Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 16-07-2009, 10:55 PM   #31
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd
You did read the part where he was talking about the 3 valve 230kw motor didn't you? I hope you did, because a calais V was able to trounce the pants of a fairmont ghia with a 230kw V8. Now that ford has ostensibly replaced that engine with a more powerful and much more useable torque turbo 6, Ford is trouncing the calais.
No, I stand by what I said, a 290kw XR8 motor in a G6 would be a good thing; a 230kw motor bad.
Initially I was having a dig at the op for his usual rant about any of Ford's decisions. They've decided to give the turbo 6 a go in place of the V8, for the luxury models. I could be wrong but In my view a 290kW G8E wouldn't have been as successful as some would think. I mentioned the 230 because when it was around, it didn't do much. As Brent points out, it didn't have the numbers. You know well how good the bottom end was.

My theory on this is the Boss motors, although smooth and efficient, can be perceived as too peaky for what is a luxury car? I could be mistaken but in their wisdom Ford has allowed the turbo to do the talking. It's just too brilliant a motor to fail with whatever they do with it. They've used it well.

There was nothing wrong with the 230, below 3000rpm - where most driving is done - it was alot torquier than the Boss, alot torquier than the LS2, and even the LS3. This was perfect. Yet image gets in the way once again. It doesn't have "enough" power to do the job. It didn't sell because it didn't have that big number. Mated to the ZF it was actually as quick as the VZ Calais in some tests (don't include the tests where Holden - as they usually do - provide warmed over V8s).

Ford are winning with the G6ET and yet it's not good enough. Holden has a crap V6 that no cashed up bogan wants so instead they'll convince themselves DOD does actually save fuel and go buy a V8. Two completely different reasons why both are selling what they're selling.

Brent, in another thread you clearly point out the XR8 is failing in sales compared to the XR6T, and for the same reason a G8E would have also failed in the same manner. A few individuals would like it, like ltd or your father, I would like too. But when the G6ET is that good I'm not sure they'd move alot of G8Es.
Old 16-07-2009, 10:57 PM   #32
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Don't worry guys, only have a year or so to go and Ford will have a fully modern, quad cam DIVCT screamer of a cyclone engine. They will make a G8E then for sure i'd say. Whether it is retuned or just a carbon copy of the XR8 engine one can't be sure, but either way it will be a great complement to the G6ET. Watching a G8E burn less per 100km then a V8 AFM calais will be made all the more sweet by the 30kw advantage it will carry too.

Ford knows the 230kw v8 didn't sell because it wasn't competitive, though it was a great engine. It also didn't make a 'statement', it was a sleeper of a car and too much of a sleeper at that. By spreading the R & D of the cyclone over more cars, continuing the positioning of the G series (and falcon generally) as a premium car (luxury + performance) and being truly competitive on performance they will be ona winner. In fact the lower sales of the XR8 in recent times means they are more likely than ever to spread their V8 engines around to maximise the number of units.

EDIT: just saw falc'man's post. To continue on from that, while i agree that the presence of the G6ET may hamper G8E sales, i think the nature of the cyclone engine is at play here. An engine that is smooth and revy, all about the noise in effect but still tractable and smooth enough for day to day duties is the key. BOSS owners will go for the animal side, the emotional aspect of the engine. G8E owners will have this over a G6ET, which is more clinical. BUT, to succeed in a luxury car you have to have an engine that suits its character. Muscular but refined. the BOSS is not percieved as that engine. I think a next gen cyclone engine could be, and if packs the rights numbers on paper too....will be a great (albeit lesser selling) compatriate to the G6ET.

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....

Last edited by Swordsman88; 16-07-2009 at 11:02 PM.
Old 17-07-2009, 12:10 AM   #33
fte50
T3FTE -099. OnTemp Loan

Quote:
Originally Posted by banarcus
Oh and another thing. I'll get burnt for this. What is bad about the Holden V6? Due to the generous gearing from the automatic, the V6 actually goes pretty good especially down low(I drove a factory LPG version too). Sure it's not an enthusiasts engine of choice, but it is a very capable motor for the car it is in. I truely believed what I read here about it until I actually drove it and what is often stated here about it is pretty much BS.

What I will say is that the VE wiring gremlins are alive and well.
Capable engine? Is it the only thing youve tried since kingswood?

