Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-01-2010, 04:42 PM   #31
El Venom
normality is boring
Donating Member1

I tend to agree with most people. more then double the price and niot that much faster. I would get the F6 and throw some money on mods and then see which is better. Now if they were to compare the W427 to cars around the same price I have a feeling it would be put to shame

Factory v8 with turbonetics 67mm turbo, haltech ecu, aeromotive and raceworks fuel system, cobra intake and a few custom bits thrown in
El Venom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2010, 04:57 PM   #32
Chopped
as in chopped

Camden Airport, Australia
Lap Times

1. Porsche 997 GT2 1:06.92
2. Nissan GT-R 1:07.06
3. Lamborghini Murcielago LP640 1:07.69
4. Mercedes CLK 63 Black Series 1:10.44
5. Porsche 997 Carrera S (2008 facelift) 1:11.69
6. Maserati GranTurismo S 1:11.82
7. Audi R8 1:11.87 (wet)
8. Lotus Elise 111R 1:12.28
9. HSV W427 1:12.56
10. BMW M3 (E92) 1:13.40
11. HSV ClubSport R8 Tourer 1:13.53
12. HSV ClubSport R8 1:13.60
13. Nissan 370Z 1:13.63
14. Mercedes CLS 63 AMG 1:13.72
15. Mercedes SL 63 AMG 1:14.08
16. Jaguar XF SV8 1:14.22
17. Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X MR 1:14.28
18. BMW 135i Coupe (E82) 1:14.90
19. BMW X6 xDrive50i 1:15.31
20. Ford Falcon XT 1:20.41
21. Holden Commodore Omega 1:22.06
Old 19-01-2010, 05:07 PM   #33
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

The W427 is faster, but it would want to be for the asking price. And who's surprised that it's faster? I'm not, it was always going to be faster. The thing is that a few simple mods FPV could do to the F6 and it would easily perform the same as the W427, and wouldn't cost a packet either.

Grippier and wider rear tyres, 380mm Brembos and a decent set of coilovers would just about do it. I don't even think it needs extra power, although another lb or 2 of boost would certainly ensure it would have the W427s measure I think. Brakes + Tyres + Suspension = Rspec F6 and W427 rivalling performance for under 100 g's!
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2010, 05:13 PM   #34
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra
The W427 is faster, but it would want to be for the asking price. And who's surprised that it's faster? I'm not, it was always going to be faster. The thing is that a few simple mods FPV could do to the F6 and it would easily perform the same as the W427, and wouldn't cost a packet either.

Grippier and wider rear tyres, 380mm Brembos and a decent set of coilovers would just about do it. I don't even think it needs extra power, although another lb or 2 of boost would certainly ensure it would have the W427s measure I think. Brakes + Tyres + Suspension = Rspec F6 and W427 rivalling performance for under 100 g's!
That is pretty much what I think too.
Old 19-01-2010, 05:19 PM   #35
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I see this comparison a little biassed based on the fact that the w427 is as said 80k more expensive than the f6 - I hazard a guess that if you gave two groups the same budget lets say enough to buy a w427 and one groub bought an f6 and dropped 40k on mods still would have change and I think would hand it to the w427 this is the same argument I have with people in my social circle dollar for dollar the bang for buck of the I6T cannot be bettered it took a car twice the price to beat it marginally - come on 2x the price! that should speak volumes as to how good the I6T really is and that is a huuuuuuuge overweight bout in favour of the w427

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2010, 05:24 PM   #36
AC
Saving for a Jet Car

Do they use the same driver for every lap, if not, then that throws out the times too.
Hard to have a reliable time using different drivers.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2010, 05:34 PM   #37
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfiguring R
This has been posted before. It's the FG F6 doing a lap around a track: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ULmb5Rce-Q

And now the W427 has had a run around, I believe, the same track: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Crjx5fj8cpY

I had a hunch that the W427 would be quicker around the track. Even though I'm a Ford guy, and really don't like the looks of the W427, I gotta hand it to HSV. This car is badass.

I haven't even read the replies in this thread because I can near guarantee they will be one of three things:

1) "Unfair to compare a Turbo6 to a V8"
2) "It (W427) was still a flop so who cares etc"
3) "F6 driver must have been a newbie/not known the track"

Guarantee it will be mainly one of the above three because most people on here will claim an F6 will flog the pants off anything - until something is shown to beat one and then come all the excuses.

Call me what you like but I would park a W427 in my driveway every day - right next to an F6.
Old 19-01-2010, 05:44 PM   #38
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
I haven't even read the replies in this thread because I can near guarantee they will be one of three things:

Guarantee it will be mainly one of the above three because most people on here will claim an F6 will flog the pants off anything - until something is shown to beat one and then come all the excuses.

