Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 22-06-2006, 10:41 PM   #31
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If the no V8s law is true - that astounds me that the Vic Govt would be stupid enough to follow the NSW example after so many people pointed out the shortcomings of their list. Power to weight and/or capacity to weight is a fair measure and should be retained.
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2006, 09:07 AM   #32
qwigybo
hunting 300kw's

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauljh74
If the no V8s law is true - that astounds me that the Vic Govt would be stupid enough to follow the NSW example after so many people pointed out the shortcomings of their list. Power to weight and/or capacity to weight is a fair measure and should be retained.
add no turbo vehicles onto that and you would be right, a few of my mates had r32 skylines on their p'z under the power to weight they just upped the boost and were running high 12 sec quarters.
qwigybo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2006, 09:57 AM   #33
Nappa
Impressive...

its a good thing i'm off my P's in 3months. then i can drive drive performance cars..... but i get to do that anyway because of my job
Nappa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2006, 10:53 AM   #34
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I just read an article in the paper today - it seems in terms of cars on the banned list they are following the short-sighted NSW approach. At least they've learnt to exempt low power turbo motors such as diesels and low pressure petrol turbos. So we can expect to see the old Rover 105kw(ish) 3.5 litre V8 banned, but a recent Falcon/Commodore with 50%+ more power given the green light.
About the only positive in there is the tougher driving test. If the test standard was raised to include some defensive driving techniques among other things, they could make the probationary period 2 years and the end result would be better.
When my eldest sister got her licence, the probationary period was 1 year.
The next sister it was increased to 2, the last one and for myself, it was 3 years, yet the same problems exist. Raising it to 4 years will have no effect. I'd say most P plate drink drivers who are involved in accidents have a BAC of >0.05, so they're above the limit for fully licenced drivers anyway.

The RACV disappoints me - they are concerned the ban on P platers carrying more than one passenger was left out. On the one hand they don't want people to drink and drive (which most will agree on for all drivers), then the RACV wants to restrict younger drivers' ability to take a sensible approach to a night out by having a designated driver in a carload of people so the others can drink and get home directly in a private car as opposed to a taxi for example.
The current rules for restricting passengers of P platers who have had their licence cancelled punishes those who commit serious/multiple offences rather than punish those who have done nothing wrong.
Not bad for a #2 driver
Old 23-06-2006, 04:18 PM   #35
XW Boy
Being built not bought.

I heard on the radio this morning that the laws are coming in july next year for the 2 stage p plates, but i have still not heard anything about v8 or turbo restrictions? One thing i hope is that these rules only effect all who get there P's after they come in not all current P platers, please please please :
Old 23-06-2006, 04:24 PM   #36
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

on news it said on p1/p2 you're not allowed to drive a v8 or any turbo / supercharge etc... but wouldn't stop you from doin other work to your engine... :P

and on p1 you're not allowed to tow a trailer, whereas p2 you can....
kyro_02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2006, 04:26 PM   #37
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

The northern territory has a system where, if a younger driver does extra taining (approved defensive driver training etc) they can have their time on P's shortend. My daughter will be free of P restrictions/hassles by the time she is 18. Why cant the eastern states take a more sensible approach to these kind issues?
Outbackjack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2006, 04:34 PM   #38
Daniel351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyro_02
nah this time next year the new 'law's will come in affect and p1 and p2... also 1 year on L's ....

this yr i be on my p's anyway... so it won't affect me, it would be highly unlikely existing P platers be asked to take another test... only the new drivers from june/july next year will have to go through the 1yr on l's and p1 and p2 bulldust
so insted of being 18 to get your P Plate you are 17 and you do an extra Year of ya P Plates???

THE Daily
1994 Ford Falcon ED XR6 Manual
Daniel351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2006, 06:08 PM   #39
Daniel351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Can Any1 Please tell me WTF is going on My Understanding of what people have said in this Thread is that,
Age of 16 You get your Learners Permit
Age of 17 You Get Your P1
Age Of 18 You get Your P2
Age Of 21 You get Your Full Licence
is this correct????? or have i miss read??

