Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Old 17-04-2006, 07:27 PM   #31
jd dad
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Anyone got anything to report? From what I have heard it was a smokefest and Eric Goudsward totaled his Altered. CPR the centre of motorsport, what a joke
Old 17-04-2006, 09:08 PM   #32
zephyrmick
Starter Motor

eric did a wheelspin and rolled it. when he rolled he broke the hat of it and it full throttled and flipped over the wall and rolled across the top. He got out of it ok tho.
zephyrmick is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2006, 09:09 PM   #33
zephyrmick
Starter Motor

the things a mess
zephyrmick is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2006, 09:15 PM   #34
marcuss

If anyone went there expecting to see anything but smoke they were dreaming. CPR has no clue. And $40 to get in. Way to promote drag racing in melbourne
marcuss is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2006, 10:20 PM   #35
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

mid 6 sec side by side pass form Deano's door slammers was a good effort.
BIG Crowd, yes i thought $40 was I bit rich...

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2006, 10:24 PM   #36
DABOSS
BA Black Edition

Have to say just from getting back from there , Took a few people with me and first of all $40 bucks to get in times 4 is a jip, Also 6 dounuts for 7 bucks another jip, The racing was just s h i t , And then to see Bob jane and some other bloke race in there slow cars was just the best money spent , I dont for one think I'll be back for another meet if they ever have T/F again, Waste of money. Friday night drags much better and more action.
Old 17-04-2006, 10:32 PM   #37
rodderz

I agree, if Calder Park is serious about getting crowds and top racers back there again, they will have to lift their game to make it inviting.... the fueller were good but you could tell the track wasnt up to scratch for them to do a good full pass, wheelspin central right off the line. Rod made a good point, they didnt prepare the start line with the longer wheelbase top fuellers in mind, they couldnt get the start they needed. Once they get the racers happy and making full passes, the crowd will be happy. There were lot's of boo's after the last run, they came to see them and didnt get a full pass, not the racers fault...

The guy in the black camaro doorslammer was lucky, on 2 wheels at half track.... luckier than the guy in the latered anyway. Calder lived up to its name too, bloody cold!
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2006, 10:35 PM   #38
302donk

today was a joke, two 4sec cars that carn't make it passed the tree!
we have some issues with the track the old boy can not get it down the track and cracked the sads and went home he seems to be cracking it latley thats why i wont help him anymore my heart goes out to Eric Goudsward top bloke sad to see the car get hurt but he will be back,

just off the topic a little CRAIG have you found the bloke that "BORROWED YOUR HEMI DAIPER" yet?????????????????
www.myspace.com/2v_clevo_donk
302donk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2006, 10:35 PM   #39
SpoolMan

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DABOSS
The racing was just s h i t , And then to see Bob jane and some other bloke race in there slow cars
And Bob had his window down while racing, he went so slow because he shifted form 1st straight to 4th gear then couldn't find second : , we were ИИИИing our selfs with laughter. :

Old 17-04-2006, 10:39 PM   #40
rodderz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302donk
we have some issues with the track the old boy can not get it down the track and cracked the sads and went home he seems to be cracking it latley thats why i wont help him anymore my heart goes out to Eric Goudsward top bloke sad to see the car get hurt but he will be back,

just off the topic a little CRAIG have you found the bloke that "BORROWED YOUR HEMI DAIPER" yet?????????????????
Was your altered the one that got towed with the white holden tonner ute, plates "DEVI8" or something like that?
Old 17-04-2006, 10:42 PM   #41
naughts
Hmmmmm Mulberry....

Easternats were good, about 20,000 people!!!!!!!
naughts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2006, 10:47 PM   #42
DABOSS
BA Black Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoolMan
And Bob had his window down while racing, he went so slow because he shifted form 1st straight to 4th gear then couldn't find second : , we were ИИИИing our selfs with laughter. :

That would explain the handicap sticker on his Old S600 Merc.
Old 17-04-2006, 10:48 PM   #43
SpoolMan

Quote:
we have some issues with the track the old boy can not get it down the track and cracked the sads
His last run, he hit the bump spot in the track at around 330 foot, the back of the car let go......they keep trying to fix it, but like a lot of things at Calder they never get it right.
The bump spot makes a lot of short wheel based cars jump around at 330 foot.

