Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 03-02-2008, 10:38 PM   #31
ayeyew
Teh Baest

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC
make up your mind :

what happened to car audio plans or the SC install : :
Well, the SC kit bloody changes day to day, so i have scrapped that! I won't be getting the money which i was planning on using for the audio install for another couple of weeks, so i have pretty much written that off seeing as I am back at work now.

I am so indecisive, in a couple weeks i will have $10-12k to spend + whatever my AU can get me when sold and was speaking to a mate and he suggested the XR6T instead of heavily modding my car. Did abit of research and saw that XR6T's can now be gotten for low 20's! I was like WTF, cuz i thought they were WAY out of my budget. So saving up for another couple of months i will be able to get an XR6T.. But, I bet my mind will change 50x before i actually do something!

But now that this stroker is into the equation.. I am once again.. unsure. It will come down to all the reports and specs and of course.. Pricing

Coming..CMS Stg2A Cam, 68mm TB
Later.. 4.5L w/ BOOOOOOOOOOST or XR6T or AUIII XR8 220

Currently:
151kW (165 on other dynos )
ayeyew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2008, 10:42 PM   #32
crusher
Dirty ute club member

We were talking about these awhile ago in a thread in the 6cyl section.

If I had the money as soon as Joe had the AU block done and ready for selling id snap one up right away. Either the N/A version or the lowered comp version.

Either way itll be a ball tearer of an engine and will scare alot of the holden and ford boys. Be a good option for younger blokes (IE under 25 like me) as we wont really have as much insurance hassle like youd get with a turbo or something.

Can't wait to see some dyno figures and track times. Good times ahead for the 6cyl brigade.
crusher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2008, 10:58 PM   #33
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayeyew
Well, the SC kit bloody changes day to day, so i have scrapped that! I won't be getting the money which i was planning on using for the audio install for another couple of weeks, so i have pretty much written that off seeing as I am back at work now.

I am so indecisive, in a couple weeks i will have $10-12k to spend + whatever my AU can get me when sold and was speaking to a mate and he suggested the XR6T instead of heavily modding my car. Did abit of research and saw that XR6T's can now be gotten for low 20's! I was like WTF, cuz i thought they were WAY out of my budget. So saving up for another couple of months i will be able to get an XR6T.. But, I bet my mind will change 50x before i actually do something!

But now that this stroker is into the equation.. I am once again.. unsure. It will come down to all the reports and specs and of course.. Pricing
These blocks will also be available for B-series by the looks of it, so if an XR6T is waht you want, this can still be an option.
StealthAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2008, 11:14 PM   #34
aye you
The Origional, The Best

/pulls out wallet........
Lowerage on KingSprings Lows | Engine...Period | Sounds System

I Use And Recommend F1 Tyres And Wheels On The Gold Coast

Proud Supporter of Beat The Heat (NT)
aye you is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2008, 06:41 PM   #35
ayeyew
Teh Baest

Quote:
Originally Posted by aye you
/pulls out wallet........
more like

/pulls out loan

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockoau
These blocks will also be available for B-series by the looks of it, so if an XR6T is waht you want, this can still be an option.
I reckon i'd only be able to afford one or the other, prolly not both. But we'll see how it all goes in the coming months

Currently:
Old 05-02-2008, 01:15 PM   #36
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 

Quote:
more like
pulls out loan
I hear you there... still gotta save up around $5k for the paint job first...
Old 06-02-2008, 08:18 AM   #37
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Horse
Off topic comments aside, correct me if I'm wrong but one of the trial cars with the I6 stroker kit running out of Crescent Motorsport is an EF Fairmont?
If you are thinking it is Jase's Fairmont ... nup.
It's actually running in an older vehicle actually ... and has been ticking along quite nicely from what I have heard. It is used on a daily basis delivering items around Sydney.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2008, 03:15 PM   #38
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:

