Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 06-08-2007, 12:04 PM   #31
JTFG
In a Ford..at last!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt_doofey
It was good to see a bit of push and shove in the western darby there yesterday. Now that was entertaining! You could see the fines being racked up!
Agreed, the derby was just great
JTFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2007, 12:34 PM   #32
BZINGA
Powered by Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
I watch classic quarters on fox Saturday morning. Hawks were playing Carlton in the 86 Grandfinal. It was full contact back then. None of this touching the player and giving away a free. Footy has become soft. Its become a game of umpires, not a game of football.
Correct, people blaming the game for being soft isn't the players fault, the umpires have ruined the game because of how they are told to umpire it. I watched the Collingwood - Carlton game on saturday, Carlton received 17 free kicks in the 1st quarter, Collingwood received 19 for the game. The umpiring has stuffed the best game in the world :
BZINGA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2007, 01:11 PM   #33
XD427
XD427

I agree i reckon the game was far more interesting before all these new rules came into play, It made the game far more intersting when there were brawls its become hell soft like soccer take a little nudge and fall over to milk a free its gay. Rugby and soccer are great games there just boring to watch cause there hardly any scoring but thats my personal opinion.
Old 06-08-2007, 03:09 PM   #34
FORD3V
5.4L 3V V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
my thoughts on AFL after giving up on it

Over regulated
Far too commercial
Self important
Over paid
Over Priced
Far too much media interference.

Football is dead, what we have now is MediaBall.

Couldnt have said it better myself.

Gimme a port V norwood game in the 1980's with 20 thousand people at a suburban ground.
Twice the rivalry twice the atmosphere.

afl is crap.
FORD3V is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2007, 03:13 PM   #35
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
I'll settle it.

Both Port and Adelaide played low-quality football, except maybe in a few bursts.
I completely agree. It hasn't been pretty football to watch this year barracking for the Crows. They have only won 3 games at home, so I've spent all this money on season tickets to watch my team lose most of their games. We even travelled to Melbourne to watch the game vs Melbourne. You know the one. Melbourne's first win for the season! Should have gone to the Richmond vs Brisbane game on the Saturday night instead. At least that would have been exciting considering it was the first draw of the season.
Old 06-08-2007, 09:33 PM   #36
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
I'll settle it.

Both Port and Adelaide played low-quality football, except maybe in a few bursts.

Adelaide won because they managed their rotations far better than Port did, which has been stated by Robert Walls.
As soon as Thurstans went down, Williams should have realised that to keep Lade competitive, he'd need to be rested properly rather than play him for 3.5 quarters (he was so stuffed, he hardly even jumped in the 2nd half).

The Crows are not the teams of 2005-6, but they still can play and Neil Craig coached better on the night.

Umm Thurstans didn't go down, it was Dean Brogan.
Thurstans came on in the last quarter when Lade was stuffed and Adelaide were 16-0 in clearances for the term.
Thurstans got the next 3 clearances and Port started coming back, it was a 4 minute spell and he was immediately replaced with the stuffed Lade...WTF?
I was speaking with a guy today and he said it was because Choco doesn't like Thurstans that he took him back off...I know what i'd believe and it aint that you'd take your ruck man off when he is swinging the momentum and when the game is there to be won all because of personal differences.

All night Adelaide played a third man up at the stoppages even though they had a rotating ruck available yet at no time did Port do this despite Lades tyring and lack of Clearance wins.
It just doesn't make sense.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2007, 10:41 PM   #37
Franky
Bring back the Phase

funnily enough this thread is almost ruined by nuckle draggers who's goes to see a game made up a mixtures of rules from much more interesting sports.

Anyway back on topic, the Port game was pathetic but couldn't imagine them throwing the game dileberately for the sake of getting adelaide into the finals. If anything with a few tough games for the power coming up it will make it harder for them to make the top 8.

If you want to talk about Match fixing just look at Melbourne and Richmond, both teams should be fined for playing the worst brand of football seen in decades. Calton may be hopeless but they are trying to win and are respectable in their loses. As for the rules ruining football only 1 rule is effecting the excitment of contests and that is the hands in the back, and it will be diminished at the end of the season anyway
Franky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2007, 09:57 AM   #38
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ok, Dean Brogan. Got it wrong, but regardless, Williams coached poorly.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2007, 08:06 PM   #39
rodderz

I'm usually right into the footy but I just can't get into it this year. The AFL seems to be getting too sissy with rules and blokes going to the tribunal for stuff all.

Use to go to see a bit of a blue and some tough action, when I was 18 I used to go to every pies home game, now only go to the odd Anzac Day match or a few finals
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2007, 09:50 PM   #40
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Hmm...well....Adelaide made the finals and guess what.....Port gets two home finals.
Now tell me how Port threw their chances away by going down to Adelaide.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2007, 09:26 PM   #41
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

If by WWF you mean WWE as the world wildlife foundation finally won the rights to the long legal battle. They are now the WWE world wrestling entertainment.

With that said I think there is no way that AFL is becomming like the WWE because WWE is actually entertaining and exciting.
Old 06-09-2007, 02:12 PM   #42
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

WWE is entertaining, but not exciting. Beautifully choreographed shows that involve greater acting than any Brad Pitt film.

Exciting is the 1989 Grand Final.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2007, 05:32 PM   #43
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kremmen
Exactly, any sport where u get a point for missing is unaustralian. Close enough aint good enough.

melees LOL
Scrums LOL

Getting four points for putting a ball on the ground.

Exciting stuff
Old 07-09-2007, 06:01 PM   #44
paule11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
thats about right, although id argue the game has been dead since football players became Media Whores who have no personal lives, and are enshrined as role models for the kiddies.

For me, football was at its peak in the 70's, they were ugly, they had beards, they went the biff and it was physical football.

youre right I cant remember the last time ive seen a good blue in AFL sort of like watching basketball players fight doesnt seem like you have to be too hard to play
paule11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post