THE Daily
Old 23-06-2006, 06:13 PM   #40
janek
Ripping it up

20 is opens.

its all bull**** anyway
janek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2006, 06:17 PM   #41
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel351
Can Any1 Please tell me WTF is going on My Understanding of what people have said in this Thread is that,
Age of 16 You get your Learners Permit
Age of 17 You Get Your P1
Age Of 18 You get Your P2
Age Of 21 You get Your Full Licence
is this correct????? or have i miss read??
that's how i think it will go, i doubt it would be 22 before your opens... so what you said sounds right
Old 23-06-2006, 06:20 PM   #42
Daniel351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

oh well No XY for me on My P Plates :( Give me time to build a Hot Engine For it Now Time for a Worked XD 6 Cllinder
Old 23-06-2006, 06:21 PM   #43
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

that's the way hehe

though you could drive a v8 for your 'sunday' driving :P
Old 23-06-2006, 06:25 PM   #44
Daniel351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

lol I will be striping her down and rebuilding her over the three year peroid if this happens,
Dont Worry buy then hopefully dad will have his XY wagon going

THE Daily
Old 23-06-2006, 07:03 PM   #45
XW Boy
Being built not bought.

haha i think not, why would they try and get younger drivers more experienced by letting them drive by them selves a year earlier, doesnt make sense but you maybe right, u hope
Old 23-06-2006, 09:56 PM   #46
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

if they extend the P plate peiod by a year, just watch the government start crowing about the increase of P plater accidents and/or deaths.... and then use that as justification for the time increase
Interceptor is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2006, 04:17 AM   #47
Bobman
Regulator

Hmm, it won't do much apart from confuse people, there will probably be stiff penalties for displaying the wrong colour P plate.

However I see it says towing will not be permitted, I thought towing under P's was forbidden anyway or is that only Car trailers?

"Police will encourage P plate drivers to carry less passengers and not travel at night time" Hmm - That measure would cut the traffic two fold on weekend nights.

Seriously, the amount of money they waste on this propaganda could have been used to sit EVERY P plater through a defence course or at least a police driving school to learn proper car control. If every motorist had this kind of training it would be beneficial to everyone who uses our roadways.

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2006, 10:00 PM   #48
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

Quote:
When will the new measures be introduced?

The new measures are being introduced gradually over two years:

* The alcohol interlock measure will be introduced in January 2007.
* The new learner requirements will apply from July 2007.
* The new high powered vehicle restriction for P drivers will start in July 2007.
* The new P1/P2 probationary driver requirements and a new driving test will apply from July 2008.

This staged introduction will allow young learners to prepare adequately for the new test and P Plate requirements. It also ensures that a community-based supervised driving program for disadvantaged learners can be trialled before the learner requirements commence.
interesting eh.
Old 24-06-2006, 10:21 PM   #49
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by needfordspeed
Exactly, driver training for new P-Platers would be FAR more effective.

Too right......MORE EDUCATION is needed.

Like.........Don't drive with a cigarette in one hand, a mobile phone in the other in an overloaded HYUNDAI EXCEL with 6 of your mates.

I'm not for one minute saying all P platers are like this so don't start FLAMING, but man o man you do see heaps in this situation.

Any ways, if you're doing the right thing........what difference does another year make.

I reckon there should be "G" plates for all the old Grandads and Grandmas as well..........they need a constant eye watching as well !!!!!!!!!

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2006, 12:07 AM   #50
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.arrivealive.vic.gov.au/c_youngGLS_1.html

The link to the vicroads site
Not bad for a #2 driver
Old 25-06-2006, 01:30 AM   #51
xurbanx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

"New P1 and P2 licences will apply from July 2008."