Call me what you like but I would park a W427 in my driveway every day - right next to an F6.
I didn't say that I argued that on cost an f6 with 80k in the hand to mod would destroy an w427 equating into a faster car for the same dollars.

Old 19-01-2010, 05:49 PM   #39
fou_bleu
Get EcoBoosted

Well I put it this way - the F6 could have potentially beaten the W427 if the same driver drove both cars on the same day.

You see - the F6 did a pretty big - even massive - drift out of the last corner - which is DEFINITELY NOT the fastest way out of a corner!

Then when the stopwatch's stopped there was just under a second in it! (Which is arguably a length in the racing world - but not $80k's worth!).

I have a theory. With $150k, you could easily have a 9-10sec F6 (whilst the 427 only does 12.8's at best). That's if you want straight line speed.

What if you wanted a track car? Well, with some proper tyres (eh, FPV?) & a flash tune you could easily make the F6 a force to be reckoned with!

Unless you were a diehard Holden, HSV, or GM fan, why would you even consider it?!

PS: I realise it was designed for cashed up bogans, but come on - if your gonna go fast in an Aussie car, you may as well do it right...
fou_bleu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2010, 05:55 PM   #40
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

You ever tried to get the power down in an F6 out of a slowish corner that crosses camber on the exit.... They light the rears up a bit in a straight line in that speed let alone with a couple of ton of momentum pushing them in a different direction...

All the other hooplah about spending this and that to make the F6 like the space shuttle is all horsepoo really. On a track it will be tyres and suspension that will do more for the time than more power, as the F6 can't really get what it has down anyway. Give them more power and they will probably go slower. I have seen that at FPV drive days when you have all these gazillion kw F6s that I see lap slower than I do in a stocker.
Old 19-01-2010, 06:01 PM   #41
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews
You ever tried to get the power down in an F6 out of a slowish corner that crosses camber on the exit.... They light the rears up a bit in a straight line in that speed let alone with a couple of ton of momentum pushing them in a different direction...

All the other hooplah about spending this and that to make the F6 like the space shuttle is all horsepoo really. On a track it will be tyres and suspension that will do more for the time than more power, as the F6 can't really get what it has down anyway. Give them more power and they will probably go slower. I have seen that at FPV drive days when you have all these gazillion kw F6s that I see lap slower than I do in a stocker.
well if that be the case 40k worth of brakes, tyres and suspension have to make it handle better than it currently does, it is possible to go just as fast with a wad of cash in your pocket in the F6 for fuel or trackdays, or hell another F6 just in case you couldn't choose a color or something

Old 19-01-2010, 06:07 PM   #42
Corzza

F6 stands up well to the W427

F6 was an auto too

Race 2 Clipsal 500 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NOZvWBp4Eo

"I plucked her into first, gave it some jandal and F@#$ Yeah!" - Scott McLaughlin
Corzza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2010, 06:08 PM   #43
Quicksand
Lucky, lucky bastard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensationFG8
I think the correct conversion is 900 milliseconds... This is the cost of performance though, once you get to a certain point the price to squeeze another second out becomes astronomical.
I agree with you (and so would anyone who knows even a little about racing) but these cars are not at that point yet. Not even close. A few hundred dollars for better rubber alone would knock off a second or two.

$80,000 only got the W427 one second on a track? (yes i know the W427 is about more than speed but we're talking about track results here) Spend $80,000 on the F6 and see which one crosses the line first.

FWIW, the W427 is a great car and a whole lot more car than the F6 but lets compare oranges with oranges here.

For me, the F6 did well to punch above its weight!
Old 19-01-2010, 06:09 PM   #44
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbaxr6t
well if that be the case 40k worth of brakes, tyres and suspension have to make it handle better than it currently does, it is possible to go just as fast with a wad of cash in your pocket in the F6 for fuel or trackdays, or hell another F6 just in case you couldn't choose a color or something
Or you could instead have the best production car ever made in Australia, which is without doubt the W427.
Old 19-01-2010, 06:12 PM   #45
Transfiguring R

Quote:

Damn, you're good! You missed only one option:

4) "Modded F6 will beat the pants off it"

Guys, we bagged the 427 out in the other thread not so long ago. Yes, it's ugly. Yes, the price is morally wrong. Yes, it's just a commodore. And, yes, the F6 is a great car...

However, the purpose of this thread was purely to show that the W427 is indeed a very good performer for a big heavy sedan, and that clip is proof.

