Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 05-06-2011, 11:10 PM   #31
ToCo
Drives a Ute!

Default Re: Facial hair

I have just started growing myself a set of chin straps, doesn't bother the missus, does get very itchy sometimes though, Strangely I have about 3 or 4 ranga hairs right on my chin, I try to get rid of those though.
Old 05-06-2011, 11:15 PM   #32
Dezza
Parts bin special

I usually have a beard. I've shaved it off on occasions, I went the goatee for a while but recently I grew the sides back. Might keep it like this for a while. I keep it fairly short and like how it disguises my double chin.

I have noticed society does seem to frown upon beards. People expect everyone to be clean shaven, hair kept short, and walk around in button-up shirts etc. So much for being an individual.

Daily 2010 FG XR50T ute - Lightning Strike
6 speed manual, XR8 bonnet, hardlid, Streetfighter airbox

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2011, 11:18 PM   #33
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

I shave every 2-3 Days, hate the itch of facial hair and the way mine grows with a shortcut beard it would look all kinds of strange with holes in random places.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2011, 11:20 PM   #34
tankclare
BURN RUBBER NOT OIL

I dont mind growing a bit of a beard although it can be patchy. I shaved the other day after not shaving for a month or more and heaps of people say I look different. Im 20 turning 21 in october and have only ever got asked for ID twice ever until the other day after a shave. A bloke who looked younger then me asked for ID when I bought a scooner at a pub. He stood there for ages looking at my license (which is an open/full licnese may I add). I was like WTF!.

I can't wait for it to grow back properly. Hate not having some form of facial hair.

[SMOKES] FG XR6 build thread - http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?p=4795218#post4795218

tankclare is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2011, 12:25 AM   #35
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

i scrap it off at least once a day.
feels uncumfy when it grows. i like the clean smooth look / feel.

i could grow a full beard with no problem but i just dont like it.
`04 BA XR6 Turbo sedan. Blueprint. auto, Leather trim.
`03 BA XLS ute . Acid Rush, factory lpg, auto,
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`62 Willys 6-230 , 4x4 light truck
`04 Yamaha TTR 250
dave351cid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2011, 01:19 AM   #36
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

I can grow a full beard but tried a gotee for a couple of months and got over the extra work I had to do.

I shave once a week as with my job I don't really have to shave all the time only at certain occasions (big meetings, leader of the opposition coming down, etc..) otherwise I let it grow.
Old 06-06-2011, 02:08 AM   #37
my67xr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: This contribution: 04 SX TX AWD, drama's replacing upper outer joints w/Nolathane replacements 

ive had a goatee for the last 18 years, never been much of a shaver
gone for the full beard lately, warmer face in winter,
also being a panel beater/welder/fabricator/painter it stops the sparks from burning your face as quick
heres a pic of me with 3 months growth, i have trimmed the side a bit since the pic
im another member with a hint of ginger and some grey, it gets a bit darker as it gets longer
no itchiness, you just need to wash/shampoo it better
the wife hates it too, i dont care i hardly see it, lol

click below to view my build threads
67 XR Fairmont
04 SX TX Territory AWD

my67xr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2011, 09:46 AM   #38
Fled74
The Thread Killa

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR_6falcon
i have a beard.... only keep it because it makes me look my age and im too lazy to shave on a regular basis. Have been told i look 14 without it!

Edit: (im 20)
Same. I have the goatee and mo. I'm 36 but without the beard I look 19-20 (being Asian and all). The last time I shaved it all off was for my 32nd birthday and people thought I was 15. Never again.

I work in an office, and I have the beard and shaved head, but my boss has the same look so everyone's cool with it.

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Fled74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2011, 10:12 AM   #39
Sam_Boss260
Have Boost, will use it..

Another goatee / mo combination.

I didn't shave on my first honeymoon (back in 1995) and have had the goatee ever since.

I have to shave for work, but often skip a day of shaving if I can. During holidays I don't shave but can't seem to go past 10 days due to the itchiness.
Sam_Boss260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2011, 10:37 AM   #40
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

I have a chin strap happening....had mutton chops for a while but the missus put a stop to that.

