Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-02-2012, 11:24 PM   #31
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 
Default Re: Great Wall Motors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spammy
Agreed - the styling is actually pretty good.
I havent got a shed of respect for Great Wall simply because of the styling. Theres no original thought in their mismatched ideas of how to take 2 existing vehicles and restyle them into a new one. Seems to be a plague amongst Chinese manufacturers.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2012, 01:10 AM   #32
FPVGT500
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV GTHO
I havent got a shed of respect for Great Wall simply because of the styling. Theres no original thought in their mismatched ideas of how to take 2 existing vehicles and restyle them into a new one. Seems to be a plague amongst Chinese manufacturers.
So very true, you should see the carbon copy of the Mercs the chinese are making its an abortion!! I'll try and find a link for it or maybe someone can beat me to it.
FPVGT500 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2012, 01:20 AM   #33
just_pazz
Ford Convert

http://fordauthority.com/2012/02/clo...ca-from-china/

Check that out.
just_pazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2012, 09:08 AM   #34
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Supervisor at work just bought the diesel SUV and a diesel dual cab, interior is a bit dodgy/low quality.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2012, 11:40 AM   #35
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm old enough to remember when people still laughed at those tinny funny looking Japanese cars, so I always take the knocking that Chinese stuff like Chery and Great Wall with a rather large grain of salt...

No idea why we get some of the odd looking Chinese cars...go to some of the manufacturers websites in China and you'll see they make some very stylish looking cars and four wheel drives.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2012, 03:40 PM   #36
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
Seems the X240 is Petrol and the X200 is the Diesel version - seems a bit odd to have a different badge just for the Diesel.
You would think the X200 to be a lower spec (200 is less than 240).

Anyway, i dont mind the look of them, the Diesel seems OK on paper as well.
Id actually consider one when they reach rock bottom prices like SSanyond did when they were new here.
4 year old Diesel for $7000..... great second run around.
Yeah, it is a bit of an odd naming convention, comes from the donks I believe. The petrol is a 2.4 and the TD is a 2.0.

As for styling, the original GW ute front wasn't a pretty sight, hence plenty of aftermarket roo bars to hide it but the current one is every bit as good as the other ute's in it's class.

Always thought the X240 was decent looking though.

I'd be interested in the X240 if it had a TDi and auto for the missus.
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2012, 04:20 PM   #37
Ducati888
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHDOGS
the best part of the price is the money you save can go to paying centerlink for all the workers who lose there jobs! bully!!
Tell me, which Australian workers make a 4X2 or 4X4 light commercial vehicle?

Don't say the Falcon ute and Commodore ute. They are hardly the same market as the GWM utes or Hiluxes or Tritons.
Old 17-02-2012, 08:27 PM   #38
Springfield_Johny

Quote:
Originally Posted by graham_h
Oh dear

2 stars....
How many stars for a 10 year old hilux, rodeo etc?

Daily drive 2010 Mitsubishi triton single cab turbo diesel

1968 XT Falcon (project yet to be started)
Springfield_Johny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2012, 08:32 PM   #39
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

the last rodeo only had 3, and the colorado has 3...

Given that the v240 was given 2 stars on the basis of the seatbelt issue, that having been fixed should suggest its tested again.

I wouldn't be surprised if it could get 3...

after all, the x-series cars have 4 stars...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2012, 09:00 PM   #40
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
the last rodeo only had 3, and the colorado has 3...

Given that the v240 was given 2 stars on the basis of the seatbelt issue, that having been fixed should suggest its tested again.

I wouldn't be surprised if it could get 3...

after all, the x-series cars have 4 stars...
I honestly have no idea how many stars our G6E has, it never even crossed our mind. I imagine our 1982 Celica, by modern standards, has less than one star. I don't even want to consider what our '82 WB V8 Ute would be...

I'd hazard a guess that how many stars a car has is very very low on the list of what people are worried about when buying a car...certainly less than motoring journalists make out. Before we made up our minds on buying the G6E, we visited various dealers...Suzuki, Subaru, Holden, Mazda, Toyota, Mitsubishi...and not one of them even mentioned how many stars the various cars we were asking about had. Some mention was made of how many airbags, but star rating? Meaningless. Hit something big and heavy enough with your five star car, and you'll be just as dead.
Old 17-02-2012, 09:06 PM   #41
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

I dont think stars matter to some buyers, they just see "dual airbags" and then its safe enough.

