Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 23-09-2007, 09:39 PM   #31
3.9from hell
hoons cause global warmin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentles
i half agree with what you have said and half disagree.

t5 > btr in 1/4 mile driving experience and fuel economy.

the part i do agree with is 1/4 times dont lie. however they dont tell the full story either. plenty of people have dropped up to 1 full second in their 1/4 times by converting to t5 and nothing else. there are also people who have lost time but guess what? im willing to bet they cant drive worth or dont have the tyres to handle the launch. my car was easily twice as fun to drive and very noticably quicker once it was converted.

or there auto wasnt working properly to start with? im not saying that in a stocker a manual wont be much more lively, it will but if u go in search of performance by shelling out on your running gear, ie t5 conversion, then upgrading your auto makes more sense imho, and most of the performance lacking in a btr is as a result of the tall 1st gear, as has been stated. this is more than made up for with a decent stally such as jmms product, and at under 700 bucks its a bit cheaper than a t5. at the end of the day tho its a personal preferance thing, i miss my manual from time to time. but i see more potential in my BTR
3.9from hell is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2007, 09:45 PM   #32
bentles
Banned

oh yes in certain situations the glorified auto is going to beat the t5, however on 90% of the cars in this club the exact same car with a manual gearbox instead of an automatic the manual will be quicker.

for example...

a stock 4l inline 6 el xr6.

change the diff to 3.7:1 and a decent clutch and t5 vs a 4.11 diff btr auto with stallie and shift kit, the manual will still kill the auto but once you get more and more power running through it the more need for the automatic to get it down the track quicker.

fast cars need automatics not slow cars and 90% of the cars in this club are slow (nothing personal against anyone its just a fact)
bentles is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2007, 09:56 PM   #33
3.9from hell

Quote:
oh yes in certain situations the glorified auto is going to beat the t5, however on 90% of the cars in this club the exact same car with a manual gearbox instead of an automatic the manual will be quicker.

for example...

a stock 4l inline 6 el xr6.

change the diff to 3.7:1 and a decent clutch and t5 vs a 4.11 diff btr auto with stallie and shift kit, the manual will still kill the auto but once you get more and more power running through it the more need for the automatic to get it down the track quicker.

fast cars need automatics not slow cars and 90% of the cars in this club are slow (nothing personal against anyone its just a fact)

thats a fair call i guess. dont think u wil be to popular for saying it tho :togo:
Old 23-09-2007, 09:58 PM   #34
3.9from hell

and id have to see the 3.7 t5 beat the 4.11 btr to beleive it
Old 23-09-2007, 11:15 PM   #35
89 S-PACK

ive had both... a btr auto and a manual

the auto sucked hence why i sold it. manual is more fun to drive.and in my opinion more economical.

the auto averaged 400ks to a tank of lpg and 350 on pet
basically stock apart from being lowered

the manual averages 550+ ks to a tank of lpg, 500 on petrol
this thing aint stock, done more to this one than what i did to my old one

and yes the tanks were the same size in both cars

this is mainly highway driving too
and the bizzare thing is both the diff ratios were identical ! (currently running 2.92)

the s-pack isnt slow... ive had a few people upset with me cos my i6 managed to kill their worked i6 with auto off the lights.and they get even more upset when i rub it in i did it on lpg!

02 (VX) Holden Commodore Equipe series 2 S/wagon.
Manual, Lsd, Catback, Svsi lpg.
still a nice reliable upgrade from the old magna..
89 S-PACK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2007, 11:29 PM   #36
mntxr
Jamie is the name

i do a few convertions at work and all the time teh custmers are very happy with the power diffrence but i have owned and el in a auto and i loved it but now i have teh manaul it goes taht little bitt harder than my auto did
Old 23-09-2007, 11:31 PM   #37
bentles
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.9from hell
and id have to see the 3.7 t5 beat the 4.11 btr to beleive it
8 of the top 10 quickest Eseries on the fordmods 1/4 mile registry are manual.

http://fordmods.com/forums/400m.php?pageid=30
Old 23-09-2007, 11:43 PM   #38
blur1
el wagon

where does it say manual or auto?
blur1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2007, 11:47 PM   #39
Dezza
Parts bin special

WTF? That top one looks a bit suss! A 9.47 at 150.00 mph from an EA GL 3.3L (I think he means 3.2) CFi! That's gotta be fake.

BTW If you click on the usernames, it has the details of them.

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2007, 11:58 PM   #40
bentles
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ea_silver_ghia
WTF? That top one looks a bit suss! A 9.47 at 150.00 mph from an EA GL 3.3L (I think he means 3.2) CFi! That's gotta be fake.

BTW If you click on the usernames, it has the details of them.
yep the top one is a joke and i didnt include it in my extensive research
Old 23-09-2007, 11:59 PM   #41
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.9from hell
thats a fair call i guess. dont think u wil be to popular for saying it tho :togo:
How so?
Truth hurts dosent it...

