Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 28-03-2011, 01:40 AM   #31
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 
Default Re: NSW Speed Camera Tolerance to be 0kph

Wow, being fined for going 1km/h over. What a ****ing joke.

NSW has gone down the toilet. First safety cameras that just distract you from the road, now zero tolerance on all cameras? So if you are on cruise control at 70km/h and it creeps to 71km/h through a camera zone you have committed a crime, lose a point on your licence and get fined. There NEEDS to be a tolerance, it's common sense.

Do they think that reducing the tolerance from 3km/h to zero will make a difference? Aren't the cameras supposed to make the roads safer? People are paranoid enough as it is, if this crap goes through they will have their eyes absolutely glued to the speedo (and not on the road where they should be) through every camera zone.

Why the hell does the state debt recovery office have a say in how "safety" devices should be calibrated? That just about says it all.
Old 28-03-2011, 01:04 PM   #32
Donny
Tickford 220kw Windsor...

Quote:
Why the hell does the state debt recovery office have a say in how "safety" devices should be calibrated? That just about says it all.

Yeah, the state is in massive debt, and this is how they plan their recovery... (said very tongue in cheek)

Old 28-03-2011, 01:45 PM   #33
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes it is revenue raising pure and simply, in regards to the legalaties of it all, Vic has been using 3k tolerance for some time and many have fought fines in court and lost (fine has been withheld, plus on top of the fine there would be your own legal costs)

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
Old 28-03-2011, 01:46 PM   #34
Streets
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not good enough in my opinion -- they should be set to -3% to make sure nobody is even approaching the speed limit. Several times I have been travelling at 58-59kph and felt my car shuddering in anticipation of reaching the speed limit and spinning wildly out of control. Who knows what would have happened if I had not applied the brakes and pulled over to calm my nerves
Old 28-03-2011, 01:57 PM   #35
HULK EF
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

what next? a black box linked to the RTA/police indicating throttle application? More than 75% Fine'able..
And a gas metre installed in the seats to fine those who Fart in their cars with a "cabon tax"?

F'ing stuipid laws.. The cops will be absolutely inundated with fineable offences.. Bet some cops do not believe in this latest revenue raiser and will probably apply common sense..

-Can see a breathing tax coming soon too..
Old 28-03-2011, 04:10 PM   #36
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Just to annoy you Hulk black boxes will be here soon enough, if not already, just so you cant make a clam if you are done speeding and have an accident.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 28-03-2011, 04:18 PM   #37
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

I heard a rumor that the RTA had reduced the demerit points from 3 points to 1 point for minor speeding infringements.
So I guess the gestapo won't take your license off you going over by 1 or 2 kph, no they get the revenue 12 times over...
Old 28-03-2011, 04:24 PM   #38
XWGT
Powered by Marshall

Guys, I think you need to re read the proposal

What they are considering is removing the 3kph TOLERANCE that is currently built into all fines.

You will see currently you will have

Detected speed 67
Tolerance 3
Alleged Speed 64

While I hate speed cameras with a passion, this one is a bit of a beat up as its simply an admin issue not a detection issue (as you will notice you do not get fined for 64 in a 60 zone less 3kph tolernace fined for 61. This might also give some hint as to the real tolerance built into the system. If anyone has been fined with a detected speed of less than 63kph in a 60 zone I would love to see the ticket.
Old 28-03-2011, 04:49 PM   #39
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
I heard a rumor that the RTA had reduced the demerit points from 3 points to 1 point for minor speeding infringements.
So I guess the gestapo won't take your license off you going over by 1 or 2 kph, no they get the revenue 12 times over...
It's been that way for awhile.

Under 10kph is 1 demerit for a full licence holder. 2 demerits if it's a school zone. 4 demerits for an L or P plater.
Old 28-03-2011, 04:56 PM   #40
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

YEP .. When I cannot keep with in average speed limit on ROADS I PAY TOLLS on to sit in car park ..
The gov and RTA should re-imburse my tolls...
They shouldn't be allowed to have it both ways...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
Old 28-03-2011, 06:29 PM   #41
redxm
64 Deluxe 4 door
Donating Member3

the old tire filled with petrol slung over the camera seems to be the preferred method of paying a fine for our English cousins
Old 28-03-2011, 08:22 PM   #42
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by redxm
the old tire filled with petrol slung over the camera seems to be the preferred method of paying a fine for our English cousins
In USA they just shoot them.

