Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-06-2011, 03:45 PM   #31
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: defects -do u tell them?

As I've always said, "If I'm doing something wrong, I'd prefer you inform me straight away about it so i can do something about it as soon as possible". Same with cars...if someone was following me and noticed, say, my taillights or brakelights weren't working, I'd expect you to tell me.

Unfortunately some people see it not as useful and helpful advice, but as a personal insult somehow.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2011, 07:20 PM   #32
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle
how hard would it be for a car to let you know its brake lights are out? (warning on dash). it's not like you can get out and check it.
A lot of old cars used to be wired up like this. If a taillight/brake was out, the dash lights would go out.
A lot of old motorbikes were also setup with a taillight/brake warning "system" (light or whatever)
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2011, 07:32 PM   #33
prydey
Rob

things like brake lights or flat tyres i generally do try to bring it to the drivers attention. things like bald tyres and what not are something that the owner should be able to keep up with without someone having to tell them.

my neighbours daughters boyfriend had his vx ute parked in the drive the other day and i noticed the rear drivers tyre was flat. i did the good neighbour thing and went and knocked on the door and let them know. i also pointed out that new tyres might be in order as the front was also down to the canvas. i was thanked muchly.

its just common courtesy most of the time. something that left society years ago it seems.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2011, 07:38 PM   #34
jason71
google is my friend

A workmate once told a copper who changed lanes in front of him without indicating that his car needs a service.

With a puzzled look the he asked "why?"

Workmate responded "because your indicator isn't working."

Coppers response "smartarse"
jason71 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2011, 07:44 PM   #35
sudszy
Banned

I actually try and tell them that a brake light or tail light is out, but need to pull along side in 2 lane traffic to be able to do that. Wouldnt get of the car in these times, could be mistaken for roadrage.
could even get a sign to hold up, brake lights out...

In regards to checking them yourself, its not that hard:

use a reflection from another car, wall, window.
Use some sort of stick to wedge between some part of the seat and the pedal to hold it on, or even wedge something up in the switch mechanism.

Haven driven older cars most of my life, one old car had an ammeter, I could tell by how much it moved whether it was powering two brake lights or not.
Another car I drove, the brake light wire must have been close to one of the lines in the sound system and would audibly click through the speakers when brake applied, muffled click, one light out

bottom line, there are no excuses for having brake lights out for long periods of time.
sudszy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2011, 08:13 PM   #36
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELGT4me
You would be surprised, I have had to tell people they have a flat tyre!!!
You'd not believe how hard it is to notice if it is on a rear wheel of a 35 profile tyre, and you are just driving slowly through traffic
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2011, 08:24 PM   #37
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
how hard would it be for a car to let you know its brake lights are out? (warning on dash). it's not like you can get out and check it.
Many new cars do, both our Mini's have a warning light the moment a defective bulb is detected, the Merc ambulances do as well. The Mini's also have tyre pressure warning as well as do many new cars. It will be good when these features filter down to all vehicles.
Old 30-06-2011, 08:41 PM   #38
J.C.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
Many new cars do, both our Mini's have a warning light the moment a defective bulb is detected, the Merc ambulances do as well. The Mini's also have tyre pressure warning as well as do many new cars. It will be good when these features filter down to all vehicles.
I guess so.
Instead of carrying out simple daily or weekly checks and reading our owners manual, we'll all put our faith in man made electronic sensors, bulbs and warning devices..........because they never fail.............
Seems like we are getting lazier and charter for the idiots in the world.

PS. not having a crack at you personally mate. Just think that there is a much more direct way to prevent crap like what's in this thread happening.

Last edited by J.C.; 30-06-2011 at 08:46 PM.
J.C. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2011, 10:13 PM   #39
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE72
I let people know for sure, espescially if it is brake lights and they are in the same peak hour crawl as me. I hate to say it, but so many times I get a look like I just spat in their face, or a "yeah, I know mate"
Well if you know, bl**dy fix 'em before playing in bumper to bumper traffic fool!

How do you know that there wasn't some decent motorists that had prewarned them a few kays back?

I had 2 people tell me my brake lights didn't work within 5 kays. The reason they weren't fixed the first time, is the brake light switch stuffed up and Ford wasn't open on a Sunday. . So I drove the car home, jumped into another one of mine and high tailed it to the wreckers.

So, yes good idea just letting people know a light is out, or even a tyre is going flat. Especially these low profile ones.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2011, 10:13 PM   #40
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

TN Magnas had a brake light warning light.
irish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2011, 10:17 PM   #41
ELGT4me
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Question Re: defects -do u tell them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo supporter
How do you know that there wasn't some decent motorists that had prewarned them a few kays back?

