Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-12-2010, 02:06 AM   #31
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
Don't forget that the 'Seafoam' and Kero you mentioned are supposedly carbon removers. IE to get rid of carbon build up on pistons, valves etc, and is used through the inlet system.

Flushing works on the internal bits that splash around in the slippery stuff.

If you do the Kero thing and it gets rid of the sludge inside the rocker cover there's something seriously wrong somewhere
Kero gets addd to the oil to flush out sludge, never heard putting it down the carby, would be a very smoky experience and probably add to your carbon problems.

Either use injector cleaner additive or water injection to clean out carbon in the combustion chambers, possibly metho injection, or mixture of water and metho.....
XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2010, 09:26 AM   #32
msman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
Last time I used Penrite HPR 10W-50 semi synthetic, this time I'm using Nulon 15W-50 full synthetic. Got some Shell Helix HX3 for a flushing oil.
don't bother, use mineral the synthetic won't give you any benefits on that engine.

just change it quicker same $$.
$20 oil at 5,000K
$40 oil at 10,000K

if it was in good nick or high performance go syn.

I would personally get a few drums of diesel 15/40 from truck parts store $90/20litre drum, and dump the oil every week/2 until it starts to come out clean.
msman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2010, 11:39 AM   #33
Highway

in older engines I just warm up the engine a little, dump all the oil. then with a 40/60 mix of kero and diesel fill it up take it for a low rev run for about 10 mins.

Dump all the flush and the filter and fill it up with a good quality sae20/50. I have done this to a lot of engines in my time and never really had any big problems with seals as the diesel fuel and kero (paraffin oil) are hydrocarbons.
Old 27-12-2010, 02:21 PM   #34
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
I would change the oil every 500km, but that would be less than a weeks worth of driving for us, would get quite expensive.
Ok if you doing lots of Km its even more important to do something about the mess inside the engine.

May be just change it every 2 weeks till is starts to clean up inside the engine.

Just use cheap oil, don't bother with synthetic oil and stuff in that engine. Personally I would use the cheapest mineral oil I can find till it cleans up, then I would either use Penrite HPR40 or HPR50 and change it every 4-6000km to maintain the clean engine, flushing each time you change oil. I personally wouldn't go past 8000km without fully changing and flushing the engine oil.

You could also add Nulon Worn engine treatment at each oil change once the engine is clean again.
XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post