Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 15-03-2011, 10:31 AM   #31
scoupedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr8240
Um ?? How far away is the shed ??
I know you get voltage drop over distance...
But I would be running some overhead wire.
16mm sq XLPE can run 200m easy with two poles...
Its about 8 km away but there is a business nearby but they won't help
scoupedy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2011, 10:37 AM   #32
scoupedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by whynot
If you believe that you have a case for exemption, try this web site ...

http://www.ambulancecover.qld.gov.au...le/index.shtml

The "service to property" is a connection charge. Remember that Energex/Ergon has spent considerable money (ranging from hundreds to thousands of dollars) to put in the electricity meter (the cost of one electricity meter alone is around $100 wholesale), low voltage link pillar, low voltage power lines. As an exercise, have a look at the electricity infrastructure that has been installed just to supply your shed. Now, run down to the local Haymans and price the components. Next, do the maths on how long it would take to recover these costs with just $2 per quarter income.

Yes, the connection charges are expensive. It is specifically designed to deter people from having uneconomic connections to the network. (Which your’s clearly is!)

So, either put up with the charges or buy a generator (around $850 upwards for a good 2KVA) or install an isolated solar power supply (around $8000 for one that can run isolated from the electricity grid).

[Edit: While you are down at the generator shop, tell them that you want to pay it off at the rate of $2 per quarter and see what type of reaction you get]
ha i guessing your an electrician
unlike a country farm they have only run cables behind an existing business everything was in place when i rented the property and i'm sure the original connection fee would have covered these costs whats it worth to connect a new house?? anyone?
Old 15-03-2011, 10:39 AM   #33
scoupedy

Thanks everyone for putting up with this rant really seams stupid now with everything going on in Japan and NZ.
Old 15-03-2011, 06:34 PM   #34
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by duaned
Dunno about that! It make take money saved on electricity over 10 years to pay for it!
Paid for both solar power and hot water. Pretty happy with the results.........Much rather my electricity bill than yours
Old 18-03-2011, 11:01 AM   #35
dave289
Banned

Default Re: Electricity bill rant

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggerlugs
Paid for both solar power and hot water. Pretty happy with the results.........Much rather my electricity bill than yours
The solar scheme seems like a bit of a rort, they make out like the government pays you money but they dont, it just reduces your bill after spending thousands to set it up.My neighbour has recently installed one on his roof so I will ask him what the go is.
dave289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2011, 12:52 AM   #36
whynot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave289
The solar scheme seems like a bit of a rort, they make out like the government pays you money but they dont, it just reduces your bill after spending thousands to set it up.My neighbour has recently installed one on his roof so I will ask him what the go is.
If you install solar you get around $8,000 of equipment for between $1,600 and $3,000. The money you spend is returned in around 6 years. After that, it is free electricity. My NPV calculations on a solar install was around $7000 to the consumer.
whynot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2011, 12:15 PM   #37
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by whynot
If you install solar you get around $8,000 of equipment for between $1,600 and $3,000. The money you spend is returned in around 6 years. After that, it is free electricity. My NPV calculations on a solar install was around $7000 to the consumer.
Yes but it won't work on a low usage shed...
Thought off...
Batteries, generator and 3kw inverter for about $500... ??
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2011, 12:26 PM   #38
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoupedy
Thanks everyone for putting up with this rant really seams stupid now with everything going on in Japan and NZ.
Why not look at a panel or two ,a decent battery/ small inverter and a modest genny for larger loads ? certainly a couple of years power and ambulence would cover it
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2011, 05:24 PM   #39
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123
It would need to be a pretty big one.......
Massively huge one actually , will only take you 100 years to pay it off from the savings over base load power . If every day is bright and sunny .
wrongwaynorris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2011, 05:13 PM   #40
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongwaynorris
Massively huge one actually , will only take you 100 years to pay it off from the savings over base load power . If every day is bright and sunny .
Check out his usage ..Very little..Going by actual KW usage...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post