Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-11-2015, 11:30 PM   #31
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has been consistently providing good technical advice etc. to AFF members, by having the vast technical knowledge he has with the various Ford products. A valuable AFF member 

You're awesome.
Top_Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 07-11-2015, 12:18 AM   #32
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: ABS brakes how to sitch off for dirt roads

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxx000 View Post
So take them, Mitsubishi, to court. You seem confident you have a case.
If someone got killed I think their could be a case.

But I try to avoid the Roo's as well, fat chance with that ABS.

ABS is all good you know, but for loose dirt roads.

Traction control is crap as well as it cuts to much power out or all of it at once, but you can switch it off.

All this modern day crap is only just for idiots who can't drive for jack it's true.

All I want to know is can I just get a set up like a button to switch the Nanny ABS off on loose gravel so I feel safe and in total control on the dirt roads and know it will not cause any problems ? is that to much to ask people.

Do the latest rally cars have ABS in racing ? or traction control.
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2015, 12:19 AM   #33
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top_Ghia View Post
You're awesome.
The only thing I call Awesome is God !
Old 07-11-2015, 12:21 AM   #34
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has been consistently providing good technical advice etc. to AFF members, by having the vast technical knowledge he has with the various Ford products. A valuable AFF member 

So you put your faith in God but don't trust ABS?
Old 07-11-2015, 12:25 AM   #35
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by castellan View Post

Do the latest rally cars have ABS in racing ? or traction control.

Given the opportunity rally cars and even F1 cars and drivers would all run ABS and traction control. But they're not very good drivers.
Old 07-11-2015, 01:27 AM   #36
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Given the opportunity rally cars and even F1 cars and drivers would all run ABS and traction control. But they're not very good drivers.
Fact is F1 has bugger all to do with dirt roads, let alone loose gravel or marbles type stuff. it's a total different racing thing.

Some dirt roads are hard pack that the tyres can get a lot of traction on, in that case ABS will work spot on but that's the good news.

I for one know do know that it's a fact that ABS does not cut it on loose dirt roads, I had it said to me that the modern day ABS is better than the older ABS and all the assist yes that's true, but not on the loose stuff it's not.

I would have confidence to drive on some of the dirt roads at 160 KM/H in the Lancer but not with the ABS on, I would say 80 KM/H could be way too fast with the ABS on, I just have no confidence in it's ability.

I know the road well and know what I am on about, that I don't need some city yobbo trying to inform me that I am wrong.

Do any of you drive more than 10,000 KM on just dirt roads a year, too know what I am on about.
How many roo's do you have to avoid a year.
Old 07-11-2015, 01:37 AM   #37
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
So you put your faith in God but don't trust ABS?
Faith is the substance of, it gives the assent to on account due to good authority for such.

Blind faith is just rubbish that stupid idiots claim.

I sure have a lot faith in ABS on wet roads and also it's good stuff for idiots and morons for sure it will help them.
Old 07-11-2015, 02:15 AM   #38
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've driven several thousand of kms on dirt roads and about 1000 would of been in the wet. I have only had 1 problem with abs not slowing the car properly.
Heavy rain approaching a sharp corner at a low speed. Brakes on and nothing happens, start to turn the wheel and nothing happens either. Wheels finally grip and the car turns.
Be a little more cautious and you would be fine.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2015, 02:50 AM   #39
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
I would have confidence to drive on some of the dirt roads at 160 KM/H in the Lancer but not with the ABS on, I would say 80 KM/H could be way too fast with the ABS on, I just have no confidence in it's ability.

I know the road well and know what I am on about, that I don't need some city yobbo trying to inform me that I am wrong.

Do any of you drive more than 10,000 KM on just dirt roads a year, too know what I am on about.
How many roo's do you have to avoid a year.
I spent about half my driving life on dirt roo infested roads both black and red soils which could be nightmarish and unpassable in the wet and with some horrific corrugations in the heat of summer and sand banks along both tabledrains and all of it before ABS, TC & ESP until I decided to embrace the city life.

I do notice a difference in my driving style these days when I head back home partly due to my maturity where my reflexes have diminished and therefore I take a more cautious instead of erratic approach and also the driver’s aids that are there to help me require a slower driving style.

My Owner’s Manual says in regard to ABS that ‘I should always adjust my driving style to suit prevailing road and weather conditions’ and for ESP that ’it may be best to deactivate ESP on sand and gravel’.

At the risk of having my head bit off by the driving purists I find this advice to be beyond compare when it comes to my family’s safety as to slow down and practice a little patience is better than a family funeral.

Because of this gentle approach I've never had a problem with ABS on a dirt road.
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 07-11-2015, 07:21 AM   #40
290GTP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If your driving 10000 klicks a year on dirt roads then why in ****s sake did you buy a new Lancer?

