Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 27-06-2006, 09:11 PM   #31
PH47
Ford Power, in a Merc?

Heh three cheers for having a cruiser.. low and slow is the way to go ;)
Old 27-06-2006, 09:20 PM   #32
GT-E

This is a joke and would be defeated in any court in the country because of the unfairness of the law.
I do not see how a person in a $500k+ lambo doing 45km/h over the limit at 4am on a 6 lane freeway should suffer the same penalty as some red P plater in a $5,000 turbo import doing 100km/h in a 50 zone in the middle of the day.
I have driven many times over 45km/h and I can tell you the world does not end and life goes on.
Road safety is a TOTAL JOKE in this country and the brainwashed lemmings that think this penalty is good, should go and learn how to really drive a car.
The governments should spend all their efforts on improving driver skills and not trying to steal their cars and wallets.
Old 27-06-2006, 09:21 PM   #33
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

I foresee this thread being closed very soon..
Old 27-06-2006, 09:25 PM   #34
T_Terror
The Guy You Love To Hate

The sad thing is, i liberal party is in support of this too.

The only way to stop this is to battle it out in court. Or just floor it and make sure you dont get caught...
Old 27-06-2006, 09:40 PM   #35
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.9 EF Futura
Agree with brute6 and davway - 45km over is going VERY quick!
If the speed limit on freeways was 45km above the current 100km/h, then there would be no problem as all the traffic (bar some idiot moron old fart doing 35km/h in the right land lane) would be moving at that speed
Old 27-06-2006, 09:44 PM   #36
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

45k over the limit...and you are caught I beleive fair enough.
3k over limit and done by speed camera......just onther tax.

So its Ok to do 145+ becasue no one is around on a stretch of road.......? I rekon about 500+ people a year say that and wrap them sleves around something. Accidents arent planned, they just happen cos of stupidity whether it be excessive speed or tyre goes or roo hops out or.....what ever. Its the 'Wont happen to me' syndrome! Oh.....and yes I do speed from time to time! Who doesnt!

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 27-06-2006, 09:51 PM   #37
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by auslandau
So its Ok to do 145+ becasue no one is around on a stretch of road.......? I rekon about 500+ people a year say that and wrap them sleves around something. Accidents arent planned, they just happen cos of stupidity whether it be excessive speed or tyre goes or roo hops out or.....what ever. Its the 'Wont happen to me' syndrome!
yeah i was going to say that but 'can of worms' comes to mind!
Old 27-06-2006, 10:15 PM   #38
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

IMO if you're speeing in an urban (read 80km/h or below) you deserve to get nailed

if they want to reduce the highway road toll, they should improve the quality of the roads

its quite safe to cruise down the highway at 200 in the NT because, for the most part, thier worst highways make the other states a+ grade highways look like bush tracks....

improve the condition and quality of the roads, improve driver training and i see no problem with removing the speed limits

the reason it doesnt get done? because the governments make too much money from speeding fines.... keeping the roads in a state of constant disrepair increases accidents which get blamed on speed, which gets used as a justification for more radar guns, speed traps and cameras, which brings in even more revenue for the politicians to line thier pockets with

improving the roads and removing speedlimits would only mean negative cashflow....
Old 27-06-2006, 10:37 PM   #39
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantz
yeah i was going to say that but 'can of worms' comes to mind!
Yep......."This thread will be closing shortley so please make your statements and move to the front of the Forum. and thank you for making an opinion"

Talking about speed limits brings out all the......."Oh I speed at over 150km's all the time and look at me, I can still type!" :

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 27-06-2006, 10:39 PM   #40
Barry_v
rocknrolla

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZapXR6T
I do not see how a person in a $500k+ lambo doing 45km/h over the limit at 4am on a 6 lane freeway should suffer the same penalty as some red P plater in a $5,000 turbo import doing 100km/h in a 50 zone in the middle of the day.
I love it how you bring the value of the vehicle and the age of the driver into an example. I suppose only older people who can afford expensive cars should be allowed to speed. hang on, you're an older person who has an expensive car. coincidence that. why dont you just write "nobody can speed but me".