The new Holden Alloytec V6 is internally dubbed HFV6 - High Feature V6. It WAS to be the pinnacle of V6 design efficiency however it quickly became aparent that this motor was a flop from the start.

Lets see, apart from the fact that the bore/stroke ratio is awfully wrong, torque and power outputs are appaling given its cubic displacement and the fact that its fuel consumption would suggest its a 4.5ltr, there really isnt all that much to fault.
Oh, apart from the fact that this engine has huge 'internal/inhouse' scrap rates, most of which are found AFTER the engines with the customer leaves alot to be desired - incorrect valve seat machining, crank tunnel taper, cylinder bore taper, wrong pistons eg:3.0/3.2ltr mixup.
But i guess these are only MINOR issues. I know cause im on the inside. i get 35% off commodore and wouldnt touch a V6.
Old 17-07-2009, 12:17 AM   #34
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fte50

The new Holden Alloytec V6 is internally dubbed HFV6 - High Feature V6. It WAS to be the pinnacle of V6 design efficiency however it quickly became aparent that this motor was a flop from the start.

Lets see, apart from the fact that the bore/stroke ratio is awfully wrong, torque and power outputs are appaling given its cubic displacement and the fact that its fuel consumption would suggest its a 4.5ltr, there really isnt all that much to fault.
Oh, apart from the fact that this engine has huge 'internal/inhouse' scrap rates, most of which are found AFTER the engines with the customer leaves alot to be desired - incorrect valve seat machining, crank tunnel taper, cylinder bore taper, wrong pistons eg:3.0/3.2ltr mixup.
But i guess these are only MINOR issues. I know cause im on the inside. i get 35% off commodore and wouldnt touch a V6.
OUCH! That's got to hurt. This info is news to most of us, we only know it's bad because of how it performs. Or doesn't perform.

Yep, I'd even buy an LS if I had to steer clear of that glorified boat anchor.
Old 17-07-2009, 09:10 AM   #35
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There is without doubt an element or truth that suggests the V8 sell because the V6 is so bad... and brand loyalty so strong...

Old 17-07-2009, 09:26 AM   #36
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
Initially I was having a dig at the op for his usual rant about any of Ford's decisions. They've decided to give the turbo 6 a go in place of the V8, for the luxury models. I could be wrong but In my view a 290kW G8E wouldn't have been as successful as some would think. I mentioned the 230 because when it was around, it didn't do much. As Brent points out, it didn't have the numbers. You know well how good the bottom end was.

My theory on this is the Boss motors, although smooth and efficient, can be perceived as too peaky for what is a luxury car? I could be mistaken but in their wisdom Ford has allowed the turbo to do the talking. It's just too brilliant a motor to fail with whatever they do with it. They've used it well.

There was nothing wrong with the 230, below 3000rpm - where most driving is done - it was alot torquier than the Boss, alot torquier than the LS2, and even the LS3. This was perfect. Yet image gets in the way once again. It doesn't have "enough" power to do the job. It didn't sell because it didn't have that big number. Mated to the ZF it was actually as quick as the VZ Calais in some tests (don't include the tests where Holden - as they usually do - provide warmed over V8s).

Ford are winning with the G6ET and yet it's not good enough. Holden has a crap V6 that no cashed up bogan wants so instead they'll convince themselves DOD does actually save fuel and go buy a V8. Two completely different reasons why both are selling what they're selling.

Brent, in another thread you clearly point out the XR8 is failing in sales compared to the XR6T, and for the same reason a G8E would have also failed in the same manner. A few individuals would like it, like ltd or your father, I would like too. But when the G6ET is that good I'm not sure they'd move alot of G8Es.
I thought you were having a dig at the OP which is why I was a little sarcastic about it and mentioned the fairmont Ghia V8 and the kind of sales it got (woeful at best). I should qualify that I think renaming the top end vehicles and ditching the fairmont nameplate has been a stroke of brilliance on Fords part. I'm a happy guy with my car and I don't miss anything about the V8's except the sound. That being said I think the turbo 6 sounds awesome and I love the turbo whine on acceleration. It sort of warns knob-ends to look out.
I agree entirely with your assessment on the 230kw V8 compared to the Boss, and concur that it is a numbers game as far as the market is concerned. Again, you are also correct on the strength and brilliance of the turbo 6 motor, and I do realise that a G8E would not actually be faster than the G6E-T.
Overall, you are 100% correct.

