Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 31-07-2005, 11:13 AM   #31
BJ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliewool
Had my normal Four-n-Twenty pie & a (plastic) bottle of Fanta for morning tea this morning, and it got me thinking! ...
How stuff has gone downhill so much... I mean A Four-n-Twenty yrs ago came in a foil tray, with fresh tasty pastry & full of MEAT... NOW, it's a teeth-breakin, burnt bottomed, "container", half full of some brown slop!.. AND the Fanta!!... Remember when Fanta came in a GLASS bottle (with the rings around it) AND had a real orange "zing" to it? Todays Fanta has NO resemblance to the original!... COKE's also changed, has no "bite" to it whatsoever anymore.
Another that comes to mind is the Western Wagon wheel... Remember when they were about 6inches in diameter and 3/4 of an inch thick (and were 10c)...you struggled to eat a whole one?.. Check the size now!
The new Maccas buns are anothery... A quarterpounder was "bland" enough before, try one nowadays...WHAT did they do to the damn buns??
Choc coated icecreams!.. Remember the original Heart, or even the good old Two-in-One?.. The absolute smoothest vanilla icecream & Chocolate that TASTED like chocolate!....
Remember when Fanta was made buy Tarax not coke and it was Adms pies that came in the foil tray not the four-n-twentys. Sunnt boys are still around but thtey are $1.00. Frys bars now there was a choco bar and the good old snot block (vanilla slice) they were 3" thick and full of real cream and you dam near choked on the icing sugar. Ahh the good old days. Am i showing my age now.
BJ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2005, 12:32 PM   #32
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CH7472
Remember when Fanta was made buy Tarax not coke and it was Adms pies that came in the foil tray not the four-n-twentys. Sunnt boys are still around but thtey are $1.00. Frys bars now there was a choco bar and the good old snot block (vanilla slice) they were 3" thick and full of real cream and you dam near choked on the icing sugar. Ahh the good old days. Am i showing my age now.

Four-n-Twenty DEFINATELY came in Foil trays early days! They were made in Union Rd Ascot Vale along with Five-n-Twenty orange drinks (similar to a sunnyboy, only a different shaped container) Adams pies were oval, and yes also in a foil tray, as were Noon pies!
Remember Sunnyboys, Razz's, Glugs, All great frozen
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2005, 04:02 PM   #33
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Meh, I'm not fussy. At the moment I buy the 55c Savings pies from Coles for my lunch breaks and savour the lukewarm pasty centre of my unsuccessfully microwaved pies. If you can ingest it, it's food :P
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2005, 10:27 AM   #34
NAK302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghia5L
Meh, I'm not fussy. At the moment I buy the 55c Savings pies from Coles for my lunch breaks and savour the lukewarm pasty centre of my unsuccessfully microwaved pies. If you can ingest it, it's food :P
you really hate your taste buds with a passion don't you? :
NAK302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2005, 11:19 AM   #35
neb
hibernating

yes alot of food has gone downhill... but theres alot of other things... ROADS for one.. how hard is it to make a road that actually stays smooth, so many crap roads with potholes or are just really bumpy... including the freeways.
neb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2005, 11:24 AM   #36
damo351

Quote:
Originally Posted by neb
yes alot of food has gone downhill... but theres alot of other things... ROADS for one.. how hard is it to make a road that actually stays smooth, so many crap roads with potholes or are just really bumpy... including the freeways.
true, very true :
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2005, 02:27 PM   #37
bindi
Redhead extraordinaire...

Quote:
Originally Posted by neb
Ah yeah... over the weekend just gone, hubby and I cruised up to Pacific Palms near Forster, NSW for a well-earned and totally needed holiday.

Now the Great Western Hwy going from Sydney, through the Blue Mountains, and out west (hence the name lol) is getting in better and better shape with the work they are doing (finally!).

The end of the F3 going from Sydney and through the Central Coast changes to the Pacific Hwy just past Newcastle. Fine at first, then it's a one-laned death trap. Off the main road going towards Forster was worse, there were bumps and lumps, corners that are unmarked and suddenly appear out of nowhere, and barely any road markings - these are major roads... then they wonder why the area's a Black Spot and everyone has accidents.

In the mountains they have decent roads but the speed limits are super low (frustrating). On the coast they have shyte roads that will kill you if you don't know where you are going and the speed limits are very high (deathly).

I just don't get it.

Anyway! The topic at hand... yes, my father (who has always done the food shopping in our house) whinges to me because a) he's a Pom and b) things are getting smaller but we're being charged the same or more for them. EG, of all things, toilet paper. They used to come in 9 roll packs, they changed it to 8 rolls and upped it 50c a packet.

Taste... I am starting to really live up to my hippie label on this forum but I am noticing that fruit and veg are getting more bland. Organic at least you get some flavour.

