Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 26-09-2011, 02:31 PM   #31
SVT8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: BA XR6T or AUIII XR8?

if you leave them near stock go the 220kw au xr8. Both the Turbo and au standard arnt anything flash, just get an exhaust and enjoy it. Both cars are reliable, just watch out for cheap flogged out ba turbos though.
Old 26-09-2011, 04:43 PM   #32
Donny
Tickford 220kw Windsor...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadFoot81
The AU (series) is a very well sorted car mechanically. I think the interior fit and finish is head and shoulders above the B-Series (it does show it's 90s roots though) The XRs are a razor sharp drive but have a bit of 'mongrel' about them; they can crash and bash over rough roads. The sound and torque of the Windsor make for a great cruiser.

The BA has a more modern interior, and even in XR form offers a plush ride. Plus there are thousands of BA XRs out there, so its very much a buyer's market for second hand B-Series. A well priced, clean example shouldn't be too hard to find. The 6T goes hard as well.

I love the look of AU XRs, but admit that the B-Series has a more 'grown up' look. An AU XR might look too 'boy racer' in the parking lot next to the other manager's cars.

In case I offend any AU fans, let me make it clear that I love my XR8 to death and will be keeping it *forever* but I can also be grown up and accept the pros and cons of each car.

Either way you'll end up with a nice ride so maybe drive them back to back and...follow your heart. ;)
I think you hit the nail on the head there, certainly didnt offend me with what ya said as an AU owner, I totally agree...
An I wont be getting rid of AU3 XR8 either, for those reasons above and more, unless another one comes along in the exact right combo.

Someone else pointed out with the b series XR's to get the luxo pack, with leather and premmy sound etc, but that wasnt available on the earlier 02/03 BA1's, I think that started either right at the end of BA1 production or at BA2, as my mid 2003 BA XR that I bought new, wasnt an available option then.
IMHO the BA 4 speed autos can be hit n miss too, you get either a good or ratty one, the ratty ones can be a bit dodgy and can ruin the whole ownership experience of that car, mine had a ratty one and I couldnt wait to see the back of it... The AU's ran a diffrent model 4 speed auto, and their fine.

Old 26-09-2011, 05:15 PM   #33
RAPID_BA
Banned

The au3 xr8 is not a bad car if you can find a mint condition example under $10k. You gotta remember at the end of the day its a au and your work colleagues are likely to perceive it to be a cheaper car. If your looking to spend more, its a no contest, get the much fresher looking car in the ba, the looks and performance and perception its a more modern and expensive model should sway your decision.

Depends on your budget, both are good for their price points
Old 26-09-2011, 05:20 PM   #34
4.0i OHC
Computer Torque Control

I'd rather buy an AUIII XR6 VCT and turbo that. However, if you don't want to mod, I'd go with the AU V8. Much better IRS, and better built. If you go auto, it has a better transmission as well.
Old 26-09-2011, 05:29 PM   #35
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

@ That Banned Guy,

Both cars in Automatic form should be able to legally tow a car trailer with an E-Series falcon on the back as long as its a Braked Trailer.

Maximum braked tow capacity of both the AUIII XR8 and BA XR6T in Automatic form is 2300kg.

A standard EL XR8 has a kerb weight of 1600kg, even giving 100kg leeway for CRYHSV's modifications, that still leaves room for a 600kg trailer while still remaining legal.
Old 26-09-2011, 05:30 PM   #36
THE CADBURY KID

The transmissions are weaker in the ba series from what ive read but really its comparing apples and oranges,which do you prefer.
The xr8 au s3(mid to high 14 second qm in auto guise) are no different really to a stock ba auto turbo in straightline speed.
V8 has off the mark torque but the turbo makes more grunt once its wound up,v8 would be better for towing.
If you tow heavy loads just upgrade the brakes and trans cooler which ever car you pick.
Old 26-09-2011, 05:30 PM   #37
321Go

AUIII XR8 wins hands down. Much better built, sorted all round car. And IMO, looks better too.

If it was between a AUIII XR8, and a FG XR6T, the FG would win.
Old 26-09-2011, 05:55 PM   #38
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

I have been asked (as my au is pretty tidy ) what model falcon is that - answer me its an au - them oh I don't like the au ? Some people have not a clue . In my eyes I believe they are holding their age much better than the b series , but that's just me . The xr8 would take some beating I reckon .
Old 26-09-2011, 06:14 PM   #39
Windsor342ci
The Experience...

Hi guys,

Just reading through every post and some really interesting reads here! Someone mentioned something very accurate about the initial look of the BA are a little more modern in design. I do agree with that but I don’t necessarily agree with the look as a personal choice. I like it but can’t say it outweighs the AU III.