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2007, 11:59 PM   #42
3.9from hell

Quote:
8 of the top 10 quickest Eseries on the fordmods 1/4 mile registry are manual.

http://fordmods.com/forums/400m.php?pageid=30

ok dude im not tryin to start a s!!!fite here aye, il get back to ya wen i got my BTR finnished : most of my mates swear by there t5s but ive seen a lot of em starting to shear drive gears lately, anything over 200rwkw seems to kill em pretty quick. one mate of mine has gone 4 a t56 conversion in his vr clubby 4 that reason. and i know of one eb 4l turbo owner on here who has destroyed 3 t5s so im not interested in goin down the t5 path anymore. but thats just me
Old 24-09-2007, 12:12 AM   #43
Xr6n/a

stock manual usualy beats stock autos (except in the new zf autos case of the gt and typhoon but thats another debate) worked auto should beat worked manual if not of the line then in the end anyway.
Old 24-09-2007, 12:14 AM   #44
bentles
Banned

are you going forced induction? if not t5 will handle pretty much any na power you make with an i6 as the top na i6's top out at around 180rwkw and the turbos make that with very basic setup. also if you use dodgey fluids in the t5 they will not handle nearly as much power as if you use the correct fluids for the power level. ive heard of eseries running 240rkw (forced) and the t5 handles it beautifully others have no luck after 150rwkw.

because these cars are all getting on in age now even a well maintained t5 can still be getting very worn out nowadays.

considering you can pickup the box alone for 127$ at a jollies its not that big a deal to replace just the box...

but if going forced stick with btr or a tko600 or t56 but they require lots of work to get running (read rollins thread on his t56 if its still available)
Old 24-09-2007, 12:15 AM   #45
bentles
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xr6n/a
stock manual usualy beats stock autos (except in the new zf autos case of the gt and typhoon but thats another debate) worked auto should beat worked manual if not of the line then in the end anyway.
the zf is quicker because it has good ratios and can change very quickly. i remember seeing a video on youtube about a typhoon doing a burnout and the gearchange from 2nd to 3rd you can see a gap in the burnout rubber about 4cm wide lol.

ahhh here it is
http://youtube.com/watch?v=FLuF2cHTFCM
Old 24-09-2007, 12:31 AM   #46
3.9from hell

Quote:
are you going forced induction? if not t5 will handle pretty much any na power you make with an i6 as the top na i6's top out at around 180rwkw and the turbos make that with very basic setup. also if you use dodgey fluids in the t5 they will not handle nearly as much power as if you use the correct fluids for the power level. ive heard of eseries running 240rkw (forced) and the t5 handles it beautifully others have no luck after 150rwkw.

because these cars are all getting on in age now even a well maintained t5 can still be getting very worn out nowadays.

considering you can pickup the box alone for 127$ at a jollies its not that big a deal to replace just the box...

but if going forced stick with btr or a tko600 or t56 but they require lots of work to get running (read rollins thread on his t56 if its still available)

yeah the guy with the clubby has 180rwkw. but he drives it pretty hard hence the breakage id say and yeah im lookin at sum decent power outa my turboed settup so its not 4 me, i do miss driving a manual sumtimes like i said but autos are the future in my oppinion
Old 24-09-2007, 12:32 AM   #47
bentles
Banned

oh i didnt realise you were going forced. keep the auto then

or get a tko600

edit: oh hehe im an idiot ive read your build thread but only saw your name thought you were hoping on a miracle getting like 180rwkw out of a 3.9 ea or something through an auto
Old 24-09-2007, 12:50 AM   #48
3.9from hell

Quote:
oh i didnt realise you were going forced. keep the auto then

or get a tko600

edit: oh hehe im an idiot ive read your build thread but only saw your name thought you were hoping on a miracle getting like 180rwkw out of a 3.9 ea or something through an auto

lol nah your rite mate, im a bit off subject anyway
Old 24-09-2007, 06:01 AM   #49
normxb
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Location: Sitting on the Dunny , Contemplating "What to do Next".

For general road/street driving I prefer the "Good Old Manual" , I've had 12 Manual's and 9 Auto's . With a Manual , I find I have much more control over the car , as in using the gears in braking etc. I'm just not as comfortable in an Auto .
Both my daughters Lasers are 5sp, and fuel consumption is much better than their friends Auto's . 5th gear is Overdrive same as 4th in an Auto .

I had an XD once and used to get 30mpg loaded (too late to work out L/100k's) also less Brake wear , I used to get around 60,000k' front and 180,000k's rear

Our ED Fairmont is Auto , but not by choice , buying S/Hand you've got to take what you get . The Mrs spent weeks on the phone & Net looking for a Manual 5sp ED S-Pac Wagon (her choice) , but couldn't find one at the time .

Over the 1/4 , on a strip I can't comment , No experience , but as for Circuit Racing , Manual is a Must , how many Auto's do you see on the track . The last one I remember was Bathurst in 1967 , a XR Falcon raced buy a "Police Club" of all things and they were Lap's down in the first hour or so because of "Lack of Brakes" .
My old Sports Sedan Race Car has got 4 wheel Disc's (one of the first in Sydney , 1970) and there's no way I could get the same Lap times with Auto .

So I guess it's personal preference I suppose , be boring if everyone was the same .

Keeping FORDS in the family

(Embarressment :yeees: , Son now has a "Camira" : )
"Look Right , Look Left , Look Right , BEFORE crossing Roads"
normxb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post