Old 17-04-2006, 10:49 PM   #44
CAMS290
trying to get a leg over
Donating Member2

Im glad i spent the day at KFC with Judy, sounds like much better value.
She only ate 10 buckets this time.lol
Old 17-04-2006, 11:01 PM   #45
302donk

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodderz
Was your altered the one that got towed with the white holden tonner ute, plates "DEVI8" or something like that?
no it the purple one in my avator, towed behind the white landcruiser
Old 17-04-2006, 11:06 PM   #46
rodderz

It's a real pity, the crowd there today was the biggest I'de seen for drags in quite a while, and the people are crying out for some great drag racing but the place just isnt up to scratch. If they had the opportunity to throw some $$ at it I believe it would pay off, going by the sucess of WSID and Willowbank. Darren Difillipo still has the fastest time done at Calder so I'de guess if he knew the track was ok he would be up for trying to beat it

When the nationals were last on there about 15 years back the whole place was packed, both sides of the track all over the hill, and grandstands both sides of the track. I wonder if they would be in a position to bite the bullet and do some upgrades
Old 17-04-2006, 11:06 PM   #47
302donk

Quote:
His last run, he hit the bump spot in the track at around 330 foot, the back of the car let go......they keep trying to fix it, but like a lot of things at Calder they never get it right.
The bump spot makes a lot of short wheel based cars jump around at 330 foot.
yeh he knew that the bump was going to be there but he still ran, the plan was to just burnout and run the car to about 100foot and shut off but that didnt happen
Old 17-04-2006, 11:09 PM   #48
rodderz

Quote:
no it the purple one in my avator, towed behind the white landcruiser
Ah yes remember that one too, all of the 3 or 4 altereds there today were all nicely turned out, hopefully Eric gets his repaired without too much drama. He was lucky it wasnt futher down the track with more speed on board
Old 18-04-2006, 01:05 AM   #49
GRNKPR
DPC PERFORMANCE Race prep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodderz
It's a real pity, the crowd there today was the biggest I'de seen for drags in quite a while, and the people are crying out for some great drag racing but the place just isnt up to scratch. If they had the opportunity to throw some $$ at it I believe it would pay off, going by the sucess of WSID and Willowbank. Darren Difillipo still has the fastest time done at Calder so I'de guess if he knew the track was ok he would be up for trying to beat it

When the nationals were last on there about 15 years back the whole place was packed, both sides of the track all over the hill, and grandstands both sides of the track. I wonder if they would be in a position to bite the bullet and do some upgrades

must have missed you RODDERZ iwasa there too spent all weekend helping out The Bowdens with there cars and was lukily enough to go for a run round the track with John Bowe in the Super Falcon ,it was a blast and also drove the K B Channel 9 Camaro back from where it was on display.I had a good weekend but for all who paid the event was lacking a lot as well as organisation = NIL

FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria

Ford Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car Club
GRNKPR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2006, 02:02 AM   #50
Bandit702
Starter Motor

You all watch the wrong brackets. The Bike racing was extremely close and exciting. Hell, i only won the final by 3 hundredths. You want to see a fuel car go down track in victoria, go to heathcote. Want to see many fuel cars go down a track in victoria, support DRiVA, and help bring real 1/4 mile racing back to the state.
Bandit702 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2006, 11:12 AM   #51
jcxr
Tribal Elder

We ran the old green xr into the 12s again only to get knocked out by incorrect dial in on the tree. We accepted it so stiff for us. Would have to be the slowest, boring meeting ever. For anyone who paid $4o,commiserations. Top fuel cars running 10 secs,burnouts only is pathetic.This only makes HPR look so much better as an enjoyable drag racing facility.
jcxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2006, 12:26 PM   #52
302donk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcxr
This only makes HPR look so much better as an enjoyable drag racing facility.
head up to wsid on may 5 and 6 to see real top fuel action
Old 18-04-2006, 01:09 PM   #53
Craig
RIP Craig - 13/11/08
Donating Member1

Quote:
Well as a matter of fact he rang me this morning after seeing the add in Dragster Aust and it will be back in my possesion tomorrow with the add paid for and a nice bottle of Jim Beam. Very nice guy. All is good.

Cheers CC
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2006, 04:15 PM   #54
SilverMustang
Was Red Territory

Quote:
head up to wsid on may 5 and 6 to see real top fuel action

thats a long way to talk the wife and kids to see top fuelers
1967 Mustang Coupe
1955 Thunderbird (Project)

Previous cars:
Audi Q5, BMW X5, Territory Ghia Turbo, BA GT
SilverMustang is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2006, 04:39 PM   #55
BJ
Banned

