The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-07-2022, 06:06 PM   #31
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: BMW rolls out heated seat, steering wheel subscriptions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
I'm not a fan of heated seats, feels like you've shat ya dacks IMO
So BMW only offer 3 year warranty and OS so far are moving to a subscription model......when will the sheeple finally wake up...

I'm the opposite, never going to buy a car without them if possible....leave home with sore back, 10km later all good...had them installed in our Terry last year and in my Vito after I took what was on the dealer floor and didn't want to place an order with the heated seat option.....and if you follow the 3 S's you won't feel like a fully nappy in the morning on the way to work...
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 15-07-2022, 06:21 PM   #32
M&Ms
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe View Post
I love them in winter, wish all my cars had them. I'll take heated seats of A/C if given the choice.
Agree, heated seats and heated steering is enough for me most times, don't need the AC at all
MY18 Black WRX STi Spec-R
Previous:
'16 White FGX XR8
'09 Black FG FPV GT 5th Anniversary
'04 Blueprint BA XR8
'97 Mocha Foam EL Fairmont
M&Ms is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2022, 06:59 PM   #33
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Being an avowed Luddite, my opinion would be obvious

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2022, 07:33 PM   #34
Metdevil

I thought there would be a thread about this somewhere
This is exactly the sort of thing I was talking about a few months back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metdevil View Post
Can I just say that a car is the very last thing I want to be utilising the latest tech :p
We live in a world where power tools come with bluetooth connectivity, printers refuse to print unless you download an app and use their ink, and TVs lose functionality after having support dropped after only a year.

The last thing I want is to have my car refuse to start because I haven't installed the latest firmware update. If they really wanted to, they could lock cars to single owners and completely cripple the used car market by charging subsequent owners for an 'unlock key' to get it out of limp mode.

We all know how quickly tech evolves, phones and computers are considered 'outdated' after being only months old. Our FG Falcons came with iPhone connectivity only for Apple to change the plug they use.

I'm perfectly fine with keeping tech out of cars, let's go back to cassettes
Metdevil is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 15-07-2022, 07:52 PM   #35
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had another thought, ...say you're buying a second hand one of these and the previous owner or car yard had the bare minimum features activated...how would you test everything before buying to ensure it's all working and how would you go about getting things fixed if you only discovered after taking ownership that some of the features were broken. Buyer beware is one thing but imagine having to take out some form of "free trial subscription" of every feature to ensure all works...for every car you look at while shopping...or could you have a "retail" mode so everything is active for a road test (I'm talking second hand non-BMW dealers)?
Old 15-07-2022, 08:12 PM   #36
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith View Post
So BMW only offer 3 year warranty and OS so far are moving to a subscription model......when will the sheeple finally wake up...

I'm the opposite, never going to buy a car without them if possible....leave home with sore back, 10km later all good..
^^^^^This, it's great after a good gym session as well. Or when driving to work early in the morning in winter.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-07-2022, 08:25 PM   #37
Metdevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith View Post
I had another thought, ...say you're buying a second hand one of these and the previous owner or car yard had the bare minimum features activated...how would you test everything before buying to ensure it's all working and how would you go about getting things fixed if you only discovered after taking ownership that some of the features were broken. Buyer beware is one thing but imagine having to take out some form of "free trial subscription" of every feature to ensure all works...for every car you look at while shopping...or could you have a "retail" mode so everything is active for a road test (I'm talking second hand non-BMW dealers)?
You can usually test those sorts of features with an OBD2 device. Though of course, they would purely test for functionality only.

But also, I really don't think BMW were thinking about the second-hand market at all when they were considering this.
Old 15-07-2022, 09:35 PM   #38
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You can usually test those sorts of features with an OBD2 device. Though of course, they would purely test for functionality only.

But also, I really don't think BMW were thinking about the second-hand market at all when they were considering this.
But maybe they are, in that a BMW dealer can only unlock the features for a secondhand buyer to test the features...
Old 15-07-2022, 10:12 PM   #39
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This is 100% retarded as far as subscription services go

First you have to fit the hardware in any case, so it saves nothing. If you don't need heated seats well you just don't turn the button on. Big fail
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2022, 10:19 PM   #40
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

🤡🌏
This is just a precedent to charge you a monthly fee for all features.