Couldn't grow a 'stache to save a life though.

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2011, 10:51 AM   #41
shedcoupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Amazing that no-ones mentioned the food-in-hair thing.
Watch a beardy eat soup or anything with sauce for example. The bulk of it can be wiped out of a beard but some will always remain, as do crumbs, and traces of snot when the beardy has a cold. As a former beardy I help out those guys who haven't noticed their gross appearance after eating.
Beards, and especially moustaches, need trimming regularly, so you might as well shave as it is a lot easier than messing around in front of a mirror using scissors in both your left and right hands. Shaving can be done quickly in the shower with practice and you don't need a mirror either. Those single-blade disposables do a better job than any fancy 5-bladed turbo/flux capacitor/fancy-pants ripoffs.
After ten years of beardiness (as I looked about 14 without one) I got rid of the face fur and have seldom worn it again.
If facial hair grew where it'd be useful (ie. over the upper part of the face and nose to prevent sunburn) it would be great, but hair around the cake-hole is a mess-collector.
As for whether the ladies like it - they generally don't because moustache hair up their noses in passionate moments isn't fun, though they change their minds about this and everything else frequently. As the species is a million years old yet 'civilisation' is only ten thousand years old, I suspect that psychologically speaking shaved men produce less anxiety in women as compared to hairy brutes, as the clean face indicates boyishness and therefore a less dangerous appearance (unless danger is a requirement at the time).
And yes, psychologically, people are less trusting of beardies for some reason(s).
ZZ Top beards are hot in summer, though they are warm in winter.
Some trivia - my great-grandfather in the days before teabags used to drink his tea through his moustache and then comb out the tealeaves. Nice.
And why is there no beardy emoticon ?

Last edited by shedcoupe; 06-06-2011 at 11:20 AM.
shedcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2011, 11:00 AM   #42
sarrge2001
SZII in Silhouette

I have to keep mine short (and my hair). If I don't i end up looking like the Paddle Pop Lion.

Hadn't shaved mine off for 20 years and then a few weeks ago I went to trim it.......put the clippers (without a comb) on the lowest setting instead of the highest (hungover) and did a pass on the moustache.....oops......not much to do to recover from half a mo so off came the whole lot.

I have to say my face looked a lot older than the last time i saw it.......

It's grown back now though so all's good......

Strangers have the best candy.......
sarrge2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2011, 11:23 AM   #43
RepSpec
Formerly XG-Panelvanman

funny this came up, me and a mate were talking bout this yesterday.

ive been able to grow a beard since i was 14 but unfortunatley for me it grows red (im blonde) but i can only last bout 2 weeks of growth before it gets shaved. normally have a "flavor savour" tho. normally have bout a week of growth before it gets to me.

my mate is the same age and can only grow "chin pubes" as i call them. its taken him a month to grow something patchy and pubie and he loves it . his missus doesnt tho lol

BA MK2 Wagon, dedicated LPG, white.

modifications:
cargo barriers, tow bar
RepSpec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2011, 11:35 AM   #44
ch33z1l
Dawn

I went a month without shaving and left my hair long...I got the comment that I looked like Dave Grohl from Foo Fighters

I can't keep up with my moe, I'll shave it and it will be back in 2 days. I'm the guy from the Boags ad (and yes, I do drink Boags)

Today, I've got the chin straps.
ch33z1l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2011, 11:44 AM   #45
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've had a full beard for 30 years now at the age of 21 I had to shave twice a day so I decided to let it grow instead

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2011, 02:33 PM   #46
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Vik351 had a beard. I miss his posts.

Epic Beard Man also has a beard. And beats people up to the point they require the amberlamps.
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2011, 02:36 PM   #47
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Remember guys, guns don't kill people...people with mustaches kill people.

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2011, 03:06 PM   #48
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Vik351 had a beard. I miss his posts.

Epic Beard Man also has a beard. And beats people up to the point they require the amberlamps.
what ever happened to good ol vik
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2011, 03:37 PM   #49
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Talking Re: Facial hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin_80
This thread is to gauge everybodies opinions on mens facial hair.
Do you have a beard? If not, why not?

