Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 12-06-2007, 06:09 PM   #31
holmsy
Banned

where do they measure the Db from?
i would assume there has to be a set distance and location for the reader?
holmsy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2007, 06:11 PM   #32
crannersEL
Banned

It needs to be about 500mm from where the exhaust exits the car, the test also needs to be done outside so that the tester doesnt get distracted with other sounds. Haha i read a 25 page document on how they do it and the rules lmao
crannersEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2007, 06:19 PM   #33
SDKC
To punish and enslave

Where is the fine everybody is talking about?
SDKC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2007, 06:27 PM   #34
crannersEL
Banned

There is no fine, unless you dont produce the document you recieve once your exhaust has been checked and approved to the epa office in the city. The fine if you do not submit the paperwork by the date given is $534
Old 12-06-2007, 06:27 PM   #35
bomber
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by crannersEL
It needs to be about 500mm from where the exhaust exits the car, the test also needs to be done outside so that the tester doesnt get distracted with other sounds. Haha i read a 25 page document on how they do it and the rules lmao
The meter is set up around 500mm and on 45deg angle away from the tip when they take the reading.
bomber is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2007, 06:33 PM   #36
SDKC
To punish and enslave

Quote:
There is no fine, unless you dont produce the document you recieve once your exhaust has been checked and approved to the epa office in the city. The fine if you do not submit the paperwork by the date given is $534
This I already know, it's just that (they way I'm interpreting) most of the other posters in this thread think that you have already been sent a fine.
SDKC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2007, 06:36 PM   #37
crannersEL
Banned

Nope no official fine, just i goto fix whats classified as "un-roadworthy" on my car which is said to be my exhaust note. Prob lucky they didnt pull me over at the time because they might have got me for other things etc
Old 12-06-2007, 07:04 PM   #38
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

damn paul i hope all goes well with the test when you get it done

is the sound of your car still quieter than mine it has been a long time since i have heard yours .... if so i think i need to be carefull

good luck again with the test

jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2007, 07:06 PM   #39
snypereb
[EBGLT]

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

You do live in a highly police patrolled area Paul doesnt surprise me one bit. Dam those people who ring in look for old people who live next door to you or up the road it would probably be them.

Become an E-Series Owners Club Member Today!
http://eseries.com.au/index.php/membership/
snypereb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2007, 07:08 PM   #40
crannersEL
Banned

Yeah i read that on the back of the notice, that members of the public can also dob you in. But in this case it was a police officer in the Heathmont area
Old 12-06-2007, 07:54 PM   #41
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Whats your back window looking like these days? Just out of curiosity. Mightn't be helping your case around there then.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2007, 07:55 PM   #42
crannersEL
Banned

Not like it used too...lol
Old 12-06-2007, 08:28 PM   #43
bentles
Banned

im surprised i havent been done yet, around a month and a bit now since i had my resi removed (seems about 2x louder haha) and a manual in it now so its revved more....

guess ive jinxed it now, not long till im done aye... haha
bentles is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2007, 10:13 PM   #44
EBTom
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How much would one expect to pay to have a resonator fitted to an existing straight through rear section? I currently only have a single muffler as well as extractors which makes for a helluvalot of noise at high rpm. Might be worthwhile to try and dodge unwanted attention although ive driven past numerous cops without any hassles.

Former Rides:
EB1 FAIRMONT – 4.0, A4, FULL EXHAUST, WADE 1004, TIP J3, 18” BA XR8’S, SUPERLOWS, SPRINT KIT,
AU1 FAIRMONT GHIA – 5.0, A4, 3" CATBACK, 20" VERSUS WRAITH, ULTRALOWS, TICKFORD & MOMO GOODIES
EBTom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2007, 10:57 PM   #45
bArNsY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Pre 1st Nov 1983 96dB(A)
Post 1st Nov 1983 90 dB(A)

Here is a link to epa victoria and what is and isn't acceptable in our lovely state! click here (pdf)
2004 BA MkII XR6 Turbo

2009 G6E Turbo (277.2rwkw @ Tuned at Bullet Performance Racing)
2007 Audi S5 4.2L V8 manual (Supersprint exhaust, MMI 3G+ retrofit)

The New: 2015 SZ MkII Territory Titanium Petrol RWD (With Sync 3 Upgrade)

Other Road Toys

Silver Surfer
2014 S-Works Roubaix SL4 road bike with Roval Rapide CLX 40 wheelset

The Adventurer!
2023 TREK Domane SL 7 AXS Gen 4
bArNsY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2007, 11:07 PM   #46
Sundeep
Banned

What road were you spotted on?

Sundeep
Sundeep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2007, 11:11 PM   #47
The Goodz
E-Series Firemaker

Many of you will attest how bloody loud the LTD was (it's been silent for the past 6 with no rego) and I drove past cops and have even been pulled over for random breathos and what not and have never been EPA'd... Just depends on who's listening I spose...