I had 2 people tell me my brake lights didn't work within 5 kays. The reason they weren't fixed the first time, is the brake light switch stuffed up and Ford wasn't open on a Sunday.
In the old days that was an on the spot defect & fine. Was it not possible to source the part from somewhere else? Not having a "go" at you , just curious.
ELGT4me is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2011, 10:22 PM   #42
ELGT4me
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Talking Re: defects -do u tell them?

Quote:

I had 2 people tell me my brake lights didn't work within 5 kays. The reason they weren't fixed the first time, is the brake light switch stuffed up and Ford wasn't open on a Sunday. . So I drove the car home, jumped into another one of mine and high tailed it to the wreckers.

So, yes good idea just letting people know a light is out, or even a tyre is going flat. Especially these low profile ones.
Oops, my apologies, I just read the rest of your reply. My computer/server/ provider is a little slow tonight.
ELGT4me is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2011, 10:24 PM   #43
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Quote:
My 1983 Subaru tells me when a brake light globe has blown.

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2011, 10:37 PM   #44
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

i havent blown any brake globes in the BA but i did do a fuse because of some dodgy trailer wiring and the dash lights all go out when the brake light fuse blows.

i tried to let a young lady? know that the LHS rear wheel was falling off her htundia exell once. suspension must have busted and the wheel was sitting at about 45 degree angle. but the exell was too fast for me. she zipped off through the traffic and was gone.
i have often told people about tail lights not working etc
`04 BA XR6 Turbo sedan. Blueprint. auto, Leather trim.
`03 BA XLS ute . Acid Rush, factory lpg, auto,
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`62 Willys 6-230 , 4x4 light truck
`04 Yamaha TTR 250
dave351cid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2011, 12:21 AM   #45
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELGT4me
In the old days that was an on the spot defect & fine. Was it not possible to source the part from somewhere else? Not having a "go" at you , just curious.

My house was closer than the nearest wrecker/spare parts place. (wreckers being the closest place), so I took the car home and jumped into another to get the part. IMA, I did pull over to check what the problem was the first time a motorist told me, hence why I discovered what the issue was.

As for an on the spot fine and/or defect. It still is, however 99% of coppers generally let you off with a warning, providing you're really polite and act surprised.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2011, 12:34 AM   #46
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.C.
I guess so.
Instead of carrying out simple daily or weekly checks and reading our owners manual, we'll all put our faith in man made electronic sensors, bulbs and warning devices..........because they never fail.............
Seems like we are getting lazier and charter for the idiots in the world.

PS. not having a crack at you personally mate. Just think that there is a much more direct way to prevent crap like what's in this thread happening.
Yes because historically that has worked so well.

Lets see, the choice is to install a system that detects the voltage change (globes are resistors, a blown globe changes resistance) and put up an annoying alarm and alert on the dash until you have it changed. The other option is to educate the entire motoring public and get them to give a stuff about the operation of all their lighting and warning devices. I know which one I will put my money on being more reliable at making some real changes in this topic.

If getting people to do the right thing was so simple, we would not be having this discussion.

Last edited by geckoGT; 01-07-2011 at 12:42 AM.
geckoGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2011, 12:43 AM   #47
5L
[ 5L ]

not a defect, but could of possibly resulted in a fine.

i was told on monday night my rear numberplate was missing.

if i wasnt told, i wouldnt of known till i walked around the rear of my car. which where i park at home and work could of been a few days later.

ive told a few people about lights out, normally it is taken nicely.
[ 5L ] 2001 AU series 2 xr8, 220kw, 5speed, leather interior, premium sound, narooma blue, cat back exhaust, k&n filter,willall edit,MSD coil packs, MSD leads, monroe gt gas shocks, superlow kingsprings 187rwkw (mainline)

www.ignitionimages.com
5L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2011, 01:03 AM   #48
J.C.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yes because historically that has worked so well.

Lets see, the choice is to install a system that detects the voltage change (globes are resistors, a blown globe changes resistance) and put up an annoying alarm and alert on the dash until you have it changed. The other option is to educate the entire motoring public and get them to give a stuff about the operation of all their lighting and warning devices. I know which one I will put my money on being more reliable at making some real changes in this topic.