Quote:
So its Ok to do 145+ becasue no one is around on a stretch of road.......? I rekon about 500+ people a year say that and wrap them sleves around something. Accidents arent planned, they just happen cos of stupidity whether it be excessive speed or tyre goes or roo hops out or.....what ever. Its the 'Wont happen to me' syndrome! Oh.....and yes I do speed from time to time! Who doesnt!
couldnt have said it better myself.
Old 27-06-2006, 10:53 PM   #41
GT-E

Barry, You cant read.
I said a "person in a $500k+ lambo" and then "some red P plater in a $5,000 turbo import"
I hate to break it too you but any age can get a Red P plate.
I was trying to say that someone gets fined $500,000 for the "same offence" as someone else (read NO AGE) who only gets fined $5,000
It is a joke and would not survive any test in the courts.
Old 27-06-2006, 10:55 PM   #42
Agent86
Not so low, not so slow.

a lot of our new cars a built and engineered to be saflely operated at higher speeds than is legal.

some of our hiway system is safe to be operated ON at higher speeds ( SOME not ALL )

the main problem is the low performance of the average driver. being a truck operator gives me a great chance to see the lack of skills the lemmings display daily.
i had a car cut me off in a 45 tonne truck in the wet and then stop to turn at the lights.

these drivers should be restricted in driving. being the lowest common denominator, means they are the ones catered for. unfortunatley this means that we will have rules and legislarion drafted for them..

we have a govt that is moving one step closer at a time to removing our freedoms. I do not believe that we wil lbe the free country for long if they arent brought to heel, but who can bring them to heel?
Old 27-06-2006, 10:59 PM   #43
normxb
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Location: Sitting on the Dunny , Contemplating "What to do Next".

The way I see it , they have to "set the bar" somewhere,,, Ok most people are on this forum because we're car nuts. Most are mechanically minded & keep our cars in pretty good condition & have our car set up right. If you're 45k over in a 40/60/80 zone , you're crazy , 45k over on a 110k freeway/highway your car "could" be quite safe ...... BUT what about the guy who doesn't know a screwdriver from a shifter , shockers are shot , wheelbearings sloppy ,brakelines leak, tyres just on the limit , drives 15 mins to work every day , everythings OK . THEN once every 6-8 months gets on the freeway & does 145k's , "cos he can" , but at that speed his car handles like a " bucket of water & takes a 747 runway to stop " .You can't have a Law for one & not the other.

I certainly wouldn't want to share the road with the other guy.

Also , have many of you had a smash at 100 k's , I have & believe me , it's all over IN Seconds . It was a fine day, good road , semi coming the other way ? ? I was level with the cab of the semi , guy behind semi makes a right turn . All I remember is his blinker , then him in front of me ........All over ,,,,,I T-boned him & he died Instantly ...... 32 yrs ago & it still feels like yesterday. He was bleeding from the ears . nose & mouth & side of his head from the "B"pillar ... Believe me , it's hard to live with even though I was not at fault.

Keeping FORDS in the family

(Embarressment :yeees: , Son now has a "Camira" : )
"Look Right , Look Left , Look Right , BEFORE crossing Roads"
Old 27-06-2006, 11:13 PM   #44
Barry_v
rocknrolla

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZapXR6T
Barry, You cant read.
I said a "person in a $500k+ lambo" and then "some red P plater in a $5,000 turbo import"
I hate to break it too you but any age can get a Red P plate.
I was trying to say that someone gets fined $500,000 for the "same offence" as someone else (read NO AGE) who only gets fined $5,000
It is a joke and would not survive any test in the courts.
well i dont even know what the hell a red P plate is. SA doesnt have that rubbish, we have a single red on white plate.

if you use your legally registered gun to shoot 5 people, do you think its going to make any diference what model/its value is? NO! they are going to take it off you!
Old 27-06-2006, 11:14 PM   #45
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

yeah it's unfortunate that most people won't change until they experience something similar to what you did Norm. even after reading that, and the story of the fatal accident i witnessed, and the one Aeron saw recently, people will still just turn their noses up and say 'stuff it that's them not me, now let's see what this thing's top speed is'

unfortunately it's human nature to be stupid, unless someone can think of a better word to describe it.
Old 27-06-2006, 11:17 PM   #46
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Guys only one thing to say drive according to the rules in your state/territory....if you want open your beast up...go to the N.T.....but don't forget they can do you for drive in a manner dangerous...and they don't have to chase you they get on the radio and set up a road block!!!!!!!!!!!!

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
Old 27-06-2006, 11:22 PM   #47
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Speed gets the attention of governments and safety groups (sponsored by the govt)because it can be measured ( by a camera gun etc.).

Really its driver inattention and/or stupidity that kills. Unfortunately its difficult to take photos or recordings of this, so they target speed.

