Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-05-2010, 12:35 PM   #31
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyhilton
In-fact the Mondeo is now too good, compared to the Falcon the Mondeo offers an array of modern, high tech features (call them useless if you must) that our Falcon doesn't even offer as an option! Compared to the G6E, the Titanium/XR5 Turbo Mondeo delivers:

- Driver's knee airbag
- Collision Mitigation
- Forward Collision Warning
- Adaptive Cruise Control
- Sunroof
- Dynamic Headlights
- Cornering Lamps
- Smart Key with 'Ford Power' starter button
- Park Assist (including front parking sensors)
- Rain sensing wipers
- Ford Easy Fuel® (capless refuelling with mis-fuel inhibitor)
- Optional Diesel engine
- Bi-Xenon headlights (XR5 Only)
- Voice Control
- USB music port

Every feature you listed there I think is useful. Some of these features I am shocked you can get on a car under 100 grand.

Titanium TDCI wagon thanks!! Any word on tow ratings - does the upgrade change anything?
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2010, 12:49 PM   #32
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
I can't think of a holden with a twin clutch semi auto, which one?
cruze/commo basicly 6speed, more so with the eco badge.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_6T40_transmission
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_6L50_transmission
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_6L80_transmission

Last edited by burnz; 11-05-2010 at 01:02 PM.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2010, 01:10 PM   #33
daz82
In the family since 1996

That is not a DSG / Dual clutch style gearbox, it is a standard automatic!
daz82 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2010, 01:11 PM   #34
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

I think you will find these transmisions are conventional automatics with a torque converter rather than a twin clutch semi auto which is in reality a two manual gear boxes operated by 2 electronically operated clutches.

The reference to clutches on the link you gave appears to be an internal system to replace the conventional brake bands. If this is the case it does not make this transmission a twin clutch semi auto that is described in the following extract of the mondeo media release.
Quote:
This transmission is a state-of-the-art dual-clutch design that is significantly more efficient than traditional torque-converter automatics, resulting in fuel economy and CO2 emissions which are typically reduced by 8-10 per cent, and which are very close to those achieved with a manual gearbox.

The Ford PowerShift transmission was developed by Getrag Ford Transmissions GmbH as a 50:50 Ford/GETRAG joint venture and essentially consists of two layshaft transmissions working in parallel, each with its own wet-clutch unit.

Thanks to the layout of the intermediate shafts – one carrying the 'uneven' gears 1, 3 and 5, and the other the 'even' gears 2, 4 and 6 – subsequent gear changes can be prepared by pre-selecting the next gear while in motion and at full power.
Old 11-05-2010, 01:15 PM   #35
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
I think you will find these transmisions are conventional automatics with a torque converter rather than a twin clutch semi auto which is in reality a two manual gear boxes operated by 2 electronically operated clutches.

The reference to clutches on the link you gave appears to be an internal system to replace the conventional brake bands. If this is the case it does not make this transmission a twin clutch semi auto that is described in the following extract of the mondeo media release.
Correct.. Holden Commodore with a twin clutche auto?? yeh in about 30 years time.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2010, 01:16 PM   #36
burnz
VFII SS UTE

i think you will find no torque converters.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2010, 01:22 PM   #37
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

It's because they have no torque :P
Falc'man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2010, 01:27 PM   #38
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz
i think you will find no torque converters.
I think you will, all manufacturers that have a twin clutch DSG type transmission plaster a description all through their promotion material, no mention in Holden's on their web site.

I think you may have fallen prey to holden dodgy marketing and playing on words to give false impression of having features they do not have.
Old 11-05-2010, 01:48 PM   #39
rst2000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
RRP 36 grand for a TDCI Mondeo wagon, that is incredibly good value. Gee I can see a few people picking the Mondeo over the Falcon.

should sell a few.

and this rwd territory owner as well.

Last edited by rst2000; 11-05-2010 at 02:04 PM.
rst2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2010, 02:02 PM   #40
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
It's because they have no torque :P
nice little jab there
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2010, 02:15 PM   #41
BAxtER
ive been 4490'd

ive been looking for some time at a new car with good fuel economy. The mondeo diesels were making me look at either the cx7 or passat diesel...but these improvements are the icing on the cake for me! ford can consider one sold.
www.taipanmotorsport.com.au
BAxtER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2010, 02:42 PM   #42
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There seems to be a very good response to these changes.. Have Ford finally got the Mondeo right & will we see nice increase in sales?? Time will tell!!
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2010, 03:27 PM   #43
falcon convert

Is there any word on upgrades to the interior? In my view the current interior lets down an otherwise excellent (and soon to be even more excellent) car. A Mondeo diesel wagon with an upgraded interior - now you're talking!
falcon convert is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2010, 03:38 PM   #44
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon convert
Is there any word on upgrades to the interior? In my view the current interior lets down an otherwise excellent (and soon to be even more excellent) car. A Mondeo diesel wagon with an upgraded interior - now you're talking!
I would like to know (for my own interest) what you see wrong with the interior? I think it is quite good and while a bit too much silver finish it is quite ok. Lightyears ahead of a VE commodore for example or for that matter, a camry.

This update is very impressive and the large % fuel economy gains are a sign of the benefit of the DSG transmission over a (quite good mind) conventional auto. Given the 2.0 ecoboost mondeo (the new base petrol engine) will also run the dsg (based on what i've read) you can expect big improvements in both driveability (torque baby!) and fuel economy.

