so many places where land cruisers go
ieatsports_cars is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2009, 07:42 PM   #58
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLWXR6
go the TJ magna. a mate has one, 2000 model, picked it up for 5000 with 190,000 on clock, manual. and thats the biggest kicker, the manual mated with only a lightened flywheel and pushbutton clutch has enabled the car to be a V8 eater. days after owning it he claimed it would beat a GenIII. i scoffed. so we went hunting and sure enough, smoked it. comfortable to drive, never misses a beat, nice interior and doesnt get picked on by the cops, as its a basic blue magna. what more could you want in an underrated car??
The bloke driving the gen3 must of been rubbish. The 3rd gen magnas with a manual box are quick but not that quick.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2009, 08:17 PM   #59
ehast13
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had a lada niva. Had a great run with it.

the te - tl magnas are good cars but are they any faster than a manual au? or ea for that matter?

My ea s pac ran a best of 15.36 down the quarter. That was a stocko mpfi 3.9 five speed. My friend has a tj sports auto and it pulls a 15.85. Another friend has a base model manual but it does 15.1/15.2 consistently.

Quick cars but are they any quicker a corresponding falcon?

Just a question, not doubting refinement, brakes etc
Old 05-01-2009, 10:20 PM   #60
stevepet

Datsun 120y!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
stevepet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post