Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 04-06-2007, 10:16 PM   #31
Noddy
Mercury Silver T3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecraft
I have never taken the tyre or jack out, I've never had anywhere to leave it and I sure as hell am not going to head to Willowbank without them :P I'm like JC, if I was to really care about weight reduction I'd get a jockey to drive it, save a quick 40 kilo's right there..

Removing the jack, spare, running on the red on the fuel gauge defeats the purpose for me. I fill the car up at the same servo everytime I go to the track, and for me it is as good as a guide I can get by taking the car as close to the same every outing.
That about sums it up for me. Drive it there, race it, drive it home, smile on face.

2017 Magnetic Mustang

What to hear a tuff T3?
Click here
http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y30...ent=Movie2.mp4
Noddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2007, 12:37 PM   #32
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
street trim is exactly that... spare tyre, jack, floor mats and spare change included..Done on street tyres (no slicks imho) with maybe the only exception being a drop in the PSI on the rear.
Drive it there and race it..
Agreed 100% im not interisted in times that have slicks or have been stripped out, if you have to spend half a day stripping the car for it to run 12's or 11's, then it's not really an 11 or 12 second car in my view.

Drive it there, drive it out, only mod being a drop in tire pressure if you want to.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2007, 01:52 PM   #33
superroo
You can't stop the signal

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Has done quite a few excellent write ups for au .com 

I agree with you guys but one of the problems with this arguement and me is what i have on the ute (nudge bar, spoties, sports bars, soft tonnau), and the fact that i'm down on areo with these compared to a sedan.
My first runs at the drags were done with all that on, but if i were to take them all off, it doesn't affect the street trim of the car because you see plenty of utes running around without this, but i'd be able to shave some time off through the areo that i'd gain compared to if i had these things on.

I'm under the moto "run it how you drive it", then go and have fun, just be honest about what your doing

Because i know what it can do in full street trim, but now i want to see what times i can get. So next time i venture out, it will have no: sports bars, nudge bar, spoties, tray liner, tail gate.
But that's still street trim, just not my street trim, and i won't lie about not having that in my car

Cheers
superroo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2007, 02:15 PM   #34
Bluepower
KenneBell Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiddy
I second that.
Exactly how the car sits on your driveway and as you drive it every day is exactly how you race it on the strip, spare tyre, jack, baby seat in the back even lol.. none of this change tyres just for that event even.. I dont even drop the tyre pressure..
Good post, im with it 100 percent.

I will race with the crowd. If someone with a blown Boss in street trim chooses to run, i'll run street trim for basis of comparison.

If there is no one in or near my time, i'll race trim the car. If there are 5 cars racing, i'll keep mine with the crowd.

Ive learnt a lot from the LS1 scene, and its where much of this comes from.

Bluepower Racing Developments

Proud Australian Distributors of Kenne Bell superchargers
The Quickest, The Fastest, The Baddest Boss Blower of all.

www.bluepower.com.au

Bluepower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2007, 03:24 PM   #35
ClassicAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Now what about those poor people such as myself, who cant afford to burn up the tyres that the use every day? When i go to the track, i change my rear wheels to "stockies" to save my good tyres. Does this not count me as street trim as i dont drive around with them every day? I would think, if anything, it would be a disadvantage to take off my $280 Pirelli's to run with $25 used no names, as i would have less grip. How does this fare into this topic?

Evan
ClassicAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2007, 04:29 PM   #36
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Nah stockies are still street IMO!
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2007, 04:52 PM   #37
SVT8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

honestly, when you take your car to the drag strip you take the car out of its normal routine. You push the car to limits that arnt availble in everyday driving. So things like racing tyres, premium petrol spare tire and jack i would figure is ok? You do need to prep your car up a little bit for drag racing as your car is not used to having its guts floored out over 400m for say half a night. Those factors i listed above would be street legal, come to think of it i think you do need a spare tyre and jack at all time when on the road.