Mercury Silver 03 BA GT-P Tremec TR3650 Number 534

Herrod 4 into ones, Manta Exhaust, CAI, K&N Filter, Mellings oil pump, 19" FPV alloys, Bilsteins, Kings, tuned by Autotech, 272rwkw

RIP Fish 15/1/73 - 9/2/19
290GTP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 07-11-2015, 12:25 PM   #41
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 290GTP View Post
If your driving 10000 klicks a year on dirt roads then why in ****s sake did you buy a new Lancer?
I bought it for my daughter and for her to learn too drive, as my SS is way to powerful for anyone learning to drive.
My SS engine was going to blow up so I traded it directly, and will be driving the GSR for 6 months or so till I get another SS.

But I like the GSR it's fun to drive for now, but some mates hate that I have it and say it's just not me my daughter says the car is to small for me
I don't care what people think I am enjoying driving it and it goes well enough and can cruse along at 160 km/h easy as.

I do about 50,000km a year and can't stand driving 4x4's.

I am sure the bug will bite for driving an SS again.
Old 07-11-2015, 12:35 PM   #42
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I don't care what people think I am enjoying driving it and it goes well enough and can cruse along at 160 km/h easy as.
Hmmm, might need to re evaluate your position after writing that
Old 07-11-2015, 12:57 PM   #43
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Express View Post
I spent about half my driving life on dirt roo infested roads both black and red soils which could be nightmarish and unpassable in the wet and with some horrific corrugations in the heat of summer and sand banks along both tabledrains and all of it before ABS, TC & ESP until I decided to embrace the city life.

I do notice a difference in my driving style these days when I head back home partly due to my maturity where my reflexes have diminished and therefore I take a more cautious instead of erratic approach and also the driver’s aids that are there to help me require a slower driving style.

My Owner’s Manual says in regard to ABS that ‘I should always adjust my driving style to suit prevailing road and weather conditions’ and for ESP that ’it may be best to deactivate ESP on sand and gravel’.

At the risk of having my head bit off by the driving purists I find this advice to be beyond compare when it comes to my family’s safety as to slow down and practice a little patience is better than a family funeral.

Because of this gentle approach I've never had a problem with ABS on a dirt road.
Yes I am old as well but I still race my dirt bike.

But I still like to know things can be pushed too the limit and feel comfortable in doing it at ten tenths, I am like f ing right I am all for it and I love to fight as well, it's like good one someone wants to have a go.
Maybe it's in my job you have to go flat out all day and push yourself and other people don't like that type of thing at all. all tho I am getting too old to do such, I still like it, but the body complains

I don't drive like that with my family on board, but if something pops up out of the blue I will know how to best deal with it directly instead of being ignorant to the cars ability's and that would just constitute incompetence in my books.
Old 07-11-2015, 01:11 PM   #44
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M View Post
Hmmm, might need to re evaluate your position after writing that
I am going to Darwin soon again and I think I will get good fuel economy by setting the cruise control on 160KM/H

From 120KM/H to 160KM/H it's very willing to respond.

I have had it up to 190KM/H and it was still winding out fine.

The book says it can do 200KM/H so it may be speed limited ?

My wife's Aurion book says it will do 230KM/H I have only taken it to 140KM/H so I imagine it's speed limited as well.
Old 07-11-2015, 01:16 PM   #45
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Expect fuel consumption to go up about 60% at 160km/h. Fuel economy will be best around 80-90km/h but those speeds are impractical in the NT as it would take days to get anywhere. 120-140 is probably a good compromise.
Old 07-11-2015, 01:23 PM   #46
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sounds like you drive it in the right place to do it so I hope all goes smoothly.
I understand your frustrations with interfering driving aids but I believe they are there for the great unwashed and they are here to stay.

Having said that occasionally the rear in my leaf sprung ABS only ute can snap out with not much warning in the wet so I drive it conservatively when in those conditions.

cheers
Bill.
Old 07-11-2015, 01:44 PM   #47
XG_Falcon

Quote:
I bought it for my daughter and for her to learn too drive, as my SS is way to powerful for anyone learning to drive.
My SS engine was going to blow up so I traded it directly, and will be driving the GSR for 6 months or so till I get another SS.
An SS with an engine that is "going to blow up" is too powerful for a learner? I drove a stroked windsor when I was on my L's...
XG_Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2015, 02:04 PM   #48
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Yes I am old as well but I still race my dirt bike.

But I still like to know things can be pushed too the limit and feel comfortable in doing it at ten tenths, I am like f ing right I am all for it and I love to fight as well, it's like good one someone wants to have a go.
Maybe it's in my job you have to go flat out all day and push yourself and other people don't like that type of thing at all. all tho I am getting too old to do such, I still like it, but the body complains

I don't drive like that with my family on board, but if something pops up out of the blue I will know how to best deal with it directly instead of being ignorant to the cars ability's and that would just constitute incompetence in my books.
Maybe you should just buy some old Aussie iron from the 60’s or 70’s.