You will buy a new car, have a $600 finance payment a month then $400 subscription payment for apple car play, adaptive cruise control, heated seats, cooled seats, heated steering wheel, street sign recognition, powered tailgate, air suspension adjustment, dual transfer case, locking diff, automatic high beam.

No company is doing this stuff for the benefit of the customer. It's to make them more money for little to no extra work on their part.

The optimist in me thinks I only might want heated seats for 1 or 2 months a year. If I own the car for 5 years or so it may be cheaper than paying for the feature outright, but the realist in me sees it as a company testing the waters to see if they can get more money for nothing.
Ben73 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2022, 10:29 PM   #41
Falcon SXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Seems like car companies trying to work out a way to make up for lost revenue from servicing when they go electric.
AU Fairmont
BA MK2 XR6 Turbo
Now
XDUB
Falcon SXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2022, 07:40 PM   #42
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My 1 year old Ford Fiesta ST made in Germany, came with heated front seats (3 settings- warm, hot, sauna) and heated steering wheel for no subscriptions.

Next thing is that BMW will place an electronic sump plug and charge a subscription for plug unlock every 15,000 kms for the benefit of automatic opening.

BMW should really look at providing a heated knob for manuals, lots of people would likely pay for a hot knob.....

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
asagaai is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 16-07-2022, 08:26 PM   #43
GCRXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
https://www.drive.com.au/news/bmw-au...ions-detailed/

Its starting gents and non gents, it wouldn't be too long before the IT industry influenced the grubby bean counters in automotive with their practices - cars come with features like dash cams, heated seats et al but are locked away under software subscriptions with monthly/yearly fees to be able to use them.

I think we're seeing the future of automotive unravel here, even though you buy the car it is still not yours to use it how you wish without paying extra fees to access features.

Its not happening here in Australia - yet.

I suspect we won;t have trim levels anymore, just one model which has all the hardware but monthly subscription fees to access the features what you'd usually pay more for in a higher spec car.
Well Franco, it's much like that with some computer software. A well known security program has been adding features for some months now, some even upgrades to what is already, or was, a part of the program, for an extra fee.

I can see the day when we pay to go to a public loo (as in Europe), then pay extra for the paper, then extra for the soap to wash......before you can leave the loo of course.
Old 16-07-2022, 10:43 PM   #44
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCRXR6 View Post
I can see the day when we pay to go to a public loo (as in Europe), then pay extra for the paper, then extra for the soap to wash......before you can leave the loo of course.
Too late, shopping centre toilets, Alice Springs

Last edited by GasoLane; 17-07-2022 at 09:34 AM.
GasoLane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 16-07-2022, 10:49 PM   #45
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Is there a corkage fee if you BYO paper and liquid soap?

Last edited by Citroënbender; 16-07-2022 at 10:51 PM. Reason: More apposite word - corkage - reads better than coined term “boggage”.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 17-07-2022, 01:40 AM   #46
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

People suggesting that not fitting a piece of hardware equals saving the company aren't across build processes. Having different looms and connections for each car increases build complexity and actually costs money. Standardising the build goes a long way to saving companies money. If it's all activated by a subscription, it generates on going revenue aside from the initial purchase.

As we move to EVs that need very little servicing and definitely not yearly, companies need a way to maintain their post purchase money stream.

From a second hand market, it would give people more choice as the car has all the features they'd want. Just pay and play. You'd never have to hunt for a car with specific features you want.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-07-2022, 03:44 AM   #47
Metdevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypez View Post
People suggesting that not fitting a piece of hardware equals saving the company aren't across build processes. Having different looms and connections for each car increases build complexity and actually costs money. Standardising the build goes a long way to saving companies money. If it's all activated by a subscription, it generates on going revenue aside from the initial purchase.

As we move to EVs that need very little servicing and definitely not yearly, companies need a way to maintain their post purchase money stream.

From a second hand market, it would give people more choice as the car has all the features they'd want. Just pay and play. You'd never have to hunt for a car with specific features you want.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
So what happens when the car companies move on to new cars and support is inevitably reduced? I've been sold phones, TVs, and other devices on a similar premise only to have all of those features revoked a few years later because the hardware is 'no longer supported'.
Same for GPS maps. The maps are still being updated, but hardware gets left behind, even if you're expected to pay for the map updates.