If getting people to do the right thing was so simple, we would not be having this discussion.
Thanks for your input.
I know about such systems. I have repaired them for many years (over 20 actually, albeit on large mining equipment which monitor and control engine, trans, implements, hydraulics, brakes, etc). They fail. They are man made and are not idiot proof. Sensors fail (eg: go out of their parameters and give incorrect readings, gauges fail, floats fall of, blah blah blah).
Operators/drivers drive through flashing lights and sounding alarms.
I also know that prestart checks are a critical part of vehicle maintenance, along with simple preventive maintenance.
People need educating in these areas of maintenance and not rely on the monitoring systems as a fail safe system. That was my point.
Should be part of the licencing process, if it isn't already (I think some schools do it now).

Last edited by J.C.; 01-07-2011 at 01:12 AM.
Old 01-07-2011, 01:43 AM   #49
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Thanks for your input.
I know about such systems. I have repaired them for many years (over 20 actually, albeit on large mining equipment which monitor and control engine, trans, implements, hydraulics, brakes, etc). They fail. They are man made and are not idiot proof. Sensors fail (eg: go out of their parameters and give incorrect readings, gauges fail, floats fall of, blah blah blah).
Operators/drivers drive through flashing lights and sounding alarms.
I also know that prestart checks are a critical part of vehicle maintenance, along with simple preventive maintenance.
People need educating in these areas of maintenance and not rely on the monitoring systems as a fail safe system. That was my point.
Should be part of the licencing process, if it isn't already (I think some schools do it now).
Some schools were doing it 20 years ago but it does not seem to work.

Yes systems can fail, I have never suggested they don't. Yes some drivers will ignore them and they are the same ones that probably know they have a brake light out and can not be bothered changing it.

What they do is assist the common motorist to recognise the fault in the vast majority of cases as it happens. It happened in our 2007 Mini a couple of months ago, the warning light came on and I pulled over and checked my lights, to find a blown low beam. It was day time so I did not need my headlights by law but I drive with them on for increased safety. On my way home I stopped in at my local Repco and bought a new globe, fitted it in the car park and the problem was solved. The end result was when I had to leave for work that night, I had working head lights.

In your world I would have checked my headlights before driving (because we know all drivers do a thorough vehicle check before any drive) and found the blown globe, with no where to buy a new one. I think my system works better.

As for systems failing, yes they do. I bet you still drive though, even when there is a possibility your brakes will suffer a mechanical fault and fail you. We rely on these machines on the balance of probability every time we get in them. We have faith that the balance of probability is weighted in a way that they are more likely to function properly and not fail us. If we did not, we would not drive and would walk instead.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:18 AM   #50
J.C.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

IN MY WORLD!!!
I take offence to that comment.

Let me tell you a little more about my world.
My job requires me to do prestart checks by law. Part of the safety auditing system that is required under certain regulations. I have found it a useful tool.

Let me put this more simply for you in the hope you will understand.
1. Anything man made will eventually crap itself. These systems you reply on are man made and designed.
2. Humans are dumb by nature. We are not born loaded with knowledge. The only way we learn is to be taught or learn from our mistakes or others.

Honestly, WTF do I know about this subject huh? The question you should be asking yourself is "where does my level of expertize truely lie?".

Oh. Congratulations on fixing the mini. You're damn lucky the light came on to tell you a bulb was blown...... Tell me. What if that little light was blown? No, no. Wait. I know. You'd get a text message .........right?
Phfffffffff.
Old 01-07-2011, 03:59 AM   #51
The Outsider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanstev
so for a few minutes I thought I had done something really stupid, when it wasn't my fault at all.

If I had hit him, I would have thought it was my fault.

and i would suggest that it is still your fault

i tell people tail/brake lights are out on a regular basis.

i would hope someone would do the same for me.

afterall it is the right thing to do.
The Outsider is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2011, 05:52 AM   #52
NickyN
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Here's some things I've experienced.

1. I've flashed my headlights at a driver coming toward me to let the driver know that their lights aren't on. Most times he (or she) turns their lights and flashes it as a thank you. But every once in awhile there's the driver who will purposely flash their high beams at me so for the split second I feel blinded... real nice. Then I wish I didn't notice their lights. grrrr.............

2. In a parking lot I saw that someone's gas cap was missing because the cover was open and tried to let the driver know. I went up to their window (driver was still parked) and pointed to the gas cap area and mouthed "missing cap." Yup you can guess it, she waved me off and I could hear her say "go away." Ok so I went away. Oh well.... guess she found out on her own later. At least I tried. And fyi I was dressed nicely too.

Sometimes even with good intentions it's not appreciated, but I understand, it could be scary from the other side. Telling someone is the nice thing to do,... well, sometimes I guess.
NickyN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2011, 08:35 AM   #53
ryanstev

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Outsider
and i would suggest that it is still your fault
I'm not sure how you would get that idea, I had a 4 second following distance, he braked, but I had no idea, I only noticed that I was suddenly getting a lot closer to him, so I braked to keep my distance, but I was still getting closer so I had to brake even harder.

He braked hard, but had no lights on, unless I had a telepathic ability to know he was braking, why would I brake when he did and why would I brake hard like he did?

When you follow people and they have working brake lights, do you slam your brakes on as soon as you see their brake lights come on? No, you brake gently, if you have a following distance you can then adjust your braking pressure if you realise that they are braking hard.

If their brake lights aren't working, then unless you brake hard straight away, you're going to get either very close to them, or hit them.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:58 AM   #54
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanstev
I'm not sure how you would get that idea, I had a 4 second following distance, he braked, but I had no idea, I only noticed that I was suddenly getting a lot closer to him, so I braked to keep my distance, but I was still getting closer so I had to brake even harder.

He braked hard, but had no lights on, unless I had a telepathic ability to know he was braking, why would I brake when he did and why would I brake hard like he did?

When you follow people and they have working brake lights, do you slam your brakes on as soon as you see their brake lights come on? No, you brake gently, if you have a following distance you can then adjust your braking pressure if you realise that they are braking hard.

If their brake lights aren't working, then unless you brake hard straight away, you're going to get either very close to them, or hit them.
This is where it become tricky, you would have to prove his brake lights did not work which will be hard to do because by that time they do not work, they are spread all over the road.

Most of the time, if you are at a safe following distance and an alert driver you will still have enough room to perceive the hazard and respond without the brake lights to warn you
Old 01-07-2011, 10:42 AM   #55
happy1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The most annoying defect is old diesel monsters that is smoking black continously, Why can't people get some new fuel injectors, (approx $ 500 for a 4-cylinder) It would save them money after a few fuel tanks, and it would save us from clouds of black pollution.. In particular i get annoyed by commercial trucks and delivery vans spewing out black clouds. I write down their company details, and rego, and phone their manager to tell what i think about it..

Also, I've spotted parked cars with missing wheel nuts / bolts. That's not acceptable at all, and if I spot this I have left notes on some of them, recommending them to stop driving until wheels are properly on again.
happy1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2011, 11:04 AM   #56
FTE72
Red is nice Mark.

Quote:

Well if my brakelights were not working and I had been informed, I would not continue to drive close to the car infront and brake late in bumper to bumper traffic for 15km's.(an example) It is not hard to tell if someone gives a crap or not.
I have had the odd courteous thank you, but mostly disregard.
I am not some dogooder watching out for defects just to have a go at people. I just dislike carelessness and a lack of courtesy making an already unpleasant carpark commute worse.
TE 50 #72 Blueprint & TS 50 #105 Blueprint
:
FTE72 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2011, 11:43 AM   #57
superpursuit83
KITTY Crew Member

You guys should check your light every day..

Maybe its embedded in me from driving the cranes/trucks, but every morning before I raise the garage door I check indicators and brake lights. Easy to do when they are reflecting off the roller door.

And I love telling people that they can get there whole car repainted FREE when I see Shockwave B series with paint missing.

BAII Super Pursuit 0083

Awsome power by XTREME FORD TUNING 500rwkw New ALLOY Block

Awesome exhaust by THE EXHAUST CENTRE MIDLAND

Awesome Kenne Bell Supercharger setup by AGRO! and Bluepower Racing Developments

Now with full DOT approval and Permitted for road use
superpursuit83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2011, 11:46 AM   #58
FTE72
Red is nice Mark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superpursuit83

Maybe its embedded in me from driving the cranes/trucks, but every morning before I raise the garage door I check indicators and brake lights. Easy to do when they are reflecting off the roller door.

And I love telling people that they can get there whole car repainted FREE when I see Shockwave B series with paint missing.
Yep, it isn't hard at all.
TE 50 #72 Blueprint & TS 50 #105 Blueprint
:
FTE72 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2011, 11:54 AM   #59
J.C.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by superpursuit83

Don't be silly man!
That takes some thought and could override the onboard warning systems that tells you your lights are faulty.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:05 PM   #60
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Don't be silly man!
That takes some thought and could override the onboard warning systems that tells you your lights are faulty.
But does not tell you if a brake light or head light globe has blown during the duration of your drive, at least once a day you know they all work.