Quote:
Powered by GE
Old 17-07-2009, 09:37 AM   #37
Bluepower
KenneBell Australia

Kudos to Holden to have a great engine like the LS, with minimal changes to it since 1998. What a success story, when compared to Ford's half a$$ed attempts at an engine program.

Ford could have released a 6.0 and smashed Holden, they didn't because its a business, we are on a forum because we love fords, these pencil neck's are not like us, they didn't grow up with XY GT pics on the wall......

Good on holden, and as for ford?? I just lament on what could have been......

Bluepower Racing Developments

Proud Australian Distributors of Kenne Bell superchargers
The Quickest, The Fastest, The Baddest Boss Blower of all.

www.bluepower.com.au

Old 17-07-2009, 09:42 AM   #38
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:

You know because you're on the inside. Outside though, brand loyalty and marketing still continue to weave their magic don't they?

Hopefully though, Ford's superior product and market placement over time will win them greater market share, at a higher rate of profitability.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
Old 17-07-2009, 11:32 AM   #39
banarcus
hmm eyebrows

Quote:

No, I have driven a few holdens since the red motor and I don't necessarily believe the Corolla or the Camry are cars that people aspire to own either but both are capable and do their job. Just like the Commodore V6 does and despite what you say about their V6, for the average joe blow who is not an ethusiast, it does the job. If you want something better, they have their V8.

The difference between Holden and Ford fanboys is since Ford dropped the clevo, their fan base have adopted the 6cyl as a performance engine, no doubt because of the Tickford efforts in the 90s and the turbo efforts since the BA. The fact that Ford were using the 165kW windsor for so long helped the 6cyl too.

Sorry for going way off topic here people.....
Old 17-07-2009, 12:24 PM   #40
Wally
XP Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by banarcus
........ Just like the Commodore V6 does and despite what you say about their V6, for the average joe blow who is not an ethusiast, it does the job. If you want something better, they have their V8.

True. The general public don't buy on the basis of who's lump is better, they buy on car looks and how it feels to them. Just like many here refuse to like the look of the VE, there are many out there who don't like the look of the FG.

The Ford hypermilers are playing up the AFM on the 6.0 for all it's worth, but it doesn't seem to be turning sales away. I suspect the increase sales are more through brand awareness than brand loyalty.... of course brand loyalty is a dirty coin of phrase here and only applies to Holden owners.
Old 17-07-2009, 12:29 PM   #41
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Holden V6 is a 3l from September......
Old 17-07-2009, 12:55 PM   #42
XplosiveR6
Viper FG XR6 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluepower
Kudos to Holden to have a great engine like the LS, with minimal changes to it since 1998. What a success story, when compared to Ford's half a$$ed attempts at an engine program.

Ford could have released a 6.0 and smashed Holden, they didn't because its a business, we are on a forum because we love fords, these pencil neck's are not like us, they didn't grow up with XY GT pics on the wall......

Good on holden, and as for ford?? I just lament on what could have been......
kudos to holden for what? being lucky thier parent company upgrades their dispacement of their V8s every year for holden to simply import them and throw into their commodore, and happens to be their only performance motor they offer. Yea sounds like alot of effort.
Where as ford developed in house their turbocharged I6 and still offered a competitive V8 which is assembled and engineered somewhat here, which they dont need 6.0l to perform good power levels.
Ford Aus obviously spend alot more on R&D on their performance motors then holden for such a small market its such a great effort.
We should be greatfull these companys give us such huge options. But some people will never be happy.
Old 17-07-2009, 01:03 PM   #43
SSbaby
Banned

Quote:

Without wanting to sound too harsh, I find it hard to believe the V6 engines come out of the factory that way. Not when the engines are essentially produced by machines with strict tolerances.