Apparently the speed camera in Lochinvar used to only get west bound traffic. One night a farmer took care of the camera himself with his shotgun.
When they fixed the camera, they set it up to get west bound as well as east bound traffic.
So that sorta back fired.

The most annoying cameras are those ones in the back of stupid black Territory's.
Guess you can't shoot them with a shotgun unless you want to be charged with attempted murder of the bludger sitting in the car.
Old 28-03-2011, 10:44 PM   #43
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73

The most annoying cameras are those ones in the back of stupid black Territory's.
Guess you can't shoot them with a shotgun unless you want to be charged with attempted murder of the bludger sitting in the car.
Train horn, six 8" spotties and a massive dual battery kit...at most...

Subaru Outback '02
Old 28-03-2011, 10:50 PM   #44
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
And you do realise that the ADR which is a federal law wins hands down here?

You can appeal the current stupid fines because your speedo doesnt read withing a 3kmh tolerance. Anyone who pays these fines without appealing it is just pandering to government stupidity and a law which cant work.

Having spoken to a couple of QLD cops about NSW speed camera laws they have said the same thing. Appeal it as its your speedo can be out by +-10% on cars prior to 2006.

After 2006 speedos are to accurate to only plus 10%
(If im reading the ADR right!)

So if you have a pre 2006 car... dont pay ya fine!
Happily I don't live in NSW however if I were to get such a cam flash it would be challenged , over last certified speed calibration ,weather conditiond traffic situation and most anything including who installed it and are they certified to do so , odds are there are thousands of fines issued everdsay with dodgy camera installs
Old 28-03-2011, 10:52 PM   #45
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
In USA they just shoot them.

Apparently the speed camera in Lochinvar used to only get west bound traffic. One night a farmer took care of the camera himself with his shotgun.
When they fixed the camera, they set it up to get west bound as well as east bound traffic.
So that sorta back fired.

Last time one of those was working on the Beaudesert Rd near here a passing high speed car bombed it with a petrol bomb , it never returned and the operator was just a tad miffed

Roast pork...
Old 28-03-2011, 11:24 PM   #46
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by atec77
Last time one of those was working on the Beaudesert Rd near here a passing high speed car bombed it with a petrol bomb , it never returned and the operator was just a tad miffed

Roast pork...
There are a lot of drop kicks around that like to destroy things.

These people need to put their effort into doing this to speed cameras which would be a public service.
Old 28-03-2011, 11:58 PM   #47
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The ultimate way to solve the whole speed camera problem is simple.

If EVERYONE took off their number plates the the whole system would fall over and there is NOTHING govco could do about it.......
Old 29-03-2011, 12:11 AM   #48
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist

If EVERYONE took off their number plates the the whole system would fall over and there is NOTHING govco could do about it.......
There would always be the people who wouldn't protest.

But if i did happen the government will suddenly find a lot of spare police officers that will pull over everyone possible and fine them.
Old 29-03-2011, 12:53 AM   #49
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Quote:

But if i did happen the government will suddenly find a lot of spare police officers that will pull over everyone possible and fine them.
Then they should all take it to court !!!
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
Old 29-03-2011, 12:58 AM   #50
burnz
VFII SS UTE

camera tolerance and allowable speed are seperate..
as it stands now +4 allowable,+3 camera tolerance =7 total
Old 29-03-2011, 09:56 AM   #51
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

So the government would pull over every VOTER possible and fine them?

There is a very recent example of what happens when a government completely loses the plot.......
Old 29-03-2011, 10:41 AM   #52
hydraulicmonkey
oil powered primate

ISA for everyone yayyyyy!!!!!

Just look at your speedo and not the road. What's everyones problem?
Old 29-03-2011, 11:24 AM   #53
xe351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist

i was actually just thinking this....... the trouble would be convincing everyone to do it.