When I was a carnivore, part of my decision a cpl of years ago to become veggo was because meat was losing its flavour. Chicken is especially bland, even my kids are complaining about it (NO IT'S NOT MY COOKING!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_waity
Oh, and another surefire symptom will be the Falcon badge at the back.
bindi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2005, 02:44 PM   #38
Lightning Strike GT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What about some food names had to be changed all because of PC (Political Correctnes)
Remember the Golliwog biscuts now called Scalliwags , the candy cigarettes called Fags now called Fads , the chocolate jelly babies called Chocco's now called Chicco's and there will be a few more out there I can not think of and it amazing they have not culled the Streets Golden Gaytime ice cream as yet
And an 2019 MD Mondeo Trend Wagon in Platinum White
Lightning Strike GT is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2005, 02:47 PM   #39
NAK302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU XR8
What about some food names had to be changed all because of PC (Political Correctnes)
Remember the Golliwog biscuts now called Scalliwags , the candy cigarettes called Fags now called Fads , the chocolate jelly babies called Chocco's now called Chicco's and there will be a few more out there I can not think of and it amazing they have not culled the Streets Golden Gaytime ice cream as yet
sad isn't it. coon cheese anyone?
NAK302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2005, 03:47 PM   #40
WeirdEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvinmyEB
Anyone tasted a chicken burger with bacon and cheese from KFC lately? HELLO TASTE????
Ingredient analysis (stop reading if you've just eaten one):

Bun: Padded with soy flour and sugar.

Chicken Burger: Ah, my favourite. "Reclaimed" chicken paded with fat and soy. Recipe for "reclaimed" chicken - take all of the bones and guts and skin and stuff left over after the meat has been trimmed off and bung it in a blender until it's nice and smooth. Pad out with fat and soy to "restore" the texture, roll in soy breadcrumbs and freeze. Cook from frozen otherwise it'll lose its shape.

Bacon: Pig meat with "smoke" flavour, soaked in a soy brine to make it "moist and plump". Ignore the goop that oozes out when cooked.

Cheese: Hmm. There's probably some cheese in there somewhere amongst the soy padding and "flavouring".

Lot's of soy in there because it's cheap and takes on the flavour of the rest of the ingredients. Trouble is there's not enough ingredients to provide the flavour.

No, I'm not a food scientist and I haven't actually done an analysis of what's in the chicken burger but the above is a list of things we've discovered that "food" manufacturers do, so chances are good that I've got the ingredients pretty close.
:
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2005, 03:55 PM   #41
Steffo
LPG > You

Hungry Jacks still has some big burgers.. Double Whopper and Aussie Burger are of decent size. And for us lucky NSW people (Sydney mainly) there's Oporto. Big Norm... mmm.. and it actually is big.

But yes, as time moves forward, things like this change, and its not a good change alot of the time.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2005, 04:05 PM   #42
NC 5ltr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nak351
i remember when bottles of bourbon were 750ml. then all of a sudden they were 700ml with the same price as the bigger one.
but then if i invested in JB's i'd expect a healthy return and wouldn't mind how it came.
same with beer,when tooheys and the like were %5 alcamahole then went to 4.6% overnight
NC 5ltr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2005, 04:21 PM   #43
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC 5ltr
same with beer,when tooheys and the like were %5 alcamahole then went to 4.6% overnight
Now with 10% less Cane Toad!

Tooheys is an experiement from Sir Jo, he tried to turn water into wine but failed, instead turning water into weak insipid p i s s

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Sourbastard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2005, 04:22 PM   #44
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Damn it beer should be at least 8% i reckon. I was talkn to some guy from Poland and he reckons the beer there is up to 11% or more. Lol "alcamahole" i havent used that word since high school so brought back a few convos ive had hehe.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2005, 04:22 PM   #45
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
YESS.... Al the Carlton beers except VB & Crown also went from 4.9% to 4.5 or 6 overnite!

Hungry Jacks still has some big burgers.. Double Whopper and Aussie Burger are of decent size. And for us lucky NSW people (Sydney mainly) there's Oporto. Big Norm... mmm.. and it actually is big.

Speaking of great burgers!... Is Kermonds in Warrnambool still there?... Now THERE IS a burger icon... (how long have they been going?)
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
Old 01-08-2005, 04:26 PM   #46
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Speaking of burgers one of our old friends has some shop somwhere (cant remember) Well back when i was a fat f**k i could eat anythin that was given to and nothing was big enough. Well i can tell you this burger i could only eat about half of it. Nothing has topped it and i doubt i ever will. This thing could of easily been the size of my head lol.
Old 01-08-2005, 04:29 PM   #47
NC 5ltr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
Now with 10% less Cane Toad!