The average person wouldn't think about passive safety, crumple zones and pretensioner detonation time...

\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 17-02-2012, 10:24 PM   #42
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Despite all the who har about safety rating and all that jazz the reality is safety is usually a pretty low point of interest to buyers.

Ford had the curtain airbags as an option on some FG's and the take up rate was pretty low, safety packs usually aren't anywhere near as popular as upgraded stereos, bigger alloys and all that stuff that people love. Other manufacturers say the say thing.

Avoiding a crash in the first place is better than being in a crash in a 5 star car.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2012, 11:05 PM   #43
Scott

I put a bit of effort in looking at a GW V240 Dual Cab 4x4 about a year ago, here's what I found:

The engine was equivalent to a 1992 Triton, not a new one. It was abysmal then and it has only gotten worse;
The gearbox was woeful;
The steering was fairly tight until you got halfway around a turn - then it went "weightless/no feel";
The seats were leather of some kind, but uncomfortable, unsupportive crap really;
I can't recall where the chassis was from, but the body and doors were either done from Isuzu presses or were good copies to look at.
All doors and tailgate felt too light and tinny, even compared to Rodeo etc;
The headlights were direct VW parts bin;
The dash was obviously Isuzu/Rodeo;

On the whole, it was a very cheap 4x4 Dual Cab to buy. Dramatically cheaper than anything else around at the time.

On the whole, it was ok'enough looking (esp with bull bar, rear step etc) to hide the ugly bits.

On the whole, it was horrible and not worth the cheap price tag purely because I think you would regret the day you bought it for as long as your **** pointed to the ground.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2012, 11:45 PM   #44
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott
I put a bit of effort in looking at a GW V240 Dual Cab 4x4 about a year ago, here's what I found:

The engine was equivalent to a 1992 Triton, not a new one. It was abysmal then and it has only gotten worse;
The gearbox was woeful;
The steering was fairly tight until you got halfway around a turn - then it went "weightless/no feel";
The seats were leather of some kind, but uncomfortable, unsupportive crap really;
I can't recall where the chassis was from, but the body and doors were either done from Isuzu presses or were good copies to look at.
All doors and tailgate felt too light and tinny, even compared to Rodeo etc;
The headlights were direct VW parts bin;
The dash was obviously Isuzu/Rodeo;

On the whole, it was a very cheap 4x4 Dual Cab to buy. Dramatically cheaper than anything else around at the time.

On the whole, it was ok'enough looking (esp with bull bar, rear step etc) to hide the ugly bits.

On the whole, it was horrible and not worth the cheap price tag purely because I think you would regret the day you bought it for as long as your **** pointed to the ground.
As i said, no idea why we get the ugly cars here...they do one that's a knock-off of what looks like a relatively new Hilux, as well as some other good looking vehicles...why they chose these ones to export first is beyond me...
Old 18-02-2012, 12:29 AM   #45
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Might have something to do with infringements from stealing designs. They can get away with it in China because Chinese courts always favour Chinese companies, but its a different story if they export.

I think it was BMW that sued one Chinese company for stealing designs, didn't win in a Chinese court but had them banned from selling cars in the EU in a European court.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2012, 08:20 PM   #46
zaneabel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We currently have 3 customers with Great walls. Seats are like the "C" class mercedes / Park benches. And well, they're acceptable IMO for the price, but you really need to drive one to see for yourself.

None of them have over 16000km yet, so no faults to list personally (that i have witnessed) customers have had complaints about certain faults, but have not shown whilst in the shop.

Eg. centre console screen display showing all number "8's".

Flat spots whilst accelerating, engine cranking issues on the petrol engines.

