Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-10-2008, 08:55 AM   #31
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Since the NT introduced speed limits the road toll has skyrocketed.
I believe it is now double what it was a couple of years ago, the year before they introduced speed limits. Last year, the first with speed limits, the road toll was a record high in the NT I believe.
Old 26-10-2008, 09:38 AM   #32
ZEDAYE
20 INCH 100 SPOKES

"Adolf Hitler used to say that about murdering jews too."

" I didn't actually think that propaganda could actually indoctrinate anyone into such mindless one dimensional thinking but obviously it can."

Old 26-10-2008, 09:51 AM   #33
Bad Bird
Watts a panhard.

His opinion is like flatulence. Sure, it befouls the air for a moment, but then it is gone.
Bad Bird is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2008, 10:29 AM   #34
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthAu
If he was able to get caught then it clearly wasn't safe,
Huh?
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthAu
if you don't have time to slow down for speed trap then odds are you wont be stopping in time if a person or other object moves into your path.
Like many others on here I drive this road every day and for a country NSW road it's in good condition.
He was caught by a HP car popping over a crest and zapping him with the radar, no SPEED TRAP at all, and the only objects getting in your way would be a 'Roo.

Two things I've been pondering since this happened are...

1# Does this mean that this HP officer was brave to book his commander showing that anyone who breaks the law will get booked

Or.

2# Does it mean that he is one of the group that really would "book his own mother".
Old 26-10-2008, 10:37 AM   #35
Wally
XP Coupe

Wanna lay odds he has been booked for a lessor breach? Was he breath tested? Was he drug tested? Will he have the usual three charges to answer? Will he be given a chauffer to drive him about while suspended?
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2008, 10:46 AM   #36
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews
Since the NT introduced speed limits the road toll has skyrocketed.
I believe it is now double what it was a couple of years ago, the year before they introduced speed limits. Last year, the first with speed limits, the road toll was a record high in the NT I believe.
The road toll for the Northern Territory for 2008 to 18 October is 65.
For the same period last year (2007) the road toll was 39

End 2007 was a decade-high result and the first full year of rural NT speed-limits. 2008 as we see, is that much better again.

This, despite the cost of fuel and reduced casual travel as a result. That said, 2009 *must* reduce, the economic factor will increasingly play a large part in that.

The speed derestriction sign has been removed from Australian Standards (1742.4), done by MS12 Committee members - state employees, academics etc. That is to say it will be contracted so. Its an attempt, I argue, to prevent political parties from using 'policy' to re-adopt it.

MP's think they run the place.

That said, ways and means.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2008, 10:53 AM   #37
prydey
Rob

i reckon that HP officer may have limited his career options with that move.
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2008, 12:21 PM   #38
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

Quote:
Brainwashed into the speed kills mantra I see. I didn't actually think that propaganda could actually indoctrinate anyone into such mindless one dimensional thinking but obviously it can.

Are those countries with more sane speed limits in the middle of nowhere pathetic?

I spose you reckon it's safe to drink'n'drive....what is with your paranoid views of government and law enforcment?

Last edited by fairmont1998; 26-10-2008 at 02:51 PM. Reason: No need for insults
SM1DY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2008, 02:27 PM   #39
xe351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
Huh?
Like many others on here I drive this road every day and for a country NSW road it's in good condition.
He was caught by a HP car popping over a crest and zapping him with the radar, no SPEED TRAP at all, and the only objects getting in your way would be a 'Roo.
haha or an emu, i had one of those try and take us out once lol.

Seriously for those who have never travelled these roads, between Euston-Hay-Wagga you can see on coming cars about 2km away, there are no trees to hit and could safely be 140 at least

Twin Horns 8-9/74 and lower horn dated 7-8/74, GT hubcaps. GT aircleaner. Please pm me if you can help
xe351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2008, 02:51 PM   #40
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SM1DY
I spose you reckon it's safe to drink'n'drive....what is with your paranoid views of government and law enforcment?
This is interesting.

Can you please tell us all of your personal experiences of society where there are open speed limits, people actually met together to talk socially over a few beers and the safely drove home. A society where people respected others and did not spend all of their time trying to tell others how to live their lives.
A society where communication and debating required face to face confrontation, not just SMS or keyboard warrioring while safely hiding in your mum's house.

What were the effects your saw?
How did people interact?
What was life like?

Were there more accidents and injuries from drunk people driving slowly home in cars they saved up for and owned than inexperienced young know all idiots with delusions of ability in high powered heavily financed ego extensions on wheels?

Or do you actually have no idea and are just repeating what you have been told on Neighbours and Home & Away?
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2008, 03:01 PM   #41
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Way to many TT and ACA viewers on FF.au for my liking..
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2008, 10:47 AM   #42
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Quote:
Absolutely not. I do not have paranoid views about law enforcement. I think some laws are stupid and the speed kills mantra absolute brain dead material.

I do not drink and drive. Not even one. I take great joy and pride in driving/riding well.

Despite socially enjoying much more ale than the average bear and able to hand it quite well I can feel the effects of one schooner of beer when getting behind the wheel. It is the only time I can feel the effects of moderate amounts of alcohol and thus I don't do it as I do not feel comfortable and do not believe thus I am as safe on the road as I should be. Thus I do believe in drink driving laws and am happy for the enforcement of such laws.

In regards to most speed limits and the absolute draconian automatically guilty way they are enforced then I am totally against them as I believe for the most part outside of cities they are ridiculous.