They may not be as fast as modern cars but you won’t be hampered by driving aids and you’ll be allowed to exercise your driving skills to your full potential and you’ll look way cool while steering one.

When I’m back home I always take my grandfather’s old FC Ute out of the shed for a fang around the paddocks and do love the way it drives in the dirt but that’s just for a bit of fun, I don’t drive like that on public roads.

I still ride bikes but I’ve never raced them and even though I’m at times a little stupid with them that’s only ever on our property and not on public roads.

I can understand what you say about ABS on dirt but I’ve moved with the times and I’ve given up smoking and I now also wear a seat belt even when just pottering around from paddock to paddock.

Progress doesn’t always suit everyone and unfortunately this is one of those occasions where you’ve been left out in the rain.
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2015, 05:35 PM   #49
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XG_Falcon View Post
An SS with an engine that is "going to blow up" is too powerful for a learner? I drove a stroked windsor when I was on my L's...
Even the wife spins the wheels taking off in the SS the clutch is a bit heavy and like 500HP I say no as I can't get at the brakes on the passenger side.
Old 07-11-2015, 06:01 PM   #50
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Express View Post
Maybe you should just buy some old Aussie iron from the 60’s or 70’s.

They may not be as fast as modern cars but you won’t be hampered by driving aids and you’ll be allowed to exercise your driving skills to your full potential and you’ll look way cool while steering one.

When I’m back home I always take my grandfather’s old FC Ute out of the shed for a fang around the paddocks and do love the way it drives in the dirt but that’s just for a bit of fun, I don’t drive like that on public roads.

I still ride bikes but I’ve never raced them and even though I’m at times a little stupid with them that’s only ever on our property and not on public roads.

I can understand what you say about ABS on dirt but I’ve moved with the times and I’ve given up smoking and I now also wear a seat belt even when just pottering around from paddock to paddock.

Progress doesn’t always suit everyone and unfortunately this is one of those occasions where you’ve been left out in the rain.
I have sold all my old cars because I am to old to be bothered to work on them now.

I am just going to be one up on the tec and work to cut out the ABS with a switch, I don't want to be pulling up and pulling out the fuse and then back in again.

I just thought someone may of been smarter than the average bear and had gone down this path themselves.

I have never smoked or never not wore a seatbelt but not many people use the roads I am on about that are good for fanging, some ya turn off and are off the main bit and then come back on to the main and some are more of a track with grass in the centre smooth as and just magic, some are big swooping corners that ya can hang the tail out for say 400m and some of the road is just rubbish you have to drive 40KM/H and look out for rocks that will destroy your tyres, but the good stuff is worth that pain.

I can't wait to get out their again now that's what I call living.
Old 07-11-2015, 06:10 PM   #51
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Because people think they are awesome drivers who can drive better than any stupid computer. These same people believe seat belts and air bags kill people.
On loose gravel, it is better to have some wheel lock-up for an emergency stop, then to prevent any skidding at all. The loose gravel will build up in front of the tyres, causing it to slow down quicker. ABS is best for most other situations. I had a 1996 Grand Cherokee I bought for off-roading, and I pulled out the ABS fuse, because it sucked otherwise.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2015, 06:18 PM   #52
sly_ba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Is that you hulk...?
sly_ba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-11-2015, 07:22 PM   #53
XG_Falcon

Quote:
Even the wife spins the wheels taking off in the SS the clutch is a bit heavy and like 500HP I say no as I can't get at the brakes on the passenger side.
A little bit of clutch control goes a long way.
XG_Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2015, 07:29 PM   #54
nstg8a

So much attitude on some of the comments... Dude asked a simple question.not sure why everyone feels the need to try and belittle him over it.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2015, 12:15 AM   #55
Davehoos
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mum has a 6 year old lancer I guess its like hers and has low profile economy [low rolling resistance] tyre that will have a double the stopping distance. the car is great on the local rural road but not at a TON.

If the local rego station is to believed a large number of users bypass the ABS systems this is now a defect in NSW thanks to Victoria.

Ive had a few off road adventures with the HINO truck- due to using steer hyway tyres. with the ABS going over time on curves you loose steering direction control. the engine operates within a few hundred RPM so you cant use gears. But when the ABS sencors fail due to corrugation you can end up all over the road as the drum brakes arnt up to the job without the electronics.

I have a hyway lug on the rear now and on some of our automatic truck fleet we had a multi use front steer tyre fitted for wet clay as you depend on brakes.
Davehoos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post