Does anyone know how this 'update' ties in with the mondeo 'facelift' planned for the car in europe in the next 6months? Will ford just migrate over to that car in time with the new petrol engine coming online then?? The updated car has a new bumper/styling changes and some interior mods i believe....

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2010, 04:07 PM   #45
falcon convert

"I think it is quite good and while a bit too much silver finish it is quite ok."

I think that is my problem. The silver finish looks a bit tacky and the abundance of hard plastics do not do the otherwise comfortable and well laid out interior justice.

2 years ago I went into a dealer to buy a Mondeo hatch and drove out in a G6E! One of factors (though not the only one ) in this change of heart was the superior ambience of the G6E cabin.

But next time round I want a wagon - Territory or Mondeo thankyou (spoilt for choice in my view!). The new Mondeo wagon is a sexy beast from the outside and with further improvements to performance and economy on the way, I will be very tempted - as long as the interior is OK

Some may find this silly, but I see and touch and feel and "live in" the interior every day - it is every bit as important to me as the exterior looks and the performance.
falcon convert is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2010, 04:13 PM   #46
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
There seems to be a very good response to these changes.. Have Ford finally got the Mondeo right & will we see nice increase in sales?? Time will tell!!
Well sometimes a little spec and powertrain adjustments, a few extra variants, and an effective advertising campaign can do wonders.

I have a feeling Mondeo wont do as bad as I first thought, just the little industrial tool sales office I pass on my way home over the last 3 months has replaced their 3 BF and 2 FG Falcons with 5 Mondeo diesels.

With the improvements to the diesel and transmission plus the addition of the wagon variants it will probably increase sales a bit.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2010, 08:35 PM   #47
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon convert
Some may find this silly, but I see and touch and feel and "live in" the interior every day - it is every bit as important to me as the exterior looks and the performance.
Don't think there is anything silly about that. If you spend bulk time in the vehicle you want refinement, space, comfortable seats and nice interior.

I found the previous petrol & diesel underwhelming. This new engine is a huge leap in the right direction. When the eco-boost 4cyl comes that will be even better.

Interestingly, if they are now punching out 120kW/340Nm from this 2.0 TDi4 then i wonder what the Territory will end up with from the 2.7L TDV6. 150kW/450Nm would be nice numbers!

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2010, 09:15 PM   #48
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Umm sorry to be a wet blanket but other than the DSG I don't see anything major over the Mazda 6 diesel that has 136kw, 400Nm and 5.9L/100km across the diesel range.
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2010, 09:26 PM   #49
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddis01
Umm sorry to be a wet blanket but other than the DSG I don't see anything major over the Mazda 6 diesel that has 136kw, 400Nm and 5.9L/100km across the diesel range.
Well one is an auto for starters (if DSG)..... Try getting the average middle aged socer mum to drive a manual every day in the city when an equivalent vehicle has an auto that burns the same....

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Old 11-05-2010, 09:51 PM   #50
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

I did say other than the DSG. We will see which ends up selling more in time.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:22 PM   #51
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddis01
I did say other than the DSG. We will see which ends up selling more in time.
Good point....didn't see that rather obvious bit when i read it. was skip reading a bit at the time i think. I think the dsg (auto bit) is a fair bit more important than you might think.

As for which sells more, well overall mazda 6 has mondeo easy as we know (for a range of reasons....not many of them product related niether). but as for diesel versus diesel well that is another thing. As a % diesel is a big part of mondeo sales. For the mazda 6 i can honestly say i've only seen a few diesels of the current model at all...alot of petrols though. So diesel versus diesel...well i'm not sure but mondeo migth win that one.....

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Old 11-05-2010, 10:49 PM   #52
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordsman88
Good point....didn't see that rather obvious bit when i read it. was skip reading a bit at the time i think. I think the dsg (auto bit) is a fair bit more important than you might think.

As for which sells more, well overall mazda 6 has mondeo easy as we know (for a range of reasons....not many of them product related niether). but as for diesel versus diesel well that is another thing. As a % diesel is a big part of mondeo sales. For the mazda 6 i can honestly say i've only seen a few diesels of the current model at all...alot of petrols though. So diesel versus diesel...well i'm not sure but mondeo migth win that one.....
It would be interesting to see diesel versus diesel figures. However my opinion is that the diesel Mondeo sells well as a percentage of total Mondeo sales because the petrol Mondeo is a little underwhelming. I mean 118kW, 208Nm lugging approx 1550kg around. Everyone on here bags the 3L Commodore yet the Commodore has about 50% more power per tonne and about 28% more torque per tonne than the Mondeo. Is it little wonder the diesel Mondeo might sell a bit better than the petrol?

Using the list Danny Hilton provided, I don't think the extra $$$ for the Mondeo is really warranted compared to the 6. Most of those features in my opinion are just a gimmick. By the way, Mondeo is no longer the only mid sizer with Voice Control. Well for Bluetooth anyway.

Last edited by naddis01; 11-05-2010 at 10:56 PM.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:53 PM   #53
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordsman88
One thing the Mondeo may have over the Mazda 6 diesel is that the mazda 6 diesel only comes with a manual transmission which severely limits sales of that car. I'm looking forward to trying out the new Mondeo transmission.
Silver Ghia is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post