Ah well thats life.....just have to put up with it, because nobody listens.
Old 27-06-2006, 11:26 PM   #48
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia
Speed gets the attention of governments and safety groups (sponsored by the govt)because it can be measured ( by a camera gun etc.).

Really its driver inattention and/or stupidity that kills. Unfortunately its difficult to take photos or recordings of this, so they target speed.

Ah well thats life.....just have to put up with it, because nobody listens.

How true!!!!!

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
Old 27-06-2006, 11:33 PM   #49
schmidty
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think its about time some of the cars on the road were sorted out and road conditions and driver education improved before they worry too much about this stuff. A vast majority of young drivers these days, particularly females never get the chance to get any defensive driving experience, or learn the capabilities of their cars and skill levels in a controlled or open environment. Usually get thrown in the deep end when something goes wrong and instead of playing and practicing with witches hats they are learning with other peoples lives at stake!

Speed cameras and 3kmh tolerances are just like a spell checker for people with bad spelling! It doesnt make their spelling better, just stops the mistakes from coming through. Doesnt solve the problem. Speed cameras just slow the idiots down so they still crash but just dont die as often! Prevention is 10 times better than cure.

And honestly i'd rather be sharing my stretch of highway with well maintained cars and well experienced and educated drivers doing over the posted speed limit than with Con the fruiteres old rusty econovan with shot brakes, well over loaded with 1 head light and bald tyres wiping off 5. I'd love to see some stats on the breakdown of whats done with speed camera revenue! Surely it doesnt end up back into roads and road safety. If it does it's not being used on any roads around here!
Old 27-06-2006, 11:36 PM   #50
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xd5.8l
I'm fed up don't they have more important issues!!!!!!!!!!!! :jab:
I had a cop car with acouple of sl#ts fly passed me today 100 in a 70 zone. Not to mention the time I had a pursuit car fly pass at double the speed on the western ring rd, Senior seargent!!!!!!! There might be good cops out there but the ones I come across just abuse their position.
If the pigs set a good example and followed their own legislations that are in place things would be different, until that happens I can't see a solution to this problem.
if the pigs set a good example good one

i hope you need the police to come to your house one day and they find out that you said that

what do you think they would say

im guessing sorry mate/suvilian we cant help you

dont you think you should have put IF THE POLICE SET A GOOD EXAMPLE you might get a few better responces on your post

im not a police officer but i hate it when people bag them out

also you dont why the police officer was doing that speed

not to happy with this

jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 27-06-2006, 11:37 PM   #51
070mstg

Quote:
45k over the limit...and you are caught I beleive fair enough.
3k over limit and done by speed camera......just onther tax.

agreed
Old 27-06-2006, 11:41 PM   #52
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidty
I think its about time some of the cars on the road were sorted out and road conditions and driver education improved before they worry too much about this stuff. A vast majority of young drivers these days, particularly females never get the chance to get any defensive driving experience, or learn the capabilities of their cars and skill levels in a controlled or open environment. Usually get thrown in the deep end when something goes wrong and instead of playing and practicing with witches hats they are learning with other peoples lives at stake!

Speed cameras and 3kmh tolerances are just like a spell checker for people with bad spelling! It doesnt make their spelling better, just stops the mistakes from coming through. Doesnt solve the problem. Speed cameras just slow the idiots down so they still crash but just dont die as often! Prevention is 10 times better than cure.

And honestly i'd rather be sharing my stretch of highway with well maintained cars and well experienced and educated drivers doing over the posted speed limit than with Con the fruiteres old rusty econovan with shot brakes, well over loaded with 1 head light and bald tyres wiping off 5. I'd love to see some stats on the breakdown of whats done with speed camera revenue! Surely it doesnt end up back into roads and road safety. If it does it's not being used on any roads around here!
I agree fully. Why dont they at least teach emergency braking techniques so that drivers can stop in shorter distances?

Its criminal what the young drivers dont learn when learning to drive.
Old 27-06-2006, 11:46 PM   #53
Smoked
Burnin Rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
i cant think of one genuine reason why anyone needs to go 45kmh over the limit.
You've obviously never had an emergency.

I did atleast 100km/h if not slightly more in a 50 zone whilst rushing my mother to a hospital whilst she suffered a heart attack. Is that genuine enough?
***Coming Soon: Clear Side Repeaters***
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-ShowStoPPa
...dont get me wrong this 3.8v6 is pretty special, it does come with the popular shake rattle and roll option and the auto compliments this with the ever popular snap crackle and pop feature
Old 27-06-2006, 11:48 PM   #54
schmidty
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia
I agree fully. Why dont they at least teach emergency braking techniques so that drivers can stop in shorter distances?

