Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 12-02-2010, 04:44 PM   #31
lukee20
Starter Motor

How do I check?
lukee20 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2010, 01:56 AM   #32
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukee20
How do I check?
Go to your Ford Dealer and they can do an ECU check at the first service. Should be standard part of the service but tell them to do it,anyway
Old 14-02-2010, 12:29 AM   #33
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm getting the same as Danny, mid 4's on a smooth hotmix highway cruise 5.3 ish on a rough country highway (at worst) and around 6 in the city. It was rubbish when it was new but a combination of being run in and flash updates has improved it alot
greenfoam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2010, 05:20 PM   #34
GoesLikeAZetec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

every brand new car ive driven in my life, has been crap when its new... after 10,000 you start seeing good improvements in general...
GoesLikeAZetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2010, 02:23 AM   #35
Kaotiktheory
Starter Motor

Hi there guys

Thanks for all the great responses. Its good to hear other peoples results.

Well my Fiesta is still very new. She's only done about 550km's so far.

I have the 1.6L manual Zetec. On a full tank of 98 RON I did 350km's. The onboard computer said it averaged about 10.5L/100km

So suffice it to say this is a bit crap. In no way am I expecting amazing results, especially since I mainly do city driving - but 10.5? Thats nearly double their claim of 6.1!

Someone has mentioned that I should give it some time since she's still new. How long do you think it takes for the good numbers to start kicking in?

Was everyone else having much higher fuel consumption when they first got their Fiesta? I have my first service in a month, so hopefully they can answer a few questions too.

Cheers and thanks again guys!
Kaotiktheory is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2010, 10:21 AM   #36
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Have you reset the trip computer mate?
Old 16-02-2010, 10:40 AM   #37
Kaotiktheory
Starter Motor

Yep reset everything a few times.
Old 16-02-2010, 12:22 PM   #38
GoesLikeAZetec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if u keep resetting the trip computer after only doing say 50kms it will always show higher readings.

when i take off from the lights after filling up.... then go up the steep hills to home.... it shows between 8 - 10ltrs... then by the end of the tank which is around 550kms its showing 6.--
Old 16-02-2010, 03:59 PM   #39
Kaotiktheory
Starter Motor

I only reset my trip on each new full tank. How old/how many km's you've done with your Fiesta GoesLikeAZetec?
Old 16-02-2010, 05:38 PM   #40
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Do you do extensive stop start traffic, do you get any lengths of road where you can go a few miles over 80km/h, is your journey plagued by hills and constant stop starts? Traffic lights etc? Do you drive your car hard or baby it? If I wanted I bet I could get my car into the 10's but I'd have to drive my car like a V8 super-car to do so!
Old 16-02-2010, 06:46 PM   #41
Noclaf
Starter Motor

Default Just for the economy?

This is all very interesting reading. Why go for something as small as this if you are just looking for economy when you can get as good or better in a bigger car? I've bought a gas dedicated BA Falcon as a second car - lots of room and all the goodies of the Falcon. There is a loss of grunt due to the gas but who cares, the economy looks great so far. In fact it may be as cost effective as our other car, which is a 2.0l diesel Volkswagen Jetta that has 50,000 klm on it that is averaging mid to high 5's and gotta love the torque of that - best is 5.2l/100 from Perth to Bendigo. I'll try and remember to come back when I have figures for the Falcon.
Noclaf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2010, 07:20 PM   #42
GoesLikeAZetec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotiktheory
I only reset my trip on each new full tank. How old/how many km's you've done with your Fiesta GoesLikeAZetec?
Its about 6months old now.. Just gone over the 7500kms.. My missus gets 6.0l - 6.5trs avg per tank with an avg km/h over the whole tank of around 43-44km/h..

On the only long trip we did, it was 5.1-5.3 with air con and cruise and full of luggage... Which I was pretty happy with.. A few members already get into the 4's easy on the highway.

Like Danny was saying though, if your giving it the herbs all the time you'd probably end up in the 9's or 10's.
Old 16-02-2010, 07:35 PM   #43
GoesLikeAZetec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noclaf
Why go for something as small as this if you are just looking for economy when you can get as good or better in a bigger car? I've bought a gas dedicated BA Falcon as a second car - lots of room and all the goodies of the Falcon. There is a loss of grunt due to the gas but who cares, the economy looks great so far.
My missus doesnt like driving big cars for her daily run about, but you'd have to ask the others here for their reasons. I dont think there'd be many in here that have the new fez based just on the fuel economy as nearly all so far are the 1.6 petty versions.