Gutting out your car is not legal and it therefor it shouldnt be classified as a street car. If your using the car as a drag car/dyno then gut out your car by all means beacuse you are tyring to acheive good times. But for a road car, i disagree with taking out interior just to run a few tenths of a second faster. If you want your car lighter, by a small car a do that car up?. All falcon's are heavy car's, work on what you got and keep it at that without cheating yourself and others.
SVT8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2007, 09:25 PM   #38
Futura01
horsepower

i know a mate who is a heavy boy and get's his mate to race his car because he is lighter by about 50kg...
Now that is way overboard i would say !!! when u spend 20k on a car and cant even enjoy the racing because ,your to obsessed with only obtaining times!!!!
Futura01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2007, 11:38 PM   #39
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futura01
i know a mate who is a heavy boy and get's his mate to race his car because he is lighter by about 50kg...
Happens quite often

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2007, 09:57 AM   #40
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i ran my car the 1st time/only time ive been on the strip
with my 20s..sub box.. spare..jack etc and even my work boots and lunchbox in the back! AND a full tank of fuel!

next time i am going to be removing my 20s and running on 16" stock alloys and no spare or jack or sub box
and i dont know how much fuel i will be using probably still a full tank!

as i want to compare my car to other cars that have that stuff removed
ie monty
he beat me (15.8 vs 16.031)
and he had nothing in his car!

i think removing excess baggage is fine
but removing interior and stuff is just silly!
Old 06-06-2007, 04:01 PM   #41
The Monty
Just slidin'

Hehehehe, youll beat me Blackers with all the stuff out. You have the same mods as me, but you have the gearbox AND VCT yo.I may need to strip my interior next time to stop you beating me.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:54 PM   #42
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Gutting a n/a i6 isn't going to break it into the 13's, so in reallity, who gives a ****
StealthAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2007, 05:00 PM   #43
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockoau
Gutting a n/a i6 isn't going to break it into the 13's, so in reallity, who gives a ****
Depends on how close you are in full trim. What if you run a 14.1 in full trim? Gutting will put you into the 13's most likely.

Is it worth it then?

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2007, 05:10 PM   #44
The Monty
Just slidin'

I say it is. Id love to see my Fairmont in the 13's. Wouldnt be classed as street trim, but I wouldnt care. When Im at the drags, I just want to see how fast MY car can go. If that means taking out the spare or whatnot, so be it. But I wont ever say mine is in stree trim, as its not. I think as you drive it is street trim, when you start taking stuff out (like I do) its race trim, vroom vroom vroooommmm....
Old 06-06-2007, 06:01 PM   #45
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm yet to take my car down the track, nut when I do it will be in full street trim. Having said that I don't really see the big deal with gutting, at 6'6" and 100 odd kg's, what would be the diff between me gutting my car and getting my 5'2" sub 50kg sister to take it down the track?
Old 06-06-2007, 06:42 PM   #46
T3man
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockoau
I'm yet to take my car down the track, nut when I do it will be in full street trim. Having said that I don't really see the big deal with gutting, at 6'6" and 100 odd kg's, what would be the diff between me gutting my car and getting my 5'2" sub 50kg sister to take it down the track?
The difference would be that she would have the fun
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2007, 08:56 AM   #47
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah, but what I'm saying is someone might have a slightly faster time then another purely because they wheigh less. So people should state weither they gut there car or not, should they also state what there wheight is?
Old 07-06-2007, 08:59 AM   #48
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Which goes back to what I said originally then.. do it if you must but disclose it so people know what they are comparing to.

Old 07-06-2007, 09:14 AM   #49
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
Which goes back to what I said originally then.. do it if you must but disclose it so people know what they are comparing to.
In an ideal world (barring track condition and temperature discrepancies) it would be cool if all the tracks weighed you in.. It would be an even playing field for the average punter like me to know my car is equal every time I head out. That way you know the conditions and mods are making the difference.. And for the sake of the AFF comparison it would be nice to see

RaceCraft 15.00@92mph 3700lbs(inc driver) TT 32/AT 28 Willowbank 5/6/07

asif that'll happen though because I've never seen the weigh station at Willowbank open on a T&T :(

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2007, 09:41 AM   #50
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
In an ideal world (barring track condition and temperature discrepancies) it would be cool if all the tracks weighed you in.. It would be an even playing field for the average punter like me to know my car is equal every time I head out. That way you know the conditions and mods are making the difference.. And for the sake of the AFF comparison it would be nice to see

asif that'll happen though because I've never seen the weigh station at Willowbank open on a T&T :(
That I would love to see.. it would answer a lot of questions. Apples to apples.
Even with my own car I've gone through 5 sets of rims and I'm certain that they have never gotten lighter than the last set. This means that as my ETs drop the cars actual weight is increasing.. at least I suspect it is. I'd like to know how much of a weight increase I've put on the car.
The other thing it would do is determine which track is better overall. I've seen some cars run amazingly well at Calder and then run way off that pace at Heathcote with the same mods. This has even happened (to a much smaller degree) with my own car. Is it the track? Is it something else? Looking at the weight along with the conditions would help work our what the deal is.