Well its good to see CPR lives up to its rep. $40.00 per head, and what did you get for that. Top Fuel cars that were told not to do a full pass. The sooner they B.l.o.o.d.y place is sold the better of we will all be. It has been a joke for more than 10 years now.
BJ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2006, 05:01 PM   #56
SpoolMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit702
You all watch the wrong brackets. The Bike racing was extremely close and exciting. Hell, i only won the final by 3 hundredths. You want to see a fuel car go down track in victoria, go to heathcote. Want to see many fuel cars go down a track in victoria, support DRiVA, and help bring real 1/4 mile racing back to the state.
Yes we did watch the bikes with some interest, we were talking to Russell (heathcote park owner) for 20 mins he was racing a bike and running a consistent 10.50 passes, a few red lights too..
DRiVA is the long term answer but they have politcs problems also, the State Goverment isnt going to put in money or give up land when we have to Drag tracks in victoria already, we also have a few 1/8th 200 meters tracks that are used on social events.
Short term, Calder is still the answer, I think the only time we will se action there is when Bob passes the reins over to one of his sons or someone with some forawd vision for the future takes control.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ
The sooner they B.l.o.o.d.y place is sold the better of we will all be. It has been a joke for more than 10 years now.
He will never sell it, and besides where do you people are going to race....there are enough idiots on the street now, and the idiots think that street racing is drag racing.
At least Friday night is there for them to have a fang.
Its the value for money aspect that people are complaining about.
I would have been happy to give $20 for yesterdays meeting, it defiantly wasn't worth $40.
There were some tuff cars there plenty of Old Falcons.

Old 18-04-2006, 05:47 PM   #57
JG3282
Awake after dark

Quote:
Short term, Calder is still the answer, I think the only time we will se action there is when Bob passes the reins over to one of his sons or someone with some forawd vision for the future takes control.
Having been around drag racing as a racer, crew member, sponsor and one or two other guises for my entire 31 years, I can assure you of two things...

1- Calder is not the answer
2- Bob's sons have even less interest in giving drag racers a decent facility than Bob does

We will never have more than what we have and the sooner we stop talking sh|t on forums and support the people who actually give a damn about drag racing the sooner we can actually have something to look forward to.

Quote:
At least Friday night is there for them to have a fang.
That's all well and good if you are just someone with a flash current model street car that is not overly interested in drag racing as an actual competitive sport. BUT for those guys who are serious and invest a hell of a lot of cash into either their quick street or race cars, it is not a genuine venue to safely race their big dollar investment. Maybe have a chat to The Boskovich family in Sydney and see what they think of the venue and ask when is the next time they'll be racing there.

For guys like me who have the occasional lap in a "company car" its great and I'll continue to go there, but if I had a serious race car it would never ever drive through the gate unless I could be guarranteed of my own safety.

His Car: XE Fairmont Ghia - For Sale Here

Her Car: ED Fairmont - Lowered, Pioneer stereo, Sony XPlod speakers, Big Exhaust & more
JG3282 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2006, 06:38 PM   #58
SpoolMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG3282
Having been around drag racing as a racer, crew member, sponsor and one or two other guises for my entire 31 years, I can assure you of two things...

1- Calder is not the answer
2- Bob's sons have even less interest in giving drag racers a decent facility than Bob does

We will never have more than what we have and the sooner we stop talking sh|t on forums and support the people who actually give a damn about drag racing the sooner we can actually have something to look forward to.

That's all well and good if you are just someone with a flash current model street car that is not overly interested in drag racing as an actual competitive sport. BUT for those guys who are serious and invest a hell of a lot of cash into either their quick street or race cars, it is not a genuine venue to safely race their big dollar investment. Maybe have a chat to The Boskovich family in Sydney and see what they think of the venue and ask when is the next time they'll be racing there.

For guys like me who have the occasional lap in a "company car" its great and I'll continue to go there, but if I had a serious race car it would never ever drive through the gate unless I could be guarranteed of my own safety.
Who on the Forums is talking sh#t?
Are you helping DRiVA, do run free adds to support DRiVA.
If Calder isn't the answer what is, where is the money coming from, where is the land, there is no government support, no government money,
where should people race, how long will it take to save this money.
So far DRiVA had 1 or 2 dinners for fund raising.
I am all for a WSID setup in Melbourne would could be better than a track and setup like that, just look at the crowd yesterday, we need it, but in reality we don't have it.
Calder would be cheaper to bring up to scratch than a new track, all we need is someone with the vision to take it forward because Bob isn't the man.

To bad the guy that spent millions on the Drag Tag setup didnt build a drag track.

Old 18-04-2006, 07:17 PM   #59
Bandit702
Starter Motor

As a guess, i would think it would cost somewhere around 10 million to bring calder up to a reasonable standard for national racing. The entire layout of the track desperatley needs to be re-considered, the pits were atrocious and no-where near big enough by todays standards. Staging lanes were like riding on Dairy Flat Road in Heathcote. Spectator facilities are also atrocious. Basically, rebuild the facility around the spectator mounds.
Bandit702 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2006, 07:27 PM   #60
SpoolMan

How much do you think a piece of land will cost to build a new track, without building a new track out in the sticks.
10 million is what they paid for the last piece of land they were going to build a new track on, then they sold it to developer's for more a few months later.