I do have a beard. My fiance said it's an epic beard actualy.
The people I encounter during everyday business who do comment on it have varying opinions.
Some guys say no matter how hard they try they cant grow one - positive. Others outright question my character based on my beard alone - negative. Another common question I receive is whether I am some kind of convert to Islam, a "Cat Stevens."

Europeans have long worn beards. I will give the well known example of the Vikings.
So why do so many Aussie's dislike them?
Is it only that they've tried growing one before but without success?
Of course I have a beard , and have had for 35 years or more

imho anyone who has a bald face is a pommie poofter!!!
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2011, 05:10 PM   #50
Sam_Boss260
Have Boost, will use it..

I once got told my one of my bosses, that I would never go far in my career in sales as I had facial hair, and statisitics show that people with facial hair cannot be trusted. Funnily enough, the guy had a village people type moustache himself !!
Sam_Boss260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2011, 06:57 PM   #51
Halfmo Rocks
Bearded Hermit

i have gone the full beard twice now...getting to about 3 months growth each time, and then shaving it so i could get some female attention...something i found impossible to attain with the beard.
and each time (afterward) i wondered why i bothered, and should have kept the beard going.
planning to start it again now, guy at work just came back from a holiday overseas, and obviously hasn't shaved the whole time he was gone...i'm jealous of his beard now i shaved mine.
Halfmo Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2011, 07:22 PM   #52
321Go

I don't mind my facial hair. I do give it a buzz every now and then with the trimmer on #4.

Here's a pic I took earlier.

321Go is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2011, 07:30 PM   #53
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by shedcoupe
. As for whether the ladies like it - they generally don't because moustache hair up their noses in passionate moments isn't fun, though they change their minds about this and everything else frequently. ?

What about the men the next morning, after these sort of moments?

Having a moustache, you're able to re-live the night before.

Before I got with the current woman,(12 years) I used to have just the moustache, however she wanted me to grow the goatie, so that's the way the face is. Keeps her happy and she keeps it trimmed. What more can a bloke ask for?

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2011, 09:59 PM   #54
hiper
[HIPER-8]

i hate shaving.. i do enough things every day and cant be bothered having a shave as well.
so i tend to zip over my facial hair with trimmers once a week.

brings it down to a 5 o'clock shadow type thing.
doesn't get itchy and isn't too bad on the females if they don't have sensitive skin ;)
1994 EF Fairmont Cardinal Red
hiper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2011, 10:07 PM   #55
ea90gl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Got a shaved head with helmet strap, almost have a perfect score of getting searched before entering international airport just to see people off lol. There must have been 16 guys with 18 back backs entering that other time
ea90gl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2011, 10:08 PM   #56
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

I have the goatee/mo deal going on. My mo whiskers (on the handlebar bits) are about an inch and a half long now and I can twirl them up.

The whole lot is a pain in the **** and is coming off when the baby comes (in about 3 weeks).

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2011, 12:59 AM   #57
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I just use trimmers and keep it to stubble, the gf likes it better than clean shaven... something about being more manly haha
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2011, 03:27 AM   #58
Thornie
Off smelting

I don't think i could grow one, but due to having to wear a full face respirator for work 10 out of the 12 hours a day i work i couldn't have one anyway
Thornie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2011, 06:00 AM   #59
FTE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i keep mine trim to the same length as my hair, which is clipper length (less than #1). I trim the lot every couple of days. That way I can keep the stubble, doesnt rash and looks neat without having to be clean shaven.

Last edited by FTE; 07-06-2011 at 06:01 AM. Reason: ..
FTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2011, 06:51 AM   #60
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Rocks
i have gone the full beard twice now...getting to about 3 months growth each time, and then shaving it so i could get some female attention...something i found impossible to attain with the beard.
and each time (afterward) i wondered why i bothered, and should have kept the beard going.
planning to start it again now, guy at work just came back from a holiday overseas, and obviously hasn't shaved the whole time he was gone...i'm jealous of his beard now i shaved mine.
as I said earlier I have had a beard for 30 years and I have never had trouble getting "female attention" sure there are some women who don't like beards but there are plenty who either don't mind or actually like them

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post