Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 26-04-2009, 06:24 PM   #31
Tuddy200
Reaching for 200...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHATXR8
I will spell it out in more detail for those who are a little slow on the uptake:

I have seen a lot more people getting around ****ed and behaving badly who were NOT wearing Australian flags than I have seen ****ed and behaving badly who WERE wearing Australian flags.

I therefore believe that the inference that wearing the Australian flag leads to people to drink excessive amounts of alcoholic beverages and therefore behave badly whilst in public places to be flawed.

Do you now comprehend?
No, his logic isn't flawed, your just mis-understanding his point.

If your going to get "excessivly drunk" inturn making a fool of yourself, starting fights, yelling and screaming rude comments etc disgracing yourself and AUSTRALIAN Values (Which have gone down the drain lately in both young & old) then do not do so while holding her beloved National Flag claiming to be proud to be an Australian, might I add wearing it as if it was some sort of fashion statment.

I don't mind it at sporting matches, like cricket etc. or even Australia Day (As the only true Australia Day is 25th April/11th November). When it comes to ANZAC day I agree it shouldn't be used as a "shirt" not to say it CAN'T be draped across ones shoulders provided that the upper left be across the left shoulder when looking at the person from the back. (ie. looking at the flag). I believe it should also be "draped" horoziontly.

Im not going shout or scream at someone if they do different, as whats above is my opinion, just as along as they are doing so for the right reasons, and not just doing the fashion statment attention grabbing stunts most young people do today like 13 year olds in shorts you can't behind over in. :

One thing that did upset me when I visited my local (Ballarat) ANZAC Day service was when the ceremony started and the guests were talking, people just kept talking as if they were at the pub, alot of people were trying to listen and you just felt like yelling at people to STFU.

I don't think any of this is enough to break out a newspaper over as I'd hate to think all we remember of such a day of rememberance is a few little things that everyone would have a different opinion on anyway, or not why the day is there in the first place.

04' BA XR6 - Blueprint - 6 Speed with Rip Shift - HD Clutch
2.5"/BFGT Exhaust System with Quad Tips - 4490's Extractors
19" ROH Flares - 20% Underdrives - Interior Colour Coded - Sunroof - BOSS Bonnet
Stage 2 Crow Cam's - Crow Cam's Valve Springs - BPR Airbox
M86 LSD Diff with 4.1s - Upgraded Brakes with Slotted DBA 4000's
Leather Interior - Rear Power Windows

Projects Underway: Sound System
Tuddy200 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2009, 06:25 PM   #32
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

A very well written post.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2009, 06:33 PM   #33
xbgs351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ
So you think being wrapped in the flag of the country you love is wrong?? I think it is great to see, to me it doesn't get any more loyal than that. More of it i say.
Yes. It shows disrespect.
xbgs351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2009, 06:45 PM   #34
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Fly it, wear it, paint it, Anzac day, Australia day, Everyday ...... don't care really. If you are proud of your country and all that is symolised in the flag, do what you want with it and where ever you care to do it. No one has a right to tell me what and when I can wear it or fly it. Thats what they fought for ..........

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2009, 06:49 PM   #35
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Not getting smart - just trying to spell it out in clearer language so that can understand what I am saying.

There is no need for you to get high and mighty in flexing your great big Moderator muscles!
Flexed, I would say - LOL
Old 26-04-2009, 06:52 PM   #36
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by auslandau
Fly it, wear it, paint it, Anzac day, Australia day, Everyday ...... don't care really. If you are proud of your country and all that is symolised in the flag, do what you want with it and where ever you care to do it. No one has a right to tell me what and when I can wear it or fly it. Thats what they fought for ..........
It's not so much the wearing it part that people take issue with. It's the disrespect that is shown by some to the flag by sitting on it, dragging it and acting like a general tool whilst wearing it.

That is not what the ANZAC's fought for.
Old 26-04-2009, 06:56 PM   #37
xbgs351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Draping a flag around your shoulders is equivalent to French kissing your mother. You may love your mother, but French kissing her is clearly inappropriate.
xbgs351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2009, 07:02 PM   #38
Rob's 76 Effy
Lion Tammer

Quote:

The Aussie flag is more than just Anzac Day, i use mine as a table cloth
"When you push a car past 180mph, the world starts to get awfully fuzzy. When you go past 200mph it actually blurs. The Bugatti Veyron is mind-blowingly, stunningly brilliant. It deserves 12 stars. Simply as good and as fast as it gets"
Don't drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly
Rob's 76 Effy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2009, 07:04 PM   #39
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
It's not so much the wearing it part that people take issue with. It's the disrespect that is shown by some to the flag by sitting on it, dragging it and acting like a general tool whilst wearing it.