Old 07-06-2007, 09:51 AM   #51
Sledgehammer
Banned

If you could pull a 100kg out of the car then its going to make a difference but how much weight can you really remove, back seat and pass seat dont weigh that and I dont think that 20kg makes a huge difference to a street car.
Sledgehammer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2007, 10:00 AM   #52
LOWAU

IMO- Tyre, jack, sub box/amp and anything in the interior like mats and other loose objects can be removed and still be street. If you remove seats/doortrims and other stuff its OK for the sake of faster ETs but they should be stated that they were removed when showing times.
LOWAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2007, 02:53 PM   #53
The Monty
Just slidin'

Quote:
for the sake of the AFF comparison it would be nice to see

They have a weigh station out there?
Old 07-06-2007, 04:57 PM   #54
stiddy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluepower
Good post, im with it 100 percent.

I will race with the crowd. If someone with a blown Boss in street trim chooses to run, i'll run street trim for basis of comparison.

If there is no one in or near my time, i'll race trim the car. If there are 5 cars racing, i'll keep mine with the crowd.

Ive learnt a lot from the LS1 scene, and its where much of this comes from.

Sounds fair to me.
stiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2007, 12:00 PM   #55
Eu-GenixX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i am of the mind set.. that "street trim".. is how you drive the car every day of the week...
Eu-GenixX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2007, 01:34 PM   #56
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eu-GenixX
i am of the mind set.. that "street trim".. is how you drive the car every day of the week...
But thats also very different for everyone.
I dont have a whopping big sub box in my car nor 200kgs of tools but a lot of people here do and thats how the car is driven. Does this mean they have to race it that way?
How about people with alloy spares v's people with steel spares? Difference in weight is enough to give an advantage.

In the end I think its all too hard to police. Some say race it as it is on the street.. but that can be unsafe (loose objects) and damage expensive rubber. Others say race it as you like to get an ET because "street trim" is pointless, you simply cant race on the streets anyhow.

The way I see it true street trim is a falacy anyhow. I could drive the car straight up to a drag strip, race it and then do the exact same thing on the road that lead to the drag strip and I can be certain the time on the drag strip will be faster. There is no road I know of that can offer the same amount of grip that the track does. I simply could never get the same traction (and therefore the same time) as I do on the track. So to say its a true "street time" is not accruate to start with.

These days all I see is standard weight (basically meaning that the car is running a full interior) and race weight (gutted). Everything else is just too hard to worry about. Personally I prefer to run standard weight but, so long as people state a cars time was done with the interior gone, I dont really care anymore. An ET is an ET to me.

Old 09-06-2007, 06:38 PM   #57
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
But thats also very different for everyone.
I dont have a whopping big sub box in my car nor 200kgs of tools but a lot of people here do and thats how the car is driven. Does this mean they have to race it that way?
How about people with alloy spares v's people with steel spares? Difference in weight is enough to give an advantage.

In the end I think its all too hard to police. Some say race it as it is on the street.. but that can be unsafe (loose objects) and damage expensive rubber. Others say race it as you like to get an ET because "street trim" is pointless, you simply cant race on the streets anyhow.

The way I see it true street trim is a falacy anyhow. I could drive the car straight up to a drag strip, race it and then do the exact same thing on the road that lead to the drag strip and I can be certain the time on the drag strip will be faster. There is no road I know of that can offer the same amount of grip that the track does. I simply could never get the same traction (and therefore the same time) as I do on the track. So to say its a true "street time" is not accruate to start with.

These days all I see is standard weight (basically meaning that the car is running a full interior) and race weight (gutted). Everything else is just too hard to worry about. Personally I prefer to run standard weight but, so long as people state a cars time was done with the interior gone, I dont really care anymore. An ET is an ET to me.
So are the gloves off Casper? Me I am gonna race the way I always do for comparisons sake.If I decide to compete against others then I will say that I weight reduced before I go.Let the final results be stated fairly.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2007, 07:34 PM   #58
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stav
So are the gloves off Casper? Me I am gonna race the way I always do for comparisons sake.If I decide to compete against others then I will say that I weight reduced before I go.Let the final results be stated fairly.
I've never raced gutted and, at least for the moment, I cant see it happening. I've still got a lot of power avaliable when I get around to opening the engine and a few other idea's that will improve ET's. I don't think I need to run "race weight" at present.

Old 09-06-2007, 08:32 PM   #59
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 
Smile

Youre a good bloke Casper. I am with you mate.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2007, 11:10 PM   #60
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stav
Youre a good bloke Casper. I am with you mate.
I'm known for changing my mind though.... you just never know what I'll do next or when :

Last edited by Casper; 09-06-2007 at 11:16 PM.