Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-12-2009, 10:54 AM   #31
NC_Lane
NC Fairlane Ghia

NL is pretmy much my favourite model. Not a big fan of the rounded pajeros that came afterwords... with fuel, i will be happy with 12-15l/100kms..

Would also look at removing the last row of seats to get some more space.. Dont have kids yet.. Just a dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedjay
ive got two pajero's a 2002 3.2 DiD and a 2001 3.5 petrol and i would take the Diesel over the V6 anyday heaps more power than the V6 and less fuel.

and about the 3.5s being thirsty... i find it good compared to my XG falcon Van.

the early 3.5s (the DOHC ones) stay away from and the 4M41 3.2 DiD came out in
november 2002 and is a very different animal to the older 4M40 2.8 it replaced

that said were on our 5th pajero and are about to upgrade to a land cruiser
or patrol but only because the kids are getting older and the paj 3 row seat is only for small kids

id go for a NP DiD GLX dont get a GLS if your going off road the front flares and rear bar will last 5 seconds
-AU Falcon Wagon 4.0L Still Stock
-80 Series LandCruiser 4.5 LPG
NC_Lane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2009, 11:36 AM   #32
peachey80
Nothing stays standard !!

I think the Patrol would have to be the best value for money real 4WD.
For your budget and some coin left over for acc, I would go the GU2.8. Don't get the 3.0, as someone mentioned they are a ticking time bomb. The 2.8's do not have this issue. You can pick up a late 90's 2.8 for 10k-13k. They are cheap to run, a little underpowered low down in the revs, but there are mods you can do for increased performance. In even std form the patrols are a very capable 4wd'er off road, the 2.8's have a lighter gearbox, so they are not so truck like and are a bit more user freindly if the missus wanted to drive it around. Yes, they are a little more bumpy being a live from axel as opposed to the independant Pajero's but that is where the limiting capability of the Pajero come in offroad.
Take a 2.8 Patrol for a drive, I think you will be suprised.
I drive a 4.2 GU for my daily driver and I do about 400-500kms a week, and attack the offroad once a month. I love it !

Project Car : XA Coupe : XA Project
peachey80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2009, 11:41 AM   #33
BuckTooth
Feel the boost

Hi NC Lane.

Having read the other posts time for my to cents. My family have owned and run 2 80 series cruisers and a 100 series cruiser recently. The 80 series are a bloody good work horse, slightly box shaped and missing some comfort features, such as decent front seats, lol. But an 80 GXL will sufice with most options. All of our cruiser have been 4.5lt petrol autos. Fuel wise the 80 will normaly return about 12-16lt per 100km, and rarely changes if its empty or towing 4 ton. The 100 series GXL has got more options, and does have the comfort factor the 80 missed out on, also its fuel economy is much better. My mums 100 will do about 1200km on both the main and aux tanks (about 150lt). Cruisers are good in the sense that they are rugged, will handle the rough stuff, parts are reasonably cheap and easy to find. They can easily be lifted 3" with out having to change anything such as brake lines and diff angles. If ya could get one a GXL turbo diesel would be better. Both the 80's both saw constant use, mine did 310,000km with no spanners on it and my dads 80 did 450,000km with out a spanner. While these km's didn't hurt them you will find that most petrol cruisers blow a fraction of smoke on start up, dont stress its simply becasue they all have a habit of cooking the valve stem seals. Mums 100 still goes strong but you will find the petrol cruiers respond greatly to an aftermarket exhaust. If you do think about a diesel cruiser an aftermarket turbo would generally set you back about $3400 installed.

Hope this helps, Doug
Old 18-12-2009, 01:09 PM   #34
peachey80
Nothing stays standard !!

Mate, I would be very suprised, VERY suprised if you can get a 3 ton constant 4WD truck with a 4.5 PETROL, AUTO to return 12L/100kms.
The turbo deisels struggle to give that economy.
I agree, the cruisers are rugged and just as unbreakable as the patrols, but are over priced in my opinion.

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/...d=1257359C3BB7
Good value IMO....

