Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-07-2006, 01:51 PM   #31
LTDHO
The one and only

A coke can is 120mm high where you can go 100.
Distance between top of rim to wheel arech will differ depending on rim diameter. Larger wheels doesn't make car sit lower.

Stick a 100mm wheel on the end of a broom handle und run under vehicle.

DRHEMI - if the car looks low they will check it.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2006, 01:54 PM   #32
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRNKPR
It didnt take em long to pull me over and ask if i thought my car was too low .
What a stupid question, I mean if you lowered it would you think it to be to low, I mean when I had my Ute it wasnt just low it was ken low it was so low I wouldnt even write my own pink slips, but when I was asaked by constable care if I "thought it was to low" my answer (under my breath) was "its not low enough"

And in answer to the orignal question is I was defected a few times and checked and let go a few times I learnt at that point the smart **** approch doesnt generaly get the best results
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2006, 06:33 PM   #33
EL_futuraistic

a coke can is prob a little high.... a cigarette pack is approx 90mm.... if u can drive over that you should be fine.
EL_futuraistic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2006, 06:40 PM   #34
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

i have superlows an 17" rims i don't get any looks :( .. think it's time to remove the resonator !!! and put a 3" from the muffler back and slap on a nice 4 or 5" dump pipe tip :P so cops can look at the fullysik tip when they're following me
kyro_02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2006, 06:41 PM   #35
FordFan86
meow

Atleast he didn't ask you to pop the hood eh Martin? ;)
"What's that thing there?"
"Not sure officer, it was there when I got the car, all I do is drive the thing "
FordFan86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2006, 06:51 PM   #36
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordFan86
Atleast he didn't ask you to pop the hood eh Martin? ;)
"What's that thing there?"
"Not sure officer, it was there when I got the car, all I do is drive the thing "
Lol... he didnt??? Allow me to re create another part of the conversation.

So, we'd been looking at the car and a defect had already been identified with the suspension. He'd popped his head in the window... aftermarket gauges (including boost guage and af meter on a-pillar). Looked at numberplate and the supercharged badge...

Officer: "What, you got a blower on it or something?"

4.9 EF Futura: "Yes"

Officer: "Mind if I have a look?"

4.9 EF Futura: "Not at all"

*I open driver's door, reach in, pop bonnet... walk around to the front of the car to raise it. Heart rate increased to approximately 160bpm... cardio workout with 4.9 EF Futura and the Fuzz*

Officer: "Nice"

4.9 EF Futura: "Yeah, goes alright"

Officer: "No worries - that's fine"

I guess he figured "to hell with it - regency will sort him out"....

Ps. Just dug up my initial thread about copping (pardon the pun?) the defect. The specifics are as follows. Please note these are ACTUAL DEFECTABLE MEASUREMENTS FOR AN EF FALCON IN SOUTH AUSTRALIA:

Front: Min required distance between centre of wheel and bottom of guard - 350mm.

4.9 EF Futura: 330mm (King springs superlows)

Rear: Min required distance between centre of wheel and bottom of guard - 340mm.

4.9 EF Futura: 320mm (King springs superlows)
Old 13-07-2006, 07:02 PM   #37
Walkinshaw
Two > One

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.9 EF Futura
Unfortunately our state authorities also decided to implement their own roadworthy requirements... none of which are enacted within legislation or their relevant regulations.
How does that stand up legaly?

Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2006, 07:07 PM   #38
Sprint_ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah mine sits about 97mm fron ground, have been pulled up before but never on the height issue, lt looks low but now too low, as in the wheels dont go under the arches etc
Sprint_ED is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2006, 07:13 PM   #39
4.9 EF Futura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkinshaw
How does that stand up legaly?
Reckon it'd be common law mate. I guess it has to be tested in court, if that's even possible. But when you're defected, you're not actually prosecuted in a court, so there's no recourse to defend the ruling or appeal a decision to a higher court. You'd actually have to launch legal action to question the legality of the ruling... which probably has to go through an administrative court or something? Sounds expensive.

Alternatively you could drive the defective vehicle until you got caught, which I imagine results in a prosecution in a magistrate's court.. at which time you could launch a defence based on the fact that the defect had no legal standing.