Tooheys is an experiement from Sir Jo, he tried to turn water into wine but failed, instead turning water into weak insipid p i s s
i assume you dont like tooheys?

so what do you drink then?
Old 01-08-2005, 04:31 PM   #48
Heeno
Formally knowen as EBus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo

But yes, as time moves forward, things like this change, and its not a good change alot of the time.
god i love hungry jacks, they actually use real lettice, tomato, cheese (im also thinking even the beef is real) unlike macca's who microwave their feeds (seen it with my own two eyes, hence the reason i h8 maccas).

Oporto, is bliss, huge burgers and always gives me a pot bellie at the end of every meal

Changes: 5 spd manual
Extractors, 2.5in exhaust
AMG Quake 17's w/ maxxis rubba
Lovelle superlows
Cheap a55 Pod Filter

Bike: CR250R 05 :evil3:
Heeno is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2005, 04:31 PM   #49
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Mostly my own homebrew, which has the Casper© seal of drunken approval.

"Dish sh1t is great dave! Gimme Anudder!"

Out in the pubs though, I almost always go a coopers.

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Sourbastard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2005, 04:36 PM   #50
NC 5ltr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heeno
god i love hungry jacks, they actually use real lettice, tomato, cheese (im also thinking even the beef is real) unlike macca's who microwave their feeds (seen it with my own two eyes, hence the reason i h8 maccas).

Oporto, is bliss, huge burgers and always gives me a pot bellie at the end of every meal
give me subway anyday.

as for hungry jacks there bacon deluxe burgers seem to have gotten smaller or my appetite has gotton bigger :
Old 01-08-2005, 04:42 PM   #51
Heeno
Formally knowen as EBus

Quote:
bacon deluxe burgers seem to have gotten smaller
agree, i love them so much but there so small, so i buy 2 :

Changes: 5 spd manual
Extractors, 2.5in exhaust
AMG Quake 17's w/ maxxis rubba
Lovelle superlows
Cheap a55 Pod Filter

Bike: CR250R 05 :evil3:
Heeno is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2005, 04:43 PM   #52
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Subway? You got to be kiddin me. Its the biggest rip off. My mate bought me one and i was like WTF where is all the meat. Its like Chinese food. Your paying a fortune for mostly veggies lol. Give me a steak anyday when offered a Sub from Subway.
Old 01-08-2005, 04:44 PM   #53
NC 5ltr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
Subway? You got to be kiddin me. Its the biggest rip off. My mate bought me one and i was like WTF where is all the meat. Its like Chinese food. Your paying a fortune for mostly veggies lol. Give me a steak anyday when offered a Sub from Subway.
maybe your mate is a vegan ,as you choose wat goes on your sub.
Old 01-08-2005, 04:47 PM   #54
Shonky
my other ride is the bus.

when I get home tonight I will scan and post an article out of readers digest about an 8 odd kilo burger. These things are F***ing awesome!

The first person ever to eat one of these within a three hour time period, was a 45kg female uni student... Whoa...

+ Lots of Land Rovers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sourbastard
Edelbrock.... not Peter Brock. Theres a world of difference. For a start my heads have much less gum tree in them.
Shonky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2005, 05:12 PM   #55
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young 'un
when I get home tonight I will scan and post an article out of readers digest about an 8 odd kilo burger. These things are F***ing awesome!

The first person ever to eat one of these within a three hour time period, was a 45kg female uni student... Whoa...

Was THIS the one, Young 'un?? I think I remember another post yonks ago on here about it?

http://money.cnn.com/2005/05/03/pf/biggest_burger/
Old 01-08-2005, 05:24 PM   #56
aimzes
...fairly odd

subway... maaaate i refuse to buy it simply because that f-wit jarrod d**k on the ads. southpark ripped him last week.
Old 01-08-2005, 06:11 PM   #57
Quasi
Boss 290 BA GT Goodness

Music.
The Toy - 03 BA GT In 'Venom', Silver BF Stripe Kit, Non-Premium Sound, Cloth Trim, Auto, 19" Staggered Vertini, Custom Exhaust, Roof DVD

Member of the FPV & XR Owners Club of ACT

Web Links To Check Out

Shannons Club Garage

Facebook Photo Albums
Quasi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2005, 07:39 PM   #58
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasi
Music.
Oh how that's gone downhill! I can't stand the crap my generation listens to. I've got to be one of the only 17 year olds who hates everything 'modern.' In fact, I'm not sure I've got a favourite song that's newer then something 1980s.. and most of my stuff is 1970s (Led Zeppelin = favourite band).
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2005, 09:20 PM   #59
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How about Pink Floyd,Deep Purple,Crow,Steppen Wolf,Canned Heat...etc.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2005, 09:25 PM   #60
Velociraptor
Digging for avatar

Rock slides.