Project Car : XA Coupe : XA Project

Last edited by peachey80; 18-12-2009 at 01:21 PM.
peachey80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2009, 01:24 PM   #35
xygt01
XY GT (ROD)

first choice would be and 80 series cruiser
then a nissan patrol
i curuntly have a 80 series and swear buy it on and off the road
the 80 series would be the cheaper option over a gu patrol there are quite a few 80s about on evel bay ect for around the 13000 to 15000 mark desiel 2 inch lift and off road tires
the 4500 petrols are a bit more thirsty but i wouldnt say it was any more thirsty on gas then my v8 au fairmont was i too would say i get around 12L/100kms on the open road bit more round town with my 80-series on petroll but i run mine on gas most of the time and even then its still very good on fuel
overall there a very capable offroader and still drive nice on the road

and there NOT 3 tone there only 2 just over with accesaries

Last edited by xygt01; 18-12-2009 at 01:37 PM.
xygt01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2009, 02:23 PM   #36
NC_Lane
NC Fairlane Ghia

very nice.. unfortunately in in NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachey80
Mate, I would be very suprised, VERY suprised if you can get a 3 ton constant 4WD truck with a 4.5 PETROL, AUTO to return 12L/100kms.
The turbo deisels struggle to give that economy.
I agree, the cruisers are rugged and just as unbreakable as the patrols, but are over priced in my opinion.

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/...d=1257359C3BB7
Good value IMO....
Old 18-12-2009, 02:23 PM   #37
NC_Lane
NC Fairlane Ghia

I will try and go drive a patrol and see how it is...
Old 19-12-2009, 01:46 AM   #38
xw_beast

Hey mate, is the patrol/cruiser size the size you are after? Or will something a bit smaller fit the bill. I have 1 2003 Mitsubishi Challenger and I really cant complain about it, paid 15k and its on gas so it pays for itself. Otherwise for 20k you can get the super poverty pack 100 series cruiser with 1HZ engine in manual. Pretty good buying if you ask me, but they really are poverty pack, vinyl everything.
xw_beast is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2009, 09:57 AM   #39
Cabbage
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had a 2002 Pajero Exceed for about three years, great car, didn't drive like a big 4 wheel drive felt more like a car in handling when compared to say a Landcruiser which feel big. I had the V6 3.5 litre engine, most of my driving was done in and around Sydney and I'd be lying if I said it wasn't thirsty. If I were going to buy another I think I would get the diesel. Having said that I sold the Pajero to my parents who drive it in the country and they are pretty happy with the mileage. From memory I would be lucky to get too much over 350-400kms out of a 90 litre (i think) tank. On the highway I would get over 600km. The city driving was very stop start though.
I didn't take it off road alot but if you want a 4wd but don't want the feel of a big 4 wheel drive go the Pajero. The Pajero has a great feel, very direct steering. The only other thing was the 90,000km service was an expensive one but when compared to a range rover I think it would compare favourably.

Hope this helps
Cabbage is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2009, 11:44 AM   #40
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

IMO wouldnt touch anything other than PATROL or LANDCRUISER
yes i do have a patrol swear by them landcruisers are good but over rated and u pay extra cause its a toyota
patrol is just as good if not as good as landcruiser and better value
i just bought a 1997 4.2 efi auto (wifes car)nissan patrol (last of the gqs)fully serviced one owner from new absolutely immaculate and paid just over 10k
if your goin patrol stay away from the 2.8 turbo(gq and gu) and the 3 l turbo(gu)
also just keep in mind that they are heavy cars so u would want the larger optioned motor (4.2l or 4.5l)
keep in mind also prices of services and parts,buying something not so common will cost u more in these areas
as for above 12l/100 klms in an 80 series landcruiser(petrol)not in this life time
our 1997 patrol(4.2l petrol auto)$60 for 250klm (mostly highway)
our 1986 patrol(3.3 diesel manual)$50 for 250klm(mostly highway)
4WD and ECONOMY doesnt happen
good luck with your purchase
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2009, 04:22 PM   #41
4.0i_SiX
SiX_iN_a_RoW

Hey mate, as an Avid 4x4er with a fair bit of experience around different trucks ( all my mates drive something from one manufacturer to the next ) and a motor mechanic I would say.