I would love to see such enforcement against failing to indicate (my pet hate) and generally crap driving in regards to all the other road rules. In most states there are bigger fines and penalties etc. for speeding than running a red light or failing to give way. Surely any reasonable human can see that is ridiculous. What's more dangerous? 50km/h over in the middle of nowhere or running red lights?
Old 27-10-2008, 11:11 AM   #43
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

McNews and Flappist - you are each judged to be politically incorrect. You are therefore 'real people' who take personal responsibility.

We need more of us:-)))
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2008, 11:29 AM   #44
colossus
Secret Sleuth

I agree with McNews - too many brainwashed people getting around nowadays.
Old 27-10-2008, 11:42 AM   #45
Wally
XP Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
This is interesting.

Can you please tell us all of your personal experiences of society where there are open speed limits, people actually met together to talk socially over a few beers and the safely drove home. A society where people respected others and did not spend all of their time trying to tell others how to live their lives.
A society where communication and debating required face to face confrontation, not just SMS or keyboard warrioring while safely hiding in your mum's house.

That's easy ...........it was when I was a boy. When you were encouraged to get outside, where homes were a place to eat, bathe and sleep, when Sunday sessions were a family affair, when cops practised common sense and were treated with respect, when the community actually gave a hoot about what was going on in their neighbourhood and who'd been a naughty boy.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2008, 12:21 PM   #46
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
That's easy ...........it was when I was a boy. When you were encouraged to get outside, where homes were a place to eat, bathe and sleep, when Sunday sessions were a family affair, when cops practised common sense and were treated with respect, when the community actually gave a hoot about what was going on in their neighbourhood and who'd been a naughty boy.
Hey that is just like it was for me too, what a coincidence.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2008, 04:38 PM   #47
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

Quote:
What's more dangerous? 50km/h over in the middle of nowhere or running red lights?
That's a fair point, but understanding the circumstances is also of great nessecity.

If you ran a red light intentionally, on most occassions you would make a judgement call as to wheather or not it was safe.

At 150km/h you don't leave a lot of room for error if the worst was to happen.

Rural speed limits may be a joke when enforced, but they are there for a reason. I choose to abided by them, because if something went wrong and someone were to die or be injured for life due to my bad judgement, I don't think I could live with myself.
Old 27-10-2008, 06:35 PM   #48
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
At 150km/h you don't leave a lot of room for error if the worst was to happen.

Rural speed limits may be a joke when enforced, but they are there for a reason. I choose to abided by them, because if something went wrong and someone were to die or be injured for life due to my bad judgement, I don't think I could live with myself.
I bet you live in a city

At a legal 100kmh in some places there is NO room for error!

Exceeding any speed is wholly dependant on the circumstances.

40kmh (10 UNDER the legal limit) down the main street of Moree, or many other small country towns, during shopping hours would be bloody dangerous.

110kmh across the Nullabor is mind numbingly boring, the same goes for most freeways.
Old 27-10-2008, 11:31 PM   #49
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
40kmh (10 UNDER the legal limit) down the main street of Moree, or many other small country towns, during shopping hours would be bloody dangerous.
you wouldn't want to go much slower than that either in some of those towns or that could become quite dangerous. (risky) : i guess you'd be fairly safe in a b double though.
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2008, 04:10 PM   #50
fox76
Starter Motor

Lets put this in perspective. Besides there being no provision for gaol for an over 45kph speeding ticket, think about what you are saying. We have a justice system that has a hard time putting offenders who glass people, murder, rape, mame, drive a car and kill or injure, get into police pursuits and assault people in gaol. Do you really think even if there was a provision for gaol it would happen? Not likely.

Whilst I agree some speed limits could be higher the average driver skill and conditions of the roads (In NSW at least) is just not up to scratch. So we have a system of blanket rules for us all. Think about all the idiodic things you see on the road often follwed by the thought or saying of "Where did they get their licence?"

How many times have you be in lane three of a freeway doing the speed limit or 5 - 10 k's above it and some idiot merges in front of you? happens all the time and I am sure there are many other examples members can think of. The answer in part I suppose would be driver training but it seems that governments want to stay clear of that as it is expensive. People often compare us to other nations but it is not always vaild. We have different road contions, different licence processes, and different road attitudes. Not saying they are right but there are many things unique here. It would be good if there was an incentive to get futher training by certified training companys, such as say 3 more points on your licence and may be even a lower insurance premium.
fox76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2008, 06:39 PM   #51
XlR8TED

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
young know all idiots with delusions of ability in high powered heavily financed ego extensions on wheels?
Stop waving that cane around, you'll poke someone's eye out...
XlR8TED is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2008, 03:09 PM   #52
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
i guess you'd be fairly safe in a b double though.
Are you nuts?

Do you realise what kind of target (for empty stubbies) a White 26metre B-Double is at night!
Old 29-10-2008, 03:37 PM   #53
mcnews
Trev

Quote:
If you ran a red light intentionally, on most occassions you would make a judgement call as to wheather or not it was safe..
I think you must be joking. Running a red light without stopping in any circumstances is to my mind more dangerous than 200km/h on most major country highways. And the penalty for running the red light should be many times worse than any speeding offence in my opinion.
Old 29-10-2008, 03:40 PM   #54
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

Quote:
Running a red light without stopping
I didn't say that, be logical.