Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-03-2014, 01:09 PM   #31
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Are 4×4 dual cabs family cars?

Turning circle? Not as huge a difference as one might think...certainly surprised us how nimble such a long vehicle is.
Triton twin cab: 12 mtr turning circle,
FG Falcon: 11 meters. Then again, we often found that the "effective turning circle" was larger with the G6E, as you had to be extremely careful of graunching the nose on kerbs of even fairly medium sloped gutters, so the "11 meters" might be a little conservative.

Servicing is about the same as the non-fixed price servicing on a Falcon as well, and consumables are roughly the same price.
Owning a four wheel drive isn't the massive extra cost impost it once was.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 04-03-2014, 01:27 PM   #32
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

http://www.fixedpricecarservice.com.au/
especially concerning their love of the motor vehicle.

http://www.fireservicecollege.ac.uk
johnydep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2014, 01:30 PM   #33
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor 57 View Post
they are until your kids become teenagers, then room is an issue
Not in the later ones. The PX ranger has a lot more room in the rear then an PK.
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-03-2014, 01:38 PM   #34
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post
Turning circle? Not as huge a difference as one might think...certainly surprised us how nimble such a long vehicle is.
Triton twin cab: 12 mtr turning circle,
FG Falcon: 11 meters. Then again, we often found that the "effective turning circle" was larger with the G6E, as you had to be extremely careful of graunching the nose on kerbs of even fairly medium sloped gutters, so the "11 meters" might be a little conservative.

Servicing is about the same as the non-fixed price servicing on a Falcon as well, and consumables are roughly the same price.
Owning a four wheel drive isn't the massive extra cost impost it once was.
12.7m for the PX Ranger, so almost 2m more than a Falcon. Our FG is much easier to park than our PX Ranger. As I said the high bonnet makes it worse. My Dad has an ML Triton and the Ranger makes the Triton look much smaller when they are parked beside one another.

As for servicing, our XR6T is on average $100 per service cheaper than the Ranger.

Last edited by naddis01; 04-03-2014 at 01:48 PM.
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2014, 01:47 PM   #35
H.G
Driver Returns On Foot

great if your raising midgets..
H.G is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2014, 01:51 PM   #36
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT View Post
Not in the later ones. The PX ranger has a lot more room in the rear then an PK.
Is it true there are no air vents in the back?

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2014, 01:56 PM   #37
Dash_XR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We did a few big trips in the family Hilux crew cab as a kid, they really are pretty much indestructible and can do pretty much anything. Folks bought it brand new and its coming up on 500 now with almost nothing but regular servicing. The only complaint would be leaf springs on long trips can be a pita after a while, especially for the poor kids sitting in the back.
Rapid Systems Intercooler & Battery Relocation - ID 1000 Injectors - Process West Surge Tank - Venom 100 Cell Bolt On Cat - XForce 3.5 inch Catback - Plazmaman 4 inch Turboside Intake - Crow HD Valve Springs - Glowshift Gauges (Oil temp, Oil Pressure, Boost, Volt) - Malwood Opt 5 - XR50 Interior - FG2 Limited Ed 19's - Nitto Invo's

Dash_XR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2014, 03:10 PM   #38
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

I can't understand paying more for a vehicle that is positively worse in nearly every way.
Hell, even an E-Series Falcon is more refined than a dual cab 4x4.

Less features, higher service costs, higher rego cost, more expensive tyres, no boot, slower, worse handling, rougher ride, harder to park, larger turning circle, less interior space than a camry. All for a G6E Turbo price? NO THANKS!

Reference: Over the last half a dozen years I've had a Ranger, two tritons and two hiluxes for work, all new. All 4x4 dual cab diesels. All thoroughly agricultural and devoid of comfort, pace and refinement.

Last edited by Mr Hardware; 04-03-2014 at 03:17 PM.
Mr Hardware is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2014, 03:20 PM   #39
jimmyxr6t04
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware View Post
I can't understand paying more for a vehicle that is positively worse in nearly every way.

Less features, higher service costs, higher rego cost, more expensive tyres, no boot, slower, worse handling, rougher ride, harder to park, larger turning circle, less interior space than a camry. All for a G6E Turbo price? NO THANKS!
Canopy becomes the boot. People don't buy them for handling. It's a lifestyle. My GT can't go where my triton can. And if it could, I wouldn't want to take it there anyway!!

Interior space isn't too bad these days. A few small compromises for quite a few benefits! It's nice to go off road knowing you have a relatively capable car.
jimmyxr6t04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2014, 03:24 PM   #40
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

All this talk about "huge" turning circle, my GMC Sierra was 14M, the same as the F350 of the same year.