Its criminal what the young drivers dont learn when learning to drive.

Yep. Its sad when you get in a car with someone who's just got their license these days. Our apprentice has literally got no idea how to do anything. they are only schooled in the areas they need to be competent in to pass the test and the rest is left for them to figure out. After going for a drive to the shop with the apprentice there was no way we could leave him keep driving without helping him out a bit. We ended up taking him out on some acerage a friend owns and showing him how some basic stuff works that he had no idea about, simple things like how u lose your steering with locked wheels, how to brake hard and steer around a hazard and even recovering from a slide. Stuff that he would never have felt or experienced until he was trying to avoid someone kid on the road or someone grandma pulling out in front of him. The system is rooted!
Old 27-06-2006, 11:49 PM   #55
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoked
You've obviously never had an emergency.

I did atleast 100km/h if not slightly more in a 50 zone whilst rushing my mother to a hospital whilst she suffered a heart attack. Is that genuine enough?
to me that is more than genuine

i have had to do it when taking my daughter to hospital too during an astma attack she was at the time 2 1/2 ys old

jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 27-06-2006, 11:52 PM   #56
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

I cant believe there is even a thread on this.

And whats this poo about driving in the desert, who the heck does that anyway, and most f the deserts in the NT, like mentioned before, dont have a speed limit; so go get your rocks off there.

Or heres a novel idea, go to a track you ***** wit!

+45 on any stretch of road is stupid, im not saying that its unsafe, but if others do not have your free spirit then theres going to be trouble.

+1 vote for stupidest winge ever!
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 27-06-2006, 11:58 PM   #57
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

why don't we start another poll about it...

"FordForums.com.au - Now with 68% more polls!"
Old 28-06-2006, 12:23 AM   #58
GCFordChic
I love AU XR8s

The poll could be called "When do you think it is ok to be an idiot and endanger your own life and other people's and speed?"

A) always i just love speeding
B) when i am pretending to be an ambulance
C) when i am pretending to be a cop
D) when i just want to get home and watch TV
E) when i'm racing my friends on public roads
F) when i am a perfect driver and so is everyone else

I predict that half will say F) BECAUSE ITS NEVER OK and the other half will spread themselves out between the others...

i solved it! no need to do a poll....OR continue this thread...

FPV & XR Owners Club of Qld
Want more info on our club?
fpvxrqldinfo@gmail.com
or see our Club Section

My Garage:
AU II XR8 Sedan "Lil T"
Hyundai i30 SR
yeah baby!
Old 28-06-2006, 12:37 AM   #59
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interceptor
IMO if you're speeing in an urban (read 80km/h or below) you deserve to get nailed

if they want to reduce the highway road toll, they should improve the quality of the roads

its quite safe to cruise down the highway at 200 in the NT because, for the most part, thier worst highways make the other states a+ grade highways look like bush tracks....

improve the condition and quality of the roads, improve driver training and i see no problem with removing the speed limits

the reason it doesnt get done? because the governments make too much money from speeding fines.... keeping the roads in a state of constant disrepair increases accidents which get blamed on speed, which gets used as a justification for more radar guns, speed traps and cameras, which brings in even more revenue for the politicians to line thier pockets with

improving the roads and removing speedlimits would only mean negative cashflow....
Those are very valid points there Interceptor
Old 28-06-2006, 12:44 AM   #60
GCFordChic
I love AU XR8s

I just had to say that until reading through the post by Interceptor i had this terrible awfully stereotypical picture in my head of NT roads. I thought that they were all dirt roads and everyone drove beat up old utes. :
I am happy to be corrected in that opinion and am glad that NT roads are top quality, but I still cant get that image out of my head....

I might just note that when i first came to Australia as a 5 year old I was too scared to step out of the car in the carpark of our Gold Coast, middle of the 'burbs' house because i thought there would be snakes and spiders everywhere and i would get bitten and die...

Ah well, it gave me a laugh... :

FPV & XR Owners Club of Qld
Want more info on our club?
fpvxrqldinfo@gmail.com
or see our Club Section

My Garage:
AU II XR8 Sedan "Lil T"
Hyundai i30 SR
yeah baby!
Closed Thread