Top of the list, post oct 92 80 series Landcruiser FACTORY turbo diesel ( make sure engine is 1HD-T, not 1HZ with aftermarket turbo ) in either Auto or manual. Auto drives better especially in the constant 4wd models as you can get a bit of backlash in the manuals. This is easily fixed with a part time kit. The pre oct 92 models has smaller brakes, which can be upgraded to the later model and single synchro gearbox whereas the later models had a revised triple synchro box to help with the overall clunky gear changes that cruisers are known for. They drive great onroad, with plenty of power and good economy. Heaps of room inside, well built and great offroad

Next on the list would be the 4.2 Patrol GQ or GU. The petrols are thirsty but reliable and make good power, the diesels are slow unless you get the turbo model ( recommended ) Theyre tough as nails, not quite as well built as the toyota, they tend to rattle and squeak more. The GQ is TINY inside for a big 4x4, the GU has much more room. Still suffers from poor rear leg room though.

Theyre both solid axle ( coil springs front and rear ) the Patrol has a better rear LSD from factory, The pajero, prado, delica have nothing over them offroad at all. IFS front end limits wheel travel to the point of being quite scary to drive over tough tracks. They lift wheels far more easily than a coil sprung truck.
Old 19-12-2009, 08:09 PM   #42
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wouldn't touch a Range Rover with a 10 foot pole, having always liked them since I was a kid, I bought a 1996 4.6, the love affair only lasted the first few hours and it was sold three weeks later. Never took it off road as I put it on the market the week after I bought it, but if all the trick technology is working they'd be pretty good, especially with some decent tyres.

But about this 'legendary' Toyota durability, which diesel in the 80 series needs the big end bearings replaced every 100k?
smoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2009, 08:28 PM   #43
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.0i_SiX
Hey mate, as an Avid 4x4er with a fair bit of experience around different trucks ( all my mates drive something from one manufacturer to the next ) and a motor mechanic I would say.

Top of the list, post oct 92 80 series Landcruiser FACTORY turbo diesel ( make sure engine is 1HD-T, not 1HZ with aftermarket turbo ) in either Auto or manual. Auto drives better especially in the constant 4wd models as you can get a bit of backlash in the manuals. This is easily fixed with a part time kit. The pre oct 92 models has smaller brakes, which can be upgraded to the later model and single synchro gearbox whereas the later models had a revised triple synchro box to help with the overall clunky gear changes that cruisers are known for. They drive great onroad, with plenty of power and good economy. Heaps of room inside, well built and great offroad

Next on the list would be the 4.2 Patrol GQ or GU. The petrols are thirsty but reliable and make good power, the diesels are slow unless you get the turbo model ( recommended ) Theyre tough as nails, not quite as well built as the toyota, they tend to rattle and squeak more. The GQ is TINY inside for a big 4x4, the GU has much more room. Still suffers from poor rear leg room though.

Theyre both solid axle ( coil springs front and rear ) the Patrol has a better rear LSD from factory, The pajero, prado, delica have nothing over them offroad at all. IFS front end limits wheel travel to the point of being quite scary to drive over tough tracks. They lift wheels far more easily than a coil sprung truck.
Here's a man who know his 4wd's....spot on mate couldn't have said it better myself and half my business is involved with many 4wd specialst around the country.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2009, 09:04 PM   #44
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

If you want something a little smaller maybe a Nissan Pathfinder/Terrano, or a Prado? i have a Pathfinder, its a d21 so its very old school, but it goes most places a Cruiser/Patrol will, some spots it does easier casue of its lighter weight and shorter wheel base
Old 19-12-2009, 09:05 PM   #45
4.0i_SiX
SiX_iN_a_RoW

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoo
Wouldn't touch a Range Rover with a 10 foot pole, having always liked them since I was a kid, I bought a 1996 4.6, the love affair only lasted the first few hours and it was sold three weeks later. Never took it off road as I put it on the market the week after I bought it, but if all the trick technology is working they'd be pretty good, especially with some decent tyres.

But about this 'legendary' Toyota durability, which diesel in the 80 series needs the big end bearings replaced every 100k?