While I'm not a BA fan at all, if I was personally tossing up between modding my AU or grabbing an XR6T within the same budget, I'd go the XR6T without question. - Legal, great potential, and you get all the other XR/BA niceties thrown in for free.
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2008, 07:58 PM   #39
JoesAu

Quote:

+ 3500 grand for insurance every year for a P plater, reason why i havent got one yet
JoesAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2008, 08:10 PM   #40
ayeyew
Teh Baest

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoesAu
+ 3500 grand for insurance every year for a P plater, reason why i havent got one yet
The thing is.. I have a fiancee who turns 30 in April
:

3500 grand!! That's like $3.5million :

Currently:
Old 07-02-2008, 08:51 PM   #41
The Mighty Red

40 cubes ....
Old 05-03-2008, 12:40 PM   #42
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 

Any latest news on this?
Old 05-03-2008, 12:50 PM   #43
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
I do know that there were 5.0 six cylinder fords in usa so why not?
Mate of mine has a '73 F-Truck with a 300 cube straight 6 - he says thats pretty well the last of them with the small truck motor rather than a car motor.
Hell, most diseasel 6-cyls for trucks and buses have huge litreage.
JC is right. The fords get their torque from their long stroke, and if the long stroke is unchanged then the torque is not going to be monster. Expect 430nm at the fly i'd say.
Old 05-03-2008, 12:53 PM   #44
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEPRINT
Any latest news on this?

Joe is flat out busy at the moment though.

Last I heard though is that the ute it is running in (X-series) has been going better and better after it has been run in ... hasn't seen the rollers yet .. it's just getting road time for now and getting some mileage put on it.
Old 05-03-2008, 01:15 PM   #45
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Im wet with anticipation of this news.

My mate uses his EF monty for towing on a daily basis and was thinking about trading up for a V8. This is an excellent alternative for him.

I foresee some pretty shagged diffs with this new application too.

I reckon it's an awesome alternative, and you could avoid hefty insurance bills as said.

Bring it on.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2008, 02:00 PM   #46
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
Joe is flat out busy at the moment though.

Last I heard though is that the ute it is running in (X-series) has been going better and better after it has been run in ... hasn't seen the rollers yet .. it's just getting road time for now and getting some mileage put on it.
Cheers mate... just wondering
Old 05-03-2008, 06:19 PM   #47
mickyyyy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

From the fordmods forum joe is looking to find an affordable rod which both suits NA and turbo application and the engines are in still in testing stages as he wanted to test the engine is summer weather which we didnt get much of.

So i think its best to wait so he can do all the testing as you would want the engine to be reliable.

It's hard to say how much it would cost for the stroker engine but say rebuilding a 4.0L with ACL race series kit and reco head your looking at $2500.00 not ballanced and blueprinted.

So i would say the stroker engine would cast about $4500.00 with a little head work
mickyyyy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2008, 06:33 PM   #48
sly
Sly like a G6

It ain't a stroker FFS.
The Frankenfalcon... AU1.5 Wagon, BA brakes, AU2 booster, BA2 XR6T engine, stock from airbox to turbo, 8psi/98 octane tune 240RWKW, BF XR6T cat, quiet 3" zorst, Pex BSO660 & BSO439 mufflers, 84 db, built BTR box, 3.08 LSD, Emer SVI LPG, AU1 XR8 alloys, Momo wheel, JVC KDR746BT head unit, Aerpro steering wheel control wiring.

Sleeper, anyone?
sly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2008, 06:58 PM   #49
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sly
It ain't a stroker FFS.
then what is it?
Old 05-03-2008, 07:04 PM   #50
Orbit
Resident Nyctophobic!!

whats more intresting is if this can be applied to the Bseries F6....
Old 05-03-2008, 07:21 PM   #51
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC
then what is it?
The blocks are bored and resleeved. Stroke is left unchanged.