Then try convincing a magistrate who knows absolutely NOTHING about cars that you know better than Transport SA I think the legal term for that is "pushing shyte up hill" lol
Old 13-07-2006, 07:19 PM   #40
FordFan86
meow

AH well Martin, you'll get it all sorted
FordFan86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2006, 10:30 PM   #41
xf_vanner

I've been told by a friend who happens to be a vic police copper that if a cig packet fits underneath the car, its legal so i'll go by that
xf_vanner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2006, 10:33 PM   #42
AC
Saving for a Jet Car

Theres actually a new Merc or BMW that comes out standard hight of 96mm clearance.

Defectable out of the Dealership, I'll find out exactly which one it is tomorrow.
Cant remember for the life of me atm...

We were talking about it at work today... Convo long gone...
AC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2006, 10:41 PM   #43
Sprint_ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

but what cop is going to give a canary to a brand new merc or bmw
Sprint_ED is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2006, 11:42 PM   #44
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

a merc or bmw that is on the bumper stops :P?
Old 14-07-2006, 08:20 AM   #45
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.9 EF Futura
Unfortunately our state authorities also decided to implement their own roadworthy requirements... none of which are enacted within legislation or their relevant regulations.

Gotta love a harmonised national system. *cough*
Of course it is enacted, that is a significant piece of legisilation, each State calls it their own, because even though it is National Road Rules there are still some items that are particular to each State.

Here is the Victorian Road Rules

Here is a link to Victoria's Legislation
Old 14-07-2006, 08:41 AM   #46
Jeeepers
Merry Xmas To All

One thing to consider. 100mm is the legal limit, however, if your car is on that limit with only the driver and you have a couple of mates onboard. Then you are illegal.
Jeeepers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2006, 09:06 AM   #47
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by ea3
I've been told by a friend who happens to be a vic police copper that if a cig packet fits underneath the car, its legal so i'll go by that
Cig packet = 90mm
Leagal hight = 100mm.
So you will get defected.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2006, 10:59 AM   #48
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfin
One thing to consider. 100mm is the legal limit, however, if your car is on that limit with only the driver and you have a couple of mates onboard. Then you are illegal.
what if it's legal with only you in the car.. but your mates get in... and it's not legal height .. if a cop canaries you then you can pass it anyway... that's just a waste of time :P
Old 14-07-2006, 11:03 AM   #49
4.9 EF Futura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Trev
Of course it is enacted, that is a significant piece of legisilation, each State calls it their own, because even though it is National Road Rules there are still some items that are particular to each State.
I'm familiar with the legislative framework surrounding South Australian vehicle standards. They are addressed (to a very small extent) in the Road Traffic Act of 1961 but the key details are contained within the Regulations which support this Act.

Notably for this topic - the Road Traffic (Vehicle Standards) Rules 1999. This is the set of regulations which effects the ADR into the appropriate state legislative status:

http://www.parliament.sa.gov.au/Cata...999.235.un.htm

And for interested parties, I refer you to Section 73 - Ground Clearance. Several measures are provided to determine ground clearance but there is absolutely no reference to the "eyebrow" height for which i was issued a defect.
Old 14-07-2006, 11:09 AM   #50
NL Ghia

Here is a good site to find out how far you can actually lower your car legally in SA.

http://www.sasuspension.com.au/IB44-...%20Version.pdf

Probably the same book the police look at when they defect you.
NL Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2006, 01:13 PM   #51
Jeeepers
Merry Xmas To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyro_02
what if it's legal with only you in the car.. but your mates get in... and it's not legal height .. if a cop canaries you then you can pass it anyway... that's just a waste of time :P
Hmmmm?? Didn't I say something like that? The bottom line is, "It's illegal if it's lower than 100mm." Regardless of whether a sparrow landed on the roof, or 2 sumos got in, or your shopping's in the boot. If you get a pedantic policeman, who's not keen on the colour or shape of your ride, your cooked anyway. :1syellow1
Old 14-07-2006, 01:32 PM   #52
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

Quote:
Hmmmm?? Didn't I say something like that? The bottom line is, "It's illegal if it's lower than 100mm." Regardless of whether a sparrow landed on the roof, or 2 sumos got in, or your shopping's in the boot. If you get a pedantic policeman, who's not keen on the colour or shape of your ride, your cooked anyway. :1syellow1
EXACTLY - my mate got pulled over and got done by mr policeman as his car was too low so he raised it and off to vic roads he went

They passed it first off then they said hold on there is another test - they got two "extra large" vic road staff and got him and the vic road staff members to sit in his car - then measured it again and said BAD LUCK no pass - try again....