Alex

Automotive photography, fine art landscapes, portraiture
Photo retouching and restoration

The Goodz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2007, 11:21 PM   #48
NudgE^SIKBRO
Never late with a V8

Most of what is written in this thread is a load of rubbish... ive been doen twice by EPA for noise once in my old EA and Once in my EB... they dont touch your exhaust... only have a look under the car and draw a little map of your exhaust on a piece of paper, they dont care if the cat is hollow or filled nothing as long as the shell is there they put the mic behind the car, Rev it to 3200 hold for 30 seconds and thats it you drive away happy. Get your car tested before you change exhausts back over, Both my EA and EB have only one muffler and both have standard cats and passed EA got 90.5db but he marked it down as 89.5db and called it wind noise EB got 85db and passed easily.

Cheers Dan

P.S. Your registration WILL be suspended unless EPA have a faxed copy of the certificate of compliance before the due date

(Daily)2004 Explorer V8 Limited
(Work) 2014 Kenworth K200 Aerodyne
(Classic) 1969 Mini K, 1340, twin SU's
The beginning is near!!!

Body by Ford. Soul by NudgE
NudgE^SIKBRO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2007, 12:37 AM   #49
crannersEL
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dose
What road were you spotted on?

Sundeep
Canterburry Road, Heathmont
Old 13-06-2007, 12:48 AM   #50
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomber
awww crap mine might be in the mail too then, been waiting for one for like a month and a half now, was thinking the cop was trying to scare me because i hadnt got it yet. Its not avtually fine its more of a case of go and get ur car tested for noise if it fails and you dont fix it it becomes unroadworthy.
I got pulled over a few years ago for a loud exhaust. The cop was really nice and explained I could cop a canary for it and that I should get it fixed before someone reports me to the EPA, but he indicated that he'd let me off - 2 weeks later I get a letter from the EPA - he'd reported me! The test only ended up with 117db, so dunno what their problem was?!
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2007, 04:05 AM   #51
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Any sports exhaust is too loud, seriously you cant even buy a sports exhaust that isnt too loud.
I got done last year up at Springnats, received my letter in the mail 2 weeks later. At first I didnt want to go to the hassle of putting the stock system on, (thankfully when I bought the car it came with the standard exhaust! How lucky am I!) so I made up a gasket to go at the join from the cat back using a bit of tin with a hole about the size of a 20 cent piece. I was hoping it would cut the sound back a bit, it recorded 96db still! The limit is 90db for cars built after 1987 or thereabouts I think. So I went and got the standard exhaust put on and went for the test again, i come in about 3db short of the limit! Seriously the clutch fan is louder than the legal exhaust limit!
In the end it cost me $70 for 2 tests and $40 to get the exhaust swapped twice. I had the sports exhaust put back on 2 days later!
IMO its all a load of crap, its just another way for the government to drown car enthusiasts and make it even harder for us to enjoy what we love.
Old 13-06-2007, 11:04 AM   #52
crannersEL
Banned

I registered 95db in my test this morning, cost me $36 for the test

The bloke told me to install a new muffler as i didnt want to go back to a std size pipe system. The new muffler will set me back about $150. Its a muffler thats designed to make very little noise and is the only muffler that will enable me to pass the test, which i have to do before the 1st of July

So all in all this little event has set me back about $200 once we factor everything into the package, and yes its just another way the government is making money from its tax payers and yes its drowning car enthusiasts and makeing it even harder for us to enjoy what we love.......

My question is, whats next?!?
Old 13-06-2007, 11:38 AM   #53
LTDHO
The one and only

THE DB limit has been in for close to 20 years so it is not a new way for the government to make money. You can stull have an awesome sounding exhaust and still be legal.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2007, 12:39 PM   #54
crannersEL
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
THE DB limit has been in for close to 20 years so it is not a new way for the government to make money. You can stull have an awesome sounding exhaust and still be legal.
Nah i ment the way they are inforcing it atm, sending letters out left right and centre. Fingers crossed my new systems sounds allright....
Old 13-06-2007, 12:53 PM   #55
Sundeep
Banned

Who here has got a notice, had it cleared and then reverted back to the same setup they had previously? I know I would.

It's just there for the hassle factor, like defect notices. Only some people cop them and either write their cars off or never modify 'em again.

Sundeep
Sundeep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2007, 01:05 PM   #56
Bill_R
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Friday the 1st of June at 8.15pm was when i got spotted..

I just checked then, i have one muffler and the rear ressy
Came with two?
Less than the number the car orginally came with is considered defective.

You can correct that by adding another muffler but it stil might exceed the limit.
Bill_R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2007, 01:55 PM   #57
FRDXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Nah i ment the way they are inforcing it atm, sending letters out left right and centre. Fingers crossed my new systems sounds allright....
Yeah it sucks now. When you used to get done for having a pod+cooler or BOV they would just defect you, now they defect you AND theres a 90% chance you will get a letter from the EPA 2 weeks later telling you to take it to McCleoud for a full inspection :

Noise limit is fair enough its just the other petty crap there cracking down on...
FRDXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2007, 02:02 PM   #58
OED666
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What sucks though, is the noise limits damn motorbikes get away with. Something thats generally 1/4 of the capacity of our motors, yet twice as loud.

I hope i have luck on my side with my 3" exhaust goes on. If I get done, then on with the turbo to make it quiet.