Maybe we need to start thinking out of the box, how do these camera's work? eg infrared? and what can be done to avoid them? (heated lamp behind the plate??) sure it sounds dodgy, but it is neccessary in an unjust system. Or maybe go transporter style, hit the button and your plates flip over - this sounds good lol.

lived in vic for 3 years, and was happy as larry to leave, now it looks like nsw will be worse

Twin Horns 8-9/74 and lower horn dated 7-8/74, GT hubcaps. GT aircleaner. Please pm me if you can help
Old 29-03-2011, 12:21 PM   #54
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Or better yet try convincing everyone to drop 5kph under the limit (or 10)..no fines = no revenue...that would pee them off.

Everyone just leaves 15mins early (give or take) to go to their destination.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 29-03-2011, 01:15 PM   #55
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Or better yet try convincing everyone to drop 5kph under the limit (or 10)..no fines = no revenue...that would pee them off.

Everyone just leaves 15mins early (give or take) to go to their destination.
That is all good in theory and in a small place like a city it is probably doable but when you are travelling long distances (300km++) such driving will take longer and expose you to more danger from mixing with other cars (and trucks).

The other issue is who pays for this extra travelling time? Or do you happyfor everything you buy to go 10% to cover increased costs?
Old 29-03-2011, 07:02 PM   #56
platinumXR
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter.

The current tollerance for all speed cameras is 10% + 3km/h in any given speed zone (in N.S.W.)

I doubt very much that, that tollerance will be lowered.

There is the potential for certain "safety camera's" in specific sites around Sydney at least; to have their tollerance lowered...but not to zero.

Toys:
2017.5 LZ Focus RS, Magnetic Grey my new pocket rocket
2008 BF2 RTV Ute
1993 EB2 S-XR8 Sedan, Platinum, manual (now sold)
1975 XB Fairmont GS Sedan, Tropic Gold...or Starlight Blue...not sure yet...(SOLD)
Old 29-03-2011, 07:47 PM   #57
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Quote:
Originally Posted by xe351
i was actually just thinking this....... the trouble would be convincing everyone to do it.

Maybe we need to start thinking out of the box, how do these camera's work? eg infrared? and what can be done to avoid them? (heated lamp behind the plate??) sure it sounds dodgy, but it is neccessary in an unjust system. Or maybe go transporter style, hit the button and your plates flip over - this sounds good lol.

lived in vic for 3 years, and was happy as larry to leave, now it looks like nsw will be worse
x2 for plate flipping.
Or a number of HID spotties aimed at the camera when going past, as you would on a terri cam.

Subaru Outback '02
Old 29-03-2011, 08:52 PM   #58
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There are heaps of plate flipping things on youtube.
But that only works if you know there is a camera ahead, if you don't know about it until its to late, it wont work.

x2 for HID Spotties

The work cars have good spotties and late at night if I see a cop parked on side of road on the highway, Ill turn off the spotlights and highbeam as common curtosy since there is clearly a cop sitting in thecar. But If I see a territory camera car I just burn their retinas because I don't respect them.

Since they don't have their headlights on while parked at night I legally don't have to dim mine, so why should I.
Old 29-03-2011, 10:07 PM   #59
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Look, the only way to do anything about it is not to speed. And I don't mean that in a crabby "I'm so much better than everyone else" do gooder politically correct moron way, I mean it would take every single driver (including freight) wiping 10, maybe 20km/h off their speed. Watch the road network in Melbourne grind to a halt then...
Old 29-03-2011, 10:18 PM   #60
fg_nitro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
There is no way this could get through, all machines are made with tolerances, even if you set cruise you will be out...same goes for gps type speed readouts linked to it.

Further more what are the error tolerances for the detectors themselves....surely they are not perfect regardless of how often they're calibrated.
?
We are expected to tolerate stupid governments their departments and regulations but they are intolerant of the voting public.

Where to from here?

Last edited by fg_nitro; 29-03-2011 at 10:23 PM.
Closed Thread