Its not an issue unless you plan on driving it through the CBD and you can just mount gutters and drive over them anyway given how high these dual cab utes are.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2014, 03:45 PM   #41
Dash_XR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Reference: Over the last half a dozen years I've had a Ranger, two tritons and two hiluxes for work, all new. All 4x4 dual cab diesels. All thoroughly agricultural and devoid of comfort, pace and refinement.
How's the G6E fair off road?
Rapid Systems Intercooler & Battery Relocation - ID 1000 Injectors - Process West Surge Tank - Venom 100 Cell Bolt On Cat - XForce 3.5 inch Catback - Plazmaman 4 inch Turboside Intake - Crow HD Valve Springs - Glowshift Gauges (Oil temp, Oil Pressure, Boost, Volt) - Malwood Opt 5 - XR50 Interior - FG2 Limited Ed 19's - Nitto Invo's

Dash_XR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2014, 04:44 PM   #42
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Quote:

Some things are correct but less interior space than a Camry? Not in the new ones. Here is me in a new Colorado and I'm 195cm
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2014, 05:18 PM   #43
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

For a family of rednecks maybe? Not me.
Ford_The_Win is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2014, 05:35 PM   #44
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Cranium View Post
Some things are correct but less interior space than a Camry? Not in the new ones. Here is me in a new Colorado and I'm 195cm image
Looks tight to me. I wouldn't want my leg that close to hard plastic, in a crash.
especially concerning their love of the motor vehicle.

http://www.fireservicecollege.ac.uk
johnydep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2014, 06:06 PM   #45
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnydep View Post
Looks tight to me. I wouldn't want my leg that close to hard plastic, in a crash.

That's not close this is
Old 04-03-2014, 06:10 PM   #46
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

This is the ranger I get about 50mm clearance and ve which is about the same but a more reclined position I don't even think of fitting in other cars. The most comfy table ones are large dual cabs. You get shoulder and head space in them
Old 04-03-2014, 06:54 PM   #47
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I take it by "high rego costs" you're not in Queensland. We save quite a bit on the rego for our four cylinder Triton as compared to the previous six cylinder G6E.
Tyres? Depends what you choose and for what purpose, but the 19" tyres on our G6E were pretty crippling unless you were prepared to order something cheaper and wait for it to be delivered, seeing as how we don't live in a capital city. Also, you can get years out of a set of fourbie tyres because of the deep tread.

"Comfort, pace, and refinement". Comfort, on city roads and southern highways, I will give you. But if you buy a twin cab expecting "pace" (as some road testers seem to expect), then it's the wrong car for you.

"Cost" depends hugely on what you're buying. Toyotas are excellent but seriously overpriced, full stop. Tritons are the bargain of the quality twin cab bunch. Ranger too is excellent, but to get a reasonable level of trim, yes, you're paying G6E prices.
Also, an E series Falcon could not go half the places and get back again that even a two wheel drive twin cab can go.

Horses for courses...but it's hard to ignore the carrying capacity of a twin cab. Not to mention towing...and no, no one buys V8 sedans to tow the stereotypical "horse floats and big boats" anymore. they buy four wheel drives. Peoples needs and wants are changing...which is why Falcon and Commodore are going down the gurgler.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 04-03-2014, 08:03 PM   #48
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Unless you are going to use the tray, dont bother. I don't care how much plasti-chrome they chuck on the front they still are ladder-chassis, drum brake equipped pieces of Thai crap. The engines are transmission are yesteryear, the bodies are tinfoil and the high centre of gravity and rubbery steering makes them awful to drive and staggeringly overpriced in this country.

Get a Grand Cherokee and enjoy the drive, otherwise buy an old $500 Kingswood and you will have something that you don't mind scratching off road and yet is still better built, more comfortable and better driving than a modern dual cab.

Having said all that, I grin and bear it, they are practical and I have to drive them extensively at work so a free vehicle is a free vehicle,
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 04-03-2014, 08:10 PM   #49
Eaturbo
BUILT FORD TUFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen View Post
Unless you are going to use the tray, dont bother. I don't care how much plasti-chrome they chuck on the front they still are ladder-chassis, drum brake equipped pieces of Thai crap. The engines are transmission are yesteryear, the bodies are tinfoil and the high centre of gravity and rubbery steering makes them awful to drive and staggeringly overpriced in this country.

Get a Grand Cherokee and enjoy the drive, otherwise buy an old $500 Kingswood and you will have something that you don't mind scratching off road and yet is still better built, more comfortable and better driving than a modern dual cab.

Having said all that, I grin and bear it, they are practical and I have to drive them extensively at work so a free vehicle is a free vehicle,

Maybe but the overwhelming majority of Australians might tend to disagree with you considering the number that get sold every month.

And what do you class as a family car these days, hell years ago the VW bettle and Leyland Mini's where family cars. A family car can be anything that suits your family
Old 04-03-2014, 08:35 PM   #50
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
I take it by "high rego costs" you're not in Queensland. We save quite a bit on the rego for our four cylinder Triton as compared to the previous six cylinder G6E.
No, I am in QLD, and No, rego for a 4 cyl commercial is higher than for a 4 cyl car. $663 car, $707 dual cab.

