Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-08-2009, 01:58 PM   #31
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think half of you have juiced dreams of VE SSV's with cammed L98's all night but just can't deal with the whole changing badges thing, due to some long time mental conditioning :P. If you want one, just do it, no one will care, it's just another company trying to offer you something to take you money, same difference either way
greenfoam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2009, 02:01 PM   #32
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenfoam
I think half of you have juiced dreams of VE SSV's with cammed L98's all night but just can't deal with the whole changing badges thing, due to some long time mental conditioning :P. If you want one, just do it, no one will care, it's just another company trying to offer you something to take you money, same difference either way

My problem was more trying not to throw up when I sat inside one...when I was considering a VESS.
Old 20-08-2009, 02:06 PM   #33
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The funny thing is you go on any American forum and they claim they love the G8 - any bang for your buck thread they always recommend it over anything else.

Personally I think they are dog ugly - but thats due to the American styling. Think our Ve's look a lot cleaner.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2009, 02:13 PM   #34
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin
The funny thing is you go on any American forum and they claim they love the G8 - any bang for your buck thread they always recommend it over anything else.
Bit like some around here, many "love it" , but not many "buy it"....

Old 20-08-2009, 02:15 PM   #35
Peter B - CV8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What would you do ?????? Scrap all existing stock - or use the items to sell appox 1,500 vehicles. Car companies are run by beancounters who try to screw as many $$$$ possible from any viable area.
Peter B - CV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2009, 02:23 PM   #36
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
What failed export program did the cobra morph from??
Correct. Falcon equivalent is the FG Series, which failed before it was exported any further then New Zealand. The steering wheel didn't end up making it across the dashboard, let alone the car over the water to the US. ;)

Give the guys credit for doing something that will sell a lot more Australian built cars here and a program that has seen a lot more Americans sample an Aussie built car then Ford ever pulled off. I mean, please lets not bring up the Mazda inspired Capri, which is Ford Australia's best effort so far.

Last edited by DanielXR8; 20-08-2009 at 02:36 PM.
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2009, 02:29 PM   #37
T3ts50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So they will be badged as Pontiacs and not Holdens?
T3ts50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2009, 02:30 PM   #38
ea90gl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Gotta love that mentality you hear so much of "If someone doesnt like something they must be jealous or really like it deep down but don't wanna admit it". There is always that slight chance out there that when someone dislikes something that they, how can I put this simply, don't actually like it?? People have different tastes otherwise Maccas would have one burger, paint would come in one coulour, houses would be in one shape, Ford would have one model........
ea90gl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2009, 02:35 PM   #39
greens_tuf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
The Pontiac is soooo, how can I put this......American looking. I'm sure they will sell very well though. Yet another jack out of the box by some smart bunnies.
You're right it is very American looking, I think it is ugly.
You've gotta laugh at all those idiots that put a Chev badge on their bombodore and then want to be all aussie pride LOL
greens_tuf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2009, 02:37 PM   #40
mafiastafcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
So it will be called a VE binparts V?
mafiastafcar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2009, 03:00 PM   #41
XWGT
Powered by Marshall

Cant wait to see one of these on the road, because I have only seen pictures and cant beleive anyone could have built anything so ugly......so hopefully in the flesh it looks a little more attractive.........
Old 20-08-2009, 03:07 PM   #42
Paddyboy

Quote:
So they will be badged as Pontiacs and not Holdens?
No, they will be badged as Holden SS or SS-V's. Just have the Pontiac G8 parts on them.
Think about it, If you bought the ute or wagon version it would be a total once off from anywhere in the world, and not just a crap one, it would have a story with it, I reckon it would be interesting to see in 30 years on the value of one of them over a normal "SS"
Old 20-08-2009, 03:08 PM   #43
T3ts50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XWGT
Cant wait to see one of these on the road, because I have only seen pictures and cant beleive anyone could have built anything so ugly......so hopefully in the flesh it looks a little more attractive.........
Ive seen a few LHD development vehicles on the road a while back. They dont look too bad, though I think an SS V looks a lot better.
T3ts50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2009, 04:18 PM   #44
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

I have seen the G8 in the flesh in the Holden Plant, I can honestly say that I did think it looked better than the VE, but then again, that is the VE. Seriously though, how biased is the authour of that article, It has been a massive failure for GMH, and Dowling is making it look as if Holden are actually releasing a new brand here. Pathetic.
Old 20-08-2009, 04:39 PM   #45
cosmo20btt
Fordaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by XWGT
Nope saw one in the carpark at QLD raceway when the teams were testing there earlier this year, it looked cheaper & nastier than a normal commode.I would would not waste a picosecond even thinking about a piece of tripe like them.
cosmo20btt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2009, 05:17 PM   #46
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Yep, extra grand over standard SSV, only has the Pontiac bonnet / front bar / lip spoiler, otherwise standard SSV...

Probably just trying to counteract FPV with the GS as we all know with most JIT manufacturing stock isnt kept on the shelf!
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2009, 06:03 PM   #47
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfiipursuit
Yep, extra grand over standard SSV, only has the Pontiac bonnet / front bar / lip spoiler, otherwise standard SSV...