Tech advances too quickly for this to see continued support for more than five years or so.
3 users like this post:
Old 17-07-2022, 12:24 PM   #48
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
So what happens when the car companies move on to new cars and support is inevitably reduced?
Speak of the devil, but BMW have done precisely that - revoking support for Voice or Speech To Text in recently superceded models. Never mind that it may have been a factor in your original purchasing decision, or a necessary feature if you need it for work, etc.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-07-2022, 01:50 PM   #49
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

I’ve seen this with some tech companies supplying test equipment, the software and connectivity is via subscription
which can and will end immediately when your payments run out or there’s drop out in areas where web coverage is patchy.

I’m just imagining the no thanks coming from BMW buyers who are being subjected to this form of penny pinching.
It’s a great way to drive premium buyers into the waiting arms of Tesla……BMW counting on brand loyalty that’s about to evaporate.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2022, 03:15 PM   #50
prktkljokr
praek tih kl jo kr

Pretty sure the wiring for the heated seats could be bypassed as with the steering wheel, the subscriptions would be worth nothing to them after the first person works it out.

Anything that has a wire to operate could be bypassed pretty easy and if it has similar system monitoring like airbags with the resistance to show that it works as it should, a simple resistor would take care of that , the options that are software controlled would be a lot harder.

The only way to stop this sort of thing is to vote with your coin, pity that there are people that will pay for the subscriptions and the greedy bastards will add more to the mix, "oh you want to drive your car?, you will need to pay the subscription for that"
prktkljokr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2022, 09:05 PM   #51
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't think I will be trading my Mustang in for a BMW anytime soon.
Mustang has Air Cooled Seats also which is the best invention ever.
Feels like you are sitting on an Air Hockey Table in Summer.
They can take their subscription and shove it.
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2022, 10:38 AM   #52
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I'm not a fan of heated seats, feels like you've shat ya dacks IMO
In contrast if you feel the need to shat yr dacks the heated seats will calm yr inners till you get to that workplace toilet
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2022, 11:51 PM   #53
xr6turboford

I love the heated seats in my mustang. As I have a lower back injury the heat from the seats relaxes and reduces the back pain making it more comfortable to drive. It’s just a pain to get in and out of.
xr6turboford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2022, 09:41 AM   #54
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr6turboford View Post
I love the heated seats in my mustang. As I have a lower back injury the heat from the seats relaxes and reduces the back pain making it more comfortable to drive. It’s just a pain to get in and out of.
Going to say, maybe a Mustang isn't the best car for your back. heaven forbid an SUV might be better
Old 19-07-2022, 10:08 AM   #55
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
🤡🌏

The optimist in me thinks I only might want heated seats for 1 or 2 months a year. If I own the car for 5 years or so it may be cheaper than paying for the feature outright, but the realist in me sees it as a company testing the waters to see if they can get more money for nothing.
I wonder how they will structure the subscriptions?

Will you be able to subscribe month by month? Could you do it week by week or even day by day? On the end of the spectrum will it be year by year or even a plan you will need to purchase at the time of purchasing the vehicle?

Will some features be month by month and others year by year? For example, to stop people only subscribing to heated seats 3 months of the year, they make the minimum subscription length of time 6 months?

Will all manufactures structure their subscriptions the same? For example, will BMW offer a yearly subscription and Honda offer a monthly subscription?

Will all features be able to be subscribed to individually? For example, if you want heated seats will you need to subscribe to some sort of package like you need to with Foxtel?

When you do want to subscribe to a feature/package how will you go about it? Will it be instantaneous with a click of the mouse? Will you need to wait 24/48 hours for someone over in Germany to tick a box? Will you need to wait a week to take it into a dealership for some features?

So many questions...
PG2 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2022, 11:15 AM   #56
Metdevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG2 View Post
I wonder how they will structure the subscriptions?

Will you be able to subscribe month by month? Could you do it week by week or even day by day? On the end of the spectrum will it be year by year or even a plan you will need to purchase at the time of purchasing the vehicle?
You can subscribe by months at a time, so you can sub only during winter months if that suits. One month is the shortest period of the subscription.