You kind of lost me when you stated "the bore/stroke ratio is awfully wrong". That's baloney.
Old 17-07-2009, 01:22 PM   #44
SSbaby
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
The Ford hypermilers are playing up the AFM on the 6.0 for all it's worth, but it doesn't seem to be turning sales away. I suspect the increase sales are more through brand awareness than brand loyalty.... of course brand loyalty is a dirty coin of phrase here and only applies to Holden owners.
AFM isn't the be all and end all as half the V8 sales are tied to manuals... which are devoid of any AFM feature. And HSV don't use it either.
Old 17-07-2009, 02:54 PM   #45
Bluepower
KenneBell Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by XplosiveR6
kudos to holden for what? being lucky thier parent company upgrades their dispacement of their V8s every year for holden to simply import them and throw into their commodore, and happens to be their only performance motor they offer. Yea sounds like alot of effort.
Where as ford developed in house their turbocharged I6 and still offered a competitive V8 which is assembled and engineered somewhat here, which they dont need 6.0l to perform good power levels.
Ford Aus obviously spend alot more on R&D on their performance motors then holden for such a small market its such a great effort.
We should be greatfull these companys give us such huge options. But some people will never be happy.
Right and wrong, its good for GM to bring such a product into Australia, the net result is good sales and more importantly resale figures.

Holden didn't have to release anything better, in 98,99,00,01,02,03,04,05,06,07,08 and 09 Ford have been playing catchup. The turbo 6 isn't even included here.......thank god for the T6 or Ford probably wouldn't get a mention in any of the mags.......

You want to talk about innovation? Why didn't ford make a 6.0 all alloy deal and turn the tables for once? The ford V8 in aus would be a giant killer and the FPV engine assembly area would look busy, instead of a vacant area where we could play indoor footy.

I spoke to Lee andrew recently, 2IC at FPV, and the conversation was fairly flat. He admitted to me that no warranty will be given to any Boss owner if they have an exhaust of any kind fitted by dealer or otherwise, no matter what. Talk to Holden and they will SUPPORT a client if they want to make the car sound like a real V8. Ford are not even putting up a fight. very sad indeed.

Ford have to learn. I hope holden will continue to smash Ford in V8 sales, if Ford wont listen to its customer base, perhaps they will listen to their Balance sheet.

Bluepower Racing Developments

Proud Australian Distributors of Kenne Bell superchargers
The Quickest, The Fastest, The Baddest Boss Blower of all.

www.bluepower.com.au

Old 17-07-2009, 03:47 PM   #46
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

I'm not sure how this debate got so off topic (i highly doubt Holden's V8 sales are this high purely because Ford's V8 is supposedly so uncompetitive) but i would make one point. So far in this thread some of the main theories put forward for the continued sales performance of holden's V8s are:

1. Availability accross the commodore lineup (not just performance)
2. Actual or percieved superiority over the Ford V8 (boss predominantly, but carry over from the 230 days)
3. V6 is rubbish and private buyers especially go for the V8
4. AFM, marketing or actual.

It would appear that while options 1,2,4 are well understood, with everyone having an opinion, the issue of the V6 stands out as one that everyone downplays. The question i have is this....Since the E series days the ford 6 has been very well recieved, in fact outperforming the V8s of the day (this continues with the I6T), both Fords and often Holdens V8 too (think BA XR6T versus VX-Y SS). Everyone points out that the poor sales of the ford V8 is because the I6T is so dominant in a range of areas particulary performance. Yet no-one acepts the same premise (in reverse) for Holden.

If I was a Holden fan and went into a dealership to test drive an SV6, and was thoroughly disappointed in it, what would i do? Assuming i can't bring myself to buy a Ford, i'm probably going to lobby that dealer hard to get a SS.... I think Holden knows damn well the alloytec is not a performance engine, not even close. They know that without well priced V8s they would struggle to retain the bogan faithful, let alone the swing buyers. The deals out there on base SS commodores would make guys who bought V8 commodores even 5 years ago weep in their beards. I know a guy who has just bought a second SS....one auto one manual. Massive holden fan, got both dirt cheap. How many guys 10 years whose only 2 cars are both V8 holdens??

If and when Ford releases the coyote based V8 i think Holden will have very few places to hide RE their commodore lineup. The release of a DI alloytec might help out...but i'd doubt it can match the FG I6 NA let alone the I6T.

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Old 17-07-2009, 07:08 PM   #47
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluepower
You want to talk about innovation? Why didn't ford make a 6.0 all alloy deal and turn the tables for once? The ford V8 in aus would be a giant killer and the FPV engine assembly area would look busy, instead of a vacant area where we could play indoor footy.
I'll admit it would have been nice but I believe the reason they didn't and GM did is that Ford didn't want to spend the money on development. Whilst GM did spend the money, they also went bust and ford have continued to trade without bailouts from the US government so in a way, ford did the right thing.

Quote: