Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: WHAT IS YOUR FAVOURITE FORD MAGAZINE?
STREET MACHINE FORDS 37 31.36%
STREET FORDS 30 25.42%
PERFORMANCE FORD 51 43.22%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Old 17-05-2006, 04:11 PM   #31
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

PFM is the only one I buy on the odd occasion. I usually buy if I see a clevo tech article or a X series article that interests me.

Tuned by Hallam Performance
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2006, 05:56 PM   #32
aimzes
...fairly odd

street fords is ok, some of the cars featured are a bit "meh" but it seems to be improving i mean its still pretty new.

always buy the SM fords. usually a pretty good read.
aimzes is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2006, 07:25 PM   #33
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
I prefer Australian Musclecar Magazine, solid content, excellent text, good tech articles and great historical stuff.
Im with you, but of the others i like Street Fords wish all 3 would do more stuff on the Boss Series Engines though.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2006, 08:16 PM   #34
Pilch
X-Series Club Moderator

My vote goes to Street Fords, although I am not a huge magazine reader/buyer. More tech and X-Series content would be good, and I beleive Street Fords are working on this area.....
Pilch is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2006, 08:45 PM   #35
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

All three of them are great mags!!! but i read Performance Ford the most.
Old 19-05-2006, 01:21 PM   #36
XW_GS
Paulie

Same.... if an article interests me ill buy it, but them ringtone ads!!!!
I have to keep the mags away from the kids now!!! Its a pity the mags have stooped so low to accept dollars from these theives...

I really want to know where the Jamster main offices are!!!!

out: JAMSTER

My Website
www.freewebs.com/xwgs

:disco:

302 XWGS FAIRMONT C10 9" :
302 XW FAIRMONT 4 SP 9" :

Fact: an XW had a shaker before any XY did...... :Up_to_som

Should a 302 Cleveland really be called a 302 Geelong?? No 302's with a Cleveland block where built in Cleveland
XW_GS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2006, 02:57 PM   #37
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

PFM as there seems more older cars. They seem to be a bit more down to earth practical cars done by 'normal' people......if that makes sense! But please no more 'Meyers Mustangs' doing burnouts! Past its use by date

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2006, 09:25 AM   #38
Donut King
Officially Unemployed!

Perana is correct in saying Street Fords is getting rid of the sms ads, unfortunately we kind of inherited them from the other magazines that were published by the company at that time, but recently there has been a shift in managements thinking and now they realise they degrade the mag and turn buyers away, so they are being phased out over the next few issues.

Also the comment on us becoming like HOT4's magazine, it's not something we are going to do regularly (the girl shot with the car on the cover) however in some cases the car suits it, and this was one of the instances. Plus the workshops who did the work on the car requested that we shoot the car with a model (which they supplied). We realise that most of the readers just buy the mag for the cars.

To the guy who thinks we cover too much XR6T stuff, well you have to realise that we need to make the mag appeal to more than one just person, there are a lot of guys who prefer late model cars, and a lot who like the turbos, so they get a run in the hope of making the mag apeal to them. While it's not possible to make a mag that appeals to everybodies tastes, we like to think we are doing pretty well so far. Thats not to say that there aren't late model cars other than the turbo, its just that feature worthy tubos seem to be the late model car which is easiest to find at this point.

We might be a newbie on the scene but we've made quite an impact so far, with owners actively seeking us out because of the quality of our photography amongst other things. We even had howard astil say that the feature we did on his rock Fairlane was the best he had seen.

But in the end, like you guys we just think its good that there are a decent amount of ford magazines out there now, we were neglected for far too long

Donut King is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2006, 09:53 AM   #39
Falcon_Phill
1967 XR Falcon

There just bloody ads, their in almost every magazine these days. Including PC magazines, whats the big deal. Your all grown ups.
Falcon_Phill is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2006, 07:30 AM   #40
TUF514
Banned

yeah i get em all as well, but id say street fords.

street machine fords has so many ad's, and i know they all do, but im abit over street machines anything now.
TUF514 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2006, 10:37 AM   #41
blownvn
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumpieez_xb_ute
yeah i get em all as well, but id say street fords.

street machine fords has so many ad's, and i know they all do, but im abit over street machines anything now.

Actually I take offense to that, Street Machine Fords has had less than 23 pages of ads each issue for the last 5 issues. I think 22.5 pages out of 148 is more than reasonable and it's a lower ad count than either Street Fords or Performance Ford.

So I pulled a couple of issues off the shelf and counted the ads.

Performance Ford (April 2006) 28.5 pages of ads (not counting three pages of Ford new car prices) in 132 total pages.

Street Fords (Issue 11) 48 pages of ads in 132 total pages

Street Machine Fords (Issue 7) 22.5 pages of ads in 148 pages.

If you don't like the magazine, fine I can accept that, but don't go writing bull.

Facts:

*Street Machine Fords has the highest page count (148 pages)
*Street Machine Fords has the lowest ad count (22.5 pages)
*Street Machine Fords outsells the other two magazines

I guess we're doing something right.

While it's interesting to see the poll, it actually has no meaning on a site sponsored by Performance Ford Magazine.
blownvn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2006, 02:43 PM   #42
Dean

While this site is sponsored by PFM, I would have to go with Street Machine Fords.
Speaking from experience, my car has been featured in PFM a few years ago and I was extremelly disappointed not only did the write up make me sound like a fool but half of the photos were printed back to front and really dark.

Don't get me wrong I was appreciative of the magazine coverage but it just wasn't very professional. I also have a friend who's car is featured in the latest edition and he is really disappointed also, firstly there was no heading for his write up and there were at least 3 full page adds betwen the write up.

Last year my car was featured in Street Machine, The original story was for Street Machine Fords, but it got poached by the parent magazine and then the photo's and story were redone. This magazine was much more professional in it's approach and it's layout, plus you get to proof read before it goes to print.

Cheers
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2006, 03:02 PM   #43
montyv8
Turbo Dinosaur FTMFW

I buy all three, just for something to read...
they all occasionally have blatant mistakes, like the article in Street Fords on the orange XF with the snakeskin interior. A lot is said about the boss motor, and the clevo heads, but look at the pics.... windsor rocker covers?

but meh, they all have puurdy pics of some cool cars, so i'll keep buying them

oh and yes, those mob. phone ads suck ***.
Old 25-05-2006, 03:52 PM   #44
MRJUCY
Fordless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean
plus you get to proof read before it goes to print.
I was the other way when my XD was in PFM I got to read it first but for SMF I didn't but PFM has changed editors a couple of times since then so their policy might have changed. I didn't really lose any sleep over it tho.
MRJUCY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2006, 04:33 PM   #45
Donut King
Officially Unemployed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blownvn
Facts:

*Street Machine Fords has the highest page count (148 pages)
*Street Machine Fords has the lowest ad count (22.5 pages)
*Street Machine Fords outsells the other two magazines

I guess we're doing something right.

While it's interesting to see the poll, it actually has no meaning on a site sponsored by Performance Ford Magazine.
I'll add another for you Scott ;)

*Street Fords and Performance Ford are out twice as often as Street Machine Fords

Though I agree about the validity of the poll

Old 25-05-2006, 08:23 PM   #46
blownvn
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donut King
I'll add another for you Scott ;)

*Street Fords and Performance Ford are out twice as often as Street Machine Fords

Though I agree about the validity of the poll
Yeah, that's a pain but what am I gonna do?

With fuel prices the way they are, the whole market is in a slump and sales seem to be down across the whole industry.

Aren't you guys (PFM and SF) both monthly now? Then you'd be out three times as often as SMF.

Mark - I usually only get owners to proof read the story if they request it. Most of the time people are happy with what we write.
Was Paul Beck still the editor back then? Paul's a nice bloke.
Old 25-05-2006, 08:26 PM   #47
blownvn
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I also have a friend who's car is featured in the latest edition and he is really disappointed also, firstly there was no heading for his write up and there were at least 3 full page adds betwen the write up.
I was disappointed seeing Paul's XT in PFM too. :(
Old 25-05-2006, 11:11 PM   #48
MRJUCY
Fordless

Quote:
Mark - I usually only get owners to proof read the story if they request it. Most of the time people are happy with what we write.
Yeah you mentioned it at the time, as I said I wasn't too worried so I trusted you with it.

Yes Paul was the editor then, he is a good fella, always has a chat when I see him at shows, drags, events etc. He is a member here too, only comes on or posts now & again tho.
MRJUCY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2006, 09:55 AM   #49
Dean

Quote:
I was disappointed seeing Paul's XT in PFM too. :(
Yeh, That was done some time ago and he didn't think it was going to see the light of day.
Although it looks similar it has been repainted, added all the stainless trim and a heap more chrome in the engine bay..plus changed the rego plates. One of the best XT's around in my book. But I understand what your saying Scott.

One question for you.. How can I get a copy of the disk from the photo shoot from SM, I have the one from SMF but I would like the studio shots.

Cheers

Dean.
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2006, 10:12 AM   #50
Donut King
Officially Unemployed!

Quote:
Yeah, that's a pain but what am I gonna do?

With fuel prices the way they are, the whole market is in a slump and sales seem to be down across the whole industry.

Aren't you guys (PFM and SF) both monthly now? Then you'd be out three times as often as SMF.

Yeah we're both monthly.. B2 and the guys in the office keep saying you guys are out bi-monthly, i didn't think that was the case (yet?) but then I thought they may have been paying more attention than I was.

Old 26-05-2006, 10:34 AM   #51
blownvn
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
One question for you.. How can I get a copy of the disk from the photo shoot from SM, I have the one from SMF but I would like the studio shots.

Cheers

Dean.
You'll have to give Simon Telford a call about that one mate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donut king
Yeah we're both monthly.. B2 and the guys in the office keep saying you guys are out bi-monthly, i didn't think that was the case (yet?) but then I thought they may have been paying more attention than I was.
Unfortunately we're still quarterly.
Old 26-05-2006, 10:41 AM   #52
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Quote:
Im really surprised to see this type of comment, are all the members stooges that they cannot make up their own minds as to answer the poll?

Or do you have a hidden message behind that comment?
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2006, 11:04 AM   #53
ratman
krunch krunch hsv 4 lunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJUCY
Yes Paul was the editor then, he is a good fella, always has a chat when I see him at shows, drags, events etc. He is a member here too, only comes on or posts now & again tho.
Having had cars featured in all 3 and for my 2c worth, PFM went downhill very fast after Paul's departure, nice professional guy and the feature cars/direction the mag was heading was great. I had my XY featured in one of the earlier issues under the previous owner, only gripe was the images looked a little washed out - the colour looked yellow not orange but I'll put that down to printing process. The latest issue I feel is pretty haphazard in layout, content and graphic, none of the cars really excite me either but thats just my opinion.
Street machine fords is pretty polished but needs to come out more often, I'm sure there are more nice fords both past and present that could justify a monthly issue. Again the XY and a few mates cars were featured in SM but I know plenty of good pics that weren't used that could be rehatched for the fords specials.
Street Fords, for me, is a top mag, awesome cars, graphics / layouts are very well thought out - and getting better, more tech articles are coming into it and (not at the expense of features either) what I really like is they are not afraid to print prices of mods, got the latest issue last night, very cranky xw on the cover, xf, xa coupe, xr6t, ba ute, laser all as feature cars - can't get a more rounded coverage of fords in one issue - good effort.
In the end I buy all 3 because I'm one eye ford blind but do flick through pfm before I pay for it to see if i really want it, the other 2 are a known quantity - always something that I'll like.
No disrespect to pfm as a site sponser but they aren't the new kids on the block anymore - have to lift the game with the competition now, but I'm sure there will be others that disagree.
ratman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post