For those of you thinking it will not produce more torque then stock, quite simply you are wrong. Increasing the capacity of the engine will increase torque, if this increase was made via increasing the stroke rather then the bore it would have a lot more torque. A 4L with shorter stroke and larger bore then what we have would produce less torque and rev harder, but if you leave the stroke as is and increase the bore size it will increase torque.
Problem is people read articles about things they have no idea on and then become experts, in such articles when they were mentioning difference between square and over square engines all was in reference to if they were of the same capacity not if they shared the same stroke.
StealthAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2008, 07:34 PM   #52
HLC
Audi S3

ooooh ok now i get it. i knew engines with a shorter stroke would rev harder and produce less torque than an engine of the same capacity but with a longer stroke.... but that is about it lol
Old 05-03-2008, 07:56 PM   #53
sly
Sly like a G6

Sorry I was a bit terse earlier... I just assumed that most males having reached the stage where stubble takes over from bumfluff would innately understand the difference between "stroking" and "boring", most having experienced both by then, usually in that order. :

Now that that's settled, I reckon Mr Hardware would be right on the money. 4.8 / 4.0 = 1.2 and as that comes all from increased bore the torque increase should be approximately proportional. So 357Nm * 1.2 = 428.4 or approx 430Nm, as long as valve size doesn't restrict flow enough to upset volumetric efficiency.

The only downside of a big rebore like this, that I can see, is that the head casting will most likely restrict what can be done with valve sizes, possibly restricting top-end power in NA applications. But I'm sure Joe would have anticipated this. It'll be interesting to see if it was an issue and how much Joe was able to do to overcome it.
The Frankenfalcon... AU1.5 Wagon, BA brakes, AU2 booster, BA2 XR6T engine, stock from airbox to turbo, 8psi/98 octane tune 240RWKW, BF XR6T cat, quiet 3" zorst, Pex BSO660 & BSO439 mufflers, 84 db, built BTR box, 3.08 LSD, Emer SVI LPG, AU1 XR8 alloys, Momo wheel, JVC KDR746BT head unit, Aerpro steering wheel control wiring.

Sleeper, anyone?
Old 05-03-2008, 08:03 PM   #54
Qwikcorty
V8 Turbo Hoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC
ooooh ok now i get it. i knew engines with a shorter stroke would rev harder and produce less torque than an engine of the same capacity but with a longer stroke.... but that is about it lol
it would more likely produce similar torque but at a higher rpm.
Qwikcorty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2008, 08:53 PM   #55
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orbit
whats more intresting is if this can be applied to the Bseries F6....

He has a B-series engine he has been playing with as well.
Old 05-03-2008, 10:38 PM   #56
Orbit
Resident Nyctophobic!!

NOw there is an intresting prospect.
Old 05-03-2008, 11:34 PM   #57
Tradewind

I dunno, I've seen plenty stroker Holden engines from 3.8 - 4.3 and they go from 160 rwhp to about 210rwhp for like $5000 ......... it costs a lot, plenty work involved and you are left wanting, a petrol motor with not much top end turns out to be not that much fun. Would make a good taxi engine, bulk low end squirt then slowly run out.

Interesting but would need to be pressure fed like Sly suggested to be exciting
Old 06-03-2008, 01:32 AM   #58
sly
Sly like a G6

I think Joe is targeting around 200RWKW, maybe 270RWHP??? with the right cam and head combo. I wasn't suggesting it would lack excitement, more that it would be a natural complement to a centri blower... take 200RWKW, add 50-70%, and go scare some HSV's!

I always get a laugh from the ad in Parts Trader for one of those Commo 4.2 V6's, the "COME stroker" of course LOL.

Sleeper, anyone?
Old 06-03-2008, 09:02 AM   #59
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by sly
I always get a laugh from the ad in Parts Trader for one of those Commo 4.2 V6's, the "COME stroker" of course LOL.
Filthy filthy mind... :

Now i have only read this thread to get information, and i was under the impression it was a new block and head package we weretalking about, not a rebuild...
Old 06-03-2008, 09:31 AM   #60
sly
Sly like a G6

The description on Fordmods seemed like a rebuild to me... boring out existing blocks into the water jacket then fitting wet sleeves... and a ported head of course.

Sleeper, anyone?