Also for instance we wanted a car with a factory warranty ( ie 3 to 5 years ) which you wont get with a BA/secondhand car.

The quality of those Jetta's is fantastic. The interior is awesome on those things. We sat in one and had a good look. But the 2ltr Diesel model starts at $35k from memory doesnt it?
Old 16-02-2010, 08:25 PM   #44
Noclaf
Starter Motor

Default Yep

You are close to correct Goes. We probably should compare the Fiesta to a Hyundai I30 or Polo TDi. Though I was just pointing out the fact that you can get just as good economy out of a much bigger car... that of course depends then on the size of your wallet. Everyone has his or her own reasons to buy a particular car. Even I would have looked at the Mondeo if it was out at the time, but VW were 1 step ahead of everyone else in getting diesels onto the Aussie market and I had promised SWMBO a new diesel sedan after a stint in Europe driving a diesel... and the Jetta is great value long term for those hard earned $$
Noclaf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2010, 12:39 AM   #45
Kaotiktheory
Starter Motor

Hey guys

Well to answer your previous question. My drive style is very calm and stable. I'm purposefully trying to keep the revs no higher than the 2.5-3k rate.

I mainly drive in the suburbs and city, rarely do I get on long highways and if I do its for a few minutes at a time. I wouldn't say I'm constantly going up high slopes, but Sydney's roads are very random.

Like I said I have the Manual 1.6 Zetec on 98 RON. Should I just wait til she's broken in a little more before I start judging? She's only done a total of 500km's. I hope this improves with time, because I know big 4WDs that have better figures!
Old 17-02-2010, 12:42 AM   #46
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noclaf
This is all very interesting reading. Why go for something as small as this if you are just looking for economy when you can get as good or better in a bigger car? I've bought a gas dedicated BA Falcon as a second car - lots of room and all the goodies of the Falcon. There is a loss of grunt due to the gas but who cares, the economy looks great so far. In fact it may be as cost effective as our other car, which is a 2.0l diesel Volkswagen Jetta that has 50,000 klm on it that is averaging mid to high 5's and gotta love the torque of that - best is 5.2l/100 from Perth to Bendigo. I'll try and remember to come back when I have figures for the Falcon.
I saw a nice picture of a BA Falcon the other day, they are such a horrible car to drive compared to a Fiesta

Last edited by greenfoam; 17-02-2010 at 12:47 AM.
Old 17-02-2010, 12:44 AM   #47
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Hey guys

Well to answer your previous question. My drive style is very calm and stable. I'm purposefully trying to keep the revs no higher than the 2.5-3k rate.

I mainly drive in the suburbs and city, rarely do I get on long highways and if I do its for a few minutes at a time. I wouldn't say I'm constantly going up high slopes, but Sydney's roads are very random.

Like I said I have the Manual 1.6 Zetec on 98 RON. Should I just wait til she's broken in a little more before I start judging? She's only done a total of 500km's. I hope this improves with time, because I know big 4WDs that have better figures!
It'll get heaps better, once it's run in and you can learn how to drive it. I can get around 6. something in the city and under 5 on the highways now with 40,000ks on it. Was sitting stable on 4.7l/100 for at least 200ks the other day comming home from Melbourne. The stickers are spot on once it's run in
Old 17-02-2010, 01:45 AM   #48
Kaotiktheory
Starter Motor

Hey Greenfoam

Good to hear that. So where you having higher fuel consumption when you first got your Fiesta?
Old 17-02-2010, 01:54 AM   #49
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Hey there RapidTyphoon,

Thanks for sharing that info. Very different to what I'm getting.

I live in central sydney and I do lots of short trips. But in no way am I pushing her at all. I always try to keep the revs below 2.5k, and so far the computer is saying I'm averaging 10.7/100k... (even after reseting it a couple of times) which has made me worry abit... hhhmmm... Since one of the main reasons I bought it was because how fuel friendly its supposed to be!

I read on another forum here that there was some sort of software update that helped?? hmmm... I'll see how much I get on a full tank and go from there.
my FG XR6 is reading 10.0/100k , but the actual figure is really about 10.3/100k. BUT AROUND THE CBD it would probably get over 13/100.
its just the city .
my GT would post about 22/100 in the CBD.
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2010, 05:11 PM   #50
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Hey Greenfoam

Good to hear that. So where you having higher fuel consumption when you first got your Fiesta?
Yes, it wasn't anywhere near 10l/100 but it used to struggle to do under 6.0 on the highway (now does 5.0 if not 4's)