Quote:
Will some features be month by month and others year by year? For example, to stop people only subscribing to heated seats 3 months of the year, they make the minimum subscription length of time 6 months?

Will all manufactures structure their subscriptions the same? For example, will BMW offer a yearly subscription and Honda offer a monthly subscription?

Will all features be able to be subscribed to individually? For example, if you want heated seats will you need to subscribe to some sort of package like you need to with Foxtel?
Most of the features are independent and cumulative. eg, heated seats start at £15/month, heated steering wheel start at £10/month, automatic high-beams start at £10/month. One month of all three start at £35/month.

Not everything can be done on monthly basis though. The entertainment subscription and safety camera information subscription, for example, are annual only.
Quote:
When you do want to subscribe to a feature/package how will you go about it? Will it be instantaneous with a click of the mouse? Will you need to wait 24/48 hours for someone over in Germany to tick a box? Will you need to wait a week to take it into a dealership for some features?

So many questions...
Your subscription is handled through BMW's ConnectedDrive Store, presumably it can be started/stopped through the My BMW App or a webpage.

Another thing which seems to have been skipped over (likely for dramatic effect) is that you can also pay a one-off, life-time fee per feature (£350 for heated seats. £200 for heated steering wheel. £200 for high-beam assist. etc.).
However, paying for unlimited access is still done through BMW's ConnectedDrive storefront, so you'd presumably need to remain logged in and connected to the vehicle. So any subsequent owners would have to pay again for access with their own account. Since services are on a 'by-vehicle' basis, the previous owner's unlimited access doesn't transfer to a new vehicle, they would need to pay for unlimited access again if they buy a new BMW.
It's also still subject to 'technical prerequisites', meaning they can still drop support for it, I guess...

https://www.bmw.co.uk/en/shop/ls/cp/connected-drive
Old 19-07-2022, 11:23 AM   #57
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Quote:
You can subscribe by months at a time, so you can sub only during winter months if that suits. One month is the shortest period of the subscription.

Most of the features are independent and cumulative. eg, heated seats start at £15/month, heated steering wheel start at £10/month, automatic high-beams start at £10/month. One month of all three start at £35/month.

Not everything can be done on monthly basis though. The entertainment subscription and safety camera information subscription, for example, are annual only.

Your subscription is handled through BMW's ConnectedDrive Store, presumably it can be started/stopped through the My BMW App or a webpage.

Another thing which seems to have been skipped over (likely for dramatic effect) is that you can also pay a one-off, life-time fee per feature (£350 for heated seats. £200 for heated steering wheel. £200 for high-beam assist. etc.).
However, paying for unlimited access is still done through BMW's ConnectedDrive storefront, so you'd presumably need to remain logged in and connected to the vehicle. So any subsequent owners would have to pay again for access with their own account. Since services are on a 'by-vehicle' basis, the previous owner's unlimited access doesn't transfer to a new vehicle, they would need to pay for unlimited access again if they buy a new BMW.
It's also still subject to 'technical prerequisites', meaning they can still drop support for it, I guess...

https://www.bmw.co.uk/en/shop/ls/cp/connected-drive
I was more talking generally if other manufacturers do something similar.

That's something that I never thought of - does the car need to be continually connected to some sort of BMW web site for these features operate? In other words, would the car need to log in to their website each time the car starts or if you need use a subscribed feature?

Please don't take these questions as being negative towards this type of thing.
PG2 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2022, 11:46 AM   #58
Metdevil

Quote:
I was more talking generally if other manufacturers do something similar.

That's something that I never thought of - does the car need to be continually connected to some sort of BMW web site for these features operate? In other words, would the car need to log in to their website each time the car starts or if you need use a subscribed feature?

Please don't take these questions as being negative towards this type of thing.
Yes, the car has a sim card in it, you need to have the mobile coverage available (Section 3.4). You do need to be logged in on the car (3.2).

https://btccontentwebappeu.azurewebs..._tc_gb-en.json
Old 19-07-2022, 12:45 PM   #59
marty351
Shenanigans..............

How long until airlines charge to "unlock" window seat views?
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-07-2022, 01:25 PM   #60
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty351 View Post
How long until airlines charge to "unlock" window seat views?
not quite as full on but Air NZ for some time has offered extra packages like "The works" where the level of infotainment is restricted by what you pay for your seat