Vanman above mentions that the AU are holding their age now a day’s better then the BA's and I honestly have to agree.

Another member mentions go back about 8 years ago and not many would talk up the AU at all. To be honest, less the 2 years ago I hated AU's with a passion and found them to be a horrible car UNTIL I GOT IN ONE! I was blown away with how nice and thought out the interior was and coming out of my Mrs. BA at the time, I couldn’t believe the differences between them.

There’s also a conversation being had about towing capacity. The falcons are rated at 2,300kgs for assisted braking but that’s in other states, I’m pretty sure In NSW the weight of the pull can be no more then the prime mover. I may be wrong though.....
Old 26-09-2011, 06:24 PM   #40
SteveJH

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRYHSV
There’s also a conversation being had about towing capacity. The falcons are rated at 2,300kgs for assisted braking but that’s in other states, I’m pretty sure In NSW the weight of the pull can be no more then the prime mover. I may be wrong though.....
NSW Legislation is the following, from part 18 of the Road Rules 2008.
Quote:
294–2 NSW rule: towing by vehicles under 4.5 tonnes

(cf RRR, cl 49)

(1) A driver must not drive a motor vehicle (the towing vehicle) that has a motor vehicle, trailer or other vehicle attached to it for the purpose of being towed (the towed vehicle), if the laden weight of the towed vehicle exceeds:
(a) the capacity of the towing attachment fitted to the towing vehicle, or

(b) the maximum laden weight for the towed vehicle.

Maximum penalty: 20 penalty units.

Note. Motor vehicle, towing attachment and trailer are defined in the Dictionary, and vehicle is defined in rule 15.

(2) For the purposes of subrule (1), the maximum laden weight for a towed vehicle is:
(a) the maximum laden weight for a towed vehicle that the manufacturer of the towing vehicle has specified in respect of the towing vehicle, or

(b) if the manufacturer of the towing vehicle has not specified such a maximum, the manufacturer cannot be identified or the towing vehicle has been modified to the extent that the manufacturer’s specification is no longer appropriate:
(i) one and a half times the unladen weight of the towing vehicle if the towed vehicle is fitted with a braking system that is working properly, or

(ii) the unladen weight of the towing vehicle in any other case.

(3) A driver of a towing vehicle does not contravene subrule (1) if:
(a) the towing vehicle is driven or used in accordance with the prior written permission of the Authority and any conditions set out in the document giving the permission, and

(b) a copy of that document is carried by the driver of the towing vehicle when using the vehicle otherwise than in accordance with subrule (1).

Note. Authority is defined in the Act.

(4) This rule does not apply to any vehicle or combination of vehicles with a GVM or GCM over 4.5 tonnes.
Note 1. Combination is defined in the Dictionary, vehicle is defined in rule 15, and GCM and GVM are defined in the Act.

Note 2. This rule is an additional NSW road rule. There is no corresponding rule in the Australian Road Rules.
As stated above, the maximum braked load of an Automatic AUIII or BA Falcon as stated by the manufacturer is 2300kg.
Old 26-09-2011, 06:26 PM   #41
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

How much weight are you looking to tow? I have a ba xr6 turbo fitted with the factory tow pack, albeit not the heavy duty one because the vehicle is only rated to tow 1600 kg's so i only got the corresponding tow pack. In saying that it has plenty of power for towing though.
Old 26-09-2011, 06:30 PM   #42
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

and they are the correct towing figures for an xr6 turbo auto sedan. unbraked you can only tow 700 kg's.
Old 26-09-2011, 06:32 PM   #43
sexyxe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think the interior of a BA is nicer - dash doesn't look as cheap.

AU3 would be much more sorted than the new BA. Isn't that saying 'dont buy the first of a series' there for a reason? The AU is a victor in my book, especially as a towing mule.
Old 26-09-2011, 06:40 PM   #44
mickyyyy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I didnt know there strick rules about towing........

I still think the AU tick's all the boxes...
Old 26-09-2011, 06:43 PM   #45
Windsor342ci
The Experience...

Project car weighs around 1600-1700kgs give or take and according the the u-haul website there specs for there car carriers are 800kgs...... Interest...
Old 26-09-2011, 06:45 PM   #46
Windsor342ci
The Experience...

This being said looking at the AU tow capacity regardless of the assisting brake or not, it appears to be over!!!!
Old 26-09-2011, 07:02 PM   #47
SteveJH

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRYHSV
This being said looking at the AU tow capacity regardless of the assisting brake or not, it appears to be over!!!!
Both cars have the same tow restrictions (2300kg).

800+1600=2400.