The early 1HD-T engines were known to have issues with Big end bearings. Toyota had 2 different suppliers for the shells, one was good, one was bad. The coating flaked off prematurely and wore down causing damage to the crankshaft if left long enough. Toyota is thought to have replaced most problem shells under warranty, the ones that were missed would have either been fixed independantly or had new crankshafts by now. Its a good idea to budget for a big end change when buying a higher k 1HD-T powered cruiser. Its a pretty easy job on these trucks.
Once they have been done, they wont need doing in the next 100,000k's. Most trucks had the issue around 100,000k's which is why some people think they need doing at this interval

My 80 is powered by the 1HZ, its a slow but reliable engine. However no engine is without its faults. The 1hz is known for cracking the cylinder head, particularly around the pre combustion chambers. Turbo charging these engines just makes this happen faster, which is why I dont recommend getting an aftermarket turbo 80
Old 19-12-2009, 10:03 PM   #46
gtnut

Like some of the other people have said, Patrol drive train stronger than anything on the market,but only 4.2 turbo deisel.
In the cruisers the pick are the multivalve deisels in the 80,series,have known a few people that traded in 80,series on the 100,series when they came out and where that disapointed in them that they traded back to the 80 series within 12 months
Have had hilux,great for two people,3ltr pajero never let me down and very family freindly,80 series with the lot,would leave pajero behind,but only in the really hard going because twin diff locks,but doesnt have drink holders and things that make it a bit easer when dragging kids around
You only have to go out west and look out the front of any country pub at happy hour and it tells the story mainly Toyota a few Patrols and one or two other brands and they are mainly tourists 4wd,s.
Mainly because robustness ,servicing,parts availability when out of town

Paul Callaghan
Richmond
NSW
gtnut is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2009, 12:37 AM   #47
NC_Lane
NC Fairlane Ghia

Thanks for the advice all... I know what to look for and stay clear of.

i guess th ultimate decision is how much offroad use it will see.

Looks like a Paj for mainly daily dutes and a Cruiser/Patrol for more offroad work..

I will be replacing either my AU wagon, which does alot of kays, or my LTD which is just driven to the station...

Options would be replace wagon with a Paj
or Replace LTD with a Cruiser/Patol..

Choices.. Choices... Choices.....
Old 20-12-2009, 02:45 AM   #48
xygt01
XY GT (ROD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerida67
IMO
as for above 12l/100 klms in an 80 series landcruiser(petrol)not in this life time

hi there i didnt make the statment about the 12l/to 100

but i would have to say i would get round that on a trip in my 80 series so
do you want to put your money where you mouth is
Old 20-12-2009, 09:30 AM   #49
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ill supply the fuel !!!!
12 litres of petrol for your
80 series land cruiser (4.5l petrol)
and ill see how many times u can get 100 klms travelled
must be on petrol not gas
mates 80 series turbo diesel cant get anywhere near that
and they dont drink no where near the amount of fuel the petrols do
BUT if yours does get that it would be the only one,if it is that CHEAP to run why does it have LPG ?????
Old 20-12-2009, 12:27 PM   #50
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.0i_SiX

Great post. So if you want to do mainly four wheel driving , theres your answer above. But if it's more the other way around and you don't want to feel like your driving a truck, Pajero or Prado............
Old 20-12-2009, 05:10 PM   #51
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

xygt01,
the post is about reccomendations about a 4x4
if your 80 series(land cruiser ) gets 12l/per 100 klms (on petrol)travelled then every man and his dog would buy one !!!!!
but unfortuately this is not the case (if your does ,i still doubt it),u cannot compare a trip to general running around
i am giving actually giving facts as per $$$ /klms travelled (read post above)re nissan patrols(patrols are not constant 4x4 as are landcruiser,so the toyota would be dearer)
but if u still think that your 80 series LANDCRUISER gets 12l/100 klm travelled (on petrol)on a day to day bases ????????
YES i am ready to put my money where my mouth is !!!!!!!!
start saving !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 20-12-2009, 08:26 PM   #52
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