Thank god I'm getting my full licence on April, 2008 (:
xurbanx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2006, 03:16 AM   #52
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

The graduated licensing systems around AUS are harmonising, for example in both required hours (100-120), log book requirements (including odometer entry), and the two P stages.

Each will eventually form part of the National Driver Training Scheme, currently being undertaken/developed and initially done by candidates from VIC and NSW as a trial.

A Commonwealth initiative. The program has a strong defensive driving emphasis and will seek to identify at an early stage the 'cowboy' immature element for remedial intervention strategies.

This has all been discussed before here in forum I recall.

In relation to 'difficulty', when going from a NSW P2 to a full license, you'd be surprised by the numbers that do not get it first go, not as simple as some think. The driver manuals and relevant materials are a must read.

Will we get actual on road training? That is a Commonwealth desire, certainly an existing one of the Roads Minister (Loyd), and that of former deputy PM Anderson - who wanted braking and other roadcraft taught. The idea eventually is to have a program that has proven beneficial outcome, including cost, and is effectively administerable from coast to coast on a fair basis for all. Hopefully achieved once the VIC and NSW national test trial outcomes are studied and results compiled.

Driving instructors need to be accredited for this program.

Change takes time here, and any government move is typically resisted in this area. People demand change and driver education, but loath it happening.

Costs: How much a state charges for its programs-steps (the fees), remain purely a state matter.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2006, 10:26 AM   #53
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

i dunno 'bout that 120 hrs ... you can just put in false lessons?
Old 26-06-2006, 08:41 AM   #54
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gozza
wtf...getting your opens a year early is a big difference

would it matter if you only had 1 testicle?
Exactly the reason that the laws are in need of change. Obviously some people don't have the maturity that is required. Really was there any need for a personal attack? Grow up.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2006, 12:24 PM   #55
janek
Ripping it up

The laws need to be re-evaluated.

Sure, you cant pass without reading the book, but can you drive after reading the book? No.

Im 21, and have been on my blacks for a bit over a year now. 21 is a good age to be on your opens. It is a time where the little things seems to start meaning more, the person is more mature etc. I for one see a profound difference between now and when i was 17, hell, even in the last year!

In regards to driving and accidents, 2 things play a major part. Driver experience and car quality.

Trying not to blow my own trumpet, but i have about 300,000 km driving experience. The only time ive had a massive near miss want really my fault, but much more so the car. By no means do i consider myself perfect, but i have a broad driving experience on the highway (majority of my life lol), city, country, dirt, sand, you name it, ive probably given it a go.

BUT, most of the people who drive with me keep saying how safe a driver i am (appropriate gaps, speeds for roads etc). These are all things you cannot learn from a book, nor take seriously from a book.

The distance on highway thing is a big, big thing i learnt early on. I was driving up the pacific hwy one night (110kph), and a truck lost a block of concrete. i was travelling at approx 2.5 seconds behind the truck. nothing i could do could stop me in time. I hit the block at about 80k, blew out 2 tyres, cracked my windscreen from the shock, bent the front guard, and probably more. All because i didnt leave enough of a gap. The only saving grace was that i was doing burnouts that night, and had a pair of stockies in the boot. The correlation between speed and distance is clearly stated in the handbooks, but not really heeded properly unitil it is too late.

Now, for how to prevent it without having to suffer the unfortunate events, an advanced driving course, which simulates this would be a start. It doent really matter if its subsidised or not, the money spent on the course is well spent in saving your car, and your life.

Perhaps have some sort of advanced driver courses optional, but required to get onto your opens? If you dont want to do it, you dont have to, bt you stay on your p's?

Food for thought...

Many more ramblings to come
janek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2006, 01:49 PM   #56
mark180227
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

after reading that i still do not understand what happens to current probationary drivers? Do we keep our red p plates, or change to the green ones?

there goes my plans for supercharging the falcon...another great idea by the goverment _
mark180227 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post