This puts *that particular* Car/Trailer combo over the tow limit for both AU or BA. You could possibly find/purchase a trailer that weighed less then 600kg?

Edit: Or contact an engineer and ask what would be required for him/her to certify the car for a higher tow limit.
Old 26-09-2011, 07:04 PM   #48
Mayzie
skidz4kidz

car and car trailer will be fine for any of the auto falcons you wish to choose

a standard BF XR6 will tow just as good as the AU or BA and will probs be around the same sort of dollars and unmolested. could get leather premium sound and sunroof...lol. later model FTW.

Old 26-09-2011, 07:04 PM   #49
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

800 kilo trailer ... well built that sucker ,and el not sure on weight but thought they were in the 1500 range .
Old 26-09-2011, 07:08 PM   #50
SteveJH

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman_75
800 kilo trailer ... well built that sucker ,and el not sure on weight but thought they were in the 1500 range .
Carsales lists the kerb weight of an EL XR8 as 1598kg or so. CRYHSV's engine work would add a chunk to that, plus any options that the car has installed.

@Mayzie, it could probably pull it, but going over the legally allowed tow weight could have insurance issues let alone legal issues if he's pulled over and inspected. Note, all B series (and FG) auto's have the same 2300kg limit so going the newer model wouldn't help unfortunately.
Old 26-09-2011, 07:11 PM   #51
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Get the AU. Cause they are cool. BA turbo is cool, but not XR8 cool . I have nothing of any value to add aside from the word cool
Old 26-09-2011, 07:13 PM   #52
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

Yer just Googled. Base 1536 -1704 ltd , I would check trailer weight somehow as I have towed many a car on trailer with falcons and did it with ease .... next time o will do the math as I may have been illegal ( woops )
Old 26-09-2011, 07:19 PM   #53
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Have you considered a T series? Plenty of TE50s for $10-15k on carsales.
Old 26-09-2011, 07:28 PM   #54
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJH
Both cars have the same tow restrictions (2300kg).

800+1600=2400.

This puts *that particular* Car/Trailer combo over the tow limit for both AU or BA. You could possibly find/purchase a trailer that weighed less then 600kg?

Edit: Or contact an engineer and ask what would be required for him/her to certify the car for a higher tow limit.
where does it say that that the restriction is 2300 kg? like i said it is 1600 kg dont believe me read your cars user manual or ring ford. i have already investigated this when i purchased my xr6 turbo auto sedan.
Old 26-09-2011, 07:32 PM   #55
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

2300 kg is for non xr sedan such as an xt.
Old 26-09-2011, 07:52 PM   #56
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

light weight custom trailer gets around it...
Old 26-09-2011, 08:40 PM   #57
Donny
Tickford 220kw Windsor...

I just checked my user manual (Which has the correct matching details for my car, so is the original book), it states that with the HD tow pack for auto only, you can tow upto 2300kg with the Ford 2300kg gooseneck and load levelling kit.
I would also expect a similarly rated Hayman Reese will also allow those weights too..

Old 26-09-2011, 10:43 PM   #58
Mayzie
skidz4kidz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJH
@Mayzie, it could probably pull it, but going over the legally allowed tow weight could have insurance issues let alone legal issues if he's pulled over and inspected. Note, all B series (and FG) auto's have the same 2300kg limit so going the newer model wouldn't help unfortunately.
not saying a newer model has better tow rate.... just newer model would be better..... in general
I think 800kg for a car trailer is a little excessive myself and an el and trailer should come in under the 2300kg limit.
I myself would be going for a standard vehicle for a dedicated work horse...
I have an XR8 manual and in my door it states that 1600kg is my limit as I have a manual. In the towing mass guide that is handed out to all trailer dealers-boats/caravans etc this does state the turbo as 1600kg ATM and 160kg ball weight.
just trying to help with deciding which vehicle to go for..
maybe a poll would be a good idea

Old 26-09-2011, 11:08 PM   #59
Eaturbo
BUILT FORD TUFF

Having owned a BA2 Turbo and now a AU3 T3 i think the BA is a more complete package from a refinement point of view. The Au's interior just looks plain old. The 220kw V8 is at its end with power unless you throw money at it and the Turbo only at the start with 240kw. If it was me i'd go the BA turbo
Old 26-09-2011, 11:20 PM   #60
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

Im more than likely wrong here, but I always thought that IRS equipped AUs never were capable of "heavy duty" tow installations. Either way, I personally wouldnt use either of these cars for towing duties.

Other than that, being an AU fan, of course the AU3 XR8 is my recommendation. It may not be a neck-snapper, but its like the old ads said: "It's a Hell of a drive."
Closed Thread