Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-10-2021, 05:51 AM   #31
happy1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: How many times has he been asked...

Current bid right now is 45K. That's a lot to pay for a inner guards with VIN number, a firewall, an old engine and ID tags, when everything else needs replacing.

Easy repair really, just replace a lot of sheet metal, but far from economical.
If it was an Aston Martin or a GT40 Ford barn find it would been fun, but not at that price for a plain Ford coupe.
happy1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 16-10-2021, 08:21 AM   #32
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

A bit

It's amazing what you can find in the most obscure of places. I had reason to waste some time earlier this year whilst I got the oem to replace a window on my ute canopy, so decided to go for a walk. Ended up finding a path that followed a creek through suburban Tullamarine, and came across a house that was an absolute junkyard. Here's a pic I took of a particular 'feature' of many cars and car parts littering the yard. You'd never know any of this was there unless you stumbled across it, just like I did.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 16-10-2021, 01:00 PM   #33
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy1 View Post
Current bid right now is 45K. That's a lot to pay for a inner guards with VIN number, a firewall, an old engine and ID tags, when everything else needs replacing.
Dare I say a re birth contender

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 16-10-2021, 03:00 PM   #34
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy1 View Post

Easy repair really, just replace a lot of sheet metal, but far from economical.
If it was an Aston Martin or a GT40 Ford barn find it would been fun, but not at that price for a plain Ford coupe.
Do you mean the XC coupe is at 45k?
I'm seeing $5,600.
Old 16-10-2021, 04:11 PM   #35
prktkljokr
praek tih kl jo kr

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Dare I say a re birth contender
I would say your probably right, but really will it still be worth it?, what's a XC V8 ex cop coupe worth? $90,000 if perfect ?, even doing a rebirth is still going to cost a few $$ to do it right unless they have a white XC V8 coupe with the same trim just sitting waiting for a vin and tag donor?, still a lot of work to make it look legit, engine re-build, repaint trim etc.

Im sure there is a lot of other illegal projects that would get them a far better return for their investment without the work this one needs .

The other thing is now that it has been advertised with the Vin number, that stigma of it being a rusted shell will stick with that Vin forever, so anyone that knows the story of the car in the future will be looking for its replacement rust repairs to prove that it is actually the car, no one is that good to fix rust to a point that it looks like it never happened, so a rebirth will be easy to spot for sure, Im sure future buyers with the coin to buy this car will know of it from this auction and make a rebirth hard to sell.
prktkljokr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-10-2021, 11:28 PM   #36
slowsnake
Banned

I really don't think the person owning that rustbucket is buying it as an investment, he would buy it for other reasons, maybe to give him something to do in his spare time, maybe he hangs with the boys drinking grog too often, his wife gives him an ultimatum to stay at home more, or maybe " you always wanted that model car, buy it "

I would repair that just to see how good I really was, if money was no object it would be a great project, welding and cutting is easy, but if you weld sheetmetal it shrinks, you have to know how to stress relieve more than anything, the stresses involved contain so much energy it almost like a bomb!

When I was welding base plates in situ for building support columns, I had my TA following me with an LP gas torch, had a heating head the size of a coffee mug, he would post heat the joint to naturally relieve the built in stress from the welding, that is the biggest issue with vehicles, lots of strong bracing and stress relief, could be as simple as using 2 hammers, one behind and another to tap, tap, tap all the stress away, hit gently lots of times, not hard a few times, its very soothing for the mind!
slowsnake is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2021, 09:25 PM   #37
tbro4123

If I was still working I'd look at that and the orange thing next to it, say both for 15g make one from both and sell whats left.

Got a mate who sell Ford parts from his wrecks and it amazes me what people will pay, cause at the end of the day who wants a wreck in their yard.

Is the coupe repairable, yep, lots of places who will do it. Hard thing is everybody wants it all done for nothing.

Example, my written off (hit Right front corner) 242 GT would cost you $15000 just in paint and panel work and it was straight, BUT, it takes a lot of work to get it right (160 hrs). Had lots of people comment how straight my car was, and to be honest, if I had realised how good it was going to come out I may have thought of doing it in black. Still I did it to be original less those horrible stripes.

BUT people don't want to spend the money so I doubt this car will see the road again.

Terry aka Tbro
tbro4123 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2021, 11:15 PM   #38
mick taylor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A mate is doing up his HZ Kingswood 202 auto, original engine and rocker cover has never been lifted, he is the 2ed owner and just a little bubbles of rust in the passenger front door and passenger side rear panel near the door handle was all one could see, I said sell it as it is. but no he has it all apart now and well now we can see much more rust, it's everywhere, not bad but surface rust.

When I see a old car nowadays I fear dread of even cars that may look clean but in some years ahead will bust out as a total wreck rust bucket.

I remember XA-B-C Falcons that were total rust buckets when they were 8yo.

I have seen many a cow cocky dads car just turn to total rush heap, now they could of sold such and been able to see the car restored like new, but no ! they would not have that at all. nothing but some of the chassis and the engine block and a few bits left.

One mate has a Ford V8 side valve engine and another one with the alloy heads on it.

I think it comes down to that they would not sell such for a million dollars because they don't need the money at all. even if they do **** and moan 24/7
mick taylor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post