Quote:
"Comfort, pace, and refinement". Comfort, on city roads and southern highways, I will give you. But if you buy a twin cab expecting "pace" (as some road testers seem to expect), then it's the wrong car for you.
I don't think we're talking at odds here. This is exactly what i'm saying, there are literally dozens of facts about a dual cab that you have to continually justify to yourself with a "...yeah, but it's a dual cab, what do you expect". They are an inferior vehicle in almost every conceivable way.

Quote:
Tritons are the bargain of the quality twin cab bunch.
You may have missed my posts in the past about the ML Triton I had which went back for warranty 3 times. It had so many warranty troubles I thought it might have been a BA Falcon in a former life.

Quote:
Horses for courses...
And that's exactly it. But I put it to you all that a large portion of people who have a 4WD only do so because they've been sold the idea of a 'new magical outdoorsy lifestyle previously denied to them' by advertising.
3 users like this post:
Old 04-03-2014, 08:54 PM   #51
dirtyclevo

what are these like?

Jeep Wrangler unlimited overlander/rubicon

i was thinking about looking at one but not sure about them. i know they are tough. i like how the all the doors and roof come off.

Last edited by dirtyclevo; 07-03-2014 at 08:58 PM.
dirtyclevo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2014, 08:59 PM   #52
GT69
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My XLT has a better turning circle than my missus Focus ST.....

They are 'big' but really not THAT big. Certainly not a reason to avoid buying that's for sure, My missus is 5,1 she doesn't like driving it because it 'feels huge', and compared to a Focus it certainly is. Realistically, a 10 minute drive and she's all sorted.

Current Ride - 2013 Ford Ranger, XLT 4x4, ARB kitted brick
Former Current ride - 09 XR6T in Octane, with a pinch of Sports pack
Weekender - Ford Cortina 1969 coupe
Project - 1968 Ford Cortina 4 door
GT69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2014, 09:03 PM   #53
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hally View Post
Gents can I chime in with a question.....

We have a diesel X-Trail, which is a great rig but we want a dual cab that we can pack up dogs and kids to go camping and tow a bit better etc. My question is basically on the Colorado. Everyone bags them but is a Ranger worth 8-10k more? Please take out the brand bias on this one.

Cheers,

Andrew
I found the PX Ranger is more comfortable & spacious in the back compared to the Triton , D Max, Colorado & Nissan which I looked at.

Colorado was my second choice, as they were good value on price when I looked 14 months ago.

I thought paying extra was worth buying the Ranger & have no regrets.

Last edited by Itsme; 04-03-2014 at 09:12 PM.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2014, 09:32 PM   #54
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The engines are transmission are yesteryear
the 3.2 diesel and 6 speed auto in the Ranger is yesteryear?
I have always heard such good reviews about this combo of engine and transmission
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2014, 09:55 PM   #55
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
the 3.2 diesel and 6 speed auto in the Ranger is yesteryear?
I have always heard such good reviews about this combo of engine and transmission
They are good!!!
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2014, 10:54 PM   #56
Flat Top
lid man

you can also auomate any hard lids (for the missus)
Flat Top is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2014, 11:50 PM   #57
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior View Post
Is it true there are no air vents in the back?
Yeah, I'm pretty sure they stuck it them in the centre console instead.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2014, 01:45 AM   #58
wranger

Quote:

Auto from the Falcon, manual from the Mustang and M3, engine that will likely go in the F150 next year, I wouldn't call the Ranger drive-train Yesteryear.

Guessing that you've driven Hiluxes and Tritons, Ranger and Amarok are completely different beasts.

Last edited by wranger; 05-03-2014 at 01:57 AM.
wranger is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2014, 06:56 AM   #59
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Depends on what dual cab you are talking about - i own a Navara 550 ( currently on a trip that would challange your avarage sedan) - it has leather interior , electric heated seats, sat nav and hd music box , folding mirrors ,great sound system . Engine is 170kW 550Nm V6 TD with 7 speed auto and more than refined enough for me . Not as quick as G6ET but i would not say it struggles in any way as far as pace is concerned. Tows effortlessly especially on long Hume Hwy inclines :-) Economy is great and with some All Terrain tyres it gets places out of reach to ordinary sedan. Mine has canopy and boot space is huge even with a fridge installed . Tyre expense is not greater than a sedan as good quality high performance tyre for G6ET is just as expensive as a decent All Terrain but only lasts half as long .
Only problem with a dual cab is wrestling the keys away from my mrs :-) .
New generation of dual cabs are much improved vehicles even if not quite as refined as a good sedan . It really depends on your lifestyle , if you are active person who likes to get out, ride bikes , surf , kayak or own dogs or even all of the above :-) dual cab can do it all ...if you just want to drive around the city , from and to work etc . sedan might be a better choice.

Last edited by SumoDog68; 05-03-2014 at 07:15 AM.
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2014, 09:34 AM   #60
XWGT