Probably just trying to counteract FPV with the GS as we all know with most JIT manufacturing stock isnt kept on the shelf!
Of some components there would be plenty of stock keep in mind a lot of parts for the G8/VE would come from overseas therefore when production stopped there would have been a lot of parts on the water. Plus for some materials suppliers would have to source material well in advance - this would be sitting around at the various component suppliers. G8 just like Mitsubishi wasnt a planned exit.

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2009, 06:21 PM   #48
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

I reckon the G8 front looks heaps better than the Commodore front end. The lip spoiler on the boot is the shniz too.

But where will they put the Holden badge on the grille? :

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2009, 06:36 PM   #49
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfiipursuit

So what will it be called? you can't use commodore SSV if it doesnt look like a SSV? the AFM version will be a ripper.. tug boat looks and tug boat performance....

Old 20-08-2009, 07:42 PM   #50
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Um... where did you get that from?? the pontiac bonnet and whole front bar are different to SSV....
Im not so sure people will feel as endeared to a car made up from left over bits the US didnt want...
At least our parts bin specials have pure DNA...
Oh 4Vman you have been on the juice again.

We sell heaps of VE 'Chevy" grilles and badge kits. Our parts guys stock them. there are so many US wannabe's it's scary.

The GMH marketing folk are very clever.

I understand it's a facelift gone wrong with a strange AFM motor, but I'll bet these will all be gone, before they even hit the dealerships.
Old 20-08-2009, 07:44 PM   #51
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

So much for Holden's advanced Just In Time assembly line.

Lukeyson
Old 20-08-2009, 08:33 PM   #52
Buzz Box
Wheel Wally

I just loved this line.......

Quote:
Even though all cars will be based on the Holden Commodore SS V and wear SS V badging they are expected to become collector's items as they will mark an important milestone (and memory) in Holden history: when it last exported cars to the world's biggest car market.
Buzz Box is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2009, 09:16 PM   #53
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Haha.

Lets see.

It's fast, up until the press get normal ones. Then it's no quicker than the BF XR8.

It's a V8, but as Norm would say, it sounds like it runs on 7 cylinders.

It's mid section is well done, but the back and front look very 2001. AU looks more modern.

The flares. What's the go with them?

It's interior feels cheap and tacky, and has quite a disappointing layout.

And so that we don't take this off topic: It's got a Holden badge.
You see some people take them off for chev badges.
I believe buyers of this G8 would be doing the same for Pontiac badges.

Last edited by Falc'man; 20-08-2009 at 09:30 PM.
Falc'man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2009, 09:32 PM   #54
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ea90gl
Gotta love that mentality you hear so much of "If someone doesnt like something they must be jealous or really like it deep down but don't wanna admit it". There is always that slight chance out there that when someone dislikes something that they, how can I put this simply, don't actually like it?? People have different tastes otherwise Maccas would have one burger, paint would come in one coulour, houses would be in one shape, Ford would have one model........
True!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2009, 09:59 PM   #55
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Savage Fibreglass Price List
Current Pricing For Savage Fibreglass Products

All prices include GST

Bonnets
Product Fibreglass Steel
VN VP Monaro $650 $1150
VR VS Monaro $650 $1150
VT VX Monaro $650 $1150
VT/VX/VU Banshee $750 N/A
VT/VX/VU Enforcer $750 N/A
VT Pontiac N/A $1850
VY Monaro $650 $1150
VZ Monaro $650 $1150
FORD XR8 $650 $1150
VE Pontiac N/A $1850
Body Kits
Product Fibreglass
Aero Front Bar $600
Aero Rear Bar $600
Aero Blade $160
Aero Side Skirts $300
Aero Door Panels $200
Aero Calais Grill $100
Aero Pillar Covers $150
Aero Rear Windscreen
(3 piece wing + LED) $450
Aero Director Wing $350
Accessories
Product Fibreglass
VT Engine Cover $120
Gen 3 engine covers $160
Old 20-08-2009, 10:34 PM   #56
XD ESP! XELR8
ESP5 + BOOST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Plaizier
So much for Holden's advanced Just In Time assembly line.

Lukeyson
LOL!!
XD ESP! XELR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2009, 11:08 PM   #57
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Aha they could be sold with pedals and steering wheel on both sides ??
Driving schools would love them ?? Lol...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2009, 01:24 AM   #58
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
I reckon the G8 front looks heaps better than the Commodore front end. The lip spoiler on the boot is the shniz too.

But where will they put the Holden badge on the grille? :

Old school merc style...on the bonnet!! lol
Old 21-08-2009, 02:57 AM   #59
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i could be wrong but i think this will just devalue the local content, and not many being made does not always gaurantee them being sought after down the track.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2009, 12:55 PM   #60
Paddyboy

Quote:
i could be wrong but i think this will just devalue the local content, and not many being made does not always gaurantee them being sought after down the track.
True, there will be some ****ed off VE SS owners out there. I get your point about not many been made, but this is different then the usual limited edition where all you get is a different logo stitched in your seats and a set of racing stripes. And as I mentioned before, these cars will have a story/history to them. That will add appeal.