Over and out. ;)
Old 19-01-2010, 06:20 PM   #46
fou_bleu
Get EcoBoosted

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews
Or you could instead have the best production car ever made in Australia, which is without doubt the W427.
What makes it the best Australian car? The all-American V8? 7.0L compared to Ford's 4.0l or 5.4? Why not the F6 - with it's Australian designed, tested & built I6 & I6T?
fou_bleu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2010, 06:23 PM   #47
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfiguring R
Damn, you're good! You missed only one option:

4) "Modded F6 will beat the pants off it"

Guys, we bagged the 427 out in the other thread not so long ago. Yes, it's ugly. Yes, the price is morally wrong. Yes, it's just a commodore. And, yes, the F6 is a great car...

However, the purpose of this thread was purely to show that the W427 is indeed a very good performer for a big heavy sedan, and that clip is proof.

Over and out. ;)
Correct you are - as is evident in even just the past few replies since mine, out come the "well if you modded an F6.........." replies.

The test was stock cars, not modded cars, not cars done up to a budget - it was ring up a dealer, order one and pick one up kind of cars.

Anybody can have a car modded to flog the pants off another - this is about how the cars come stock.

As for the Australian designed, built and tested - um you do know that Ford is American don't you?
Old 19-01-2010, 06:26 PM   #48
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordman6
PS: I realise it was designed for cashed up bogans, but come on - if your gonna go fast in an Aussie car, you may as well do it right...
Geez, your 'Aussie Pride Meter' in your sig had me thinking you were one of said bogans.... :
Old 19-01-2010, 06:26 PM   #49
trippytaka
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Me, and allot of others..

Id look at track times over 1/4 times any day of the week, it gives a truer indication of how the total package works on the road where you need to brake and corner rather than just accelerate in a straight line.....

3 seconds a lap is allot quicker....
My feelings too. 1/4 mile isn't an issue with me compared to lap times.
trippytaka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2010, 06:34 PM   #50
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The test was stock cars, not modded cars, not cars done up to a budget - it was ring up a dealer, order one and pick one up kind of cars.
that may be the case but if you have the budget for a w427 you wouldn't even consider an F6 :

stupid comparison lock the thread already...

Old 19-01-2010, 06:41 PM   #51
Transfiguring R

Re-read the third post, mrbaxr6t...
Old 19-01-2010, 06:43 PM   #52
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbaxr6t
that may be the case but if you have the budget for a w427 you wouldn't even consider an F6 :

stupid comparison lock the thread already...
I would, does that make me a weirdo? Just because I potentially had $150k to spend on a car and didnt spend that much, would it be such a bad thing?
Old 19-01-2010, 06:50 PM   #53
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Holden did a good job with the W427. No, it isn't a Ford which is why some responses show nothing but denial, but for a factory vehicle, it's damn good.

The F6 for the price is one of the best cars in Australia, but not everybody wants a turbo 6. Some people want a V8 and something different.

The W427 was a niche market...it didn't sell as many as expected, but at least they gave it a go.

If Ford had an equivalent vehicle, you'd be wiping your keyboards with spray and wipe constantly...

I would never buy one because I don't have the money (duh) nor am I interested in a car that is necessarily the fastest nor do I want a HSV.
However, for what it is, it's a good car.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2010, 06:59 PM   #54
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

I'm sorry but that drift he continued out of the last corner would have cost a bit
Old 19-01-2010, 07:06 PM   #55
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

Its faster, but only just, for 80g more it should be alot faster i think lol, especially with 75kws more!
Old 19-01-2010, 07:27 PM   #56
T3ts50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would love to see the F6 around the track against an E2 GTS considering it pretty much has the same suspension and brakes as the W427 (when optioned).
T3ts50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2010, 08:01 PM   #57
tezxr8man
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it seemed a bit suspicious to me that the W427 was that well behaved on the limit have seen one of these a few times without driver aids and they are pretty messy not even close to the limit like that
it looks like he wasn't pushing that hard or had traction control on???
tezxr8man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2010, 08:45 PM   #58
mcnews
Trev

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR8fella
I'm sorry but that drift he continued out of the last corner would have cost a bit
Probably not even that lap but kept in for ooh-ahh value in the final edit. You don't honestly believe all the external camera, internal camera etc. was all done on the same lap....
Old 19-01-2010, 09:13 PM   #59
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

I dont care that the F6 is slower listin to the 7L N/A V8. Sure id love FPV to do something similar but wont happen.
The WD40 was always going to be faster and it should be to, hats off. Id own one in heart beat even though im not sold on the looks yet. (looks much better in that colour)
And to those harping about modding an F6, remember the WD40 has FACTORY WARRANTY to

Last edited by DJM83; 19-01-2010 at 09:18 PM.
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2010, 09:19 PM   #60
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Ahh cannot beat a motor with with a W in its capacity !! Lol...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post