We have 2 latest software scan tools with Greatfall software fitted, and neither communicate with the system OBD or specific
zaneabel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2012, 10:00 PM   #47
nickdl

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaneabel
Chinese lucky number!!!!
nickdl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2012, 12:42 AM   #48
janddbone
B1 - J & D Services
Donating Member1

Best to stick with Isuzu, Ssangyong or even Mahindra...
2000 Ford Falcon Wagon Egas
1999 Subaru Imprezza Sportwagon
1998 Holden Suburban 2500
1995 Land Rover Discovery TDI
1994 XG XR6 Longreach
1983 Holden Rodeo
1982 ZK Fairlane 302 six seater
1975 Datsun 120Y wagon
1970 MG Midget
1967 Rover 2000TC
Soon: Model T.
janddbone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2012, 01:30 AM   #49
buickman
buickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaneabel
We currently have 3 customers with Great walls. Seats are like the "C" class mercedes / Park benches. And well, they're acceptable IMO for the price, but you really need to drive one to see for yourself.

None of them have over 16000km yet, so no faults to list personally (that i have witnessed) customers have had complaints about certain faults, but have not shown whilst in the shop.

Flat spots whilst accelerating, engine cranking issues on the petrol engines.

We have 2 latest software scan tools with Greatfall software fitted, and neither communicate with the system OBD or specific
I've heard the supplied door panels to repair these cars are not lining up as they should if involved in an accident and repaired by the panel shops.
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2012, 05:35 AM   #50
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
Ive driven one of the dual cab utes and the gearbox has to be the most agricultural thing I have ever used, just terrible and hill starts dont bother.

Didnt really pay much attention to the rest (interior etc) but the driveline sealed it for me.
If you want to experience agricultural then drive my D22 Navara, worst gearbox ever. Almost as bad as my 60yr old grey fergie tractor.

I've noticed a few of these great wall utes getting around out bush. No bad reports yet. The only bad report I've heard so far was from a typical one eyed toyota fan boi which I took with a grain of salt.
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2012, 11:33 AM   #51
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett.r.johnstone
Best to stick with Isuzu, Ssangyong or even Mahindra...
Based on what? Speculation? misinformation etc?

\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 19-02-2012, 11:36 AM   #52
babyf6
Young Ford Enthusiast

Life was better when there was government subsidies.
Old 19-02-2012, 03:33 PM   #53
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
I dont think stars matter to some buyers, they just see "dual airbags" and then its safe enough.

The average person wouldn't think about passive safety, crumple zones and pretensioner detonation time...
If I could change 'average person', to 'prospective cheap 4wd workhorse buyer' then you've got it right.

Those who want a cheap 4wd ute/tray would be Farmers and Tradies.

Most of them would want airbags, crumple zones and big trendy ANCAP numbers on their family car, but couldn't give a toss about that sort of thing on their work/Farm vehicle.

Farmers usually just want something cheap that they can open the doors and hose out when it gets really grubby.
Old 19-02-2012, 04:25 PM   #54
Nic85
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Farmers also want something reliable that's going to have a long service history. I can't see too many of them giving up their Landcruisers for a Great Wall V200.
Nic85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2012, 04:53 PM   #55
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Seen lots of tradies do it though...

\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 19-02-2012, 04:57 PM   #56
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nic85
Farmers also want something reliable that's going to have a long service history. I can't see too many of them giving up their Landcruisers for a Great Wall V200.
If you live in the city you wont, but in the bush many already have.

Oh, and the words 'service', and Farmer don't usually go together in the same sentence
Old 19-02-2012, 05:00 PM   #57
Nic85
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well there ya go. What's the old saying? There's no accounting for taste... .
Nic85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2012, 05:51 PM   #58
letmeinplease
Starter Motor

No good!! Mate's dad brought one and nothing but problems
letmeinplease is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2012, 05:59 PM   #59
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

If I was starting a small construction company and had say two guys employed full time and needed a rough work ute just for kicking around bunnings and picking up bits and bobs, I'd buy the great wall for sure. Cheap and basic and I wouldn't mind throwing the keys to the boys to drive it around too. At 20 odd grand it can get as scratched and dented as I liked and I wouldn't fret at all.
Once the business got off the ground and more capital was available I'd maybe look at better utes but if the great wall proved itself I might buy another. Give things a chance I say, no harm in that.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2012, 03:13 AM   #60
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=davway]Seems the X240 is Petrol and the X200 is the Diesel version - seems a bit odd to have a different badge just for the Diesel.
You would think the X200 to be a lower spec (200 is less than 240).

Diesel is 2 litre , petrol is 2.4 litre .