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2006, 08:18 PM   #53
AC
Saving for a Jet Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndOwner
Theres actually a new Merc or BMW that comes out standard hight of 96mm clearance.

Defectable out of the Dealership, I'll find out exactly which one it is tomorrow.
Cant remember for the life of me atm...

We were talking about it at work today... Convo long gone...

Just to quote myself again.

Apparently its was a mid to late 90's S-Class Merc
Anyone who can find the stats would be able to confirm it.
I just dont have time myself... :
AC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2006, 02:22 AM   #54
MrFlibbles
ill have a beer milkshake

Quote "100mm is the legal limit, however, if your car is on that limit with only the driver and you have a couple of mates onboard. Then you are illegal."
in Sa i have heard of the cops letting you unload the car before measuring it for hieght at least 3 times from friends...
I know also that in my home state of SA my car is at least 10mm below legal all round, but never been bothered by the police about it. I wont tell you guys about the cop that wanted to defect my car because the rocker cover was red....
1969 Isuzu Florian
1976 Chev luv (really its just a rebadged Isuzu!)
1980 Isuzu KB 4x4
MrFlibbles is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2006, 04:33 PM   #55
Jeeepers
Merry Xmas To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlibbles
Quote "100mm is the legal limit, however, if your car is on that limit with only the driver and you have a couple of mates onboard. Then you are illegal."
in Sa i have heard of the cops letting you unload the car before measuring it for hieght at least 3 times from friends...
I know also that in my home state of SA my car is at least 10mm below legal all round, but never been bothered by the police about it. I wont tell you guys about the cop that wanted to defect my car because the rocker cover was red....
Maybe we should get some of there feel good pills and hand them to other state law officers. :
Old 15-07-2006, 04:42 PM   #56
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

Quote:
Quote:
Than my reply:

what if it's legal with only you in the car.. but your mates get in... and it's not legal height .. if a cop canaries you then you can pass it anyway... that's just a waste of time, why do they want to waste your time :P

hope that clears it up !!

but it seem's your last reply has already cleared the height issue, but it might be different in different states, NT might have a different law than say.. vic :P
Old 15-07-2006, 04:53 PM   #57
Jeeepers
Merry Xmas To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyro_02
Than my reply:

what if it's legal with only you in the car.. but your mates get in... and it's not legal height .. if a cop canaries you then you can pass it anyway... that's just a waste of time, why do they want to waste your time :P

hope that clears it up !!

but it seem's your last reply has already cleared the height issue, but it might be different in different states, NT might have a different law than say.. vic :P
Yep it's all good. The only drama with canaries though, is the fact that you have to do a roadworthy to get it removed. That's not always easily achievable in a heavily modded ride.
My son recently got canaried for a cracked windscreen, but do you think a new screen got it roadworhty? Nope. Two orange globes for the rear tailights, excuse? Faded.. as well as a short list than came 2 a few hundred more than the screen.
Better not to get the dreaded bird to start with. :
Old 15-07-2006, 05:16 PM   #58
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not me, but I got a fine shortly after I sold my extremely low Mercedes to a jerk at a car yard. Turns out the car yard owner was driving it around and got defected. I showed the sale invoice to the RTA and the fine was forwarded to him...
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2006, 02:28 AM   #59
blownba
LPG Forum Moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For all his assistance helping members with their LPG issues. 

In Vic the reg is 100mm at the lowest point of anything under the vehicle with the vehicle FULLY LADEN ie. driver and passengers. This is 100cm in from each axle then there is another measurment and calculation for forward and rearward of the axles and anything in between the 100cms of each axle. I'll bring the sheet out of the roadworthy book home from work tommorow and post it here if you want it gives you the formula for the other measurment I can remember. :monkes:
blownba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2006, 02:38 AM   #60
blownba
LPG Forum Moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For all his assistance helping members with their LPG issues. 

S*** sorry, I didn't finish reading the whole thread before I posted that reply. I didn't mean to repeat what everyone has allready said. : :
blownba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post