Theres no way in the world an 80series petrol cruiser gets 12L/100ks!, you would be lucky to get any big diesel to do that!!, let alone a thirsty petrol!, i swear sometimes people make stupid things up in there head lol! :
Old 20-12-2009, 08:29 PM   #53
Jeddak
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep Id agree with that ...except that the diesel cruisers can run real cheaply,

that is ..if you keep them under 1ookmh.preferably no more than 95perkph!!
O5 / 05 SX TS RWD Winter White, Driving Lights, Flaps, Racks, Turbo Grille, Ghia Bumper Trims and tailgate chrome , Colour Coded Mirrors,Tint,h/d towbar and chrome tow ball ,Sy chrome Beltline molds , leather and chrome shifter and Ghia Leather bound steering wheel
Stainless steel number plate frames and shifter quadrant, leather arm rest
All reconditioned SZ front suspension now in place
Chrome door pull inserts with chrome inner latch handles done
Jeddak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2009, 08:36 PM   #54
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

Jeddak is right, i was on bit of a rant up there, if you drive a big diesel and dont use your right foot to heavily you will get good economy, also i've driven a 2.8ltr TD patrol and it was an excellent motor, bit sluggish off the line but got up and moved once the turbo kicked in, they are very good on the juice
Old 20-12-2009, 09:50 PM   #55
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i hear u guys
it annoys me that people come up with this BS
i have had 4x4s for over 15+ years and have never heard such rubbish(12l/100klm)
people need to understant 4x4s and economy dont mix
they are around 2.5-3 tonne and the aero dynamics of a brick how are they economical

xygt01 i have your money here when u r ready !!!!!!!!!!!
Old 21-12-2009, 09:30 AM   #56
4.0i_SiX
SiX_iN_a_RoW

My 1hz diesel 80 series with extractors, 2.5" exhaust, 33" mud tyres, fully loaded with 4 people on board returned 12.7L per 100 on a recent trip. Around town it uses around the same, but that is unloaded. I have never seen a petrol come anywhere near this figure. My mates used to use 22L/100 in the bush.
Old 21-12-2009, 02:15 PM   #57
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerida67
i hear u guys
it annoys me that people come up with this BS
i have had 4x4s for over 15+ years and have never heard such rubbish(12l/100klm)
people need to understant 4x4s and economy dont mix
they are around 2.5-3 tonne and the aero dynamics of a brick how are they economical

xygt01 i have your money here when u r ready !!!!!!!!!!!
I used to drive a Chevy Silverado 4x4 5.3L V8, the best I got was about 13.5L/100 on the freeway - but that is sitting on about 80mph (130km/h). I am sure sitting at 100-110, it would have been better.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2010, 09:42 PM   #58
NC_Lane
NC Fairlane Ghia

Got back yesterday from overseas and went car hunting today..

Put down a deposit on a 94 Landcruiser GXL subjected to RACV inspection....

its a 4.5L Manual Dual fuel with dual petrol tanks, 315,000 ks,

Anything I should be looking out for on this? I assume I will need to put in a new timing belt

Also I will need to get new tyres on it, and the dealer is happy for me to pay the difference to get what I want. What will be a good option? BF All terrain?
Old 06-01-2010, 06:40 AM   #59
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah BFG A/Ts are good, I hear lots of good about Toyo A/Ts too, so worth pricing, bear in mind, you will probably get longer life out of BFGs, so see what the price difference is, and weigh it up with the life expectancy of both.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2010, 11:04 AM   #60
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

bridgestone desert duallers are pretty good also
just remember that the landcruisers are constant 4 wheel drive,the front diff is always active,not like nissan patrols where we can drive 2wd or 4wd,hence why the landcruiser likes a drink
for a 1994 land cruisers with that many ks ,shouldnt cost you an arm and a leg
the early 80 series landcruisers went through brake pads alot (again depending how you drive them)make sure ALL the brakes are fine
dont trust the car yard report,get an independant report done on the car could save you lotsa $$$ down the track,some reports are that thorough they can tell the thickness of the paint work
IMO id be buying a turbo diesel,especially if towing they walk all over the 4.5 petrol
timing belts usually get done every 100,000ks
good luck with purchase,they are a good 4x4