I have a blanket that I sit on and had a set of pillow cases that I dribbled on.

I just beleive its the fact that I am not going to have stones thrown at me or put into jail for wearing a pair of aussie flag jocks on Anzac day or any other day of the year. I would have thought that using the symbol of the flag in a patriotic way would be a good thing but obviously I am wrong.

I know what they fought for and most of it is to do with the freedom that we have .......... and this is one of them.

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2009, 07:13 PM   #40
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
I have a blanket that I sit on and had a set of pillow cases that I dribbled on.

I just beleive its the fact that I am not going to have stones thrown at me or put into jail for wearing a pair of aussie flag jocks on Anzac day or any other day of the year. I would have thought that using the symbol of the flag in a patriotic way would be a good thing but obviously I am wrong.

I know what they fought for and most of it is to do with the freedom that we have .......... and this is one of them.
Fair enough, the blanket and the pillow cases aren't an actual flag. Items depicting the aussie flag are great, it's just the use of actual flags that is the issue.
Old 26-04-2009, 07:30 PM   #41
Zed7fiddy
Temporary Australian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
I
They went to war to fight for a flag to stay upright?

Look, im as patriotic as the rest of you, and i am aware of the ethical responsibilitis of a flag touching the ground

And you mention that pillowcases and bedsheets are ok, so what about towels, socks, boxershorts?

The "Flag" that i wore the last three australia days was a item that was given to me in a tooheys new promotion that is actually designed as a cape. and i suggest all these yobbos are NOT going out and buying "official" flags and using them as capes when beer companies supply them for free for drinking a six pack.
Zed7fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2009, 07:32 PM   #42
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

I don't see a problem with it.

I wore my flag on Australia Day. It's called patriotism.

What grinds my gears, is all these flat brimmed, unit wearing mini truckers who get the southern cross tattooed on, stickers on everything, etc.

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2009, 07:35 PM   #43
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

I love the flag. I have one hanging on the back patio wall.Would I wear it as a cape..No! It's not me but I dont have an issue with others doing it..and sorry XR6 661 but I have a Southern Cross tattoo and I love it! :P
Old 26-04-2009, 07:38 PM   #44
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67-FKD
The "Flag" that i wore the last three australia days was a item that was given to me in a tooheys new promotion that is actually designed as a cape. and i suggest all these yobbos are NOT going out and buying "official" flags and using them as capes when beer companies supply them for free for drinking a six pack.
I have a problem with that because there are people who live in Australia who dont neccesarily drink themselves stupid every chance they get. For a beer company to support the notion of "go get wrecked then be a with a flag on your back" really annoys me, mainly because it seems to me that a lot of people think that drinking yourself stupid is an Australian way of life. I am as Australian as the next person but that is not a way of life to me - that's just bloody stupid.
Old 26-04-2009, 07:39 PM   #45
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

It isnt something i would do, but each to their own.

Theres only 4 places i believe our flag should be, full mast, half mast, draped over a casket or folded up and stored.

IMO if you want to show pariatism with a flag, drape a green and gold boxing kangaroo round ya neck!

Aussie, Aussie, Aussie.....
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2009, 07:46 PM   #46
mikestp
EF Ghia

It's good seeing people reppin for australia
Its no different to having twin aussie flags hanging off the back off ya ute
mikestp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2009, 07:50 PM   #47
Brent
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tuddy is pretty close to the mark IMO. Look, nobody is saying that you don't have the "right" to wear the flag. Of course you have the "right" to wear it......same as you technically have the "right" to do it whilst being drunk, obnoxious, with a Winnie Blue hanging out the side of your mouth.............but because it may be a legal and statutory right doesn't mean its moral and respectful. Therein lies the difference.

So, OK, if you really, really want to wear it out in public at certain events, then do it. Do it with your heart & soul. But please remember that you are wearing your country's emblem. Its token of its heart, soul and history. And you're out in public, on display......so for god's sake do it with respect. No excuse whatsoever for doing it whilst drunk, whilst being obnoxious, whilst acting the clown in front of your mates, or whilst engaging in any other anti-social behaviour. For some, this may mean a special effort and conducting themselves outside outside of normal behaviours. So be it. Pretty simple, and not a big ask really.
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2009, 08:05 PM   #48
Spanrz
Hmmmmmmm!!

To some of you, it might come across as silly but.

If any of you people have spent time in the USA, you would soon understand how patriotic they are about the flag.
Hell, I know, I married a Yank.

They are as patriotic about their flag as we are to Rugby or the AFL.

I think sometimes we should be, as the yanks are to their flag.

If you want to wear a flag, go for it, not going to call you a toss, but just don't over do it.

Spanrz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2009, 08:19 PM   #49
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Quote:
I love to see Aussies flying the Australian flag in public places.

Personally I can't stand people who whinge about proud young (or old, for that matter) Aussies who wrap themselves, wear or paint the Australian flag on themselves.

Perhaps Australia isn't the right country for you to be living in if you are offended by this type of patriotism if you are offended. I have heard that there are few ships with empty backloads heading towards Indonesia!!

Get over it.
Yeah o.k. maybe all my years as a scout and an army cadet taught me the flag was to be respected. If it were to touch the ground we were to burn it (never happened). This has nothing to do with whether or not I love my country but to me and the way I was brought up, I feel it is disrespectful. As I said no problem with showing your patriotism just don't wear the flag as a cape.
Spudz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2009, 08:26 PM   #50
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Could we resist the "this is what the diggers fought for" comments re the flag, as I find it demeaning to what they really fought for, and innacurate.

Our flag was not the official Australian Flag until the passing of the Commonwealth Flags Act in 1953, and royal assent in 1954.

So unless you're talking the Vietnam War....it simply wasn't the official national emblem
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2009, 08:31 PM   #51
IDT
Marko

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
How many of you actually realise that it is a sign of disrespect to allow the flag to touch the ground?
Ex soldier perhaps? That went out with wearing hats indoors. Need to remember they don't teach tradition or respect at school anymore.

My pet hate is the eureka stockade flag being flown by noddies who don't even know what it represents.
Old 26-04-2009, 08:34 PM   #52
FPVF6X189
FPV F6X

what annoys me the most is im yet to come across a AUSTRALIAN FLAG that is made in AUSTRALIA . I think it is pretty disgusting that we import our nations flag

:
Old 26-04-2009, 08:37 PM   #53
Zed7fiddy
Temporary Australian

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
I have a problem with that because there are people who live in Australia who dont neccesarily drink themselves stupid every chance they get. For a beer company to support the notion of "go get wrecked then be a with a flag on your back" really annoys me, mainly because it seems to me that a lot of people think that drinking yourself stupid is an Australian way of life. I am as Australian as the next person but that is not a way of life to me - that's just bloody stupid.

I am in fact one of those people, who didnt drink myself into oblivion, i support this country, i support the flag, what i had on my back was a peice of cloth that had been printed in a similar matter to the flag.... if bedspreads, towels, socks and jocks are ok... where do you draw the line my friend?
Zed7fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2009, 08:42 PM   #54
Hillbilly F Truck

I'm not entirely comfortable with this practice, but then i think, at least they're not burning it as some people promote and do, who live in this country. http://au.messages.yahoo.com/news/top-stories/1399984/
Hillbilly F Truck is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2009, 08:47 PM   #55
EBII Ghia

Unfortunately our national flag and the Southern Cross have been hijacked by nationalist thugs, as their skewed racist symbols.
EBII Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2009, 09:01 PM   #56
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This subject only seems to come up around Anzac Day and Australia Day.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2009, 09:33 PM   #57
DJR MAN
DJR Fan

Some have lost or never taught the meaning of respect when it come to the flag.

The flag isn't an item of clothing - its a flag - run it up a flag pole, wave it and display it proudly and fly the flag and if you love it - respect it.

The aussie flag printed on clothing and towels etc is not a "flag" - use it as intended, i.e. clothing etc.....
DJR MAN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2009, 09:45 PM   #58
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by melbzetec
Could we resist the "this is what the diggers fought for" comments re the flag, as I find it demeaning to what they really fought for, and innacurate.

Our flag was not the official Australian Flag until the passing of the Commonwealth Flags Act in 1953, and royal assent in 1954.

So unless you're talking the Vietnam War....it simply wasn't the official national emblem
Or unless you are talking about what the flag represents like we are. Doesn't matter what it looks like, just what it represents.
Old 26-04-2009, 10:36 PM   #59
BJ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbgs351
Yes. It shows disrespect.
And that would be your opinion just like mine.
BJ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2009, 10:53 PM   #60
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL_Mont
You can tell whether someone is bearing the flag for true pride or just to be loud and seek attention, the difference between the two is clear.
I agree with this.

But I've recently started to find a lot of the southern cross tattoos offensive, which makes me sad.
It's my flag too, but then a minority of people use it for their own purposes and tarnish it.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post